PDA

View Full Version : Planes stuttering when in close formation.

Kling
Jul-09-2013, 23:16
Does anyone else have this?!
As soon as you are in close formstion with someone the his plane is, well stuttering is the best word i think... the plane u are in close formation with doesnt have a smooth flightpath.
Looks like an internet thing but since both my brother and I have it it seems its a common thing in game.
Is this a net code issue that came with TF or has it always been there?!

Best regards
KLING

DUI
Jul-10-2013, 00:17
I would guess it is the server performance or internet connection of the player/s.

Normally, there is no problem flying smoothly in extremely close formation.

ATAG_Bliss
Jul-10-2013, 00:59
As soon as you are in close formstion with someone the his plane is, well stuttering is the best word i think... the plane u are in close formation with doesnt have a smooth flightpath.
Looks like an internet thing but since both my brother and I have it it seems its a common thing in game.

Best regards
KLING

Thats an IL2 thing. It's been there since forever :D

If I understand you right, when real close it looks like an opposing player can be hopping along (skipping forward and backwards etc). If that's the case, it's the same thing that happens in 46. Just the nature of IL2's net code.

In worst cases a player's packet loss can also cause some jumping, again when real close. So don't worry about it. It's quite normal. As you know, the server could handle 10 instances of clod let alone the 10 gigabyte per second bandwidth that's available. (Just slight overkill :D)

Kling
Jul-10-2013, 06:29
Thats an IL2 thing. It's been there since forever :D

If I understand you right, when real close it looks like an opposing player can be hopping along (skipping forward and backwards etc). If that's the case, it's the same thing that happens in 46. Just the nature of IL2's net code.

In worst cases a player's packet loss can also cause some jumping, again when real close. So don't worry about it. It's quite normal. As you know, the server could handle 10 instances of clod let alone the 10 gigabyte per second bandwidth that's available. (Just slight overkill :D)

Hm I never had this in il2 1946 and I played that for 10 years... :/ To have a plane jumping 50m once in a while is acceptable i guess.. I mean the constant almost stuttery look a few times a sec. I that what you meant too Bliss?
Its not my internet either as I am sitting with a 30mbit optical download and 10mbit upload connection...
Its a shame really as it ruins the experience of close formation flying :(

Anyway, it is what it is...

Regards
Kling

Dutch
Jul-10-2013, 09:39
I've just put it down to a ping thing, Kling. :D Pings are in milliseconds aren't they? So a ping of 250 is a quarter of a second? Or am I being thick again?

I didn't see it in IL2 either, but then I was usually on UK/European servers, with a ping of 50 or so. But I'm rubbish at this stuff, so what would I know? :D

ATAG_Snapper
Jul-10-2013, 10:41
I tend to think it's the ping thing as well, Kling. (Disclaimer: I have no freaking clue to what I'm saying here).

Monday night I was flying in tight formation (Spitfires) at 30 angels with three other chaps -- XE90, DRock, and Injerin -- and there was no abrupt skating of any of the aircraft. Of note is that all four of us are located in N. America with relatively low pings. Mine is consistently 38 - 40 ms, the others not far off from that. I don't remember how many players were on the server at that time; my guess would be around 20 total.

ATAG_Colander
Jul-10-2013, 10:47
Your game client receives the position, speed etc updates from the server.
The lower your ping, the more frequent updates you'll get.
The more frequent updates you get, the less "stutters".

It also happens when flying in the distance but is less noticeable.

Note about ping:
The ping time is the time it takes for a network packet to make a round trip (to/from)....
Your computer sends a "ping" packet to the server and it replies with a "pong" packet. Once your computer receives the "pong" packet, it knows how long it took since it sent the "ping". This is the ping time you see.

Dutch
Jul-10-2013, 10:53
So it's a pong thong, erm Klong..........

Royraiden
Jul-10-2013, 11:37
Ive seen this issue but just a couple of times.Usually I see no lag/stuttering of the planes Im flying in formation with.So I assume it should have been a player connection issue.

ATAG_Bliss
Jul-10-2013, 12:11
You used to always see this, especially in the old game because of the amount of people rockin' the 56k modems :D

Kling
Jul-10-2013, 12:31
I have never NOT seen this in Clod. Its not a big iss ue but i was wondering if i was the only one. As i said my connection is superfast as so is my wingmans(my brother) so it must be the location of the server vs my location(europe) then...
But i never saw it in other flightsims before. Random jumps and lag of course but never this small stuttering of say 0.5m forwards and backwards a few times a sec when in very close formation....
Must be the distance between me and the server..

