PDA

View Full Version : Team Fusion Friday Update - 27th September 2013 - Particle Effects

Mysticpuma
Sep-27-2013, 15:28
Today we show you some particle effects that have been re-worked, along with some great new additions by one of our modellers.

Please note all the footage was shot 'real-time'. No cheating by filming the footage slow speed and then speeding it up in the edit. This was all at 1920x1200 and recorded using FRAPS at a minimum of 30-fps.

Everything in the Graphics menu is set to maximum or high ;)

System used was;

an i7 950 @ 3.06 Ghz
6Gb of Ram
Nvidia 670 GTX 4Gb

So not a super beast by any means.

Watch as the aircraft goes through the water spray and thick smoke without losing a frame.

Note too new water craft (no official paint-schemes yet, so look a little unfinished). These only became available this week, so I thought, why not put those in too?

There are a couple of sequences of note. One is the attack on the Submarine and the other on the boat, both with the guns. You can see the new smoke effect for the 20mm + hit effects. What is more important is the PoV. The camera is completely zoomed in, which in the old version (Vanilla and TF 3.01) would cause the FPS to sometimes drop to six frames-per-second until you passed through the spray (or smoke). This is no-longer an issue and as you can see in the footage, there is no visible slow down or frame loss. At last, smoke, spray, fire effects and not FPS hit.

Not long now and you will be able to enjoy it too. Cheers, TF

Video is here:

https://vimeo.com/75603725

https://vimeo.com/75603725

trooph
Sep-27-2013, 15:36
Wow... Did u re-do 20mm cannon rounds smoke?
THat looks awesome :)

9./ZG26Eicken
Sep-27-2013, 15:43
Nice to see some Bf 110 action and love the new 20mm effect :)

Also, new Bf 110 model?

Wolfskid
Sep-27-2013, 15:45
However MysticPuma....rooaaarrrr,,, miiau:)

THANK YOU SOOO MUCH for your work....:doh:

Mysticpuma
Sep-27-2013, 15:49
Also, new Bf 110 model?

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ;)

bisher
Sep-27-2013, 15:50
That is looking good gents. Keep up the great work!

Mysticpuma
Sep-27-2013, 15:50
Wow... Did u re-do 20mm cannon rounds smoke?
THat looks awesome :)

One of the many issues identified by players was the FPS hit and lack of visibility when flying through that smoke...... not any more ;)

ATAG_Lolsav
Sep-27-2013, 15:51
:clap:

Mattias
Sep-27-2013, 15:52
Great video as usual Mystic!
Seen it 4 times in a row now... 5th time coming up :popcorn2:

9./ZG26Eicken
Sep-27-2013, 15:52
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ;)

I won' tell if you won't ;)

Any chance of letting us know what model it is? :P

bisher
Sep-27-2013, 15:56
or what model it isn't :)

ATAG_Lolsav
Sep-27-2013, 16:01
When bombs impact i saw a plane jumping out from the boat? Will it be flyable for defense? Is it a hurricane?

RAF74_Buzzsaw
Sep-27-2013, 16:02
Also, new Bf 110 model?

There are three new 110 models.

C-2, early version, similar to C-4 but lighter and without MG FF/M weapon and Minengeschoss 20mm ammunition loadout.

C-4N, which is C-4 with DB601N engines

C-7 (late) An upgraded C-7, to represent the version available from approx. Oct. 1940, with WEP power, and auto pitch control like the E-4.

In addition, the C-4, C-4N and C-7 are now enabled with MG FF/M weapon and allowed to use Minengeschoss 20mm ammunition.

There is also a NachtJager version of the C-4.

DUI
Sep-27-2013, 16:03
Nice, really nice! Already watched the video a couple of times!
As the video mainly was about performance, displaying the fps would have been an idea. If you had not said "always above 30 fps" my stutter-proven eyes would have expected some frame drops in one or two scenes... :beaten:

I think the zero seconds delay of the low-level bomb fuse is also working now, isn't it?

The submarine and additional freighter model(?) look great and surely will add to the whole BoB feeling.
Out of curiosity: was it possible to sink a sub with 20 mm ammunition?

