PDA

View Full Version : If I get a GTX 780

Mrmaverick
Jun-29-2013, 14:37
At the moment im running 2 gtx 580 cards, sli turned off as it seems not worth using with better frame rates with out it, anyway could i use the GTX 780 as my main card and use one of the GTX 580s as a physics card,? Also if not used as a physics card, have the GTX 780 for my centre screen an the two GTX 580's for two other left and right screens? My motherboard and power supply is 3way capable, cheers. If someone could recomend witch gtx 780 would be the go as there is a price difference of a few hundred bucks between brands wether that is due to brand name of from spec size i am not too sure. cheers again.

louisv
Jun-29-2013, 19:38
I'm pretty sure that you can assign three screens to three cards with Windows, its not SLI and I think there is a difference in the way the images are laid out, but I've never tried (having only a 580).

You certainly can assign the card you want to physics, but I dont know any flight simulator that uses physics.

Go check your NVIDIA control program and snoop around.

What you cannot do is use different cards in SLI.

Jaws
Jun-30-2013, 01:41
I had a GTX 590 (two 580 GPUs in one card throttled down to the power of two 570's) and I had the same problem with the SLI in CLOD.
I'm sure you can setup one 580 for physics. you should be able to use a card to dedicated display. I never tried it.

I got a 780 about a month ago from EVGA and love it. It beats my two years old, dual GPU GTX590, in ALL games and it barely warms up a little.
There are many good 780 out there already. The drivers are not there yet.This last series of Nvidia drivers is pretty bad, but they are working hard for a fix. I'm running, since last night, a new driver for windows 8 on my win7 machine. It's pretty good already.

I got an EVGA again as I had good luck with them in the past. I'm on the fourth EVGA video card in a row. Almost a fanboy. roflmao But I did my homework when I got it. At release the one I got, EVGA 780 superclocked with ACX cooler was absolutely the best option. I'm not sure right now. Few more models came from more vendors and even EVGA has two more models on the way.

This is the model I got:

http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=03G-P4-2784-KR

http://www.evga.com/products/images/gallery/03G-P4-2784-KR_XL_1.jpg

This new cooler they put on this thing is amazing. First, this card comes overclocked from the factory pretty good and it also gives you room for quite a bit more overclocking because it runs so cool.
The base clock for GTX780 is 863MHz Base Clock and 902MHz Boost Clock. My model came in at 967MHz Base Clock and 1020MHz Boost Clock, and I got it to do this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/Jaws_18/overclocked3_zps0ef90aa4.jpg

Just look at that temperature. 43 decrees Celsius! I got that screenshot as soon as it came out of a benchmark. I play at 1215Mhz boost and so far it's stable. If you decide to get a EVGA card get one with this cooler as it's amazing.
The best one from EVGA should be the Classified model, but is not released yet. Should be out in a week or two. Their "Hydro Copper" models are dedicated for water cooling, so only get it if you plan on going to watercool it.
There should be other great models out there from other vendors, but once I got mine I didn't check what else was released.
The one I got is still out of stock on EVGA site. As soon as it comes in stock they buy them in minutes.:)) When I got mine, by the time I finished the transaction, they were all gone. roflmao Twice I got there too late after I got e-mail notification. :grrr:

Anyway. I think the 780 is very good card. A bit pricy, since AMD is sleeping, but it's worth it if you have to upgrade.
The model I got is only ten bucks over the base model price and it comes already with a decent overclock and an outstanding cooler. It's a no brainer. I can beat a stock clock Titan with it.:D

Good luck with your shopping. You'll enjoy it.

Jaws
Jun-30-2013, 02:42
BTW. If you want to read some reviews of the card I got, just click on the "awards" button on the page I posted above. You have on the left a list of reviews from a bunch of popular hardware sites. it's good reading.

Mrmaverick
Jun-30-2013, 06:59
Cheers, had a look. sounds good to me. everywhere you look they are out of stock so i will just have to keep an eye out. I live in western australia , it is 500 bucks cheaper to by one from the U.S.A. Dont know what the cost of getting it sent over would be but less than 500 bucks i guess. nothing new there, itunes good example, pay 2x for same product that buy in U.S. thats downloaded, no shipping fees there. Steam is the same. oh well cheers. As long as this card can run COD full every thing with no worries, id be happy, most reviews tell me how well they run consol converted to pc games wich to me is a bit pointless. Thanks for the info and enjoy your 780 .

Jaws
Jun-30-2013, 10:03
Cheers, had a look. sounds good to me. everywhere you look they are out of stock so i will just have to keep an eye out. I live in western australia , it is 500 bucks cheaper to by one from the U.S.A. Dont know what the cost of getting it sent over would be but less than 500 bucks i guess. nothing new there, itunes good example, pay 2x for same product that buy in U.S. thats downloaded, no shipping fees there. Steam is the same. oh well cheers. As long as this card can run COD full every thing with no worries, id be happy, most reviews tell me how well they run consol converted to pc games wich to me is a bit pointless. Thanks for the info and enjoy your 780 .

I understand your frustration with the prices very well. it used to be the same here with everything. When I came to Canada, in 1999, the exchange rate was 1.6Canadian dollars for a US dollar. the prices reflected that exchange rate. In few years the US and Canadian dollar came to around 1 to 1. It's been this way for over five years. The Canadian retailers and foreign companies selling in Canada didn't adjust the prices to the new exchange rate for over two years, until most Canadians started getting everything from US.
Now it's a lot better, but since I live just five kilometers from US border I still check the priced both sides before I buy stuff. :)

Anyway. back to the performance. My monitor native resolution is 2560x1440 and that's what I play everything. This is what Black Death track performance looks like, at that resolution with everything maxed out:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/Jaws_18/2013-06-30_00002_zpsaa59a3cd.jpg

Just for curiosity I tried it once at 1920x1080, since it's the most widely used resolution. here's the result:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/Jaws_18/2013-06-30_00005_zpsa8747667.jpg

I wish the card had a little more memory, but at my resolution, 2560x1440 I doubt it will make a difference in the next year or two. The titan looks nice with 6GB of fast memory, but not 400 dollar nice.:D this 780 has a very fast memory bus great memory bandwidth, so I'll be fine.

