PDA

View Full Version : Pasific Fighters and 1946 still being played?

Firefitter
Jun-24-2013, 19:10
I was just wondering if these two game are still being played as well as Cliffs over Dover?

I only have COD and i was wondering if i should pick up the other titles as well ...

i used to have PF but lost it years ago so id have to buy it again which is not a big deal because its cheap..

thanks

The Fitter

Dutch
Jun-24-2013, 21:02
I wouldn't bother mate. Which sort of grieves me in a way. We all grew up with it, mostly, but unfortunately it simply looks too old by modern standards.

It's a fantastic combat flight simulator. But it's old. No matter how many updates or mods you care to install, it's the best combat flight simulator ever produced, but it's old.

I suppose a lot of us were looking forward to Cliffs of Dover being the start of the next ten years, but sadly, it wasn't to be. Shame.

Firefitter
Jun-24-2013, 21:27
Bah. Ok. Not a big deal. Don't get me wrong. I'm pleased with cod. Was just wondering.

Thanks!

Wulf
Jun-24-2013, 21:28
I wouldn't bother mate. Which sort of grieves me in a way. We all grew up with it, mostly, but unfortunately it simply looks too old by modern standards.

It's a fantastic combat flight simulator. But it's old. No matter how many updates or mods you care to install, it's the best combat flight simulator ever produced, but it's old.

I suppose a lot of us were looking forward to Cliffs of Dover being the start of the next ten years, but sadly, it wasn't to be. Shame.

Like Dutch said. Sad but true.

1lokos
Jun-24-2013, 22:56
i used to have PF but lost it years ago so id have to buy it again which is not a big deal because its cheap..

If you dont mind playing an old game you can buy il-2 Sturmovik 1946 - that contain PF and all another expansions - for ~5$ (http://www.gog.com/gamecard/il_2_sturmovik_1946).
Still active online - anyway, far from "old good days":

http://i40.tinypic.com/t7h3it.jpg

Sokol1

III./ZG76_Saipan
Jun-24-2013, 23:07
warbirds of prey has servers that use il2 1946 hsfx mod. pacific and Europe theatres and a clod server

Firefitter
Jun-25-2013, 08:15
I guess the other reason I ask is to find out about other games/sims that I can check out and possibly use my new trackir in! Pretty pumped about it. I'm also looking at that X52 but still in limbo about that. Thanks guys!

I'll be in the server practicing later tonight as well.

I should edit that to say "relevant" games

Fitter

Dutch
Jun-25-2013, 08:29
I guess the other reason I ask is to find out about other games/sims that I can check out and possibly use my new trackir in!

Well, the obvious ones are Rise of Flight, which is a free download to start with and covers WWI, and DCS World, which is also a free download of more modern combat, and includes a free Sukhoi Su25T.
RoF has full 6DOF, the Su25 doesn't, but the paid for modules for DCS do.

http://riseofflight.com/tryrof/en

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/world/dcs_world/

Of course you may know about these already. :D

P.S. The trusty but ageing Microsoft Flight Simulator X is also trackIR compatible, if you like flying around without guns or bombs a lot. :D Joking apart, the training for the private pilot's licence in MSFS was extremely useful for me in general 'learning to fly' terms. All the skills learned there are eminently transferrable to all flight sims. :thumbsup:

ATAG_Knuckles
Jun-25-2013, 08:44
Thumbs up to the X 52 BTW been using it for years

9./JG52 Ziegler
Jun-25-2013, 10:27
I was looking at ROF the other day. How would you compare that to Clod for online flying Dutch?

I like DCS for it's detail but there is not enough campaign in it IMO.

Dutch
Jun-25-2013, 11:51
I was looking at ROF the other day. How would you compare that to Clod for online flying Dutch?

Ah. Well. My suggestion above was in response to 'trying out my TrackIR' rather than a solid recommendation as such. :D. But I have been online with RoF a fair bit in the past, and it can be pretty interesting, with artillery spotting, reconnaissance, bombing and obviously dogfighting available. I particularly enjoyed the New Wings proper battle server. The chaps there all seem to like to have fun, not take things too seriously etc, which I haven't found with some servers.

I've always found the use of teamspeak a bit out of place with RoF though, simply because there was no radio then, so why have it now? But the alternative is using all the animated hand and flare signals in the game, which would be difficult to say the least.

How does it compare to Cliffs? In my opinion it doesn't come close, because of the limited number of objects, limited number of players etc. But if you fancy trying out life as 'Biggles of 266' it's fantastic. Also if I'm honest, I find the aircraft difficult to handle compared with WWII stuff, but that's just a question of practice I suppose.

