PDA

View Full Version : Cold engines

jlan5031
Jul-16-2013, 22:09
When I first started learning the ins and outs of COD, the default setting for the aircraft engines was off and cold. One had to learn appropriate warm up procedures and times. That's not true now. The default settings start with a running, warmed up, engine, Is there some command that allows selecting the cold engine startups?

ATAG_Colander
Jul-16-2013, 22:11
If you spawn parked, your engine will be stopped and cold.
If you spawn on a runway (not parked) it will be ready to go.

92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)
Jul-17-2013, 04:27
whilst we're on the subject....

What are the odds of RAF fighters being pre-warmed?

I'm all in favour of our bases being attacked, but it would be nice to scramble in response.....rather than having to sit there merrily waiting for the engine to heat up.

Foul Ole Ron
Jul-17-2013, 07:06
Would be nice to have that rumble effect when your engine isn't fully warmed up modified as well. Feels silly that your engine is completely unusable at 69deg but just as soon as it clicks over into 70deg whahey off you go without a care in the world.

ATAG_Snapper
Jul-17-2013, 07:35
I remember discussing pre-warmed RAF fighters with Colander about a year ago. Unfortunately, in MP it was not possible to spawn in with engine running and warmed up for immediate take off, unlike the SP Quick Missions. I don't believe that situation has changed with the recent TF patches.

Historically, RAF ground crews would be warming up the engines in the pre-dawn darkness in readiness for the likelihood of early-morning scrambles. There are numerous accounts of Battle of Britain pilots being awakened by the sound of Merlins being fired up by the erks. I'm speculating the same was done by LW ground crew as well, if only to check for any possible mechanical problems prior to the day's mission.

With the Team Fusion Cliffs of Dover the warm up time on Spits is not very long, even with their cold-blooded carbs. It leaves you a bit vulnerable if you spawn in during a strafing attack, but I don't wait for a full warm up under those circumstances. I'll "force" the engine into take off rpms and to heck with long term engine reliability. With the Team Fusion patches the days of protracted vulching and base camping seem to be behind us which reduces the urgency for immediate take offs upon spawning in. I use the warm up period to set my gun sight and compass/DG, review the briefing objectives, then check for time left in the mission and what objectives the other side has completed (to determine what objectives remain).

Would I prefer a warmed up engine upon spawning? Yes! It's historical, I'm aloft sooner, and I can do all my preflight crap during climb out (at a greater risk of being caught with my head in the cockpit by an opposing fighter happening by). Is it an urgent requirement? For me, no.

92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)
Jul-17-2013, 08:24
Is it an urgent requirement? For me, no.

agree.

Dutch
Jul-17-2013, 10:24
agree.

Me too. By the time you've set your course setter, gyro and gunsight, not to mention planning your route with the map tools, it's time to go. No worries on warm-up times for me. :thumbsup:

1lokos
Jul-17-2013, 11:58
When I first started learning the ins and outs of COD, the default setting for the aircraft engines was off and cold. One had to learn appropriate warm up procedures and times. That's not true now. The default settings start with a running, warmed up, engine, Is there some command that allows selecting the cold engine startups?

Seems that is now in game code - even if you dont set in mission the plane spawn with engine ON.

As palliative you can open .mis file and change (or add) the line

Scramble 1 to
SetOnPark 1

This spawn plane with engines OFF, but in park area, not at end of runaway as in first version of game.

Sokol1

Roblex
Jul-17-2013, 12:15
I may be wrong but I am sure I have been in privatelu hosted MP games that started on the runway with warmed engines.

ATAG_Snapper
Jul-17-2013, 16:08
I may be wrong but I am sure I have been in privatelu hosted MP games that started on the runway with warmed engines.

That gives us hope! :thumbsup:

:)

ATAG_Colander
Jul-17-2013, 16:55

I think the only way to do that is if you select a plane already in the mission and not create a new one from the menu.

Roblex
Jul-17-2013, 17:09
I think the only way to do that is if you select a plane already in the mission and not create a new one from the menu.

Not sure that was the case as the other problem we had was that we were spawning on top of each other ie there were just one or two spawnpoints that were on the runway. Started with brakes on as well which caused some confusion :-) I will PM the person who wrote it (just a small practice map)

No.54 Ghost (KL-G)
Jul-18-2013, 08:10
Would be nice to have that rumble effect when your engine isn't fully warmed up modified as well. Feels silly that your engine is completely unusable at 69deg but just as soon as it clicks over into 70deg whahey off you go without a care in the world.

the rumble effect would be awesome!
your engine will work fine with oil temp at around 30 if you go 110 % power, but i know what you mean.

i would not mind if all RAF front line fighters spawned warmed up but since it really doesn't take long too warm up i dont care much.
being able to rearm and reload again seems like a bigger priority

Foul Ole Ron
Jul-18-2013, 08:36
Absolutely - it's no biggie at all and there's far bigger priorities. It's just one of those things that stands out as very evidently just scripted and not modelled. Doesn't really impact gameplay as getting to the warmed up state doesn't take much time at all.

Oersted
Jul-24-2013, 08:15
Maybe some do not realise it, but you don't have to leave your engine in idle during warm-up. You can give increasing amounts of throttle, keeping it just below where the bad running sets in, and the warm-up very quickly brings oil to 40 and coolant to 60 and you can go full throttle up. With a light fuel load you can even move forward and exit the hangar during warm-up. At present there is no problem about the warm-up at all. I actually like it, it makes the sim seem a good deal more realistic.

92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)
Jul-24-2013, 08:38
Maybe some do not realise it, but you don't have to leave your engine in idle during warm-up. You can give increasing amounts of throttle, keeping it just below where the bad running sets in, and the warm-up very quickly brings oil to 40 and coolant to 60 and you can go full throttle up. With a light fuel load you can even move forward and exit the hangar during warm-up. At present there is no problem about the warm-up at all. I actually like it, it makes the sim seem a good deal more realistic.

24% in the spitfire.
25% is where the shudder sets in, until you hit 40 degrees oil.

ATAG_Snapper
Jul-24-2013, 09:52

I have almost no problem with the warm up. Exception: when the airfield is under attack. There is nothing historic about Battle of Britain pilots waiting for their engines to warm up. There was a war on -- that was what erks were for. Merlins were always started and warmed up by the mechanics in the pre-dawn darkness. "Scramble" meant "SCRAMBLE!!!!"

92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)
Jul-24-2013, 10:30
"Scramble" meant "SCRAMBLE!!!!"

There is no scramble for the RAF in Cliffs of Dover online.

There is only taxi precariously out from strangely small hanger at snail's pace... :P

Roblex
Jul-24-2013, 12:54
Maybe some do not realise it, but you don't have to leave your engine in idle during warm-up. You can give increasing amounts of throttle, keeping it just below where the bad running sets in, and the warm-up very quickly brings oil to 40 and coolant to 60 and you can go full throttle up. With a light fuel load you can even move forward and exit the hangar during warm-up.

I always fly with 100% fuel and always manage to taxi-out (albeit 'slowly') while still at low enough revs not to rumble. I don't start opening the throttle from zero until oil temp reaches 20 though.

ATAG_Snapper
Jul-24-2013, 13:45
There is no scramble for the RAF in Cliffs of Dover online.

There is only taxi precariously out from strangely small hanger at snail's pace... :P

Wrongo, my good friend! You're spawning into the wrong airfield, is all! :-P