PDA

View Full Version : Updated Pledge Options

Chuck_Owl
Sep-12-2013, 23:39
I thought Ilya's explanation chart was hard to read, so I revamped it a little bit to become clearer. If there's anything wrong, please let me know and I'll make the necessary corrections. Enjoy!

DCS WWII Standard Edition

DCS WWII World Edition

DCS WWII Alpha Edition

DCS WORLD GRAPH

AKA_Recon
Sep-12-2013, 23:49
Nice, so what in the world is the difference. ie. what is DCS World and DCS World Alpha mean - is this like the new EDGE engine of DCS World ?

I thought DCS World was just like the 'container' for all the other mods ?

Anyone knowledgable let me know, as I plan on upgrading my pledge but want to understand better what I'm giving :)

Chuck_Owl
Sep-13-2013, 00:12
Nice, so what in the world is the difference. ie. what is DCS World and DCS World Alpha mean - is this like the new EDGE engine of DCS World ?

I thought DCS World was just like the 'container' for all the other mods ?

Anyone knowledgable let me know, as I plan on upgrading my pledge but want to understand better what I'm giving :)

If I understood correctly (I'm not 100 % sure), DCS World currently contains every aircraft in the DCS franchise. A-10C Warthog, Ka-50 Black Shark, North American P-51D Mustang, all 3rd party add-ons (Mig-21bis, UH-1H Huey, Hawk, Buckeye, F-18, F-15, etc...).

DCS WW2 is a whole new game by itself. It will use the EDGE engine (which will be the next iteration of the DCS World engine in an upcoming mega-patch for DCS World), and each aircraft module developped by RRG Studios will be a DCS WWII module of its own. However: two particular aircraft modules are directly imported from DCS World into DCS WWII because they are already released (P-51D) or currently in development phase (FW 190-D) in DCS World. It wouldn't make much sense for RRG studios to re-make a plane that is already perfectly playable in DCS World, wouldn't it?

Hence, because the FW 190-D will probably be released before DCS WWII is completed, Luthier proposes the following deal:
1) DCS WWII "World" Edition will allow you to buy (for what I imagine is a discounted price) the FW-190 and/or the P-51D module in the DCS WW2 game. The incentive of this edition is that these aircrafts will ALSO be available to you in DCS World (probably via CD Keys sent by e-mail). So, you don't have to buy the same module twice at full price in order to play it both in the DCS World and DCS WW2 universes.
2) DCS WWII "World" Edition will allow you to participate in the FW 190-D Beta once it releases in DCS World.

Old_Canuck
Sep-13-2013, 00:22
Difference between DCS World and "modules" follows:

DCS World (download version)

"Digital Combat Simulator World (DCS World) is a free, unified interface for all DCS products; you can think of DCS World as a simulation operating system. DCS modules that can plug into DCS World can include aircraft, maps, ground units, campaigns, etc. Not only can DCS World include modules developed internally by Eagle Dynamics, but it can also include those by certified third party developers.

DCS World not only includes the Graphical User Interface (GUI) that ties all DCS products together in a single installation, but it also includes the global aspects of the simulation world that pertains to all modules. This includes such items such as the Artificial Intelligence (AI), rendering system, mission editor, effects, AI units, semi-dynamic campaign system, and audio environment.

When a user purchases a DCS module, the module only includes content specific to that module. Thus, it requires DCS World to run."

Source:

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/world/dcs_world/

Hope this helps.

ATAG_Naz
Sep-13-2013, 02:07
Apologies for being a lazy so and so for not figuring this out myself, but I am a tad confused now. I did the $100 pledge in the original offer...so am I getting more or less or the same for my initial outlay now? ... Do I have to do anything to change the pledge? Do I have to chose one of the three new categories now? ... why do things have to be made more complicated than they need to be? My head hurts.

Roblex
Sep-13-2013, 02:24
Sorry. Still not getting your banter Squiffy. The Kickstarter blurb told us that all aircraft in WWII (which I presume is 'standard') are compatible with 'World' and vice versa so why are we talking about a 'world' edition? Recon asked what the difference was between Standard, World & Alpha editions and Chuck_Owl gave an explanation of what 'World' was so I am still confused about how that differs from 'Standard' & 'Alpha'

Vlerkies
Sep-13-2013, 02:26
It's all as clear as mud :(

So, if someone has -pledged over $200 already do they get pretty much everything from the game/versions/access point of view?

Chuck_Owl
Sep-13-2013, 02:29
Original pledges are not included in this chart. I suppose the way to read it is:

For 100$ or more
135 backers (Limited (8 left of 143)
Everything at the $40 level, plus a hard copy of the game's air combat strategy and tactics manual, and spiral-bound copies of complete aircraft manuals for two flyable aircrafts in the game.

So, take the Standard Edition, go to the 40$ level. You have this stuff. Include what is in the 100$ pledge you just read. That's it.