My advice would be 'suck it and see'. It's free after all (as long as you don't get sucked in to buying everything available, like I did, and now it pretty much sits there doing nothing.....) :thumbsup:

ATAG_NakedSquirrel
Jun-25-2013, 23:58
Il2 isn't bad at all with the mods, I just wouldn't expect to play it multiplayer (there aren't many MP servers up with enough players.)

One warning with IL2, if you do get it, it is a task to install all of the mods and to get your config configured properly so that the graphics wind up looking "O.K." instead of terrible.

Anyhow, you can probably find IL2 Forgotten Battles for dirt cheap. (Make sure you get IL2 forgotten battles and not any of the other dozen titles companies are trying to sell. Il2 1946 Forgotten Battles is the last title in the line, and it's all you need.). With the mods, It has almost every plane that flew in and around WW2. While it might not have the same quality FM or graphics of modern games, it's still impressive IMO, mainly if you enjoy single-player.

Otherwise RoF and DCS are good options in their own. You can try both for free, so if you haven't bothered with either, they are worth a go..

Non flight sim games you might enjoy that use trackir are Freespace2, ARMA 2, or maybe racing games like F1.

I like DCS for it's detail but there is not enough campaign in it IMO.

If you want to try RoF, it is best to try either early afternoon (2pm CST) or sometimes late evening (8-9 pm cst). The community is smaller for WW1 games than WW2.

1lokos
Jun-26-2013, 12:34
Anyhow, you can probably find IL2 Forgotten Battles for dirt cheap. (Make sure you get IL2 forgotten battles and not any of the other dozen titles companies are trying to sell. Il2 1946 Forgotten Battles is the last title in the line, and it's all you need.).

Ops. Just to clarify. :D

"Il2 Forgothen Battles" is the first sequel for original IL-2 Sturmovik (2001) that came out in 2003.

The last - complete version (include all previous sequels and expansions, like Pacif Fighters), and compatible with Team Daidalos MODs and some (not all) third part MODs are the il2 Sturmovik 1946 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IL-2_Sturmovik_%28video_game_series%29), out in 2007.

It's all one need, now cost 4,99$. :thumbsup:

Sokol1

LuseKofte
Jun-28-2013, 00:39
At www.gog.com IL 2 is cheap and together with 1 patch you are running latest version 4.12. I fly it very much and enjoy every minute.
If you spend a little time installing mods to it.
Maps, effects and airplanes you want I can guarantee you som cheap good fun. The environment is up to better than clod. Flight characteristics is not.
At www.sas1946.com you can get a modact for it and you will have some cheap fun

14./JG5_Capt.Stubing
Jun-28-2013, 13:09
Just for clarification...

I say it's well worth the money (8 bucks) to give you one of the best WWII sims to date. While I love CLOD and what has been done by ATAG is still only BOB era aircraft and one theater. IL2 with the HFSX mods brings it to another level and not to mention the number of flyable aircraft spanning 1938 to Korea. Eastern EU to Western EU as well as the Pacific.

Spits vs 109s usually has a good number of players over the weekend. Usually 60+ players. There are a few other but I think they are mostly populated during EU hours.

The product to get is

IL2 1946 which has all of the original expansions. If you want to play with mods patch it up to 4.11.1 and stay away from the recent 4.12 official release which was about 2 weeks ago. HSFX seems to be the best mod at the moment. You simply can't go wrong for the money. Believe it or not even though it's pretty old they keep improving things. Great sim.

nynek
Jun-28-2013, 19:27
I was just wondering if these two game are still being played as well as Cliffs over Dover?

I only have COD and i was wondering if i should pick up the other titles as well ...

thanks

The Fitter

Install this

http://hyperfighter.sk/

and then in real time You'll know how many are try to kill each other.

Configuration and stuff problems... I'm here for You.