9./ZG26Eicken
Sep-27-2013, 16:07
There are three new 110 models.

x.x wow, freaking awesome!

Thank you so much BUzzsaw.

Tvrdi
Sep-27-2013, 16:22
Im speachless

Mysticpuma
Sep-27-2013, 16:53
Nice, really nice! Already watched the video a couple of times!
As the video mainly was about performance, displaying the fps would have been an idea. If you had not said "always above 30 fps" my stutter-proven eyes would have expected some frame drops in one or two scenes... :beaten:

I think the zero seconds delay of the low-level bomb fuse is also working now, isn't it?

The submarine and additional freighter model(?) look great and surely will add to the whole BoB feeling.
Out of curiosity: was it possible to sink a sub with 20 mm ammunition?

Hi DUI

Having thought it though, I could have shown the FPS counter in the corner. I'll be honest, I decidied against it for no other reason than I hoped that by viewing the footage as it was shot 'raw', you would be able to see the distinct lack of loss in FPS in comparison to what you currently see. To my eye, it's about how you see the game, rather than a digital frame counter, but I should add, I have Vertical Sync enabled (at 60-fps) and also when I record in FRAPS, I lock the frame-rate to 30-fps. Now, I may be getting (and before I locked the FPS I did see 60-fps with all settings as indicated maxed out) but I can't promise 60-fps consistency, so I record it as you see it. It never dropped below 30-fps, but may in fact have been hovering around 40-fps.....I just prefer to lock the frames for recording.

One strange thing regarding FRAPS which I haven't sorted yet (but am trying) is that when I click record, I lose some of the new flame effects on the exhausts of the engines....they look amazing now! Working on fixing that so you can see it though as it is really cool! Cheers, MP

PS. At some point the DM for the sub will be fixed...it was just to showcase the new model......all in good time chaps ;)

dburne
Sep-27-2013, 17:49
Looking really, really good TF.
I am so look forward to this update!

Skoshi_Tiger
Sep-27-2013, 18:36
Great work! Thank you!

DUI
Sep-27-2013, 19:53
Having thought it though, I could have shown the FPS counter in the corner.
Thanks for the answer, MP! If you say that it always ran smoothly, it always ran smoothly. :D

Cybermat47
Sep-27-2013, 20:18
The type VIIB U-boat's deck gun looks a bit too small...

But still, great work!

RAF74_Buzzsaw
Sep-27-2013, 21:15

But still, great work!

The deck guns are still a work in progress. As mentioned before, the Sub was being used as a weapons testbed, so some versions had double barrel Cruiser turrets mounted, some versions had other ahistorical gun types.

Continu0
Sep-28-2013, 04:43
Not long now and you will be able to enjoy it too.

Well then... how long is not long? :D

Sandy1942
Sep-28-2013, 04:50
Excellent work, Team Fusion! :thumbsup:

Buzzsaw, Bf110C-4 Night Fighter has any differences from basic variant?

Basha
Sep-28-2013, 04:58
Excellent work TF thank you, might gets me a GPU for the new release, cant think of a better reason to do so :thumbsup::thumbsup::salute:

Mysticpuma
Sep-28-2013, 05:06

But still, great work!

Hi, no problem and thanks for the comment. As mentioned, the models only became available for the Beta in the last couple-of-days and aren't even skinned yet, just using place holder textures. The models are currently all WiP and that has always been the way the videos have been designed...of course, ai didn't add that to this posting which is remiss of me!

Mainly when we post an update it's to show the community a little bit more of what we are doing and it was felt that it would be nice for the community to see that we really have now made huge steps forward as we now are in the process of creating new models for the software and importing them. The challenge involved has been huge to try and even get this far, but now it is done, it opens the door to a whole new realm of features and possibilities.

