PDA

View Full Version : Screen freeze at about 2minutes-can it be cured?

Blitzen
Jul-03-2013, 11:36
( This may be better placed at "Bugs & Tracking" than here - if so please move it..)
Question pretty much says it all.Love the fully modded game & am able to play almost trouble free with most but not all video options turned all the way up,BUT almost everytime I play a mission ( particularily Campaign missions) I get a screen lockup at about 2 -3 minutes in. It seems to happen most on autopilot or autopilot accelerated ,but can happen on manual as well. Sometimes it is momentary:it stutters through 2 or 3 screens then everything is ok & it doesn't happen again,but other times ( perhaps dependent on the complexity of the mission, but I'm not sure??) it will freeze up permanantly & I'll get a CTD or have to "bail out "of the game & start again.I've tried a few of the usual fixes , but this goes beyond my limited skill on a PC.
It used to happen only at the end of a very long(20-30 minutes or more) session...usually knee deep in a Desaster soft campaign mission with a victory /time limit...talk about frustrating!
Anyway I'm hopeful someone out there may know a cure...:(

ATAG_Colander
Jul-03-2013, 11:41
Next time it happens, ZIP the dump (.dmp) files located on your "my documents/1C ... - MOD/" crash folder and attach them here.
Only include the files with creation time of the game crash as you are likelly to have many many old files there.

This dump might help us identifying the cause.

ATAG_Colander.

ATAG_Snapper
Jul-03-2013, 12:42
Last night I experienced a launcher crash for the first time in months -- and the first time with the Team Fusion patches. A quick check showed that the night before the dreaded Windows update KB2670838 (Thanks, Mattias!) was automatically installed despite my having uninstalled it long ago and "hiding it" from installing again.

To make matters worse, when I tried to relog onto our server, I got the dreaded Steam "Identity Authentification" error message, effectively blocking me for the duration of the new mission. Argh! :grrr:

Further investigation showed that Windows Explorer 9 had been automatically installed which, according to a Windows message, pissed off Steam tremendously for having the unmitigated gall to upgrade my browser without sacrificing a baby goat on the alter. To add to my woes, this same Windows message informed me that my version of Steam was out-of-date, with a link to Steam to install a new version.

Fine. I left my PC in a huff. I just wouldn't play Clod -- that'll show the bastards.

Will get it all sorted later today. :D

Kling
Jul-03-2013, 15:33
( This may be better placed at "Bugs & Tracking" than here - if so please move it..)
Question pretty much says it all.Love the fully modded game & am able to play almost trouble free with most but not all video options turned all the way up,BUT almost everytime I play a mission ( particularily Campaign missions) I get a screen lockup at about 2 -3 minutes in. It seems to happen most on autopilot or autopilot accelerated ,but can happen on manual as well. Sometimes it is momentary:it stutters through 2 or 3 screens then everything is ok & it doesn't happen again,but other times ( perhaps dependent on the complexity of the mission, but I'm not sure??) it will freeze up permanantly & I'll get a CTD or have to "bail out "of the game & start again.I've tried a few of the usual fixes , but this goes beyond my limited skill on a PC.
It used to happen only at the end of a very long(20-30 minutes or more) session...usually knee deep in a Desaster soft campaign mission with a victory /time limit...talk about frustrating!
Anyway I'm hopeful someone out there may know a cure...:(

I had this exact problem when i was running Windows 32bit. Disappeared as soon as I installed Win 64bit. Win32 only uses 3.5gig of ram no matter how much u have installed in ur computer and this is not enough for CLOD.

What system do you use?!

