PDA

View Full Version : Spitfire: A great plane to die in?

Anjelus
Sep-06-2013, 18:52
Hullo,

I'm doing a perma-death run through IL2 CoD's RAF campaign and just passed mission 9 where you take the Spitfire out for a test flight. This is my first time flying a Spitfire in CoD. All settings are full real and I'm using a TrackIR + X52 hotas setup.

My observations after days of flying only Hurricanes:

1) The Spitfire is jumpy as all hell. Felt like I was going to crash on take off.

2) During flight, I need to apply almost constant right rudder to counteract the aircraft's tendency to roll left. What in the world is up with this?

3) The engine management guide I d/led from this site recommends fine pitch below 2000 feet and course pitch for climbing, level flight, combat, etc. But unless I'm doing something horribly wrong, which is possible, I find I can hardly operate the machine at course pitch. She slows down way too much.

4) Tips for banking/hard breaking to get rid of the hypothetical 109s on my six? I noticed I need to put some rudder into it, but too much and she spins out immediately, too little and she doesn't turn fast enough.

Is there something I can read to help me out as I learn to fly this thing? I'm trying not to die here :-P

Dutch
Sep-06-2013, 19:03
Is there something I can read to help me out as I learn to fly this thing?

I recommend 'First Light' by Geoffrey Wellum. :D

It's just practice, that's all. In coarse pitch you don't slow down, the engine just revs a lot lower. Like in your car, you don't stay in first gear with the rev counter on the redline when driving at 40mph, you change up and you're still doing 40mph, but the engine revs lower.

Roblex
Sep-07-2013, 03:47
Coarse pitch is used for take-off, steep climb and combat but will stress your engine when used with max throttle for more than 5 minutes. It is also used when landing as it helps slow you down and gives you finer control of your speed. Think about how when you lift your foot off the accelerator in you car in 5th gear it does not slow much and wont accelerate very fast but do the same in third, or even fourth, and it slows down much faster and also speeds up faster which is why coarse pitch is better during combat (not boom & zoom). I am not sure what manual tells you to use it for level flight as that does not make sense.

Just imagine coarse pitch is third gear and your car has a special clutch that wont let the engine bog down & stall so you can pull away in third but initially it will take a while to get moving then it accelerate well and climb hills well. Fine pitch is 5th gear, not very good for accelerating but will let you go faster and not strain your engine.

I can't say I have had serious problems with applying rudder constantly, once in steady flight you just trim the rudder to centralise the needle and it is fine. Properly trimmed at cruise speed it flies hands-off.

92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)
Sep-07-2013, 04:02
Coarse pitch is used for take-off, steep climb and combat but will stress your engine when used with max throttle for more than 5 minutes. .

I think you mean "fine" pitch.

92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)
Sep-07-2013, 04:10
1) The Spitfire is jumpy as all hell. Felt like I was going to crash on take off.
She is a little bit more frisky than the hurricane.
Fine pitch. Open the radiator.
Apply full throttle.
Use a solid kick of rudder to keep her lined up.
Hold the nose level with the horizon and gentle squeeze nose up at 80mph or more.
You only need to raise the nose so that the top of the engine cowling is on the horizon, don't yank it up in the air.

Trim before take off if you like. My trim is assigned to a button (not a slider) I sometimes use 4 trims back on the elevator and 5 trims right on the rudder before my take off roll.

2) During flight, I need to apply almost constant right rudder to counteract the aircraft's tendency to roll left. What in the world is up with this?
Trim the rudder every time your airspeed changes.
The act of trimming itself will result in increased airspeed, requiring further trimming. do this.
Keep the slip indicator in the middle at all times.

Trim, trim, trim, and then, if in doubt, trim.

3) The engine management guide I d/led from this site recommends fine pitch below 2000 feet and course pitch for climbing, level flight, combat, etc. But unless I'm doing something horribly wrong, which is possible, I find I can hardly operate the machine at course pitch. She slows down way too much.

Once you are airborne and stable, pull the prop pitch (provided you are in a 1a or 2a) back a bit (to 2700 rpm)
You can run 2700 rpm all day in the spits in this game.
Over time you'll work out your best settgins.

4) Tips for banking/hard breaking to get rid of the hypothetical 109s on my six? I noticed I need to put some rudder into it, but too much and she spins out immediately, too little and she doesn't turn fast enough.

1. Don't break too hard and rank. You'll flick into a spin
2. Be gentle, roll in and slide back on the elevator. You only need rudder to keep the ball in the centre (turn and slip indicator). If you're in a balanced turn, then there's no need for additional rudder
3. Be gentle, once in the turn you should steadily increase the elevator just like you do with the throttle on take off.

The most important aspect of the defensive turn is spotting the enemy. If you see him too late, you are more likely to snatch at the controls in a panic and flick into spin. So be gentle.

Smooth and Gentle
Treat her good and she will win fights for you.