PDA

View Full Version : NewView - Look at P8 compass

1lokos
Aug-22-2013, 14:06
Instant view of Spitfire P-8 compass - be pressing a key/button by "non HeadTracker", POV HAT only users- like:

Small video in Spitfire: http://youtu.be/d-hOIRr4_n8
Same in Blenheim: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z626lZphVA8&feature=youtu.be

EDIT - Since ImageShack "lost" the pictures of original topic I did a new instructions - but this end a little long, thus the instructions are in PDF format inside the "CloD settings" download file.

Download NewView37x - http://forum.il2sturmovik.ru/topic/3034-pro-starichka-ila/#entry322946

Download "Clod settings" - .INI files and PDF instructions - file in .ZIP format:

The file have a pre-configured UView (User defined View), making easy test NewView (powerful but confuse do set).

In this configuration the "E" key change the actual camera position inside cockpit for a position over Spit P-8, most close possible (FOV 30) - like in above picture.
To leave this position press "joy button 3" and the camera position return for default front view.

"E" and joy "button 3" can be easily changed - explained in the PDF - or the look at P-8 instead fixed can be momentarily - "Glance at P-8". ;-)

Hurricane and Blenheim need different UView, as this is cockpit coordinates dependent, explained how do a new UView.

Additional bonus, the translation effect in HAT panning:

http://s9.postimg.org/d3pdq0h3v/Shoulder1.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/d3pdq0h3v/)

http://s9.postimg.org/clu8a5riz/Shoulder2.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/clu8a5riz/)

http://s9.postimg.org/oozjxq2l7/Shoulder3.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/oozjxq2l7/)

EDIT (17-12-2017) - As NewView is 32 bits software don't work with CLoD BLITZ - 64 bits.

ATAG_Bliss
Aug-22-2013, 16:09
Wow - Great tutorial!

Stickied!

Thanks 1lokos :salute:

Greywing
Aug-22-2013, 17:37
Thanks Sokol.

I've gone through the setup for the spit. The Add dll to registry button remained greyed out? but everything else seemed to go fine.

Do I have to run newview in the background while running the game or move the CLoD ini file to my CLoD install directory. As the buttons are not functioning in game (I have made sure they are not already assigned in game).

Cheers

GW

1lokos
Sep-17-2013, 10:08
For fast reference, the outside scale is your actual heading - if N are in North (360). :D

Example: you look at P-8, the + needle point to 140 - you are flying in HDG 220.

http://i43.tinypic.com/2a0kfgx.png

Sokol1

Sabrefly
Oct-29-2013, 15:43
Example: you look at P-8, the + needle point to 140 - you are flying in HDG 220.

Sokol1

Why is that so? What do you mean?

Is it like: 140 + 90 - 10 (magnetic declination)?

Thanks,
Sabrefly.

Sabrefly
Oct-29-2013, 16:50
Do I really need that Enable Logging ticked? I don't need the log file, so unless NewView needs it I'd better turn it off.

Thanks,
Sabrefly.

Sabrefly
Oct-29-2013, 17:25
Do I really need that Enable Logging ticked? I don't need the log file, so unless NewView needs it I'd better turn it off.

Thanks,
Sabrefly.

Ok, it's for creating new view keys, so it's not needed for flying.

Great, it's a powerful tool, but can be very useful.

Thanks,
Sabrefly.

III./ZG76_Saipan
Oct-29-2013, 17:31
isnt the offset 20 degrees or 10 degrees? i forget....

1lokos
Oct-29-2013, 17:31
The log.txt is just for get coordinates need to create a specific UserView, after this can be disabled.

Sokol1

1lokos
Oct-29-2013, 17:55
Why is that so? What do you mean?

Is it like: 140 + 90 - 10 (magnetic declination)?

No, is not related with declination (~10º in summer of 1940).

For some reason (?) the HDG that P-8 needle point is mirror of real one.

Example, you look at needle + and this point to left, if your Course Setter scale are fix in North, the reading is 260 degrees.
But this is not your real HDG, is need rotate Course Setter until N coincide with needle + to get the real value, in this case is 100º.

The above drawing is a way to fast reading the P-8 without align the Course Setter N with needle + and dont need use DG.

In the above example, the needle + point to 260 - pre-condition is Course Setter aligned with 360 (N) - what you read in drawing external scale?

100º :thumbsup:

This useful for one that fly in fighters, on small area map used in "online battles" is more than sufficient to orientate.
Is not very precise because the parallax error when look at needle + due cockpit 6DOF restriction, you are not able to
look straight from above on P-8.
Probable get a 3/4º error on reading, but since you always with good visibility - clouds are limited to CloD visible "bubble" -
you dont get lost (i think :D ).

Sokol1

Sabrefly
Oct-29-2013, 18:13

Example, you look at needle + and this point to left, if your Course Setter scale are fix in North, the reading is 260 degrees.
But this is not your real HDG, is need rotate Course Setter until N coincide with needle + to get the real value, in this case is 100º.

The above drawing is a way to fast reading the P-8 without align the Course Setter N with needle + and dont need use DG.

In the above example, the needle + point to 260 - pre-condition is Course Setter aligned with 360 (N) - what you read in drawing external scale?

100º :thumbsup:

This useful for one that fly in fighters, on small area map used in "online battles" is more than sufficient to orientate.
Is not very precise because the parallax error when look at needle + due cockpit 6DOF restriction, you are not able to
look straight from above on P-8.
Probable get a 3/4º error on reading, but since you always with good visibility - clouds are limited to CloD visible "bubble" -
you dont get lost (i think :D ).

Sokol1

Thanks, Sokol, I'll need some time to take that in. :goofy

Sabrefly.

Sabrefly
Oct-29-2013, 18:23
So, do I get it right: the needle with the + always points to then North, but if I want to use the setter I should match 180 against the +?