Kling
Jul-10-2013, 12:38
And i just want to make clear that im not whining nor complaining! Just asking ;)

Roblex
Jul-10-2013, 12:54
I don't get the stutters flying with my squad, which is usually around four or five in formation. Perhaps there are stutters but I don't notice because it happens when we are all warming up on the airfield. There is a little stutter when Calais comes in sight which I have always blamed on ground features being loaded up.

When I do see a stutter for no apparent reason it usually means I am about to be bounced! I don't think that happens when a new friendly comes near, I wonder if that is because the friendly skins are already loaded but the enemy skins are not loaded until one comes near?

56RAF_phoenix
Jul-10-2013, 13:13
It's a CloD thing Kling(!)
It used to be really bad online before the last official patch and I believe it's mostly a CPU power issue. I think it must be to do with the close-in LODs being loaded by the CPU into the graphics card (maybe a graphics guru will correct me). I always found it worse when Axis 'planes were close, particularly Bf110s and bombers, which have a lot of detail.
I run a fairly old Core E95xx something, others on faster CPUs don't seem to have a problem.
Before the frist TF patch, turning-off skin downloads helped a lot.

56RAF_phoenix

Best regards
KLING

Kling
Jul-10-2013, 15:25
It's a CloD thing Kling(!)
It used to be really bad online before the last official patch and I believe it's mostly a CPU power issue. I think it must be to do with the close-in LODs being loaded by the CPU into the graphics card (maybe a graphics guru will correct me). I always found it worse when Axis 'planes were close, particularly Bf110s and bombers, which have a lot of detail.
I run a fairly old Core E95xx something, others on faster CPUs don't seem to have a problem.
Before the frist TF patch, turning-off skin downloads helped a lot.

56RAF_phoenix

This is a different kind of stutters phoenix and only occurs when in very close formation, say 10m feom ur wingman. Ill try to record with fraps and post it here..

ATAG_Colander
Jul-10-2013, 15:32
more than "stutters" is "jumpings" or "jitters"

ATAG_JTDawg
Jul-10-2013, 16:07
It almost sounds like he has the old power point session , we had long ago with more than 110 in area ? an agree turn skin down loads off ( I still have off) but any time my game starts messing up , I do dot net fix , vc redist , uninstall gpu drivers then reinstall . an run dx set up again. that does the trick for a month or so , But the only map that I get stutters on for some reason is Dunkirk map . salute

Kling
Jul-10-2013, 18:03
more than "stutters" is "jumpings" or "jitters"

Thats more like it.. was struggling to find the world both in my own language and english.
Lets be clear. Its only my wingman that does it. And same for him, on his computer its my plane.

Dutch
Jul-10-2013, 18:12
Thats more like it.. was struggling to find the world both in my own language and english.
Lets be clear. Its only my wingman that does it. And same for him, on his computer its my plane.

Are you talking about flying on the ATAG server with your wingman, mate? Or did you set up your own local server to fly with him? I'm just thinking that all that info has to go from your pc, to Chicago, and back to his pc and vice versa. How about setting up your own local server just for you and him, and see if it still happens? That should show whether or not it's a ping thing, or a Clod thing. :thumbsup:

I know exactly the effect you mean by the way, he'll drop behind a few feet, then leap forward to the normal position, then creep forward then jerk back slightly, but quite quickly. Saw it myself a couple of nights ago with an unknown wingman.

ATAG_Bliss
Jul-10-2013, 19:29
This could be a function of netspeed as well. In old IL2 we could adjust the netspeed to help with server traffic etc., but it appears in Cliffs, the netspeed setting doesn't do anything at all. 0-1,000,000 has the same results in the config.

Kling
Jul-11-2013, 00:22
Are you talking about flying on the ATAG server with your wingman, mate? Or did you set up your own local server to fly with him? I'm just thinking that all that info has to go from your pc, to Chicago, and back to his pc and vice versa. How about setting up your own local server just for you and him, and see if it still happens? That should show whether or not it's a ping thing, or a Clod thing. :thumbsup:

I know exactly the effect you mean by the way, he'll drop behind a few feet, then leap forward to the normal position, then creep forward then jerk back slightly, but quite quickly. Saw it myself a couple of nights ago with an unknown wingman.

Yes thats exactly it Bliss. I will try to set up my own server and see if the issue is still there :) It happens to every wingman and its only noticable when within 10-20m or so when flying alongside each other... will check tonight!
Thx

Dutch
Jul-11-2013, 06:11
Yes thats exactly it Bliss. Thx

Cough, cough, ahem! :D

Kling
Jul-11-2013, 09:28
Cough, cough, ahem! :D

;)
Duxford coming up!!