PDA

View Full Version : Question: DCS graphic engine

ATAG_Lolsav
Sep-23-2013, 10:50
Been toying around with DCS world, flying the frogfoot, the free version. I was pleased with the engine of the game, seems believable on the physics side.

As for the graphics, on ground details and such (since i know the free version of frogfoot is not high res), im a bit worried. The fps were not that spetacular, near the ground, getting a consistent 23-24 fps over major cities. But my worries dont end there. We are all used now to shiny aircrafts, and there is no HDR lighting as on most recent games. Take a look on P51 cockpit, its dull, too "plastic", in my opinion. I dont own it and my impressions come only from the videos i have seen. Maybe i get the wrong impression (hopefully).

In the end i wonder if someone can answer me on this: Will there be a new graphic engine for DCS WWII? Ive seen the videos of terrain and even if im aware of the early stage of the game, it seems a bit gray regarding the aspects i have been writting. A breath taking scenario makes the simulation more real, hence my concerns.

Can anyone enlight me towards the graphics?

Thank you

TheVino3
Sep-23-2013, 11:38
The DCS we play currently is very dull, yes. It is old though, I dont think its seen a major graphics update in...years.
DCS WW2 is using the new EDGE technology which we havent really seen yet, and the DCS WW2 screenshots that have been released show all their work before colour correction and bla bla bla bla bla technical stuff - but my point is, its going to look quite a bit better than the DCS we play now.

That being said, I think its still going to feel like DCS, and it will always have its graphical oddities and letdowns, but this is true of any game engine, itll just be a different look which some people will really love and some people wont find all that spectacular.

Its like how a lot of people rave and rave about War Thunder's graphics, but I personally think the only things they did well were terrain (which they nailed), and maybe clouds. Everything else in that game, to me, looks overdone and horrifically superficial. Thats one of the things that draws me to CloD: its graphics, to me, feel really meaty and real. They definitely have bugs and letdowns, but the whole feel is really extraordinarily realistic (especially in the coming patch wink wink :thumbsup: ).

Anyway, I think DCS WW2 will have some really great graphical features, and to be sure, there will be things that might not look so great, but its definitely going to be a vast improvement over the current DCS engine.

Mysticpuma
Sep-23-2013, 12:03
And the current DCS engine is highly moddable...if you know where to look and what to.do.with the files when you find them.

Cheers, MP