PDA

View Full Version : Radar?

EG14_Marcast
Sep-27-2013, 04:38
It seems to me to have heard people in mission talking about a "radar". Is there really a way to get warnings about incoming aircrafts, or is it just a misunderstanding from me?

Greywing
Sep-27-2013, 05:01
Pressing TAB in game brings up a radio menu with lots of options accessed using the numbers 1-9.

TAB then 7 then 1 will get you bearings to some incoming targets. Correct me if I'm wrong guys I haven't flown for weeks.

Cheers

GW

SoW Reddog
Sep-27-2013, 06:01
Greywing's correct, Tab-7-1 will give you a very basic radar direction. Broken into mission target, fighters and bombers, it will report the nearest contact of each type (how it determines mission target I have yet to figure out) in miles, and give you a bearing from your location to the target. Things to note are that the distance maxes out at 15miles, so it could say 15miles for anything OVER 15miles. The bearing is not a bearing off your current heading, but rather a true map bearing. (090 degrees is not off your right wing, but EAST!)

However, it will often be completely wrong, I've been shot down before now with the dialogue still on screen saying "Fighters 15miles"!!

There's also a much more advanced RDF script in operation in some Storm of War missions which operates on Tab-4-1 (iirc) which gives target heading, altitude, indication of number of aircraft and also an intercept course.

EG14_Marcast
Sep-27-2013, 09:26
Thanks, this is an useful thing

III./ZG76_Keller
Sep-27-2013, 11:41
Mission Target Bearing is the airfield you took off from.

Radar doesn't always give you the closest contact of either type, not sure how the game chooses which contact to tell you about.

SoW Reddog
Sep-27-2013, 11:42

Radar doesn't always give you the closest contact of either type, not sure how the game chooses which contact to tell you about.

Cheers Keller, that would make sense on both counts. I'd presumed it was always the closest target.

ATAG_Knuckles
Sep-27-2013, 12:23
It dosen't seem to be too consistent at time, but has been useful in finding some targets

Probably like it was back in the 1940s

Roblex
Sep-27-2013, 14:14
'Mission Target' is your home base. I don't know why but it is. Take off, fly East and check radar and it will say 'Mission Target 2 miles bearing 270'

The bearing is only given as 30 degree sectors i.e. if the target is 135 degrees from you then the radar will say 120 but if it is 136 degrees it will say 150

As said, '15 miles' means 'At least 15 miles'.

I am fairly certain that the radar only sees formations which is why you can be shot down while the radar says the nearest fighters are at least 15 miles away.

I used to think the bearing was meaningless over 15 miles as usually anywhere from Manston to French Point will yield 'Bombers bearing 150 15 miles. Fighters bearing 120 15 miles' if no groups are up but on Sunday while flying near Wilmington I was getting 'Fighters bearing Zero 15 miles' and there was indeed a formation of human piloted 110s & 109s near Maidstone. There may be a size and 'tightness' criteria as I have never seen a message for a pair of close fighters or four fighters in loose combat spread. I am not entirely sure what the 'Fighters 120 & Bombers 150' message is indicating when there are no formations; it could be meaningless or it could be pointing to AI spawn points eg Tramcourt & ?.

All the above applies to the Tab-7-1 radar. On the SoW server the Tab-4-1 radar (when it is working) will give intercept vectors to bomber formations and they are accurate to the degree but he timing is based on an assumed average cruise speed. An official on SoW told me it wont give intercepts for bombers heading home but this is not true as I have seen them but it may only be when they are still quite close whereas incoming bombers are picked up very far away. the most I have seen is IoW to Cherbourg but it may be capable of more.

235 Sqn. Coldstreamer (QJ-X)
Oct-01-2013, 14:34

i like this as I'm prity sure, well 95%.That pilots didn't have direct contact with radar sites, sector stations did have contact. thus pilot would have to ask sector station by radio for a update. sector station would ask radar site by land line (telephone) for update. then relay back to pilot via radio the update. thinking on a aircraft moving at 250mph distance/bearing to from target would be fairly vague. think of the colour coded arrows on the south coast maps in bob film they where accurate to 5 mins.Even in 1943 lost bomber crews had to ask radar stations for bearings from 2 sites in morse code to get a reply.

1lokos
Oct-01-2013, 15:27
think of the colour coded arrows on the south coast maps in bob film they where accurate to 5 mins.

http://www.century-of-flight.net/Aviation%20history/WW2/images2/rdfscreen.gif
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/RAF-SECTOR-CLOCK-/00/s/MTMxMVgxMzAw/$T2eC16dHJI!E9qSO9)ilBQ2+t6Vq!!~~60_35.JPG

This blimp at 89 degrees receives a yellow tag.

:D

Sokol1