PDA

View Full Version : Famous Landmarks

ATAG_Snapper
Jul-07-2013, 12:42
Please forgive me for dredging up this old chestnut, but is there any development on placing some noticeable-by-their-absence man-made landmarks? Canterbury Cathedral comes to mind, as it certainly stands out from the surrounding Kent terrain and would be useful to both sides as a navigational aide which is definitely historical. To a certain degree St. Paul's Cathedral in London the same. Although I don't personally venture too deeply into Occupied France, I'm sure many here could readily think of highly recognizable landmark counterparts in that part of the theatre as well.

I fully realize and appreciate the higher and more immediate priorities that Team Fusion are concentrating on. This is more of a way-down-the-line type of query.

Thanks again for the continued updates TF is providing us. It's so very encouraging! :thumbsup:

Meaks
Jul-07-2013, 13:32
Agreed Snapper......Canterbury Cathedral is sorely missing from CoD,this would be very nice to have on the map,:thumbsup:

Salmo
Jul-07-2013, 14:47
Please forgive me for dredging up this old chestnut, but is there any development on placing some noticeable-by-their-absence man-made landmarks? Canterbury Cathedral comes to mind, as it certainly stands out from the surrounding Kent terrain and would be useful to both sides as a navigational aide which is definitely historical. To a certain degree St. Paul's Cathedral in London the same. Although I don't personally venture too deeply into Occupied France, I'm sure many here could readily think of highly recognizable landmark counterparts in that part of the theatre as well.

I fully realize and appreciate the higher and more immediate priorities that Team Fusion are concentrating on. This is more of a way-down-the-line type of query.

Thanks again for the continued updates TF is providing us. It's so very encouraging! :thumbsup:

Agreed. This is an issue that TF intends to address when we have the map-making tools in place.

In the meantime, there are two issues: (1) Too many static objects in you mission file may slow the game. (2) Notwithstanding (1), most mission makers neglect important landmarks in their missions. Put this line in the Buildings section on your mission file to get the Canterbury Cathedral in you missions.

[Buildings]
0_bld buildings.House$EnglandAbbey_Westminster 1 228801.68 251009.37 -25.00

Dutch
Jul-07-2013, 16:13
No offence Salmo, but Westminster Abbey is nothing like Canterbury Cathedral.
I agree that something would be better than nothing, but simply placing Westminster Abbey in the middle of Canterbury isn't what Snapper is advocating, I don't think (correct me if I'm wrong here Snapper).

There must've been some reason whereby the original developers couldn't put such obvious landmarks on the map, but they really would be a boon for navigation on both sides. Here's hoping for 'one day....'. :thumbsup:

Salmo
Jul-07-2013, 16:40
No offence Salmo, but Westminster Abbey is nothing like Canterbury Cathedral.
I agree that something would be better than nothing, but simply placing Westminster Abbey in the middle of Canterbury isn't what Snapper is advocating, I don't think (correct me if I'm wrong here Snapper).

There must've been some reason whereby the original developers couldn't put such obvious landmarks on the map, but they really would be a boon for navigation on both sides. Here's hoping for 'one day....'. :thumbsup:

No offence taken, I was simply offering an alternative until TF can resolve this issue. There's several problems to overcome before this request becomes a reality. (1) making a new Canterbury Cathedral model/mesh (2) Importing the mesh file into COD (TF WIP, good progress made) & (3) ability to alter the maps. This involves opening & manipulating the various map files (TF WIP, some progress made).

Dutch
Jul-07-2013, 19:06
No offence taken, I was simply offering an alternative until TF can resolve this issue. There's several problems to overcome before this request becomes a reality. (1) making a new Canterbury Cathedral model/mesh (2) Importing the mesh file into COD (TF WIP, good progress made) & (3) ability to alter the maps. This involves opening & manipulating the various map files (TF WIP, some progress made).

Yes. I know. So, the question remains, i.e. is it possible to put famous landmarks on the map? As a permanent and welcome feature?

Oersted
Jul-07-2013, 19:55
Well, the cathedral of Rouen would certainly be a good landmark, at 151 meters it was the world's tallest building from 1876 to 1880 and it remains the tallest church in France.

The cathedral at St. Omer would be really good to have, since it is quite close to the cluster of Luftwaffe airfields in the Calais region. Tower is 51 meters high.

Roblex
Jul-08-2013, 01:30
Note also that Canterbury is a walled city so the road plan is quite noticable from the air. Perhaps that would be easier to model while the Cathedral is not available?

I always have a lot of trouble finding Canterbury because it is just a bland sprawl of buildings like all the other towns.