Regards

Blitzen
Jul-03-2013, 21:02
Will do...BUT I may have a simple cure:When cleaning out Crash Dump files so when I had the next one it would be simple to find ,I also cleaned Cache folder ot ( it had been a while .)Then I flew the mission that last crashed ( at about 19 minutes on the 109 clock) & no crash,no stutter at 19 minutes & all was just hunky-dore until my poor Emil took a ton of lead over Blighty.So stay tuned I'll play around a bit more & see if I was just lucky or what.
Thanks for your help & suggestions...:thumbsup:

Mattias
Jul-04-2013, 04:29
Cleaning the cache does wonders sometimes :thumbsup:
It tends to go quite corrupt sometimes, especially after a CTD.

Also, check for the windows update KB2670838 Snapper mentioned and make sure you do not have it installed:
http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3528&highlight=KB2670838

Cheers/m

Blitzen
Jul-04-2013, 10:56
Cleaning the cache does wonders sometimes :thumbsup:
It tends to go quite corrupt sometimes, especially after a CTD.

Also, check for the windows update KB2670838 Snapper mentioned and make sure you do not have it installed:
http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3528&highlight=KB2670838

Cheers/m

I may have spoken too soon.Freeze is still occuring after flying a couple of more missions,so allow me to ask a couple of stupid questions( remember I'm not a hot shot on the PC...0
1.) How do I "decode the 'Crash file into something I can post here.I've tried the usual solutions :Notebook & Wordpad,with negative results.Is there a quick & easy translation program I can install so that ican post my results?
2.)How do I check for the Windows update? If I have had it installed ( I probably have since Windows 7 seems to automatically update) then what?System restore ...that seems extreme,no?
Thanks!:ind:
BTW I have 64bit system installed

DUI
Jul-04-2013, 11:08
Quite sure your issue is related to the Windows update as some of my sqaudron members using Windows 7 faced the same problem.

Here are the steps to remove the update (http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/24373-windows-update-uninstall-update.html) in Windows 7/8.

To my knowledge you can exclude single updates from the automatic update process by right clicking the "ready-to-install" update in the update screen of Windows and selecting the exclude option.

ATAG_Colander
Jul-04-2013, 11:11
I may have spoken too soon.Freeze is still occuring after flying a couple of more missions,so allow me to ask a couple of stupid questions( remember I'm not a hot shot on the PC...0
1.) How do I "decode the 'Crash file into something I can post here.I've tried the usual solutions :Notebook & Wordpad,with negative results.Is there a quick & easy translation program I can install so that ican post my results?
2.)How do I check for the Windows update? If I have had it installed ( I probably have since Windows 7 seems to automatically update) then what?System restore ...that seems extreme,no?

1) Do not decode it. Just select the 3 most recent files, right click and select "send to"-->compressed zipped folder.
Then attach the zip file here by clicking on the paper clip icon.

2) Control panel->System and security->Windows Update->View

ATAG_Knuckles
Jul-04-2013, 11:12
Just FYI: I am also following this thread as I am still getting launcher crashes: I deleted TS nofifier as some said this is an issue:

3 crashes in a half hour last night: funny though sometimes I can go over an hour

I DO NOT have the update KB2670838 installed

there's an answer out there, I'm patient, still looking

DUI
Jul-04-2013, 11:21
@Knuckles: Sounds really bad and reminds me of the early, dark times of CloD when launcher crashes were more frequent than plane crashes.
As you are the first one that I know of to still have that many launcher crashes (basically, I do not know any one to have them anymore): Might it have something to do with hardware problems? It is summer and - at least in some parts of the world - quite warm... My computer also went on strike when we had above 30°C some weeks ago.

Mattias
Jul-04-2013, 11:30

:salute:

1) You can make a zip-file in windows 7 without having to install special software. Problem is I do not know the english termology so I'm not sure how to instruct you... On my system I put the file in a folder, right click on the folder, select something that might translate into "send to" and then click something that might be called "compressed folder".

2) I nicked theese instructions from II/JG53 Wolf and I hope he does not mind :D

Start - Control Panel - Programs and Features.

Click on "View Installed Updates" top left.

Search for "KB2670838"

If it's there, uninstall it. You will have to restart your machine.

