PDA

View Full Version : A quick guide to patch up CloD from CD to the last Team Fusion update

gianluca
Jul-15-2013, 06:20
Hi guys, newbie here and for all that matters with CloD: have had the CD on the shelves since maybe more than one year but never installed... as an Il-2 player since years and enjoying Histomod most of all, I was somehow feeling the stock version was not satisfying, I had of course heard about patches issued from official development team to address bugs and so on but still it was not enough since, finally I discovered this site: now I´m ready to give CloD a serious try, hence the forabove title.
I wonder however if steam is still absolutely necessary as well as the cd to play and update my install or something else has been envisaged to satisfy such purposes...
Anyway thks for hosting this words of mine and thks for answering!

Best regards,

Gianluca

DUI
Jul-15-2013, 06:41
Hi and welcome to the Cliffs of Dover community, Gianluca!

In order to install and run CloD Steam is necessary. I am just wondering if there even is a separate DVD - do not even think so.

After installing the official version via Steam just download and install the Team Fusion 3.0 patch and 3.01 mini patch. You can find the two downloads (and a install guide) here (http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=100).

Especially if you are choosing for complex motor management I would recommend to read the Team Fusion flight manuals (http://www.theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/wiki/doku.php?id=flight_manuals) with information about maximum temperatures and pressures of the different aircrafts first. If you are into multiplayer - in my opinion the strong point of Cliffs of Dover - just join the server of ATAG or Storm of War. Maybe, try to get your plane taking off and flying in an offline mission first. Then you already know the basics. For singleplayer to my knowledge the Desastersoft campaigns (http://www.desastersoft.com/en/news) are very highly rated.

gianluca
Jul-15-2013, 07:16
Hi DUI and thks for answeing; sure Ill take my time to learn the basics and will enjoy all tipps available as the ones u suggetsed me!
First of all tonight install of CloD: steam, once installed from dvd should take care to let me update the game to the latest patch and then I´ll proceed to insall (already downloaded) the atag patches!
One doubt however...what if the official dev team will issue later a patch which could be conflicting with atag mods?
May I avoid this by blocking steam to autoupdating the game? And in this case how?

Once more best regards!

Gianluca

DUI
Jul-15-2013, 07:36
One doubt however...what if the official dev team will issue later a patch which could be conflicting with atag mods?
Due to a financial decision there is no support from the official developers anymore. Since end of 2012 Team Fusion took over with incredible results already achieved in the first patch and not less promising features in the coming patch.

Maybe another proposal: As every plane (also the different models of one type) is handling differently, it is the easiest way to try to "master" your favourite plane model first before you move on to another one.

gianluca
Jul-15-2013, 08:14
roger DUI, one prob less.
sure I will start with the E-1!

Gianluca

ChiefRedCloud
Jul-15-2013, 09:49
In order to install and run CloD Steam is necessary. I am just wondering if there even is a separate DVD - do not even think so.

There is a separate DVD available (I have one). But, indeed, Steam is necessary to install it and patch it up before you apply the TF patch. Post Note: Amazon still sells the DVD but it is much cheaper and perhaps easier, to download it via Steam.

gianluca
Jul-15-2013, 10:13
There is a separate DVD available (I have one). But, indeed, Steam is necessary to install it and patch it up before you apply the TF patch. Post Note: Amazon still sells the DVD but it is much cheaper and perhaps easier, to download it via Steam.
Hi ChiefRedCloud, I do have the DVD so I'll begin with that and then wil go on through steam which, and this is the first question which arises, should be then installed in my rig. And I still have to do that, as I went yesterday to the steam site but it was a bit confusing to be honest! Second, I wonder if once the game installed it will be mandatory to launch and thus retain the DVD in my comp or I could get rid of it somehow...

Gianluca

ATAG_Colander
Jul-15-2013, 10:25
You don't even need the DVD to do the first install.
You can download and install steam directly, enter the key for the game and it will start installing it from the internet.

gianluca
Jul-28-2013, 11:55
Ok guys installed today, activated steam and downloaded automatically updates: everything's fine until I try to load a mission, whatever... here the mission loads until 100% (let's say 99 maybe) and then I get a screen reading "there was an error with launcher.exe, application must be terminated", easy like this unfortunately and have no clue about this problem...
Any help really appreciated!

Best regards,

Gianluca

JG5_Emil
Jul-28-2013, 12:10
Here is a guide to get everything working.

Watch the video and follow to the word

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=uu3SrdqlB64

gianluca
Jul-28-2013, 16:46
Hi Emil thks a lot for the link but I have this problem before installing ATAG update: at that point I've not yet arrived....

ATAG_Colander
Jul-28-2013, 19:15
Hi Gianluca,

Please see if you have Windows update KB2670838 installed. It is known to cause issues in many games (including this one).