Behind the scenes another HUGE step forward has been taken and that's all I am saying about it, but it is very, very important and when announced by it's developer impressed the rest of the team who didn't expect the advance anywhere near this soon. A tantalising comment? Yes. But that's all on that for now, sorry :)

Re. The models, please don't ask about new aircraft yet. I know you will want to but this update is about particle effects, fps improvement and showing a huge advance in the fact we can get new models in....although currently WiP ;)

@ Continu0

Not 2-weeks :)

Continu0
Sep-28-2013, 05:16
@ Continu0

Not 2-weeks :)

I guess the smilie doesn´t turn it into "less than 2 weeks", right?

It´s haaard to wait, sigh... but as I have a couple of things to do in RL at the moment, its probably better to get the patch later...:D

Mysticpuma
Sep-28-2013, 05:54
Hi Contnu0, don't be downhearted about the time it will take. The thing is, as we are bug testing (late stages as we.prepare for release), the occasional nasty little fella will raise his head and then that has to be squashed. It's what it's all about, fix, bug squash, fix (creates new bug), hunt it down, destroy....new bug because of destruction....etc,etc.

There's one bug that recently showed up and it only happens when there isn't an Ai aircraft present (it's not a gamebreaker, just a "what the hell!?" but imagine the fun ot was trying to find the reason it was happening!? One of our geniuses sorted that out!
It's all about tidying up. Everything is in place, it's just the refinements that take the time....but the clock.has been ticking and seriously, we are getting close :-)

Cheers, MP

dburne
Sep-28-2013, 06:24
Excellent work TF thank you, might gets me a GPU for the new release, cant think of a better reason to do so :thumbsup::thumbsup::salute:

No kidding, I am currently ordering and receiving parts for a nice new build - their killing me man! :)

Remon
Sep-28-2013, 06:56
I really like all the changes you guys have made to the game, except one. What happened to the foams on the sea? That effect is something that no other sim has and really makes the sea much more beautiful.

Headshot
Sep-28-2013, 07:23
Great job guys looks excellent.

92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)
Sep-28-2013, 07:37
I really like all the changes you guys have made to the game, except one. What happened to the foams on the sea? That effect is something that no other sim has and really makes the sea much more beautiful.

don't worry ;)

9./JG52 Ziegler
Sep-28-2013, 08:58
Hi Contnu0, don't be downhearted about the time it will take. The thing is, as we are bug testing (late stages as we.prepare for release), the occasional nasty little fella will raise his head and then that has to be squashed. It's what it's all about, fix, bug squash, fix (creates new bug), hunt it down, destroy....new bug because of destruction....etc,etc.

There's one bug that recently showed up and it only happens when there isn't an Ai aircraft present (it's not a gamebreaker, just a "what the hell!?" but imagine the fun ot was trying to find the reason it was happening!? One of our geniuses sorted that out!
It's all about tidying up. Everything is in place, it's just the refinements that take the time....but the clock.has been ticking and seriously, we are getting close :-)

Cheers, MP

Thanks MP and all the others for their time and efforts. I would rather wait a bit longer and avoid any mini patches after the fact. Looking good.

Meaks
Sep-28-2013, 09:29
Here,here,I totally agree,waiting a little longer for TF to iron all the bugs has to be worth it,and we all know it'll be worth it in the long run :thumbsup:

Mysticpuma
Sep-28-2013, 09:48
Don't worry about the water effects, it's not shown in this video and is being looked at :) I'm not talking 20-foot waves, just a little more wavey :)

Kling
Sep-28-2013, 10:17

Its already fixed and will look good again in the released version!

Uwe
Sep-28-2013, 12:31
I just can't believe all the advances you have all made. It's really quite amazing what you've accomplished.

RAF74_Buzzsaw
Sep-28-2013, 14:25
Excellent work, Team Fusion! :thumbsup:

Buzzsaw, Bf110C-4 Night Fighter has any differences from basic variant?

Yes, differences, but not in performance.

keeno
Sep-28-2013, 14:53
Whooo, the shot were the 110 pulls up over the ship its just bombed looks incredible with the wake of the ship and the impacts of debris in the sea and the column of smoke rising. just amazing!.

Sandy1942
Sep-28-2013, 15:56
Yes, differences, but not in performance.
Gun sight of Revi C/12N (red light) or 12D (as in video)?

I_B_Spectre
Sep-28-2013, 20:06
Excellent work, Team Fusion. These Friday updates sure whet the appetite. Can't wait...but then I guess we'll have to. Good things are worth the wait.

MadTommy
Sep-29-2013, 04:14
To be honest the only update i care to be shown anymore is a patch. I'm sure i'll be jumped upon for this but i tired of being shown the many improvements many of which seem to have been done months ago, only to be told 'coming in a patch soon'.

Maybe its a case of perfectionism, but it would seem a lot of improvements could have been released in small patches by now.. that is certainly the impression I get from the 'updates' over the proceeding months.

TF should obviously do it as they want, but i'm running out of patience with CloD.. i suggest if others are like me, improvements need to be shipped out or the community playing is gonna keep on shrinking.

Respectfully MT

92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)
Sep-29-2013, 04:31
To be honest the only update i care to be shown anymore is a patch. I'm sure i'll be jumped upon for this but i tired of being shown the many improvements many of which seem to have been done months ago, only to be told 'coming in a patch soon'.
Friday updates continue to happen because they are a bit of a tradition, and many people look forward to (and some even demand) them.
Unfortunately, fixes to one area of the game tend to result in something else breaking. And fixes require testing. proper testing, which is painstaking and tedious.

but it would seem a lot of improvements could have been released in small patches by now.. that is certainly the impression I get from the 'updates' over the proceeding months.

The reasons why the single-large patch approach has been adopted, rather than loads of little ones has been explained a few times already.

I can assure you, the guys working on the patch are just as desperate to release it, as folks are to obtain it. But the last thing this game need is another broken, rushed development. That would probably be the final nail in the coffin!

selev
Sep-29-2013, 12:23
Its looking fantastic guys, thank you for your continued dedication and hard work ... i'm looking forward to this:thumbsup:

Mysticpuma
Sep-29-2013, 12:34
So are we, even more than MadTommy! :)

Mattias
Sep-29-2013, 12:43
So are we, even more than MadTommy! :)
+ 1 :)

Trust me, we would much rather play the game online with all of you than staring into hundreds of thousands of lines of code trying to find bugs :die:

We are getting very close now :thumbsup:

nacy
Sep-29-2013, 13:25
The skin of the U-Boat in IL2 1946 is nicer than Cliffs Of Dover.

French: La skin du U-Boat dans IL2 1946 est plus jolie que dans Cliffs Of Dover.

ATAG_Colander
Sep-29-2013, 13:37

French: La skin du U-Boat dans IL2 1946 est plus jolie que dans Cliffs Of Dover.

Les Cliffs Of Dover peau n'a pas encore été créée. C'est seulement une skin temporaire

nacy
Sep-29-2013, 13:46
C'est seulement une skin temporaire

thank you for info.

MadTommy
Sep-29-2013, 14:59
Pay no real attention to me previous comments, i was tired and grouchy. I'm sure everyone wants the patch out.. :thumbsup:

Flyingblind
Sep-29-2013, 15:51
Excellent work as always. Pleased to hear water will be improved. Whilst on subject of water, and this is not a request or anything, in the run up to release Oleg was showing impressive examples of the water with breaking waves on the shore and transparency etc but in the event there was only the placeholder. Is the original code for the water buried in the game somewhere and could possibly be resurrected sometime in the future. Even if not the water we have now is as good if not better than comparable sims and very convincing to fly over.

Wolf
Sep-29-2013, 17:03

It has been said many, many, many times. The sub and ship in the pics and video have not been skinned yet for the game. They are just showing that we have the ability to make and import new models now. We have two very talented skin makers now skinning the models and will look very authentic and much better when released.

