PDA

View Full Version : Friday Update 26/07/2013 - Sound Engine

ATAG_Slipstream
Jul-26-2013, 14:14
Hello Pilots,

In this Friday update I'll be covering some of the advances we have made with the sound engine, however this update is not so much about actual sounds, but what we can now do with them to provide a better experience.

As you all know, the Spitfire IIA uses the Coffman starter, but the way things worked before was that all Merlin powered planes used the same sounds, So if we were to replace the electric starter sound with a Coffman sound, All the Spitfires and Hurricanes would have Coffman starters. Obviously not very desirable!

Likewise with the DB601's. With the introduction of the BF109E4/N and its higher compression DB601N engine it would be more historical to have a higher pitched sound, however as before, this would mean that all the planes using DB601's would have the same pitch.

Over the last 6 months many thousands of hours have been put in to researching and testing different areas of the game and this obviously includes sound, so now we are able manipulate the sound with pretty much full control and add unique sounds to the simulation as needed. There is still a long way to go to make everything sound right so we cannot make any promises on releases, but we were so excited we just had to let you know!

This update was originally supposed to be text, but whats an update without a video!

NOTE: The content in the video is WIP and supposed to show what we can do, rather than the actual sounds. Its a rough mix and there are a few sound bugs, so no lawnmower jokes, ok? :D

http://youtu.be/GM__9jgMs8Q

Kling
Jul-26-2013, 14:29
Hello Pilots,

In this Friday update I'll be covering some of the advances we have made with the sound engine, however this update is not so much about actual sounds, but what we can now do with them to provide a better experience.

As you all know, the Spitfire IIA uses the Coffman starter, but the way things worked before was that all Merlin powered planes used the same sounds, So if we were to replace the electric starter sound with a Coffman sound, All the Spitfires and Hurricanes would have Coffman starters. Obviously not very desirable!

Likewise with the DB601's. With the introduction of the BF109E4/N and its higher compression DB601N engine it would be more historical to have a higher pitched sound, however as before, this would mean that all the planes using DB601's would have the same pitch.

Over the last 6 months many thousands of hours have been put in to researching and testing different areas of the game and this obviously includes sound, so now we are able manipulate the sound with pretty much full control and add unique sounds to the simulation as needed. There is still a long way to go to make everything sound right so we cannot make any promises on releases, but we were so excited we just had to let you know!

This update was originally supposed to be text, but whats an update without a video!

NOTE: The content in the video is WIP and supposed to show what we can do, rather than the actual sounds. Its a rough mix and there are a few sound bugs, so no lawnmower jokes, ok? :D

http://youtu.be/GM__9jgMs8Q

Thx for the great sounds Slipstream!!!
Do you have any videos of the new external sound from a distance?

You know the sound you hear when you spawn at an airfield in a 109 and there are a few 109s in the air somewhere above you.. :)

Regards
Kling

Mysticpuma
Jul-26-2013, 14:46
I know those of you outside of team Fusion may think we get to see these before the rest of you...but it's not always the case! There are different departments working on different features. This is the first time I've seen this and the new effects are just outstanding!

It adds so-much to the Simulation experience. Absolutely bloody fantastic!

Cheers, MP

ATAG_Colander
Jul-26-2013, 14:51
I know those of you outside of team Fusion may think we get to see these before the rest of you...but it's not always the case! There are different departments working on different features. This is the first time I've seen this and the new effects are just outstanding!

It adds so-much to the Simulation experience. Absolutely bloody fantastic!

Cheers, MP

+1.
We might know what is being worked on but not seen it.

vranac
Jul-26-2013, 15:05

That Merlin sounds much better IMHO.

Are you aware of the 109 engine sound bug when sound get attenuated? It happens in flight or sometimes at next spawn.
Not so annoying on 109E4 but it is when you fly E1/E3 and you are adjusting PP by ear.

=BKHZ=Furbs
Jul-26-2013, 15:08
Bloody great work!

Though....roundels on the 109? shame!

ATAG_Colander
Jul-26-2013, 15:28

Are you aware of the 109 engine sound bug when sound get attenuated? It happens in flight or sometimes at next spawn.
Not so annoying on 109E4 but it is when you fly E1/E3 and you are adjusting PP by ear.

We are aware of that. In fact, it you switch to outside views and back inside, each time you do, it will switch from OK, to muffled, to OK, to muffled etc..
Very weird.

Colander.

vranac
Jul-26-2013, 15:33
Thanks Colander.

ATAG_Slipstream
Jul-26-2013, 15:40
Bloody great work!

Though....roundels on the 109? shame!

Sorry Furbs, It was a captured one I used for testing! Didn't have time to repaint it! :D

Hi vranac, yes I believe its sorted as is the related bug where the external sound of the 109 changes when switching between views.

Also the BF109 sound matches the RPM more closely so that flying by ear is easier, as it was in the official 1.59 patch and before.

Kling
Jul-26-2013, 15:46
Sorry Furbs, It was a captured one I used for testing! Didn't have time to repaint it! :D

Hi vranac, yes I believe its sorted as is the related bug where the external sound of the 109 changes when switching between views.

Also the BF109 sound matches the RPM more closely so that flying by ear is easier, as it was in the official 1.59 patch and before.

Great news Slipstream! :)

ATAG_Slipstream
Jul-26-2013, 15:54
Thx for the great sounds Slipstream!!!
Do you have any videos of the new external sound from a distance?

You know the sound you hear when you spawn at an airfield in a 109 and there are a few 109s in the air somewhere above you.. :)

Regards
Kling

Hi Kling!

