PDA

View Full Version : Cloud opacity

Wulf
Jul-02-2013, 21:09
Does anyone know how we are coming along with the cloud opacity problem? The last comment I recall from TF noted that it was proving a tough nut to crack.

I ask about this because, IMO, this is one of the most important, if not the most important unresolved problems left in the game. At present there are so many ground and sea-surface objects appearing as dots against the upper surface of the cloud layer (when cloud is present) that there really isn't much point attempting to use cloud for silhouetting aircraft flying below you. I really don't think its that much of an overstatement to describe this situation as an ongoing disaster.

Roblex
Jul-03-2013, 03:11
I am guessing it is more of a general problem with opacity as you can see lights and sun glints right through cockpits and hangars. A few days ago I was warming up inside a hangar at Eastchurch and there was a huge sparkling area on the wall in the direction of the beaufighters. With clouds you also see the dark spots of targets & aircraft but maybe you can see those through cockpits & hangars but don't notice unless what you are looking through is white. When we had mission starting before sunrise you could see the runway flares through the cockpit. Strangely you don't see the sun through the cockpit; unless that is what causes the 'screen whiteout' bug when you are in a dive with your belly facing the sun.

Mattias
Jul-03-2013, 04:59
I am guessing it is more of a general problem with opacity as you can see lights and sun glints right through cockpits and hangars. A few days ago I was warming up inside a hangar at Eastchurch and there was a huge sparkling area on the wall in the direction of the beaufighters. With clouds you also see the dark spots of targets & aircraft but maybe you can see those through cockpits & hangars but don't notice unless what you are looking through is white. When we had mission starting before sunrise you could see the runway flares through the cockpit. Strangely you don't see the sun through the cockpit; unless that is what causes the 'screen whiteout' bug when you are in a dive with your belly facing the sun.

:salute: Wulf & Roblex

You are both right in your observations. We have been able to correct many of those abnormalities for the next patch, like lights shining through cockpits and the "screen whiteout" :thumbsup:
Roblex is right the distant contact dots are being drawn upon more than just the clouds, but as he points out the glitch is most noticeable against a white background. We are looking into this as well, but we can't promise anything for the upcoming patch yet.

Cheers/m