If you do, uninstall it and see if that solves your problem.

gianluca
Jul-29-2013, 03:00
Hi Gianluca,

Please see if you have Windows update KB2670838 installed. It is known to cause issues in many games (including this one).

If you do, uninstall it and see if that solves your problem.

will do tonight, thks!

gianluca
Jul-29-2013, 10:01
No luck, I don't have that update installed and still the launcher fails of course.... I tried to load a track (landscape sightseeing with the Moth) and it worked for some minutes and then the screen freezed and had to shut down my computer. I guess it could eventually be a memory (RAM) related error which was common also in IL-2 which would simply mean my rig cannot handle CloD; strange enough as it can handle FSX pretty well.
Is there a launcher.exe available as, let me say, stand alone and downloadable somewhere? Just an idea.....
Seems I have to renounce to this game!

Anyway thks for support and have a nice day guys!

Best regards,

Gianluca

Kling
Jul-29-2013, 10:36
No luck, I don't have that update installed and still the launcher fails of course.... I tried to load a track (landscape sightseeing with the Moth) and it worked for some minutes and then the screen freezed and had to shut down my computer. I guess it could eventually be a memory (RAM) related error which was common also in IL-2 which would simply mean my rig cannot handle CloD; strange enough as it can handle FSX pretty well.
Is there a launcher.exe available as, let me say, stand alone and downloadable somewhere? Just an idea.....
Seems I have to renounce to this game!

Anyway thks for support and have a nice day guys!

Best regards,

Gianluca

What are ur system specs and windows version?

gianluca
Jul-29-2013, 11:54
Hi Kling here they are:
xp 32, sp3, 3gb RAM allowed, CPU dual core 2x3ghz, GPU GEForce 560Ti, Monitor asus 27 120hz 1920x1080.

Kling
Jul-29-2013, 12:13
Hi Kling here they are:
xp 32, sp3, 3gb RAM allowed, CPU dual core 2x3ghz, GPU GEForce 560Ti, Monitor asus 27 120hz 1920x1080.

I think your problem is the lack of Ram and that you are running 32bit winxp.
I had exactly these problems until i went for 64bit system and more ram. The game would freeze on me and give me launcher crashes... it disappeared the same day I installed win7 64...

gianluca
Jul-30-2013, 04:20
Hi Kling I guess you're right, I really see no other problems in my install.
Now comes the next question: how to uninstall CloD from my hardware?
Moreover, am I going to loose my registration key installing it on a new machine?
And last but not least, thinking to a new install: is it possible to have multiple install on the same computer?

Thks again to you all and best regards!

Gianluca

Greywing
Jul-30-2013, 05:40
Hi Gianluca,

Steam doesn't appear to have an uninstall option for games. It does have a delete local content option, however I doubt this will clean up the game completely.

I use a program called Revo uninstaller. Its very good and searches your registry and HDD for all entries to do with software. it works best if you install through it. It can track programs that weren't. My Revo has CLoD as an entry. The best thing is you can download a free fully functional 30 day trial of it.

As far as Steam reg. codes go I have several games installed on several pcs here and I'm able to use the games on all of them. Just not at the same time. Steam will recognise a new PC and ask you to verify it by entering a code sent to your steam registered email address. I think you wont even have to enter your eg code for CLoD again. Steam recognisies the user more than the computer so to speak.

I'm not sure about multiple installs on the same machine. I guess if you can get it to install twice both should work.

Cheers

GW

bolox
Jul-30-2013, 05:58
multiple installs are possible- all you need to do is copy the "il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover " folder from ..//steamapps/common. Paste wherever (rename if you want). This is also a good way to have a backup
Then make a shortcut of the launcher.exe, rename it and drag onto desktop- for ease of launching.
Steam must be running beforehand to be able to run this copied version.
It also will use the same config files etc from Mydocs.

I use multiple copies of CoD in various patch/modded configurations- just like old IL2:D

gianluca
Jul-30-2013, 06:28
Thks Bolox and Greywing!

DUI
Jul-30-2013, 08:05
how to uninstall CloD from my hardware?
Moreover, am I going to loose my registration key installing it on a new machine?
Indeed, you can use the "clear local content" function in steam (via a right-click on the game entry). Alternatively, just use the standard Windows deinstallation routine to deinstal CloD (the same that helps you uninstalling other software).

Steam is a plattform that enables you playing your registered games on any computer. If you buy a new one just install Steam, login with your Steam account and you are ready to install Cliffs of Dover again or any of your other Steam games. So do not worry.

My strong guess is as well that your launcher problems is due to the combination of Windows XP 32bit and just 3 GB ram. I experienced the same issues with the launcher crash about a year ago before I upgraded from Windows Vista 32bit and 4 GB ram. With Vista 64bit and 8 GB ram it suddently worked without problems anymore.

A shame that CloD does not run on your computer... :(