If the Pledge is specified "DCS World Tier X", see the lower "DCS World Tier" indicated and do the same procedure. Same for "Alpha Tiers". If a there is no "lower tier" in the same category to speak of, you probably have the lower tier in the "Standard" edition.

Archie
Sep-13-2013, 02:30
Upped my pledge now! To think we could be playing the alpha in February!

Chuck_Owl
Sep-13-2013, 02:43
Sorry. Still not getting your banter Squiffy. The Kickstarter blurb told us that all aircraft in WWII (which I presume is 'standard') are compatible with 'World' and vice versa so why are we talking about a 'world' edition? Recon asked what the difference was between Standard, World & Alpha editions and Chuck_Owl gave an explanation of what 'World' was so I am still confused about how that differs from 'Standard' & 'Alpha'

You are right: Ilya said that all DCS WW2 modules will be compatible with DCS World.

However: the P-51D and FW 190-D modules were developped in DCS World first. They are DCS World products. Right now, I can fly the P-51D Mustang in DCS World and I guess I'll soon be flying the FW 190-D in DCS World as well when the Beta comes out. RRG Studios simply import the P-51D and the FW 190-D into DCS WWII to include it into their mission set-up as they have formed a partnership with DCS. So... more planes = more fun.

So, the DCS WW2 "World" version simply allows you to buy the P-51D and the FW-190D if you haven't already done so. In theory, you could just buy both aircraft modules from the Eagle Dynamics store. But then, the money will not go to the kickstarter, and I'm gonna be a very sad panda...

Archie
Sep-13-2013, 03:04
But then, the money will not go to the kickstarter, and I'm gonna be a very sad panda...
:))

I think the whole DCS world set up is confusing to a lot of people, with modules etc. Its just another way of doing things, and seems to work well enough, especially with incorporating third party content.
Up them pledges boys, the future could be very bright indeed!

Roblex
Sep-13-2013, 03:07
i have re-read what they emailed to me. They seem to be saying that although the planes are cross-compatible you only have a license to fly them in one or the other so although you might be given the P51 & FW190 with WWII (assuming you pledged enough) you would not be allowed to then use them in 'World'

We are also adding DCS World licenses to kickstarter rewards. You will receive the P-51D and the FW.190D with DCS WWII; but if you select the appropriate reward, you will also receive those licenses for DCS World.

Alpha access is a reward you can choose that will allow you access to the Alpha testing. eg if you pledged $50 you can either have beta access+all aircraft+T-Shirt or swap the T-shirt for alpha access.

Vlerkies
Sep-13-2013, 08:22
Cheese and rice, this thing just got complicated before it even began:stunned:

Archie
Sep-13-2013, 08:28
I would guess that they assume a lot of people will already own the P51, and will buy the FW190 as soon as it is released.
My original assumption was that DCS WWII would be just another module in DCS world, but now I'm not so sure. Is it a module or a standalone?

Foul Ole Ron
Sep-13-2013, 09:15
DCS WW2 will be standalone but the planes from both DCS World and DCS WW2 will be fully compatible with each other. So if you want to drop an A10-C into a Normandy mission then fire away. Similarly if you want to drop a P47-D into the Caucasus then that should work fine too.

Dutch
Sep-13-2013, 09:24
I found all the new different pledge options a little confusing, so thx for this Chuck_Owl.

Having said that, I'm not at all bothered what I 'get' for my pledge. I just want them to get to their pledge targets. They can keep the manual, combat tactics book, tee-shirt if they want. Save the damned money for the B-17. And a lengthy training video. :D

Royraiden
Sep-13-2013, 09:55
After seeing the charts I have to say : great job as it is really helpful.

On the other hand I sitll dont understand why some people say that you get the 3 flyables for free.You get 1 for pledging $20,2 for $30 and 3+*for $40 or more depending on the stretch goals.

56RAF_klem
Sep-13-2013, 10:21
You'll need to read carefully Ilys'a release regarding the new backer options but it might help to understand the principle behind it which is to get you to up your backing or come in at a higher level than you would have done otherwise and in either case get extra reward. Note that a few original options are no longer available which may explain why there are some old options and some new options at the same backing level ($'s).

Basically it seems that if the kickstarter reaches target level then....
If you chose a DCSW option you will immediately get the appropriate DSC aircraft to go play with in the DCSWorld free downloadable sim.
If you chose an Alpha option you will get access to the Alpha Testing plus, if you backed high enough, immediate access to the appropriate DCS aircraft to go play with in the DCSWorld free downloadable sim.

A key incentive in most options is that you get to play, now, with a couple of the aircraft that will be in DCS WWII.

From earlier realease info you will be able to use them in both DCSW and DCSWWII, you won't have to buy them twice.

MadTommy
Sep-13-2013, 10:42
Well Luthier is doing his best to confuse us all!

I've upped my pledge.. but not really sure what the hell i'm getting! Might need to revisit the list again.

The $350k is looking hard to reach.. shame. Still looks promising for the $100k and that will be a great start.