Bearcat
Jul-29-2013, 17:12
For the price it is being offered it is definitely worth it.. especially with the 4.12 patch. Don't expect CoD visuals and FMs/DMs though.. but all in all it is still a great product and for <$10 you can't beat it with a stick........ If you can run CoD well you should be able to max out 46.. The online is still pretty nice.. and for the combination of planeset and theater set and FM/DM it has no equal... including CoD .. for the moment at least .. but again .. it is not CoD from a sheer sim standpoint removing the planeset/theater options from your criteria. RoF is not bad at all.. I am not a WWI guy so it floats my boat but so much... but to get a decent picture of what BoS will be it is a good start.. DCS is great, especially if you like the modern day stuff but again that doesn't really float my boat but for a modern day simulation it is ACES and they also have the P-51 which is the finest virtual P-51 modeled to date.. I like it better than the A2A P-51 and now they have a fpr the moment AI FW-190 and a modded Me-109 to fly against. Recently it has been announced that RRG Studios headed up by Ilya "Luthier" Schevchnko is doing an upcoming WWII venture in conjunction with DCS similar to what 1c & 777 studios is doing with BoS so... Hopefully this will spell some golden years ahead for the 1939-1949 and beyond flight sim community.

baronWastelan
Sep-17-2013, 23:07

thanks

The Fitter

Yes there is a lot to see and do in Il-2:1946

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d63/baronWastelan/lightining00.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d63/baronWastelan/Hankow-sev-a4m.jpg

ATAG_EvangelusE
Oct-18-2013, 11:21
I think it is worth getting epecially if you want SP variety and more of a challenge. I still boot it up for something different regard ac, missions and campaigns. It does look a bit dated but there is a lot to enjoy for what it costs.

LuseKofte
Oct-19-2013, 19:40
I get tired of CLOD but never on IL2 , offline that is . Ofcourse it is outdated but it is the most modern game that has been out for 12 years. There is a huge comment for it compared to CLOD

Clammy
Oct-26-2013, 02:51
Do they still play it online? Big resounding yes to that.

Last night i fired the oldie up using hyperlobby and found some 200 people playing in servers with varying realism settings. Ok so not the prettiest game anymore but certainly playable and challenging enough to merit a lousy $5 IMO

Ubiquitous
Oct-26-2013, 04:03
Rise of flight dogfights have a different character to those in CoD: the machines are slower, but turn tighter, which means the action is often up close and personal with a relative shift of emphasis towards tight maneuvering. It should be stressed that RoF has an excellent dynamic campaign (called Career mode).

I, personally, am a big fan of the DCS P-51 module (I like the others too, but am especially keen of the WW2 bird). It doesn't have a lot of single player content, and multiplayer is not very active right now (should improve once the FW190 is released later this year and DCS WW2 next year), but the flight model is superb. Other games feel like you are flying a toy once you get used to the P-51.

9./JG52 Jamz Dackel
Oct-26-2013, 05:26
For the original OP..
Hell yes, lots to do still in 46 mate

Offline is a blast. plenty to choose from and do, great value for not a lot of pennies with all the addons HSFX and Ultrapack etc..Still have some AFJ members I'm trying to prize away from 46 to come here to CoD! :grrr:

Vlerkies
Dec-25-2013, 01:59
Does IL2 1946 run on Win7 64bit system?

I have all the old IL2 discs, and my boss's son has just got a pc and is hooked on flight sims, he is only 9 years old but flies like a champ.
Was thinking of passing on the IL2 1946 to him, but do not want to create disappointment if it does not run on newer op systems.

ATAG_Ezzie
Mar-03-2014, 05:14
Does IL2 1946 run on Win7 64bit system?

I have all the old IL2 discs, and my boss's son has just got a pc and is hooked on flight sims, he is only 9 years old but flies like a champ.
Was thinking of passing on the IL2 1946 to him, but do not want to create disappointment if it does not run on newer op systems.

Yeah it runs on win7 64bit. I've just bought a win7/64 pc and hsfx7 runs very nicely. Had to fiddle with settings to get max quality but looks good at 1920 1200 now.

Should be running clod this week hopefully but will keep playing il2 from time to time for the variety I think.

Ezzie

Mrmaverick
Mar-07-2014, 07:58
I run mine with the HSFX mod, dont fly online with it but if there is no one online playin CLIFFS it has a lot better AI and more mods and campaigns to count, it maybe gettin old but once you start getting into a dogfight the last thing your worried about is how the scenery looks. Mainly fly spits on CLIFFS but 109's on Il2 1946, REBIRTH of HONOR is a good add on if you can still get it, 350 plus missions and 60 odd cut scenes for a good storyline to follow. It still gets the odd updates so its not dead. So for single player 1946, online CLIFFS, has heaps of maps and more planes to shake a stick at. I wont be uninstalling it anytime soon.

FS~Fenice_1965
Mar-09-2014, 15:42
IL2 1946 is still the most played sim online. No other sim makes the numbers that 1946 has online.
Obviously with the time more modern sims will catch up also on this field, but currently 1946 is still something worthy to have a place on every simmer's HDD.

