PDA

View Full Version : so how does this work?

92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)
Jul-27-2013, 07:01
Let's say I buy BoS, and I go online. I only have the aircraft that came with the game, and have not bought any additional aircraft.

Will there be people in the same map as me, who have significantly better performing aircraft, simply because they have paid more to obtain them?

JG5_Emil
Jul-27-2013, 08:32
I don't think that is the case in ROF. I never played it but people I know said to me that I would only need a few aircraft to be competitive.

Also you will still be able to fly on the servers where other people are flying aircraft you didn't buy. Whether or not it becomes pay to win is another matter but that was the first thing I said to my friends that play ROF and they all said that wasn't the case many of the extra aircraft were exotic bombers etc.

Black
Jul-27-2013, 08:44
In RoF you get good aircraft when you buy the game, however arguably some of the best aircraft are additional like the Fokker D VIIf.

On some RoF maps only additional aircrafts are availlable so in order to play those maps you need to buy atleast one of them. Worst case is that you even have to buy the map like with the channel map in RoF. I really hope they don't go overboard with this, Pay2Win is nothing that suits a flightsim! Basically it doesnt belong into any game but thats a different story!

I think they said that once you buy an aircraft you get everything for that aircraft, so no bonus stuff like other sights, ammo or that kind of stuff needs to be bought extra!

Looking at the two aircraft that the premium edition offers I do get the feeling that some of the best aircraft will cost extra money, especially the La5 is in a different league than the red fighters that are in the normal game if you ask me.

Dutch
Jul-27-2013, 09:15
I suppose the plane sets will be determined by the mission designers, as now. The problem is that if a mission designer includes the La5 and the Fw190, you'll only be able to fly them if you've bought them. In that sense, it will be 'pay to win', if we presume the FMs to be 'accurate'. You'll have a heck of a stronger chance in a La5 than a LaGG 3, even against the 109s, let alone the 190.

So get your wallets ready chaps, or stick with Cliffs. :D

Foul Ole Ron
Jul-27-2013, 10:16
That's true about the Lagg-3 but at least the Yak-1 is there for the Russians right from the start after you unlock it from playing a bit of single-player. That'll be a competitive plane to fly in if you don't want to splash out some more on the La-5. Once they push out a few more planes and the Yak-9, etc. appear on the scene the La-5 and Yak-9 will be most players choices I'd presume. But once you have the Yak-1 you'll never be hopelessly outclassed once we're still in the Stalingrad battle timeframe. From a standard plane-set viewpoint the Axis probably have it a bit better as you can unlock the 109-G2 which would keep you competitive throughout the initial timeframe.

Chivas
Jul-27-2013, 13:16
I don't have a problem with buying aircraft, they certainly aren't expensive going by what ROF charges for additional aircraft. These aircraft cost a lot of money to develop. My experience online is most people gravitate to one particular aircraft, and learn to fly it effectively, so just buy it. It'll cost you what 20 bucks, for countless hours of enjoyment. In IL-2 I concentrated my flight time too the 109, until it became outclassed by the newer Spits, then changed aircraft and tactics with the 190.

I like the ROF business model. Provide a decent environment with a some stock aircraft, and charge for additional aircraft. It provides a continual revenue stream, to allow the development to continue adding content, maps, and aircraft. The old IL-2 business model only generated revenue every three years or so, and Oleg eventually lost any control he had to his investors.

Salmo
Jul-28-2013, 04:00
Let's say I buy BoS, and I go online. I only have the aircraft that came with the game, and have not bought any additional aircraft.

Will there be people in the same map as me, who have significantly better performing aircraft, simply because they have paid more to obtain them?

As I understand it, it will depend upon the mission builder. If the MB builds a mission that have the 'pay-extra' planes, then you won't be able to join the mission online unless you have those planes.

JG52Karaya
Jul-31-2013, 04:01
As I see it flight simming in general is not for people notoriously short of cash, if you are not willing to pay somewhere between 5 - 15 per plane (depending on complexity) then BoS might not be for you. Keep in mind that that is nothing compared to what people are used to spend on individual MSFS addons.

As for BoS I am sure that over time there will be similar sales events as in RoF, as well as price reductions if you purchase several aircraft at once (up to 50% in RoF if you purchase 8 or so at a time IIRC). And the devs have also said that the overall business model will be different, not just aircraft released singly but also I guess theater related packs, say for example a Battle of Kursk (just a personal speculation) addon that incorporates a handful of aircraft as well as the necessary map, missions, etc.

Having said that I did preorder BoS but only the standard edition, I dont want to pay 40$ extra for two additional aircraft that I most probably will be able to pick up for a lot less at launch. I can also live with the fact that I wont be able to play the alpha/beta for 2-3 months, at least I know what I will be doing during my christmas holidays :thumbsup:

Greywing
Jul-31-2013, 04:44
With ROF its up to the mission designer what planes are included in a map. From what I have seen most online maps include at least one plane from each side that is in the plane set you get when you buy. Also most ROF planes are around $10 or less. It tends to be the bombers and bigger scouts that are a little more pricey. That and they have the standing discounts if you buy multiple planes at once.

Being able to buy the good plane by itself beats the hell out of Warthunder's you must buy all the lower tier stuff in this stream model. That either means drop a reasonable amount of cash to buy XP or grind for weeks to earn it in matches.