Katdog5
Sep-13-2013, 10:47
Just pledged $100. See you Sept 2014

Chuck_Owl
Sep-14-2013, 00:52
In answer to those who still have difficulty understanding the difference between DCS World and DCS WWII clients, here it is, in post #1.

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5717&p=59284&viewfull=1#post59284

56RAF_klem
Sep-14-2013, 03:55
Just pledged $100. See you Sept 2014

I hope you chose the DCSW option, then you will get the P51D on KS success and eventually the FW190 and we can go practice in (free) DCSW as soon as KS succeeds.
:)

Roblex
Sep-14-2013, 04:12
OK, re DCS 'World' option, let's see if I have this right

Any aircraft that you are allowed to fly in DCS WWII you will also be allowed to fly in DCS World without paying anything extra (by 'allowed' I mean you paid for it or got as a pledge reward)

For things like the P47 and Spit etc. that won't be possible until DCS WWII has actually made them but the P51 is already available so what the DCS World pledge reward gives you is permission to fly it in DCS World while you wait for DCS WWII. Later that will also apply to the FW190.

It is like DCS World is a free park laid out as a modern map of the Caucasus with a nearby shop that sells R/C aircraft including a P51 and they will also give you a SU25 to use in the park but you can buy others
This new team are building a new park laid out as 1944 Europe and it will have its own shop making WW2 aircraft to use in their park and they will give you a P47, a Spit and a 109 to fly plus others you can pay for. Any planes you have you can take to the 'World' park and vice-versa and if you have paid the new guys in advance to have all the available aircraft and chosen the 'World' reward they will also give you a P51 that you can play with in the World park while you wait for the new park to be finished.

Is that correct?

OK, that still leaves me with a couple of questions. Can I really just walk into WWII park for free, get my free P47 and then go to DCS World park and fly it there without ever paying for anything? I suspect the 'free' aircraft might be restricted to just WWII park, or maybe transferable for a fee. If that is the case, will any aircraft given to you as a pledge reward also be restricted? The alternative would see DCS World flooded with WW2 fighters & bombers that only serve as adverts to entice players to go to WWII and give them money. Or perhaps that is not a problem as Eagle Dynamics is still getting the money for the aircraft, perhaps having to share some with its partners when they are WWII World aircraft.

Chuck_Owl
Sep-14-2013, 10:12
OK, re DCS 'World' option, let's see if I have this right

Any aircraft that you are allowed to fly in DCS WWII you will also be allowed to fly in DCS World without paying anything extra (by 'allowed' I mean you paid for it or got as a pledge reward)

For things like the P47 and Spit etc. that won't be possible until DCS WWII has actually made them but the P51 is already available so what the DCS World pledge reward gives you is permission to fly it in DCS World while you wait for DCS WWII. Later that will also apply to the FW190.

It is like DCS World is a free park laid out as a modern map of the Caucasus with a nearby shop that sells R/C aircraft including a P51 and they will also give you a SU25 to use in the park but you can buy others
This new team are building a new park laid out as 1944 Europe and it will have its own shop making WW2 aircraft to use in their park and they will give you a P47, a Spit and a 109 to fly plus others you can pay for. Any planes you have you can take to the 'World' park and vice-versa and if you have paid the new guys in advance to have all the available aircraft and chosen the 'World' reward they will also give you a P51 that you can play with in the World park while you wait for the new park to be finished.

Is that correct?

OK, that still leaves me with a couple of questions. Can I really just walk into WWII park for free, get my free P47 and then go to DCS World park and fly it there without ever paying for anything? I suspect the 'free' aircraft might be restricted to just WWII park, or maybe transferable for a fee. If that is the case, will any aircraft given to you as a pledge reward also be restricted? The alternative would see DCS World flooded with WW2 fighters & bombers that only serve as adverts to entice players to go to WWII and give them money. Or perhaps that is not a problem as Eagle Dynamics is still getting the money for the aircraft, perhaps having to share some with its partners when they are WWII World aircraft.

See "DCS World Graph" http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5717&p=59284&viewfull=1#post59284
DCS World is a free park, like you said. The only difference between DCS World and DCS WWII will be the single player missions and theatres (because it would just make DCS World too big and unmanageable for programmers if you were to include ALL the stuff from DCS WWII, which makes sense in a way).

Also, DCS WWII are all available to fly in DCS World. But DCS World aircrafts are not available in DCS WWII (except the P-51D and the Dora, which are already DCS World products).

ATAG_JTDawg
Sep-14-2013, 10:25
Apologies for being a lazy so and so for not figuring this out myself, but I am a tad confused now. I did the $100 pledge in the original offer...so am I getting more or less or the same for my initial outlay now? ... Do I have to do anything to change the pledge? Do I have to chose one of the three new categories now? ... why do things have to be made more complicated than they need to be? My head hurts.

From what I took from email was if you were at 100.00 they will still give you the 2 aircraft manuals of your choice an hard copy of tactics :thumbsup: