PDA

View Full Version : Possible Stretch Goal Change

Chivas
Sep-10-2013, 03:47
Quote from Luthier on the DCS forums

"I'm starting to think we might need to shuffle things about a little bit.

We'll try to change the immediate next stretch goal, and make it a flyable B-17 and British airfields. Move all other stretch goal aircraft one tier up.

We'll talk this over and have a decision for you within a day or two.

Also going to work on adding some more attractive backer rewards."

Chivas
Sep-10-2013, 03:49
Not having some British ports and coastal airfields would be a mistake, so I like the fact they are reconsidering their stretch goals.

A flyable B17 will certainly entertain a lot of our bomber pilots, including myself, although I prefer flying a Ju88 at treetop level.

I've also seen some DCS aircraft carrier screenshots with very realistic looking water/wakes in the new EDGE graphic engine. I wonder how hard it would be to convert the coding/graphics of some of those modern destroyers to represent WW2 type ships.

D Day anyone in a few years.

Skoshi_Tiger
Sep-10-2013, 04:21
Although a B-17 would be cool, I was actually looking forward to the flyable A-26 Invader as an interim step.

Would flying a four engine heavy with the DCS complexity and procedures actually be possible (or enjoyable for that matter) for a single pilot? I know they are talking about having a number of players flying in the same plane, but I expect it would difficult to crew a B17 on a regular basis.

I guess if they have a competent AI Co-pilot it would help.

MadTommy
Sep-10-2013, 04:44
Not having some British ports and coastal airfields would be a mistake, so I like the fact they are reconsidering their stretch goals.

i agree.. would be rather disappointed not to have Brit airfields.

baronWastelan
Sep-12-2013, 00:09
Although a B-17 would be cool, I was actually looking forward to the flyable A-26 Invader as an interim step.

Would flying a four engine heavy with the DCS complexity and procedures actually be possible (or enjoyable for that matter) for a single pilot? I know they are talking about having a number of players flying in the same plane, but I expect it would difficult to crew a B17 on a regular basis.

For anyone who enjoys the Blenheim mk IV in Cliffs of Dover: Yes. Starting B-17's engines takes a bit longer, but flying is not too much more work, with the bonus of having all the important gauges in front of you. Having an AI Flight Engineer (and bombardier, and navigator) would be brilliant!

airdoc
Sep-12-2013, 11:13

Hi Tiger,

You really don't need a copilot, a bombardier, a navigator or an engineer, in order to fly the B17, even in reality. Essentially one pilot can fly this baby alone. All the extras are for safety reasons and for dealing with unexpected circumstances/flak damage/engine failures reducing the workload of the crew. Agreed the navigator and bombardier were absolutely indispensible in reality, but in a sim you can do without them.
The second pilot is mainly adjunctive, overseeing, and taking over when the captain is tired (consider those 8 hour missions to Berlin and back), wounded or in unusual occasions (such as to add extra force to the yoke if the plane is hit and flying with abnormal features. During the bomb run, the pilot hands over the control of the airplane to the bombardier (through a sophisticated autopilot-like feature for WW2 standards) for a while and then resumes command.

Essentially all the engine management, flying, and bomb runs can be made by one person in a sim. Workload would be much less copious than flying the 747 in FSX.

This is a military training film for the B17 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fdc8MJHB0Cc

ATAG_Snapper
Sep-12-2013, 11:18
Quote from Luthier on the DCS forums

"I'm starting to think we might need to shuffle things about a little bit.

We'll try to change the immediate next stretch goal, and make it a flyable B-17 and British airfields. Move all other stretch goal aircraft one tier up.

We'll talk this over and have a decision for you within a day or two.

Also going to work on adding some more attractive backer rewards."

Smart move, IMHO. They seem to be listening. This will grab a good chunk of the U.S. market. Imagine if they threw in an Avro Lancaster! LOL (Hey, we can dream, right? :D )

Archie
Sep-12-2013, 15:42
Stretch goals and backer rewards are being changed as we speak. Flyable B17 and Southern England for $375k!

kopperdrake
Sep-13-2013, 05:04
Imagine if they threw in an Avro Lancaster! LOL (Hey, we can dream, right? :D )

Ye gads, don't make me dribble!