View Full Version : Update 27th Sep

=BKHZ=Furbs
Sep-27-2013, 13:34
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/508681281/dcs-wwii-europe-1944/posts

And the vid...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYy5MgFd7ME

=BKHZ=Furbs
Sep-27-2013, 13:35
Really enjoyed that, if there is one thing Luthier does very well, its passion.

lots of good ideas.

ATAG_Lewis
Sep-27-2013, 15:14
Great to see the out-takes at the end....He doesn't mind looking goofy to people and I admire that in his personality....He's pretty cool....

said the man with the stupid avatar!!

Kling
Sep-27-2013, 15:24
Great to see the out-takes at the end....He doesn't mind looking goofy to people and I admire that in his personality....He's pretty cool....

said the man with the stupid avatar!!

How do we help him to post videos of old il2 since he is not allowed to mention them??!

Old_Canuck
Sep-27-2013, 15:47
Out- takes were a great touch. Shows that he's for real and yes I love that zeal too. Mistakes are just correctable little speed bumps but the zeal and collective experience will get them to the finish line. Oleg, RRG and ED - the dream team known and appreciated by so few.

ATAG_NakedSquirrel
Sep-27-2013, 16:14
:rofl: love the outtakes

Tvrdi
Sep-27-2013, 16:54
He is clearly passionate about sims... I would backup this project after this video even if I didnt already decided to do that earlier....He took the blame for CLODs release fiasco...and it wasnt all his fault...

AKA_Recon
Sep-27-2013, 18:02
so, graphically the game doesn't look very new.

granted, the rest of the game might be great with it's complex FM, etc...

ie. the flames. everytime you shoot a plane down, it has the same flames that engulf the plane- but it doesn't ever look like a certain part of the plane is on fire- it's the same animation every time. And everytime you shoot a wing off, it looks the same and 'is engulfed in flames'. This makes me question the games DM as well.

I contributed a good sum toward the game, so I support it - but I must say, I don't really get the 'wow' factor from these video's.

Our own TF / Cliffs of Dover graphics look much more modern and the damage effects, etc... look a few years updated - what I see in that opening video looks to be an engine that is 5+ years old ? Better than IL2:1946, but not as good as Cliffs of Dover or Rise of Flight (and Battle of Stalingrad videos)

I'm hoping part of DCS WW2 will be graphical updates and not just a new map and planes.

Is that asking for too much ?

Do you agree ?

AKA_Recon
Sep-27-2013, 18:04
He is clearly passionate about sims... I would backup this project after this video even if I didnt already decided to do that earlier....He took the blame for CLODs release fiasco...and it wasnt all his fault...

So, I hear this, but don't really know the story. So, after CloD was released, were they unable to continue fixing and updating things ?

I get a bit confused, as I see some guys here in TF that don't even have the source code, and don't work on this as their full time job - just part time as a hobby - and they appear to have done more for the game than the CloD team did ?

Curious why ? Obviously they created a great game that wasn't done, but then what ? And who is he in trouble with that he is unable to speak - (Ubisoft ?)

Old_Canuck
Sep-27-2013, 18:21
So, I hear this, but don't really know the story. So, after CloD was released, were they unable to continue fixing and updating things ?

I get a bit confused, as I see some guys here in TF that don't even have the source code, and don't work on this as their full time job - just part time as a hobby - and they appear to have done more for the game than the CloD team did ?

Curious why ? Obviously they created a great game that wasn't done, but then what ? And who is he in trouble with that he is unable to speak - (Ubisoft ?)

It's a common business practice to have a contract drawn up where the seller of a service or product is bound to an agreement not to compete for a certain period of time. However, forcing the seller not to even mention their role in the development is a cowardly act IMHO.

dburne
Sep-27-2013, 20:15
I'm hoping part of DCS WW2 will be graphical updates and not just a new map and planes.

Is that asking for too much ?

Do you agree ?

I agree with you as well - it is still very early in the project, let's keep the faith...

Royraiden
Sep-27-2013, 20:50
I agree with you as well - it is still very early in the project, let's keep the faith...

There have been official comments on those issues already.As for for graphics the only negative is the terrain and ground objects, EDGE should have that covered.As for visual damage model they are really high on the priority list not only for this project but for DCS World and everything related to it.

AKA_Recon
Sep-27-2013, 21:07
ok cool thanks!

TheVino3
Sep-27-2013, 22:18
The visual damage model is crap basically because DCS was primarily a modern era flight simulation, and missiles generally make jets explode and catch fire in various different ways. So making a really detailed visual damage model wasn't so important, especially when your enemy is miles and miles away - all you really need to see is some fire and smoke. The actual damage to components that is calculated in DCS is actually insanely comprehensive, but the visuals for it didnt need to be anything like as complex.

This doesn't transfer well to WW2 aircraft, because to shoot one down you have to be right there, so you see exactly what you are doing. To my understanding, it is high on the priority list for the new game to improve the visual damage model to the standard of the physical one - which I think is basically inescapable for a modern WW2 flight sim. EDGE should have the environment down as well, I think its going to be a pretty good looking game.

indyscout
Sep-27-2013, 22:57
so, graphically the game doesn't look very new.
ie. the flames. everytime you shoot a plane down, it has the same flames that engulf the plane- but it doesn't ever look like a certain part of the plane is on fire- it's the same animation every time. And everytime you shoot a wing off, it looks the same and 'is engulfed in flames'. This makes me question the games DM as well.

This is my biggest problem with DCS. Every time I get into a dogfight with a dora or other p51, the fight always seems to end with a wing flying off and the plane going down in a fireball, so I question the DM greatly.

Tvrdi
Sep-28-2013, 09:19
AFAIK damage visuals will be much improved in Europe 44....Luthier knows very well what is important and thtas why he said it will be done....