PDA

View Full Version : MG and exterior Sounds in Cockpit

Badileus
Jul-24-2013, 08:04
Hi there,

i am not very demanding regarding absolutely perfect sound (and graphics) in a flight simulation and quite content which i have in CLOD, but two things don´t fit at all for me: When i sit in the Cockpit (Spifire for example), i have all these photorealistic Instruments around me, and when i look out of the window, i see this beautiful landscape - it all feels great and like the real thing, but as soon as i push the fire-button, i see these simple lines which supposed to be tracers (looking like laser beams from a 20-year old space game) and hear this strange, thin MG-sound. The cannon of the 109 is ok, but the MG´s are far from real, or am i wrong?

I know this discussion is not new, but i didn´t find any hint if there is a solution in the near future, esp. for the MG-Sound, which is really annoying for me.

Another issue: The exterior sound seems to be disabled when i am in cockpit (canopy closed) with running motor. I think this is supposed to be more realistic, but when a Me109 in full speed passes only a few meters from me, i shouldt hear something, i think...the total quietness outside seems unnatural to me. Is there anything that i can change (in an ini-file perhaps?).

Thank you in advance for any replies, perhaps there are changes in the next update...

JG5_Emil
Jul-24-2013, 08:29
There is no way you should hear anything like another aircraft over a 1500 horse power engine while in flight.

In fact one problem that still exists with CLOD is that you can cheat and open a window to hear approaching aircraft.

92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)
Jul-24-2013, 08:33
There is no way you should hear anything like another aircraft over a 1500 horse power engine while in flight.

It's possible to hear another aircraft that are VERY close by, providing their engine tone is different from your own, AND the canopy is open AND your pilot does not have earplugs/ headphones on. However, that scenario almost never occurs, so for all practical purposes in this game, you are right.

In fact one problem that still exists with CLOD is that you can cheat and open a window to hear approaching aircraft.

Agree. The wind noise should be horrendous. This applies to that little side window in the 109 too.

Above a certain speed it should not be possible to close the canopy again either (especially spits add hurris, who would have to slide it back against the wind).

92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)
Jul-24-2013, 08:36
I know this discussion is not new, but i didn´t find any hint if there is a solution in the near future, esp. for the MG-Sound, which is really annoying for me.

I suspect (given your spitfire example) that you're talking about the RAF browning?
that weapon does, IRL, sound thin -> See the video falf way down this article;
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15652440

Notice how the "dubbed over" sound from the black and white film sounds nothing like the actual browning. Most of our expectations about how the browning .303 MG should sound are more informed by propaganda films with dubbed over sound than they are actual audio form the weapon.

JG5_Emil
Jul-24-2013, 08:49
I imagine we will never know what it really sounded like when in cockpit because the sound will be traveling through the frame of the aircraft rather than through the air. Pilots described it as a ripping/tearing sound.

92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)
Jul-24-2013, 09:54
I imagine we will never know what it really sounded like when in cockpit because the sound will be traveling through the frame of the aircraft rather than through the air. Pilots described it as a ripping/tearing sound.

Yup. impossible to simulate it properly. Pilots wore fur lined/ leather helmets too...