Sorry, I'm lost here.

Thanks,
Sabrefly.

1lokos
Oct-29-2013, 19:02
Yes, the needle + always point magnetic North. :D

If you plane are aligned with North, the needle+ point to plane nose.

The Course Setter can be used as... "course setter" :D, e.g. if you want set
a 90º course, rotate then until N are pointed for right (the HUD inform 90º). *

Fly the plane until the needle + point for N.

Or, use as I suggested, the Course Setter as scale for compass, leaving N pointed to plane nose (HUD inform 0º).
In this case, the scale are mirrored, you are flying in HDG 90º when needle + point to left (270 on Course Setter).

The "Rule of the Tumb" is: The actual heading is 360 minus the value indicated by needle +.

360 - 270 = 90º

The drawing is just to avoid maths.

*This procedure is need to calibrate the DG (Directional Giro), that is need always after you make G maneuvers.

Here are better explained: http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showpost.php?p=482351&postcount=4

Sokol1

Sabrefly
Oct-29-2013, 19:33
Yes, the needle + always point magnetic North. :D

If you plane are aligned with North, the needle+ point to plane nose.

The Course Setter can be used as... "course setter" :D, e.g. if you want set
a 90º course, rotate then until N are pointed for right (the HUD inform 90º). *

Fly the plane until the needle + point for N.

Or, use as I suggested, the Course Setter as scale for compass, leaving N pointed to plane nose (HUD inform 0º).
In this case, the scale are mirrored, you are flying in HDG 90º when needle + point to left (270 on Course Setter).

The "Rule of the Tumb" is: The actual heading is 360 minus the value indicated by needle +.

360 - 270 = 90º

The drawing is just to avoid maths.

*This procedure is need to calibrate the DG (Directional Giro), that is need always after you make G maneuvers.

Here are better explained: http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showpost.php?p=482351&postcount=4

Sokol1

Sokol, I got it finally, it's easier this way indeed (using 'mirroring' method) for cardinal orientation.

Thanks,
Sabrefly.

Sabrefly
Oct-30-2013, 03:41
Sokol, would you please help me to set up custom "Compass" view in NewView as per above but in a "toggle" way. What I mean is that now I have to push and hold Delete key or any other, that I've assigned for that, which is not very convenient sometimes. Instead I'd rather press and release the key one time to have a fixed view of the Compass, then press the same key (or maybe other if needed) again and have my POV return to the default position. The timings may be important here to adjust to the input from the joystick. If two keys are needed no problem, I can program my joystick's button to send different outputs on each press. I think many can benefit from this way of "Compass" view toggle. Will also be helpful for understanding how NewView assignments work.

Much thanks,
Sabrefly.

Sabrefly
Oct-30-2013, 06:06

To make it clear there's no aberration, it's pure geometry.

Sabrefly.

1lokos
Oct-30-2013, 10:13
Sabrefly,

I am not able to set a "instant" view with one key.
I dont find how active a Uview and go back to previous view...

The way I find is create a "default" UView, e.g. look front with FOV 70, assign to a key, e.g. Home
Create a UView to look at Spit P8, assign a key, e.g. Insert.

Use a HAT (or buttons or even another key) to press Insert and Home.

This are posted in Sukhoi, is about look at gunsight, but for P-8 is the same - it's a Google Translation, so confuse, but give you a idea.

http://i43.tinypic.com/1znx1e1.jpg

Sokol1

1lokos
Oct-30-2013, 11:39
More related (Google Translator)

A small example of setting a fixed look through gunsight, the example 109E:
[Do not forget after every adjustment to click "Apply"]

1. "Buttons" -> "Assignments" -> "Centering" [clear all items (major release Shift)] -> "User defined views ->" UView1 "-> set a joystick button, we want to center the view through sight.

2. "View Movements buttons" -> "Camera roll and translation (6DOF)" -> "Translation (Camera position" -> Assign a numeric keypad on the items "Right" / "Left" / "Forward" / "Back "(I later added the" Up "/" Down ").

3. "Aditional Settings" -> "UView coordinates" -> Select the number 1 -> Activate the checkbox 6DOF -> "hit 6DOF Setup" -> Enable all checkboxes -> Mode "Lost" (???) on everything.

4. We go in CloD -> check the flight Shift (there should be no displacement chamber - before clearing in claim 1 Shift was "Devices and return ...").

5. Keypad displace viewpoint forward and to the right (kind of easy through the scope).

6. Press Ctrl + Shift +1 (thereby we record the current position of the POV*. Ini NewView to position UView1)

7. Profit! Wherever we twirled then its head - press of claim 1 return is in sight position saved in step 6.

8. You can also write to the following UView any camera position (look for bronespinku / compass / clock, etc.) and hang them on the other keyboard or Joey.
Ctrl + Shift +1 ... 9 - recorded in camera coordinates ini file numbered UView1 ...
9. (Do not forget to activate only on the necessary 6DOF UView).

So is it possible to adjust to the New View "look" for bronespinku ?
Fits 109, sleeps and pieces.

In others I have not yet sat.

This is if you fly with TrackIR and hat free.

If one use hat - try to hang on these two types of combination with the Shift + click on the joystick HAT right / left.
In the setting of "6DOF Setup" checkbox to remove the Y-axis in the first section (Rotation (Camera direction)) - at the sight of 6 remains the possibility to look up (who wants to - and that down)

Sokol1

Sabrefly
Oct-30-2013, 13:37
Sokol, using 2 keys is not a problem, I don't mind using 2 as you mentioned. But I want the second key work as a toggle. Like, now you need to push and HOLD Delete KEY to see the Compass. Is it possible through NewView settings to just push and release Delete instead? Then to push another key and POV would return to the default position? There must be a way. If you don't know how, do you think Hruks can help in this?