Mrmaverick
Jun-30-2013, 11:35
Nice, aussie dollar has been higher than us for sometime now, at the moment aus is just below us, almost 1 for 1. was thinking i could get a titan for the price of the 780, i have a water cooling setup in the cupboard that i never put back in after my last cpu upgrade, was waiting for a adapter plate to fit the new gpu, so i couldnt be botherd waiting for it to arive an put a big heatcink fan setup in instead. so maybe a titan with watercooling could be the go, mind you the are all sold out aswell at the moment. is there mutch of a performance gain with having 6 g mem over the 3 in the 780. other than the 3 to 6 mem difference your 780 seems faster? with the 780 hydro copper, would pay around 860 aus + about 70 for shipping and still get it 300+ cheaper than from somwhere in OZ.

Jaws
Jun-30-2013, 14:03
I think you may only see increase in performance going to 6GB of video memory if you run three monitors at high resolution.
Ideally the more memory the better. I would have loved a Titan with it's 6GB of ram, but unfortunately for me it makes no sense. I run at 2560x1440. Ideally i would have loved to get a single GPU card, that could get all games over 60fps at my monitor's native resolution. I have a 27 inch Dell 2713H and it runs at 60 Hz refresh rate. The titan couldn't get all games available now over 60 fps and with $400 price difference it just didn't make sense for me.

Here's a nice analysis of memory usage done by someone on EVGA forum. Remember this is done with three monitors at 5760x1080 resolution:

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=1959317

Some of the other reviews i looked at had testing done at different resolution and in many cases the titan only overtook the 780 superclocked when at very high resolution with three displays:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/EVGA/GTX_780_SC_ACX_Cooler/13.html

The titan would be more future proof, with newer games that will be able to use more memory, but at my resolution it is not showing the performance edge right now to justify the $400 price difference. I'll most likely upgrade again in around two years anyway.
If they bring out the 790 (dual GPU card based on two780 GPUs), within next two months, I can just "step up". (http://www.evga.com/support/stepup/)I doubt Nvidia will bring the 790 out this soon, with nothing from ATI to challenge the Titan.

Mrmaverick
Jun-30-2013, 16:38
do you have any major frame rate drops with the 780 or dose it run without any stuttering, im due for a new monitor as well, as i just run with 1680x1050 60htz. the 2 gtx580 with sli turned off as it seems to run smoother, ok flying at low level, bit of stuttering, clouds make it drop a fair bit, i guess if you were running at that resolution would you get any frame rate drop below 60 during your average combat flight. if it dose then the 780 would be the one for me.

miky
Jun-30-2013, 17:44
I would have loved a Titan with it's 6GB of ram, but unfortunately for me it makes no sense.

EVGA GeForce GTX TITAN 6GB SuperClocked - Black Death with everything maxed out:

Resolution 2560x1440

Avg - 59 Max - 127 Min - 11

Resolution 1920x1080

Avg - 67 Max - 148 Min - 17

No gain :)

Jaws
Jun-30-2013, 18:04
EVGA GeForce GTX TITAN 6GB SuperClocked - Black Death with everything maxed out:

Resolution 2560x1440

Avg - 59 Max - 127 Min - 11

Resolution 1920x1080

Avg - 67 Max - 148 Min - 17

No gain :)

:wf:

hehe. Nice one. :)

Mrmaverick
Jul-01-2013, 16:26
Ok , found one, same as yours jaws (2784) there was three and i just caved, should be here in a week i guess, also a asus vg278h 27 in monitor so see wot happens, cheers and thanks for the info, now im off for a cigy and start waiting.

ATAG_Torian
Jul-01-2013, 22:09
Ok , found one, same as yours jaws (2784) there was three and i just caved, should be here in a week i guess, also a asus vg278h 27 in monitor so see wot happens, cheers and thanks for the info, now im off for a cigy and start waiting.

G'day m8, good to see another Aussie on the forums.
Can u keep us posted on the time it takes to get ur card. U can pm me if u like and I would be interested to know the all up cost including shipping to Oz.
Cheers,
ATAG_Torian
(Northern Territory)

Jaws
Jul-02-2013, 13:39

Congrats!:party2:
Asus makes some kick ass gaming screens.:thumbsup: Isn't that screen limited to 1920x1080 resolution though?

Mrmaverick
Jul-02-2013, 15:27
Yes it is, should be interesting with the 3d side of things. the rez should be ok for looks and f rate i hope, plus like the size.

Jaws
Jul-02-2013, 19:33
Yep. It should run like butter.:thumbsup:

priller26
Jul-05-2013, 15:39
This fall I will buy a Titan, not only for this but other games.

Kling
Jul-05-2013, 16:34
This fall I will buy a Titan, not only for this but other games.

Exactly my plans too ;)

tintifaxl
Jul-08-2013, 13:06
That's why I always preached to improve gameplay, not performance. After the 7/2011 patch CloD was playable. Nowadays we have the hardware that is more than sufficient to run CloD but still the shitty AI, ATC and radio comms. :grrr:

SoW Reddog
Jul-09-2013, 04:03
My 780 is running CloD like a dream. I can't wait for the latest TF patch to be released so that I can see aircraft reliably.