The distance effect still needs a lot more work before it can be shown. Its one of the most time consuming effects to achieve correctly, however Duxford is still fresh in my head (along with the hangover from countless Jagerbombs in The Eagle!:thumbsup:) so I'm hoping we can achieve something really special!

Kling
Jul-26-2013, 16:44
Hi Kling!

The distance effect still needs a lot more work before it can be shown. Its one of the most time consuming effects to achieve correctly, however Duxford is still fresh in my head (along with the hangover from countless Jagerbombs in The Eagle!:thumbsup:) so I'm hoping we can achieve something really special!

hahaha sounds good!

ATAG_JTDawg
Jul-26-2013, 18:01
Keep up the great work Slip :thumbsup: you know i'm a big fan of your sounds salute Dawg

Falco
Jul-26-2013, 23:52
You can really feel the engine come alive, great work, can't wait:salute:

=vit_unit=
Jul-27-2013, 00:49
Why do those spitfires take off without warming its engines???

ATAG_Slipstream
Jul-27-2013, 01:02
Why do those spitfires take off without warming its engines???

Hi vit_unit

It was a mistake on my part because the engines would have sounded better starting up from cold, especially the 109's. But I simply used the Blenheim cross country mission which has prestarted engines, just for quickness. Therefore the engines were already warmed before starting.

DUI
Jul-27-2013, 04:42
Great to hear that you are making progress on all front lines!

Kling
Jul-27-2013, 05:11
Hi vit_unit

It was a mistake on my part because the engines would have sounded better starting up from cold, especially the 109's. But I simply used the Blenheim cross country mission which has prestarted engines, just for quickness. Therefore the engines were already warmed before starting.

Damn it... Ah well now you must post a video with a cold engine start... ;)

Sorry those are the rules Slip...im just the messenger... :P

9./JG52 Ziegler
Jul-27-2013, 07:47
Most excellent work Slipstream and the rest of the team. Thanks :thumbsup:

JG5_Emil
Jul-29-2013, 06:18
Are there any plans to fix the issue where you can fly around with a window/cockpit open so people can hear approaching aircraft from behind?

This is pretty much the biggest issue for me in clod since I consider it an exploit of game mechanics. At least 90% of the time when I approach an aircraft from their blind spot they suddenly break hard and obviously can hear me coming. Pilots should be weaving to keep an eye on their six not rely on broken game mechanics to cheat.

Great to see more improvements from TF. The work you guys have done has made the sim very good.

Cheers

Emil

Kling
Jul-29-2013, 06:31
Are there any plans to fix the issue where you can fly around with a window/cockpit open so people can hear approaching aircraft from behind?

This is pretty much the biggest issue for me in clod since I consider it an exploit of game mechanics. At least 90% of the time when I approach an aircraft from their blind spot they suddenly break hard and obviously can hear me coming. Pilots should be weaving to keep an eye on their six not rely on broken game mechanics to cheat.

Great to see more improvements from TF. The work you guys have done has made the sim very good.

Cheers

Emil

Slipstream is aware of this and he has plans on how to get rid of this problem.

Kling
Jul-29-2013, 06:32

Cheers

Emil

Slipstream is aware of this issue and he has plans on how to get rid of this problem.

JG5_Emil
Jul-29-2013, 06:37
Slipstream is aware of this issue and he has plans on how to get rid of this problem.

Thankyou!!!

Loving the work TF has done so far.

:)

LcSummers
Jul-30-2013, 09:57
Thank you very much TF team!

Without your fantastic work, CLOD would gather dust on my shelf. Thats pretty sure. But knowing you are enhancing Clod, its on my HDD and it will fly until you will stop to develope it.

A HUGE THANK YOU!!

ATAG_Snapper
Jul-30-2013, 10:24
The Spitfire 1a - electric start is spot on, mate! The engine sound is likewise exactly how I've heard high quality recordings of Spit Merlin engines inside the cockpit. (The little GoPro and Contour minicam sound recordings are completely overwhelmed by the sheer volume of noise and vibration).

The Spitfire 2a - Coffman start: IMHO I believe the bang of the shot shell should be more pronounced as heard within the cockpit. The Merlin XX seems to have a more distinct supercharger whine to it compared to the 1a's Merlin III (I prefer the 1a's engine sound as presented).

Just my 2-pence, mate. This bit of work is very impressive, indeed. :D

ChiefRedCloud
Jul-30-2013, 12:13
Very nice gentlemen .... thanks

JG52Karaya
Jul-30-2013, 17:05
Is it not possible anymore to give every submodel of an engine a different starter sound (because that was def. possible in IL-2 1946)?

ATAG_Colander
Jul-30-2013, 17:13
Is it not possible anymore to give every submodel of an engine a different starter sound (because that was def. possible in IL-2 1946)?

uh? didn't you hear the 2 different starter sounds for the Ia and IIa in the video?

Combat Wombat
Aug-01-2013, 20:43
Only new to cliffs of Dover and Atag forum but every time i go up I encounter something new mainly 109 rounds but its fun learning the ropes ,these sounds seem like another one of the many great features of the sim, thanks slipstream for the link and help with the odd question .S!

Dutch
Aug-01-2013, 22:18
Oh Lord, I swear this is the one hundred and ninety fifth time I've attempted to post in this thread. I keep on getting 'cannot find webpage, check network connection. - love microsoft, big kisses XXX!' :recon:

However, bloody good stuff Slippy old bean. Keep the faith, and keep up the good work.:thumbsup:

Now I have to see if the site will even allow me to press 'submit reply' and get away with it. Here goes......