Thanks,
Sabrefly.

1lokos
Oct-30-2013, 14:09
But I want the second key work as a toggle. Like, now you need to push and HOLD Delete KEY to see the Compass.

I dont know why... :D but here this thing dont need hold the key to see the compass.

Work this way:

I press (and release) the key - Numpad 0 - for look at compass, the camera move for P-8 and stay there!

To look front again I need use a button on joystick, set in NewView to "Return to center slowly" and in CloD GUI to adjust FOV in 70º.

I remember that once worked as you describe, holding a key...but now I can not do it again... :whacky4:

Sokol1

1lokos
Oct-30-2013, 14:18
Meanwhile a setting for:

Turn Gunsight Illumination ON and set Gunsight Range in 250 feet.
Turn Gunsight Illumination OFF and reset Gunsight Range to 400 feet (default setting).

http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/2876/mjxq.jpg
Edit-Two press are not necessary.

Works like a charm. :thumbsup:

Sokol1

Sabrefly
Oct-30-2013, 15:08
Nice!

Sabrefly.

Sabrefly
Nov-02-2013, 06:27
http://imageshack.us/a/img198/2749/i916.jpg

Click in the first (left) box "?" and in the new window select "Activation" press "Scan Key" and press the SAME key or button set for the above created UView (2).
Hit Apply and close NewView, confirm save changes.

In game when you hit the key/button set for Uview (2) the camera move to P-8 at FOV 90 (the nearest).
To look front again hit the key/button set for Uview (1).
This is done with FOV 90 - but you can set for other preferred FOV (30, 70) with another "Button generator" for FOV 30 or 70, as explained above for FOV 90.

1Lokos,

There is 500 msec delay in the screenshot above. Is this the time that your view stays glued to the Compass?

Now it works here as follows: I press and release Key Ins (0) on the numpad, my POV goes over the Compass and stays there for some short time, unfortunately too short for me. Is there a way to extend the time to, say, 5 seconds? I tried to play with the above delay, but I don't feel it really works over 1-2 seconds or so no matter what I enter in there.

Also can you comment on the following options:

Generator two press
Start stop
Stay pressed.

I've tried "Stay pressed" and I like it in principle, I think it's what I really want, i.e. to be able to look at the Compass as long as I want to without automatic return to the default position. Unfortunately I can not figure out how to undo this mode with another key (or perhaps the same key toggle).

1Lokos, when you have time could you try this mode and see if you can find a way to undo it (it stays glued over the Compass!). I'd really appreciate your help with this.

Thanks,
Sabrefly.

1lokos
Nov-02-2013, 12:00
There is 500 msec delay in the screenshot above. Is this the time that your view stays glued to the Compass?

I dont notice this delay before - probable are from another set tested in this UView. I change to 0 and dont make difference.

my POV goes over the Compass and stays there for some short time, unfortunately too short for me.

Also can you comment on the following options:

Generator two press
Start stop
Stay pressed.

I've tried "Stay pressed" and I like it in principle, I think it's what I really want, i.e. to be able to look at the Compass as long as I want to without automatic return to the default position. Unfortunately I can not figure out how to undo this mode with another key (or perhaps the same key toggle).

Well, I really dont understand NewView options - I think that this GUI translation are done by someone that dont know English (remember-me CloD GUI :D).
I try use these example in Sukhoi forum, and what I achieve is more by "accident".

...to undo it (it stays glued over the Compass!). I'd really appreciate your help with this.

To undo POV - look front after look at compass - first, as in OP, I use another UView, but find that using a button for "Center View Slowly (Press Once)" do this. EDIT - I dont notice that this button for "Center View Slowly" are set to active the "default" UView too, so this UView is need to look front again. :whacky: :D

http://i42.tinypic.com/ym80y.jpg

Pressing Numpad 0 or Insert move the camera for P8 and "glue" there, pressing button 3 on Joystick move camera to front (under POV 70, set on CloD GUI for the same button 3).

I tick this "Instantly" box on "Setup 6DOF UView" - Rotation (Camera direction) - but again dont see difference, the camera still change for P-8 and "glue" there. :D

Send your Newview conf.ini to anonfiles.com or similar, I test here.

EDIT - A point to note, I dont use TrackIR (I dont get used) or Freetrack, maybe this is the cause for different results. Case use is need assigns in "Helmet".

Sokol1

1lokos
Dec-02-2013, 13:11
Inspired by this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcMjhihuuX8

Set Newview 'Button Generator' for, at each press drop Bf109 flaps ~2º,
or ~1/4 of turn, like the guy show in above video.

http://i43.tinypic.com/11w9gt3.png

In fact , in video he do 22 "pulls", but I set for 20, so:

5 pulls= 10º
10 pulls= 20º
15 pulls= 30º
20 pulls= 40º

You can't press fast five times an forget, need press and wait ~2s to "pull again", etc.
The objective is mimic the system (anyway the actual press and hold ~20 seconds is boring :-P and you dont know much flaps are drop - in TT 4.0 the marks on flap is not visible from cockpit, due "shine"/skins)
and not cheat the system (possible with HOTAS software, for example one press drop to 10º, other to 20º, etc).

http://i44.tinypic.com/149sig2.png
Alt+V active the"Button Generator" that press and hold F key for ~2s.

This 1120 value is not possible to set in Newview GUI - only up to 999 isregistered - is need edit IL-2 Sturmovik_ Cliffs of Dover_1.INI in NewView folder.

To raise use the same process (set another 'button generator' in similar way), or hold F. ;-)

Sokol1

ATAG_Septic
Apr-07-2014, 14:28
Thanks for sharing your knowledge 1lokos. :thumbsup:

I wanted to set up a compass view for the Blenheim, which would be really helpful.

