PDA

View Full Version : Damage induced drag?

92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)
Aug-07-2013, 05:35
Hi TF chaps,

Any idea if damaged aircraft parts induce drag?

I've noticed that having my wingtip or the engine cowling removed in the Spit and also having an aileron removed from the 109 does not appear to affect airspeed. Maneuverability seems to suffer, but airspeed not. But I've not really tested this properly.

Am I right, do surface damages impact on aerodynamics and thus airspeed?

Kling
Aug-07-2013, 06:11
I have the same feeling... Well on the Spits you can have massive holes in the wings and I think it increases drag a bit but not much. On the 109s i never saw big holes (reds have no cannons...yet...) so its hard to compare. The only way you can lose big chunks on blue side is a collision and there as well, losing a big chunk of your wing doesnt make you lose lots of speed. Its not until you start sidesliping in order to keep wings level and the nose above the horizon that your speed drops. Might be correct however.
Less wing=less induced drag

I agree however that big holes in the wing with metal sticking up in all directions should cause drag. No doubt about it
We must wait and see if TF can find the code for it among all the 1000s of lines of code they have to walk through daily...

Regards

9./JG52 Ziegler
Aug-07-2013, 07:57
I have the same feeling... Well on the Spits you can have massive holes in the wings and I think it increases drag a bit but not much. On the 109s i never saw big holes (reds have no cannons...yet...) so its hard to compare. The only way you can lose big chunks on blue side is a collision and there as well, losing a big chunk of your wing doesnt make you lose lots of speed. Its not until you start sidesliping in order to keep wings level and the nose above the horizon that your speed drops. Might be correct however.
Less wing=less induced drag

I agree however that big holes in the wing with metal sticking up in all directions should cause drag. No doubt about it
We must wait and see if TF can find the code for it among all the 1000s of lines of code they have to walk through daily...

Regards

Both of these were shot off and not the product of collisions, so it does happen. :-P I'd be surprized that it doesn't cause performance loss though but again, I've never tested it either. You can definately feel the differance with an aileron missing.

92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)
Aug-07-2013, 09:48
You can definately feel the differance with an aileron missing.

I agree that maneuverability is affected.
I'm just not convinced that airspeed is affected... but I might be wrong.