LuseKofte
Mar-16-2014, 09:04
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v164/Phas3e/foreign_4_zpsb857ec51.jpg~original

The light and textures has become very up to date as this picture from a very talented skinner Phas3e

limbo696
Mar-18-2014, 12:44
There's some really bad advice at the beginning of this post, in my opinion. The simple truth is that IL-2 1946 (with HSFX and various other mods) simply blows CLOD out of the water in many different elements, especially with regards to the diversity of experience that 1946 provides. Also, there are still many more players playing 1946 versus CLOD. (Although the ATAG CLOD server is the consistent go to place to find a quality WWII battle at almost all times of the day.) The graphics in CLOD are significantly worse in some aspects too, imo. For example, if you look out in the distance, CLOD always distorts bodies of water by inflating them terribly. Obviously, CLOD does some things much better than 1946, including the more complex aircraft modelling, but CLOD is permanently stuck on one map and one battle which is the most serious limitation. 1946 can model practically any battle in WWII--there's no comparison here.

One thing that nobody has mentioned yet is that you can play in very complex, multiplayer campaigns in 1946. For example, I am currently participating in SEOW (Scorched Earth Online Warfare) campaigns that historically recreates the American bomber raids on the oil refineries at Ploesti and the Mediterranean battles around Malta. Ghost Skies, another campaign system, is currently running a hypothetical 1946 battle between the Americans and the Soviets in the Austrian Alps and the results of the previous battle influence the next scenario. UP to like 80 people play in these campaign battles at one time. Does CLOD have anything similar going currently?

If you're a serious WWII flight simmer then I think you should definitely play both games, but to say that 1946 is too outdated with bad graphics and that nobody plays it anymore is simply wrong.

LuseKofte
Mar-19-2014, 04:34
Thx Limbo, I totally agree on your statement. All tho my experience is mostly offline campaign I fly more IL2 than I do CLOD. Some of the bombers we got in IL2 even feel more complex and real than in CLOD. It is the engine management and pitch control that is far better in CLOD.
Effects is waaaay better in old IL2, many of the planes got better damage model in old IL2, not all mind you but quite a few.
I will never give up that trusty old game. Good posting

snachito
May-12-2014, 13:59
I had to put my 2 cents in here as IL-2 1946 with mods looks outstanding, nothing close to Cliffs of Dover graphics, but still can hold it's on in effects, graphics, action, etc!! And the changes to the AI in SP mode even the enemy being on average is relentless when they get on your six, flak is more accurate and can get HAIRY at times! This is one of my favorite IL-2 1946 videos:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOD-CqaqWk0 and from the US side: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oecPuB_GfpQ

There are tons of mods, missions, campaigns and even world war 1 mod package (1916) WWII (1946) Korea mod package jet era with mig 15's, Sabers, then the vietnam package with F4 phantoms, Mig 21's, Mig 17's and pretty soon on to the 80's jets:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_foMi0GNcIY and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQwk8laGdAY if you like jets it's in there too.

Of course these are all mods, but adding them is not as hard as it looks, if I can do it........................anybody can!!:-)

Whatever you want you got it and it's still hella fun!!!

LuseKofte
May-12-2014, 15:01
Thank you for promoting IL2 1946, and it is true what you say. I have been a part of SAS team a long time for good and bad . It bring great joy whenever I see people appreciate the mods made for the game.

The FM is as good as they get for this old game engine and the Cockpits are a step back compared to CLOD , but how many combat sims can afford that compare.
The effects is better all along the board in old IL 2 except maybe the bomb drops and Flak
There is still much fun in that game, I am very entertained by the offline feature, witch no other sim can even get close to, and that goes for the AI swell, they can be at times stupid, but when you got them active you are really up for trouble

darkside3/4
May-12-2014, 18:15
Alive and well in the Pacific theatre in 46.

http://www.battle-fields.com/commscentre/showthread.php?25727-DBS-Mission-7-discussion/page2

AG-51_Razor
May-14-2014, 09:37
Very definitely alive and well in 1946! We're flying with HSFX 7.0.2 and spending most of our time in the Pacific operating off carriers. Come by and say hello. http://www.airgroup51.net/ag51website/

We're always looking for another squad to fly with, or against online.

IIJG27Rich
Oct-15-2014, 12:58
I would say you can still have fun with good old IL-2. I'm not saying it could replace COD by any means but if no one is online and you're board the mission builder is simple and yet you can do so much with it. Here is my favorite IL-2 movie of all time and I think the graphics are stock without any UP or HSFX patches. He's used some custom sound and edited other games in for a nice effect though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXFugJlqAEE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MuvSSRSgtE