I managed to follow your excellent instructions but NewView seems to conflict with something and I can't launch the game with it running. I don't use Sweetfx and have disabled MSI Afterburner Overlay but it still won't run.

Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks,

Septic. :salute:

1lokos
Apr-07-2014, 17:04
NewView use (TrackIR) NPClient.dll, is a "TrackIR" on HAT, perhaps this is the issue if you use TrackIR, last versions of this use a encrypted .dll due Freetrack.

In NewView are a tab to set TrackIR (or Freetrack) - NewView developer say that have advantages in use both together ... but he drop support for this in CloD, with the official CloD "dead" (by 1C)...

BTW - If you sort this, a additional tip: set the same key used in NewView for look at Blenheim P-8 compass to set FOV on 30 degrees (in Camera, - use New, e.g. I use PagUp), so when you hit this key the POV move to compass with more closure possible.

Since CloD controls allow make various copy of same command you can do this for each key set for UView for planes too, the same UView used for Hurri P-8 is good for Spit (inverse no).

Sokol1

hnbdgr
Apr-21-2014, 11:46
I really want to use this to set a quickview for the temperature gauge. I made it work for the most part but there are 2 problems:

1.) NewView takes over FacetrackNoIR and changes my curves, which are off by a large margin. So for instance I can't look as far back as I'm able with FTNoIR

2.) I expected it to work similarly to the glance at dashboard button but it sort of sticks there for a second, which is too long for me:))

Does anybody have any insights/ideas?

1lokos
Apr-21-2014, 13:47
1 - Maybe you can adjust curves inside NewView on tab "HeadTracking" - select TrackIR/Freetrack.
I can't help with this because I am a "headtrack allergic" - have a TrackIR4 on drawer at ~6 years - Every time I try to use, I feel urge to break it... :dazed: )

2 -I have a "glance at P-8" just setting a UView coordinates values and assign a key (#5 on keypad) for this in the box with a "?" in Uview Coordinates.
So press and hold #5 I look at P-8, and releasing the camera go back to front view.

If you want a "toggle" command is necessary set a button/key on "Buttons > Keymapper" for this Uview.

But, I dont find advantage in use cockpit 6DOF to look at (Spit) temps instruments, you don't get a better vision than using "Glance at Dashboard", only maybe with more ZOOM.
You can test this adjusting the 6DOF with mouse (press and hold mouse middle and right button and mouse mouse).

Sokol1

hnbdgr
Nov-05-2014, 07:48
Bump - has anyone been able to make this work alongside trackir/ftnoir? I got some results yesterday but it all stopped working when I started ftnoir and restarted the game.

Can somebody also explain if i got this right: once you run the initial config along with cliffs, you then exit newview and anytime you start Clod newview will activate because of NPClient.dll ? If you change settings, you need to restart clod for those to take effect...? Am I right?

Stix
Feb-19-2016, 06:42
Thanks for the posts. I tried to follow this but I'm too stupid... Was another language (setting up Newview) looks powerful.
I think a you tube video would be a lot easier to understand...

Maybe they can put a compass option in a panel... The one is the sim is to much hard work to frig around with , you get shot or crash into a hill before you can read the damn thing... (its just a bit hard to do this in this sim with is limited leaning options, without track ir)
:-)

Baffin
Feb-19-2016, 09:26
If you're serious about using the compass, you have to practice with it. Try taxiing around on the ground while observing the way it points and practice setting the course a few times. You have to put in the time... :hpyflying:

Stormrider
Feb-20-2016, 08:54
There is a video on youtube for the Course Setter and Directional Gyro in a spitfire.Just watch it and try it yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-p8Iot0W6M

Stormrider

***edit***

I missed that part that you didn't had something like ir-tracking.Maybe something like a tool named virtual cockpit can help you.With this tool you can dispay your cocpitinstruments on second monitor or even on a tablet/smartphone.
http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/Downloads.php?do=download&downloadid=38

1lokos
Feb-22-2016, 17:08
The one is the sim is to much hard work to frig around with , you get shot or crash into a hill before you can read the damn thing... (its just a bit hard to do this in this sim with is limited leaning options, without track ir)
:-)

Perhaps our MOD'ers can improve CloD view system a bit, like DCS and BoS, that allow save custom views for any instrument in cockpit. In (BoS) IL2 is possible look at compass hidden under gunsight just pressing a key.

CloD need this, set the view with mouse pres some key, and this view is saved as snap view, e.g. look at P-8 Compass. :thumbsup:

Besides this NewView (a bit of "complicated" - can conflict with other games view system - no longer developed/supported),
I try with macros with Joy2Key, XPadder - involving up to 4/5 keys, for a way easy way to look at this instrument, but none solution
is 100% and not easy for "Average Joe Simmer" reproduce. :)

Baffin
Feb-22-2016, 20:08
In my opinion, CLoD does not need this. This simulator has always been based on the real thing in real time. Of course, we must make concessions due to time/cost constraints but it defeats the purpose of a realistic Battle of Britain sim to add features that were not available to pilots in the actual conflict. We should continue to promote the operation of WWII aircraft as seen from the cockpit in 1940. Those pilots had just as much trouble seeing the compass as we do... they just had to deal with it.

This is not to say we should actively prohibit add-ons for players unwilling or unable to observe and interpret the realistic instruments provided to us by the original programmers and the Team Fusion crew. We would need a realism gestapo for that. Nevertheless, we should continue to promote the use of the visuals provided to us in game in the same way we encourage realistic game play without features like "Pause", "Inflight reload", etc., and discourage computer enhancements to increase players' advantage in any way. :hpyflying:

1lokos
Feb-22-2016, 20:58
In my opinion, CLoD does not need this. This simulator has always been based on the real thing in real time. Of course, we must make concessions due to time/cost constraints but it defeats the purpose of a realistic Battle of Britain sim to add features that were not available to pilots in the actual conflict. We should continue to promote the operation of WWII aircraft as seen from the cockpit in 1940. Those pilots had just as much trouble seeing the compass as we do... they just had to deal with it.