EDIT: Colander beat me to it... I type far too slowly on this little iphone :)

Blitzen
Jul-04-2013, 12:08
Quite sure your issue is related to the Windows update as some of my sqaudron members using Windows 7 faced the same problem.

Here are the steps to remove the update (http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/24373-windows-update-uninstall-update.html) in Windows 7/8.

To my knowledge you can exclude single updates from the automatic update process by right clicking the "ready-to-install" update in the update screen of Windows and selecting the exclude option.

Thanks for help - have uninstalled the update-stay tuned!:thumbsup:

ATAG_Knuckles
Jul-04-2013, 12:09
@Knuckles: Sounds really bad and reminds me of the early, dark times of CloD when launcher crashes were more frequent than plane crashes.
As you are the first one that I know of to still have that many launcher crashes (basically, I do not know any one to have them anymore): Might it have something to do with hardware problems? It is summer and - at least in some parts of the world - quite warm... My computer also went on strike when we had above 30°C some weeks ago.

Well I'll check into that: I live in Arizona, lately we have been topping out at around 115 Deg. Although I keep my computer room cool, ya never know

Thanks

Dutch
Jul-04-2013, 14:11
almost everytime I play a mission ( particularily Campaign missions) I get a screen lockup at about 2 -3 minutes in. (

Me too. But note folks that Blitzen is talking about offline missions, not online, if I understand correctly. This happens to me too offline, so here's a couple of zipped crashfiles for you TF chaps. :D

I've already removed the dreaded win update by the way. I tell a lie, the bloody thing's back. Sneaky.

Blitzen
Jul-04-2013, 15:08
Well ,I believe the Windows Update was/is the culprit.After removal I did a complex mission offlinelongish mission 3 times on autopilot & each time no freeze or any really noticable stutter.Great! Now I just did a big off line "Big London Raid" mission which does its best to tax my PC at the best of times...again no freeze or stutters-a little slow at times with all the planes & clouds but still good!
So thanks guys I would have NEVER figured out this glitch without your help...generous friendly help I might add.I hope you are able to warn others about this conflict of interests.I only wonder why the Windows update had such a drastic effect on the sim?:doh:

DUI
Jul-04-2013, 16:03
In this case it seems more to blame Microsoft than Cliffs of Dover. According to Google (http://www.google.co.uk/#output=search&sclient=psy-ab&q=KB2670838+&oq=KB2670838+&gs_l=hp.12...874.874.0.2160.1.1.0.0.0.0.101.101.0j 1.1.0....0...1c.1.19.psy-ab.O98cpTfisdk&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.48705608,d.Yms&fp=839d9582418924f5&biw=1920&bih=956) the patch seems to have negative effects on various software.

ATAG_Colander
Jul-04-2013, 17:19
Me too. But note folks that Blitzen is talking about offline missions, not online, if I understand correctly. This happens to me too offline, so here's a couple of zipped crashfiles for you TF chaps. :D

I've already removed the dreaded win update by the way. I tell a lie, the bloody thing's back. Sneaky.

Dutch,

Can you please load this .NET update and give it a try?
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35721

If it crashes again, upload the new dmp files please.

Colander.

Dutch
Jul-04-2013, 17:24
Dutch,

Can you please load this .NET update and give it a try?
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35721

If it crashes again, upload the new dmp files please.

Colander.

Hiya mate. I've removed the bad K267-bah blah again already. If you want me to re-install that one and then give this a try, I'll do it, although it took nearly an hour to uninstall the bad update.......

Let me know. :thumbsup:

ATAG_Colander
Jul-04-2013, 17:31
Dutch,

This is KB2729449 not the dreaded KB2670838.
I have KB2729449 installed since November without a glitch.