ATAG_Ribbs
Sep-29-2013, 17:52
Yeah.. I just don't understand some posters on this board sometimes.. Not sure if its the language barrier.. or what.. but it amazes me that people don't read the thread before they post. Case in point with nacys post.. if he would have read the thread before posting he would have known that it was states multiple times that the Sub and ship models weren't skinned yet. It only makes his post sound very negative towards TF and the ship modelers..( even tho I realize its more to do with how his language translates to English).

nacy
Sep-29-2013, 18:29
Yeah.. I just don't understand some posters on this board sometimes.. Not sure if its the language barrier.. or what.. but it amazes me that people don't read the thread before they post. Case in point with nacys post.. if he would have read the thread before posting he would have known that it was states multiple times that the Sub and ship models weren't skinned yet. It only makes his post sound very negative towards TF and the ship modelers..( even tho I realize its more to do with how his language translates to English).

me also I just don't understand some posters on this board sometimes.
It only makes your post sound very negative towards nacy?

PS: excuse si vous trouvez que nacy a fait une attaque très négative envers la Team-Fusion ou les modélisateurs de U-Boat...

ATAG_Ribbs
Sep-29-2013, 22:56
me also I just don't understand some posters on this board sometimes.
It only makes your post sound very negative towards nacy?

PS: excuse si vous trouvez que nacy a fait une attaque très négative envers la Team-Fusion ou les modélisateurs de U-Boat...

Not sure what you replied, but I was just saying that people should read the entire thread before they post pics saying 1946 Subs look better than Cliffs of Dover Subs like you did. You would have known they weren't skinned yet... and that they would be finished soon. The way your language translates into English..makes you sound very Negative most of the time...which isn't your fault... and makes people quick to judge you and your posts.

And this isn't what I wrote at all...lol

"me also I just don't understand some posters on this board sometimes.
It only makes your post sound very negative towards nacy?"

SoW Reddog
Sep-30-2013, 04:26
I understand everyone's point of view. Personally I think that the decision to release one patch rather than a hotfix for the LOD issue (since thats the thing which affects most peoples impressions and enjoyment of the game I reckon) and then the rest of the patch was the wrong one but it's done and no point discussing it. TF made a decision and stuck with it, rightly or wrongly which is the right path to take.

I would say that while I appreciate all the updates and videos, it would be nice to also have an indication of what is still being worked on with regards to bug fixes etc. It doesn't need to be an exhaustive list but a general indication that "we're still fixing issues cropping up in the Hurricane FM" or "We really are just polishing off the aesthetic aspects of the Particles" etc.

The original timescales were Aug/Sept IIRC, and while I suspect TF always expected Late Sept, us poor players were praying for Early Aug so we're already 2 months out of sync! :D

Please don't take this as knocking or negative.

31st_ff_yellow(26)
Sep-30-2013, 05:34
BTW...

the sub is flyable ? :-) lool

Nice work @ TF !!! bThanx a lot for supporting that fine sim !!!

Wolf
Sep-30-2013, 05:38
BTW...

the sub is flyable ? :-) lool

Nice work @ TF !!! bThanx a lot for supporting that fine sim !!!

Only if you wear a watermelon as a flying helmet. ...... So I guess you are in luck. :)

31st_ff_yellow(26)
Sep-30-2013, 10:50
Only if you wear a watermelon as a flying helmet. ...... So I guess you are in luck. :)

:thumbsup: i work on it :salute:

whhhhhaaaaa... omg cant wait but have to :goofy

14./JG5_Capt.Stubing
Sep-30-2013, 10:57

Actually IL2 1946 has foam on the sea... It was the first sim I had seen that has this effect. It came when they added the Pacific Theater.

9./JG52 Jamz Dackel
Sep-30-2013, 10:59
Hey Everyone..

Firstly a BIG hello to the old n bold...been away in the 'line of duty' but back in old blighty again now..

Secondly have to say thanks for this TF..Its made the game enjoyable again for me, had GF last night.

Looking forward to the new patchos!

~S~

Old_Canuck
Sep-30-2013, 11:22
:salute: Sir and welcome back from the old but not so bold :D

9./JG52 Jamz Dackel
Oct-01-2013, 08:04
:salute: Sir and welcome back from the old but not so bold :D

:salute:

varrattu
Oct-01-2013, 08:34
Also, new Bf 110 model?

With or without fixed Wendezeiger (turn and bank indicator) ?

Thanks Team Fusion. Keep up the great work!

Regards ~V~