OK, but for not TrackIR users, the only option is use mouse, by pressing Middle and Right button simultaneous and move mouse back and forth and for left.
Awkward and in no way increase the immersion or the (BS) "realism".
No way to view this only with joy HAT - what many players still using for control vision (TrackIR is not properly "cheap" out side of American market).

The proposed shortcut will be like the "Glance at dashboard" (this help read the DI) or "Lean to gunsight" - besides this still difficult read the P-8 scale due the parallax
in 3D cockpit, and the P-8 missing "lubber line" make set course difficult - and no, "those pilots" don't have a digital HUD saying: "Course setter: 60º" - until this
was fixed (if...) I cant' turn off this dumb "HUD". :D

I want navigate looking at cockpit compass and not in fool solutions like this (http://i60.tinypic.com/243gshk.jpg) (1), but I need a easy way to do this, like the "real pilot" do. :thumbsup:

PS - I have TrackIR (4) and no way to get used with the "floating vision" of this thing. :P

(1) I bet if did a pool between CLoD players the majority approve similar thing. :D

Here I get a reasonable solution for HAT user: HAT+Joy2key and a two steep movement to look at P-8.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BJd4mIvHK4

But this require a joystick with pinky switch - for modify HAT behavior - what low cost models dont have...

At ~0:30 is show the "Glance at dashboard" - a default shortcut of the game. We just need a similar for P-8.

Baffin
Feb-23-2016, 11:08
I understand your concern for players without good head trackers, however a game as complex and realistic as "ATAG Axis and Allies" demands a certain commitment to hardware. Besides a joystick, IT IS ONLY MY OPINION that throttle(s), rudder pedals and a good head-tracker are necessary to play it well. Of course we realize that there are financial considerations at play here, so some players must make do with less than that. If you have fewer hardware accessories, you may be unable to compete for the highest scores, but you can still participate within the constraints of your computer gear. Nevertheless, in order to present a "Level" playing field for all ATAG CLoD players, the code should not be changed in any way that compromises realism.

It is a never-ending challenge to our ATAG and Team Fusion managers to balance the game for high-end as well as entry level players. I personally want it to stay true to its origininal design as a real-time, realistic simulation. Extra screens?...:signs6:

1lokos
Feb-23-2016, 12:08
Nevertheless, in order to present a "Level" playing field for all ATAG CLoD players, the code should not be changed in any way that compromises realism.

Err, if I can use 3rd part software, Joy2Key, Xpadder, TARGET...and play with scripts - what is not accessible to all,
this "level" only hinder the guys that can afford buy "high end" hardware.

I am a "hardhead hardcore", completely against gamey features in Combat Sim Games - and il-2'46 and CloD have various -
but what is discussed there is not gamey, is just practical, is not like have this digital pop-up over instruments, what some Luffwafe players
use to have a "digital compass" leaving the mouse pointed at strategic place.

Enforce players do a difficult task dont make the game "realistic", only show lack o vision of game producers.

Based in you POV, the "Glance at dashboard", digital pop-up, make the engine Info window show %... should removed from the game, they are all "gamey". :D

1lokos
Feb-24-2016, 14:34
Thanks for the posts. I tried to follow this but I'm too stupid... Was another language (setting up Newview) looks powerful.
I think a you tube video would be a lot easier to understand...

Stix,

Look at this new instructions - think more easy now.

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5374&p=55481#post55481

Do a video will be complicate and result length and I don't "spok'ingrish".

After ~50 test flights I am able to set the Course Setter without look at this dumb digital blue HUD, despite the lack of "Lubber Line" (http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9849&p=170539&viewfull=1#post170539) - HOW IN THE WORLD A 3D MODELLER FORGET THIS IMPORTANT DETAIL ON P-8? :D
How set "Red on Red"* without this? :-P

PS - Don't find any evidence on P-8 of this the second red of "Red on Red" motto, think that original phrase are "Needle on Red" but as English man talk with a potato under the tongue, someone got it wrong and write. :-)

Baffin
Feb-24-2016, 19:17
This horse is dead. I'm not going to beat it anymore. :sleep:

1lokos
Feb-27-2016, 10:00
And why not? NewView + TrackIR. :D

http://s29.postimg.org/nd8x52gpv/Track_IR.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/nd8x52gpv/)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXbet_MA5tU

1lokos
Feb-29-2016, 13:32
UView coordinates for "Glance at P-8 Compass" in Blenheim:

UView coordinates for "Glance at P-8 Compass" in Hurricane:

UView coordinates for "Glance at Dashboard" in Hurricane with DG visible - is not in CLoD default for this plane:

UView coordinates for "Glance at P-8 Compass" in Spitfire with DG visible.

In all is possible align Course Setter with P-8 needle and adjust DG without change the camera position. :thumbsup:

Stormrider
Mar-01-2016, 11:08
@1lokos,

I asume this can also work with opentrack and Ed-tracker, or am I wrong?Where can I find NewView to download?I can only find dead links.:(

1lokos
Mar-01-2016, 11:25
Don't know, but as are the Freetrack option in interface are a good chance.
I have some components there to build a EDTrack but don't find a mere tactile micro-switch in this "corneroftheworld". :(

This link for download NewView_37x.zip - in Sturmovik Russian forum - is OK.

http://forum.il2sturmovik.ru/topic/3034-pro-starichka-ila/#entry322946

Talisman
Mar-04-2016, 08:43
I don't see a problem in the first instance. I just regularly set my gyro compass off the main compass and fly from the gyro. Just takes practise to do in a matter of seconds. I reset the gyro all the time and can do it doing 300 mph at wave tops for navigation even when being chased by multiple bf 109.
I use keyboard keys set together in a square (home, end, page up, page down) and use these keys blind using touch without taking my eyes off the screen and in-game cockpit instruments (use peripheral vision to fly correct and even time to check 6 while setting degrees if a long way off).
I even use this method in air-quake servers to practise my speed of operation under combat pressure. Just takes dedication and practise to gain the skill; like a lot of things in CloD.
I like to fly with a clean PC screen using in-game cockpit instruments and very much dislike on-sceen HUD like graphics. I like the immersion and the challenge of needing to really know the aircraft inside out in order to get the best out of it.
I fly with a keyboard and cheap second-hand FF joysticks off e-bay, no HOTAS for me. Plus CH rudder pedals and TIR5.

