PDA

View Full Version : Question about upcoming patch...

trooph
Jul-18-2013, 08:23
Few thing regarding improved spotting keeps crossing my mind every now and than, so i decided to ask:)
When TF will release next patch that will include better AC spotting and all the improvements will We be able to return to full HD res?
Also are we gonna keep those current settings like MeshShowLOD=1 and all other fixes to keep those AC in view?

Regards
Trooph

92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)
Jul-18-2013, 08:38
Buzzsaw answered your questions, I think, in this thread; http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4923&page=3

We are working towards a late August/early September release.

And if that seems like a long time, below is a general outline of the changes and additions we hope to include. Most of these have been mentioned already on the board.

- Refinement of Flight Model performance for all Fighter aircraft, more accurate ceilings, altitude performance, etc.
- Revision of high speed handling for all aircraft
- Revision of overheat modelling for all aircraft
- Revision of damage modelling for all aircraft
- Revision of all onboard weapons types effects
- 10 or more new aircraft versions (not new aircraft models, new versions of existing aircraft, most flyable, some not)
- Up to 3 new versions of Channel Map, Summer, Fall, Winter
- Revision of LOD's to improve spotting
- Revision of Cloud effects
- Many new cockpit etc. revisions
- Many new aircraft skins
- Revision of graphics effects for weapons, explosions, etc.
- Updated and revised terrain, object, cloud, ocean, etc. textures and effects
- Probably have missed a number of improvements

- Special mod package of effects, aircraft, etc. which will be revealed later.

ATAG_Snapper
Jul-18-2013, 09:14
I think Trooph posed the same questions many of us have been wondering, and the proof will be in the pudding. Buzzsaw's response and Mattias' screenshots of the before-after of the Hurricanes' dot visibility makes me optimistic that Clod can be run in native HD res and allow sufficient long distance spotting of aircraft to enable proactive tactical maneuvering.

I run my monitor at 1366 x 768 (native res = 1920 x 1080). Dots are visible from distance (about 3/4 across Channel) and looking down vertically from about 20 angels. But when I bring my monitor to native res, I'm constantly reacting to enemy aircraft, having spotted them -- if I'm lucky -- as they're fast closing in on me. Frequently at native resolution my first indication that I'm coming under attack is when the cannon shells are impacting my aircraft.

The downside to running at 1366 x 768 is.....the world around you, including the cockpit instruments, is largely a shimmery, blurry mess. Aesthetics aside, tracking close aircraft becomes problematic against sky and terrain since the LOD shapes of the aircraft blend into their surroundings. Climbing aircraft literally disappear into the sky as I watch, forcing me to immediately disengage and dive away pronto. Not to do so is suicidal -- you can't fight what you can't see. Yes, I have MeshShowLod enabled (= 1). Unfortunately, the low res shimmeriness works against you when tracking relatively close aircraft. It's a trade off of sorts, but I've found it's far better to see approaching aircraft at distance and risk losing sight of them perhaps momentarily at closer distances, than vice versa. My kill score increased dramatically at the lower res, and my deaths plummeted.

Fingers crossed the next TF patch allows native resolution distance visibility as well as eliminate the transitional disappearing act.