Colander

Edit: when you click download, you'll see 3 options. You need:
"NDP40-KB2729449-x64.exe" for Windows 64 bits
"NDP40-KB2729449-x86.exe" for Windows 32 bits.

hemorad
Jul-04-2013, 17:53

I'm also having regular lockups--game just freezes requiring ctrl/alt/del to get out. Here's my latest dump file, zipped:

Dutch
Jul-04-2013, 18:46
Dutch,

This is KB2729449 not the dreaded KB2670838.
I have KB2729449 installed since November without a glitch.

Colander

Edit: when you click download, you'll see 3 options. You need:
"NDP40-KB2729449-x64.exe" for Windows 64 bits
"NDP40-KB2729449-x86.exe" for Windows 32 bits.

Sorry Colander, I'm not good with this stuff. Do you want me to re-install the KB2670838 update, then try this new one on top of that, or just install the one you've linked without KB2670838 and then see what happens?

ATAG_Colander
Jul-04-2013, 19:33
Sorry Colander, I'm not good with this stuff. Do you want me to re-install the KB2670838 update, then try this new one on top of that, or just install the one you've linked without KB2670838 and then see what happens?

Sorry Dutch, disregard my posts.
It turned out that it is me who does not have KB2729449 installed and for some reason, can't install it either.

The problem is that I can't look at the dmp files created with a different version of .NET than the one I have.

ATAG_Colander
Jul-04-2013, 19:48
Ok...

Dutch, I was able to look at your dmp files. It seems to be something related to the network as it is receiving network data from the server where it crashes.

Hemorad, Are you running TF patch version 3.1??

Dutch
Jul-04-2013, 19:54
Dutch, I was able to look at your dmp files. It seems to be something related to the network as it is receiving network data from the server where it crashes.

Now that's weird. Those two crash files were created during the offline 'Bomber intercept' Quick Mission. What network? I told you I was bad at this.....

ATAG_Colander
Jul-04-2013, 20:54
Now that's weird. Those two crash files were created during the offline 'Bomber intercept' Quick Mission. What network? I told you I was bad at this.....

When you run a SP mission, the game starts a server for that mission just like when you connect to ATAG. I'm not 100% sure but I think it uses the network to send data to the client part of the game.

Long shot but maybe you can try updating your network drivers.

hemorad
Jul-04-2013, 23:08
Ok...

Hemorad, Are you running TF patch version 3.1??

I'm still running the 3.0 version, haven't downloaded the 3.1.

Hemorad

hemorad
Jul-08-2013, 20:03
I'm still running the 3.0 version, haven't downloaded the 3.1.

Hemorad

Okay, I have now downloaded and installed the 3.01 version. I have also applied several fixes recommended on this forum, including uninstalling the Windows Security Update KB2670838, repairing the Microsoft.NET Framework 4, and running the DX setup. I thought at first this fixed the problem (inescapable screen freeze), but after several SP missions playing the Luftwaffe Redux campaign by Heinkill et al, I am again having solid screen freezes. I fully suspect the problem has nothing to do with the Team Fusion patch, but this forum has so far provided the best information on the freezing issue of any site I have found, so I humbly beseech you to assist! I am attaching Zip files of my last dumps (.DMP's).
Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Hemo

ATAG_Colander
Jul-08-2013, 21:05
Okay, I have now downloaded and installed the 3.01 version. I have also applied several fixes recommended on this forum, including uninstalling the Windows Security Update KB2670838, repairing the Microsoft.NET Framework 4, and running the DX setup. I thought at first this fixed the problem (inescapable screen freeze), but after several SP missions playing the Luftwaffe Redux campaign by Heinkill et al, I am again having solid screen freezes. I fully suspect the problem has nothing to do with the Team Fusion patch, but this forum has so far provided the best information on the freezing issue of any site I have found, so I humbly beseech you to assist! I am attaching Zip files of my last dumps (.DMP's).

Hemo

I'm afraid you posted a shortcut to your dmp files instead of the dmp files :D

Kling
Jul-08-2013, 22:57

Hemo

Sorry if I missed it but how much RAM do u have?!