Happy landings,

Talisman

Stix
Mar-14-2016, 06:24
Stix,

Look at this new instructions - think more easy now.

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5374&p=55481#post55481

Do a video will be complicate and result length and I don't "spok'ingrish".

After ~50 test flights I am able to set the Course Setter without look at this dumb digital blue HUD, despite the lack of "Lubber Line" (http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9849&p=170539&viewfull=1#post170539) - HOW IN THE WORLD A 3D MODELLER FORGET THIS IMPORTANT DETAIL ON P-8? :D
How set "Red on Red"* without this? :-P

PS - Don't find any evidence on P-8 of this the second red of "Red on Red" motto, think that original phrase are "Needle on Red" but as English man talk with a potato under the tongue, someone got it wrong and write. :-)

Thanks appreciated.

I can't afford track ir right now, (not a lack of want or investment option) its about $350 to buy here (and about half that in the US).
Since my original post where I was using the mouse to look and the hat, now I found a no cost alternative (based on edtracker idea). I have my cellphone on my hat (its light phone and not noticed) and use its mems sensor to give me 3dof, a setup to give edtracker results (using opentrack and freePieUDP tracker) works pretty well and cost me nothing to do) I can flick it on and off in game with hot keys and use the mouse when needed.

I know how to use the compass and I do use it. Its just not ideal because the game was really build around 6dof and trackir 4+. (Other games have IMHO much better setup than COD does for camera/view tracking, (Rise of flight does this better (easy to setup and more configurable), and ROF also has better joystick setup as you can do curves, which you can't in COD) This issue re: viewing ability is a limit of COD config and method of doing views, and has nothing to do with realism.
To get around COD joystick curves limitation I use JoyCurves as my joystick has no option for this (http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6497
If you set the compass/gryro on the ground your rarely need to play with it again. (and you can navigate pretty well visually once you know the map)
So all good (for me) now, its possible to mess around and make it work, (its just a bit more stuffing around than most would like to do)

Stix :-)

PS. Another limit with COD views is PAN (yaw movement) with mouse is very slow compared to head trackings very fast yaw movements (no setting speeds this up) its a limit of the game.
Another reason I had to go the trackir (alternative in my case ) route, as it was effecting the speed I could rotate my view (and that can get you killed)

Stix
Mar-14-2016, 07:22
***edit***

I missed that part that you didn't had something like ir-tracking.Maybe something like a tool named virtual cockpit can help you.With this tool you can dispay your cocpitinstruments on second monitor or even on a tablet/smartphone.
http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/Downloads.php?do=download&downloadid=38

Thanks Stormrider.

I already looked at that and tried to get it working, (it doesn't) and I could find no docs on how to use it.

Stix

1lokos
Mar-14-2016, 08:24
I already looked at that and tried to get it working, (it doesn't) and I could find no docs on how to use it.

But set Virtual Cockpit (Devicelink) is very easy - at least for second monitor. Take a look:

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3887&p=131981&viewfull=1#post131981
http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3887&p=220616&viewfull=1#post220616

Stix
Mar-14-2016, 20:43
But set Virtual Cockpit (Devicelink) is very easy - at least for second monitor. Take a look:

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3887&p=131981&viewfull=1#post131981
http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3887&p=220616&viewfull=1#post220616

Hey thanks 1lokos, that is the info needed Actual instructions on how it works :-)

I'll have to plug in my old 22 monitor and test it...
I like realism as much as possible, but this could work as a compass workaround...

PS
Tried this and works :-)
Here is a better link to the software, includes more cockpits (than the one in these posts)

Blitzen
Jul-13-2016, 15:09
I have been frustrated with thw problem for years,hopefully this will solve it.
BTW I use my hat switch for aircraft functions not view change ( I have TrckIR) ...this won't screw any of this up will it?:recon:

Tailgunn3r
Sep-25-2016, 10:27
Hello Sokol! I tried to use NewView with CloD to look clearly through Bf 109 aim with these coordinates(X-axis "-690" Y-axis "-700" Z-axis "20") and also XY axis camera translation. But I use mouse to rotate camera, so it just simply resets to default all movements in XY, even if I hold needed buttons of view. Did u know about this issue and may be know its desicion?

1lokos
Sep-25-2016, 13:04
I don't know...

NewView was created - for IL-2:46 as improvement for this poor "HAT" view system, only fixed SNAP and fixed angle PAN movements, adding incremental PAN.

NewView was partially adapted for CLoD, but due the uninteresting of Russian players in this game (for know reasons) was abandoned by his creator. Work "as is".

So if you plan use NewView, but too the cumberstome "mouse view" maybe they conflict...

Try use only "mouse view" moving the POV in Bf109 for right, press and hold the key/button for "Adjust POV" or something similar (look in Camera) and set the gunsight position, so you have look through gunsight without use Shfit+F1 and his restrict angle.

But, you can't use the key/button for "Reset camera" for obvious reason, remove this assigned key/button.

Tailgunn3r
Sep-29-2016, 14:06
I don't know...

