PDA

View Full Version : A stretch... but thoughts on the Br.20

AKA_Recon
Sep-05-2013, 06:42
Was curious of the opinion of switching the Br.20 to be used by the Allies as a flyable replacement for the Wellington on the ATAG server missions ?

I'd like to fly and do level bombing and still fly on the Allied side. Axis have the Ju88/He111 flyable as well as the Stuka and bf110.

Of course I say this without ever flying the Br.20, maybe it can't level bomb but I wanted to inquire to see what others think. I know it's not a purist ideal setup, but maybe throw us a bone :)

Roblex
Sep-05-2013, 07:04
It is actually quite a handful to fly.It needs constant adjustments to stop the engines blowing up. It is also not terribly good at level bombing. They do have a big bombload.

In the SOW servers they used them as Wellingtons in the recent Battle Of France campaign but they were not very effective. I doubt players in the general ATAG servers would accept an Italian bomber used by the RAF as it is not authentic..

AKA_Recon
Sep-05-2013, 07:40
Well, it might end up being the most 'authentic' empty server and kill off more interest in the game, because the current state of bombing in this sim is dismal at best :(

I flew with a group of pilots that did level bombing in IL2:1946, I can't get any of them interested in flying Allied bombers in Cliffs of Dover - there are no options. It's a shame to me that Cliffs of Dover is so bad in this area - things like no level stabilizers, etc... - no head movement to see targets with Blen level sights, etc...

ATAG_Keller says the He111 works, I've watched some videos on it, etc.. and has been kind to offer to help, but I fly mostly Allied (heck, if AKA went to German side in North American timezone it would be like 15 vs. 5 every night on the ATAG server) - so I am looking for an alternative to having to fly against my own squad mates.

Interesting on SOW - They probably aren't going to be very effective also because no one is really flying them - I've never seen a German pilot fly it when we fly, hence my topic, if it's a flyable bomber that no one tries, at least let the guys willing to work on it use it for Allied :)

I'm just trying to get some more interest, I know asking this will be an uphill conversation but I guess before I give up flying I'd least express why and see if anyone cares about it :)

92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)
Sep-05-2013, 08:17
I'm just trying to get some more interest, I know asking this will be an uphill conversation but I guess before I give up flying I'd least express why and see if anyone cares about it :)

Don't worry, almost everyone cares about this issue, it has been discussed many times. Tf and others are aware of the need to do something about the lack of medium bombing capability on the Allied side.

Unfortunately the BR.20 is not suitable solution (for control and historical reasons).. but solutions are being worked on, it's just a matter of waiting.

Roblex
Sep-05-2013, 08:48
I don't have any inside knowledge but I am pretty sure TF have admitted the Wellington is in the pipeline for the release after this one or maybe the one after. I think they also said they want to look at the Beaufighter as a possible release one day.

Like you, I like using heavies but they will never be the pinpoint bombers you got in IL2 and will not have 'auto-level' unless the real one did. Still, if they have auto-pilot and the ability for the bomb-aimer to make small corrections it will still be useable, especially if they alter the targets to be more friendly to carpet bombing and 'tonnage on target' as in the current 'Boden Platte' mission. I also like going in fast and hard so the Beaufighter will be nice if I can't have a mossie, and probably more effective against ships and ground targets.

AKA_Recon
Sep-05-2013, 08:52
thanks for feedback both of you

EG14_Marcast
Sep-05-2013, 09:15
Don't worry, almost everyone cares about this issue, it has been discussed many times. Tf and others are aware of the need to do something about the lack of medium bombing capability on the Allied side.

It could also be nice to have a fighter bomber version of the Hurricane, I think it was the Mk II...

Roblex
Sep-05-2013, 13:11
It could also be nice to have a fighter bomber version of the Hurricane, I think it was the Mk II...

Unfortunately we did not put bombs on hurris & spits until a few years later. Mind you, the bomber version of the 109 was pretty rare in the Battle Of Britain :-)

AKA_Recon
Sep-09-2013, 14:19
Some thoughts from the weekend:

1. I know at some point in time there could be new aircraft. But who knows when that would be. That doesn't really help for now. And when we get more, then we can sub the Br.20 back out again.

2. It's just as unrealistic to only have a Blenheim as it is to sub the Br.20 in for a Wellington.

That all said, it could be a mute point, as I haven't flow the Br.20 - I haven't tried it's level bombing. Is it at all like the He111 ?

Bear Pilot
Sep-09-2013, 15:12
No, the bomb sight is similar to the Blenheim's. Although it does have aileron trim and so level flight is easier to achieve than in the Blenheim.

1lokos
Sep-09-2013, 16:06
I dont see problems in use Br.20 as "British" if need.

But is a difficult plane do fly - engines need care all time.

The bombsight offer a beter target visibility than Blenheim, although work in same way, but it's use is limited to ~3.000 meters due objects pop-up.

I think that eventual flyable Wellington use Wimperis bombsight in the same way of Blenheim, so the same problems...

In my il-2 squadron have some guys that enjoy level bomber - but due bad habits with 1946 "gameply facilities", the refuse play
bombers in CloD because dont have auto-level, dont can zoom in target in Blenheim, no "bombs away" message, no
"target destroyed" messages, etc... :stunned:

Sokol1

AKA_Recon
Sep-09-2013, 17:53
I dont see problems in use Br.20 as "British" if need.

But is a difficult plane do fly - engines need care all time.

The bombsight offer a beter target visibility than Blenheim, although work in same way, but it's use is limited to ~3.000 meters due objects pop-up.

I think that eventual flyable Wellington use Wimperis bombsight in the same way of Blenheim, so the same problems...

In my il-2 squadron have some guys that enjoy level bomber - but due bad habits with 1946 "gameply facilities", the refuse play
bombers in CloD because dont have auto-level, dont can zoom in target in Blenheim, no "bombs away" message, no
"target destroyed" messages, etc... :stunned:

Sokol1

Yes - and I'd take difficult to fly over nothing :)

I agree it's a tough step forward , but I would also say finding information on how to fly it is adding to the complexity!

Videos are IMO best way to learn + checklists.

Personally I enjoy the challenge.

So who is in charge of updating missions on ATAG server ?