NewView was created - for IL-2:46 as improvement for this poor "HAT" view system, only fixed SNAP and fixed angle PAN movements, adding incremental PAN.

NewView was partially adapted for CLoD, but due the uninteresting of Russian players in this game (for know reasons) was abandoned by his creator. Work "as is".

So if you plan use NewView, but too the cumberstome "mouse view" maybe they conflict...

Try use only "mouse view" moving the POV in Bf109 for right, press and hold the key/button for "Adjust POV" or something similar (look in Camera) and set the gunsight position, so you have look through gunsight without use Shfit+F1 and his restrict angle.

But, you can't use the key/button for "Reset camera" for obvious reason, remove this assigned key/button.

Thx for reply and nice idea! I tried it but still need center only rotation camera button, it also resets XY translation coordinates of course. So it is more simple to use Shift+F1.

Hurricane
Mar-17-2017, 14:25
This horse is dead. I'm not going to beat it anymore. :sleep:

I am really rubbish at CLOD, not flying so much now but navigation and knowing where the Blue Meanies are.

BUT i certainly do not want any artificial, non prototypical aids to make my time in CLOD easier.

I will just go on being rubbish until i either improve vastly or give the sim up and delete it.

Best regards, :salute:
Mike.

1lokos
Mar-17-2017, 15:40
May should be need delete this info window:

https://s28.postimg.org/9lkr3se99/image.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/j64dqo3l5/)free image upload (https://postimage.org/)

Because is a "artificial, non prototypical aids to make time in CLOD easier" completely out of place in CFS WWII planes cockpit. :thumbsup:

ATAG_Highseas
Mar-17-2017, 15:57
I am really rubbish at CLOD, not flying so much now but navigation and knowing where the Blue Meanies are.

BUT i certainly do not want any artificial, non prototypical aids to make my time in CLOD easier.

I will just go on being rubbish until i either improve vastly or give the sim up and delete it.

Mike.

Frustration with being "rubbish" is very common.

When I get combat fatigued / disenchanted I just take off and go for a tour. and enjoy the parts of this that get swamped by combat duty.

It's not all about kills.

speaking of which... Highseas Tour V is probably due about now. I might make a post in a day or two.

ATAG_Laser
Mar-17-2017, 16:25

When I get combat fatigued / disenchanted I just take off and go for a tour. and enjoy the parts of this that get swamped by combat duty.

speaking of which... Highseas Tour V is probably due about now. I might make a post in a day or two.

Highseas Tour V eh? :stunned:

I always look forward to these tours, and I eagerly await details of the next one :thumbsup:

Hurricane
Mar-17-2017, 18:37

I never even try to enter into combat Seas. I just go on the A&A server and fly around.

Sometimes i get shot down, other times i crash on attempting to land. :D:D

You cannot make a silk purse out of a sows ear, buddy. :)

Mike.

Hurricane
Mar-17-2017, 18:40
May should be need delete this info window:

https://s28.postimg.org/9lkr3se99/image.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/j64dqo3l5/)free image upload (https://postimage.org/)

Because is a "artificial, non prototypical aids to make time in CLOD easier" completely out of place in CFS WWII planes cockpit. :thumbsup:

I don't get that info in game, buddy. :doh: :D

Mike.

ATAG_Vampire
Mar-18-2017, 04:14

Another tour sounds good.

I have enjoyed all the others so much and totally agree that there is so much more to CloD that is easily missed.

Awaiting your post on Highseas Tour V, Sir! :thumbsup:

o7 :salute:

ATAG_Pattle
Mar-18-2017, 05:10
Hey Hurricane,

Easiest way I can help here re directions, is have a good idea which way is NSEW, not perfect just a good guess and that will do you.

When I started my directional thinking was really bad. Where I come from mate, the coast is north south. Simple as. To get me head around a coast that was pretty much East West - WT..!

It took a while, and I am still getting used to it.

Head up mate, the rewards come with perseverance, work out what you want to get out of it, what is reasonable to achieve, and aim for that. Everyone has different skills sets and an idea what makes CloD enjoyable for them.

Some like shooting at others, others like bombing, the real cool ones like bombing others that want to shoot them down. That whole concept makes me laugh, yet for those that do it, incredibly effective.

I am one of the former. I fly mostly red, but am trying to get better at blue. My goal is to get the same amount of kills on boths sides. I have a long way to go, as I am dreadful when at a disadvantage in a 109 - very little idea. That's ok, it's all about the fun and learning. :-)

Pattle:salute:

Hurricane
Mar-18-2017, 07:45
Hey Hurricane,

Easiest way I can help here re directions, is have a good idea which way is NSEW, not perfect just a good guess and that will do you.

When I started my directional thinking was really bad. Where I come from mate, the coast is north south. Simple as. To get me head around a coast that was pretty much East West - WT..!

It took a while, and I am still getting used to it.

Head up mate, the rewards come with perseverance, work out what you want to get out of it, what is reasonable to achieve, and aim for that. Everyone has different skills sets and an idea what makes CloD enjoyable for them.

Some like shooting at others, others like bombing, the real cool ones like bombing others that want to shoot them down. That whole concept makes me laugh, yet for those that do it, incredibly effective.

I am one of the former. I fly mostly red, but am trying to get better at blue. My goal is to get the same amount of kills on boths sides. I have a long way to go, as I am dreadful when at a disadvantage in a 109 - very little idea. That's ok, it's all about the fun and learning. :-)

Pattle:salute:

Hi Pattle,

i am fine with your general NSEW points thank you buddy. :thumbsup: What i don't get is all this having to calculate that magnetic north is something but true north is something else.

Then you have to add 10 degrees when setting up your course after fiddling with the P8 compass, which as you probably know the Hurricane doesn't have anyway. :D

So in the Hurricane, you set the gyro, but after turning and climbing\diving it is useless anyway.

I switched to flying the Blenheim for a week, so i could ignore trying to catch up with the dogfighting, which always seems to be over by the time i get there. :)

Just concentrate on trying to get to a target, bomb it and try and get home. WOW is that hard work, with all the info on how to high level bomb with accuracy, on top of the direction finding.

Please don't get me wrong i am not complaining, i fly around day after day on my own on the Allied & Axis server.

Just don't ask me to do anything meaningful in the mission. roflmao

Massive respect and admiration to the boys that did this for real from 1939 onwards. :salute::salute::salute:

I tried the 109 Pattel, heck what a beast. Worse than the Hurri and the Spit on the ground, i never even got to take off. LOL

EDIT: Just been looking at Chuck's superb guide to CLOD, manual. Talking out of my rear end again. The Hurri does have a P8 compass, but i can honestly say i have never noticed it in the actual cockpit. :hide:

Best regards buddy, :salute:
Mike.

farley
Mar-18-2017, 09:28
Have to admit to not reading much of this thread at all, and i know this is a pretty lame suggestion, but I'll give it anyway.

Prior to take off i look at the sun, and see where it is in the sky. It's usually close to dead east, but can vary by probably 20 degrees in each direction on different maps because of the time of day, and probably changes depending on how long you have been flying.

I use that as a rough guide to find my way around, as well as, of course, glancing at my compass. Over time i have found that i can get fairly close to the direction (+/_ 10 degrees maybe?) i want to go by knowing where the sun is.
It probably helps that i was a Canada Goose in my last lifetime.......

(Disclaimer: I don't claim this to be an actual photo of me, but i think it might be)

I don't bother with the gyro at all because it goes out of whack so easily.

Aaron88
Mar-18-2017, 09:57
Brilliant!

SD_MBen
Dec-22-2017, 00:07
Hi,
I have done exactly as in the ReadMe but I still get "Add .DDL to Registry" as greyed out!

What am I doing wrong?
Many thanks if you can help!
SD_MBen

rel4y
Dec-22-2017, 08:10
New View uses a 32 bit DLL, while the game itself now being 64 bit. NewView is curently not compatible, but some community members contacted the coder and it may be reworked.

https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27513&highlight=newview

SD_MBen
Dec-22-2017, 11:17
New View uses a 32 bit DLL, while the game itself now being 64 bit. NewView is curently not compatible, but some community members contacted the coder and it may be reworked.

https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27513&highlight=newview
Sorry I should have said, I am running 4.312!
Ben

1lokos
Dec-22-2017, 11:25
NewView work OK in 4.312 - I check at few days ago.*

If "Add DLL to register" is grayed out generally is because this was already done, or maybe the NPClient.DLL is not in NewView folder.

EDIT

FYI - NewView don't work with BLITZ (4.50), because is an 32 bits software.

Tumbler
Jan-14-2018, 08:13
NewView work OK in 4.312 - I check at few days ago.*

If "Add DLL to register" is grayed out generally is because this was already done, or maybe the NPClient.DLL is not in NewView folder.

EDIT

FYI - NewView don't work with BLITZ (4.50), because is an 32 bits software.

Bummer, than how do I get a look at the compass? My trackhat is not yet there so I'm stuck with my T.16000M and keyboard for now.

1lokos
Jan-14-2018, 08:40
Try with Joy2Key (or Xpadder), is possible create a cumbersome "compass view" on joy button combining default "snap view" + camera FOV - work OK for Spit, not so much for Hurri (this plane require a "snap view" for different coordinates what is possible only with NewView).

https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26076

Tumbler
Jan-14-2018, 09:32
Try with Joy2Key (or Xpadder), is possible create a cumbersome "compass view" on joy button combining default "snap view" + camera FOV - work OK for Spit, not so much for Hurri (this plane require a "snap view" for different coordinates what is possible only with NewView).

https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26076
Thanks for the quick reply, it kinda works. Although bringing my compass into view (holding scroll wheel, right button and moving around a bit) is not really easy.

Edit: found the reset view buttons as well after I completely messed up my views , numpad 5 and /

Hobomaniac
Jul-08-2018, 13:50
Hello everybody,
Is it still possible to download NewView 3.7 somewhere?
The link from the first page doesn't work. And I can't find it on the net.

1lokos
Jul-09-2018, 08:44
Hobomaniac

With upgrade of CloD engine for 64 bits (4.50 "Blitz" patch) NewView - a 32 bits software, is no longer compatible.

Hobomaniac
Jul-09-2018, 18:47
Yes I know, but I'm still on 4.312 as I play Single Player a lot.
I try to finish my disastersoft campaigns as well.

ATAG_Ribbs
Jul-10-2018, 06:42
Do the disaster soft campaigns not work with 4.53? I know it solved alot of AI crashing on takeoff and landing..which would be beneficial in SP I would think..haha

Blitzen
Jul-11-2018, 11:43
Do the disaster soft campaigns not work with 4.53? I know it solved alot of AI crashing on takeoff and landing..which would be beneficial in SP I would think..haha

No they do not.As far as I can tell they are not ( nor will they be,) compatible with the new upgrade(s.):ind:

1lokos
Jul-11-2018, 13:26

4.53 don't change AI routines for take-off and landings. An workaround lowering iddle RPM was used for avoid that planes like Blenheim AI overun runway when landing.

Hobomaniac

In Hruks (NewView autor) DropBox still available some versions.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tovv0cunvk5871y/AAAwj-ymxF4hAQTkTb8cwyAma?dl=0

The last I use is 3.7m plus fix 1 and 2.

DIT - FYI: Desastersoft campaigns is combabible with 4.53 - but require a fix (for Desastersoft DLL) available here in ATAG.