PDA

View Full Version : New Mission Testing Session - Sunday 6th October

SoW Reddog
Oct-03-2013, 10:53
Hi all,

The mission I've been working on for a couple of weeks is just about ready for some large scale testing. I'm hoping to get a bunch of you lot to join us 92 Sqn. guys on Sunday 6th Oct round about 10am UK time (sorry, don't know what that works out for you poor souls not living in the UK)

The mission has been tested previously by 92 Sqn and we know that the objective triggers work, the custom bits of script work and that the AI Spawns are firing. What we don't know is whether there are issues with airfield spawn points, AI flight paths, messages, amount of flak etc. I can't promise that it will be trouble free experience and there may be a bit of waiting around as I fix anything that crops up, but if you fancy giving us a hand in testing this to a point I'm confident that I can send it to Bliss for hosting on ATAG you'll be more than welcome and your assistance appreciated.

The server will either be my machine or a fellow 92 Sqn's, so it won't be able to hold a hundred people but we shall see how it goes. I will be hanging around in the ATAG TS ready room on the day, just drop in and say hello and we'll get you squared away with any passwords, TS addresses and server names needed. To be clear, this will NOT be on ATAG on Sunday!

About the mission:

The mission is hopefully building on the work done by Salmo with Operation Homeplate in recreating a more Battle of Britain style experience. As such, there are currently NO Red objectives other than to survive. The Blue objectives are deeper inland than currently seen on ATAG missions, consisting of:

RAF Biggin Hill (using a bomb weight script similar to Homeplate)
RAF Kenley (using a bomb weight script similar to Homeplate)
A Factory complex south of Sevenoaks
The Oil Fired Powerstation of Littlebrook
Short Brothers Aircraft Factory at Rochester

In order to win, the Blues must destroy 4 or more of the above. AI raids are directed at Biggin Hill and Kenley and should be sufficient to destroy them without player intervention provided the bombers get through.

There is a script active which should prevent Red planes crossing the "front line" and vulching over France. I'm sure some of you will want to test it out! :)

Planesets are simple, 100 Octane Spits and Hurricanes (no 2a) for Red, Blues have everything but E4N's and B model 109's.

I (we) hope to see you there.

Red

EG14_Marcast
Oct-03-2013, 11:28
RAF Biggin Hill (using a bomb weight script similar to Homeplate)
RAF Kenley (using a bomb weight script similar to Homeplate)
A Factory complex south of Sevenoaks
The Oil Fired Powerstation of Littlebrook

It must be a fantastic mission, pity I can't be there on sunday. I'm eager to see it

P.S. No London target? I dream of an attack to Battersea power station defended by pig-shaped barrage balloons :)

Little_D
Oct-03-2013, 11:36
Hi Reddog,

you can count on me :)

regards

Little_D

92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)
Oct-03-2013, 11:41
P.S. No London target?

Littlebrook is only 1.3 miles from London boundary. So, if you get your bombs off target, you might hit London ;)

ATAG_Lolsav
Oct-03-2013, 12:19
Hi all,
Sunday 6th Oct round about 10am UK time (sorry, don't know what that works out for you poor souls not living in the UK)

In a Sunday? Cmon delay that a bit (or hopefully extend it to afternoon).

If i stay up late flying with the blokes across the ocean i certainly wont be up soon on a sunday! Ill show up if i wake up :)

235 Sqn. Coldstreamer (QJ-X)
Oct-03-2013, 12:21
I dont do alot sunday mornings so i'll turn up if thats ok

AKA_Recon
Oct-03-2013, 12:39
I'm EST - I hope it goes well, it sounds like a good mission setup

SoW Reddog
Oct-03-2013, 15:42
In a Sunday? Cmon delay that a bit (or hopefully extend it to afternoon).

If i stay up late flying with the blokes across the ocean i certainly wont be up soon on a sunday! Ill show up if i wake up :)

Sorry fella, that's the time 92 generally get together on a Sunday. I imagine the mission will last a good few hours, fingers crossed!

SoW Reddog
Oct-03-2013, 15:42
I dont do alot sunday mornings so i'll turn up if thats ok

Absolutely mate, the more the merrier and the better it'll get tested. Plus, the more people playing the more feedback I get to make it better.

Roblex
Oct-04-2013, 02:57

Is it really the factory at Rochester or are we bombing something else nearby? As far as I am aware the map does not have the factory.

SoW Reddog
Oct-04-2013, 03:34
Is it really the factory at Rochester or are we bombing something else nearby? As far as I am aware the map does not have the factory.

Mr Picky! :D

No, it's not the "real" Short's factory, since the objects in the FMB aren't really close to the buildings, additionally as you highlight, there's already *something* there. I've built the factory on the bend in the river downstream of the real site. Its the best I can do in two weeks I'm afraid!

92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)
Oct-04-2013, 04:22

The LittleBrook power station in the mission is also a few hundred metres from the historical/ real-life location. But it's close enough, and on the right side of the river Thames.

Roblex
Oct-04-2013, 06:21
Mr Picky! :D

No, it's not the "real" Short's factory, since the objects in the FMB aren't really close to the buildings, additionally as you highlight, there's already *something* there. I've built the factory on the bend in the river downstream of the real site. Its the best I can do in two weeks I'm afraid!

Sorry. I did not mean to be picky :-) I was more hoping that you had found a way to fix the map. The shorts factory may be a minor matter but is a shame that Chatham Royal Navy Dockyard that encompasses the whole bend of the river (see my first pic) is completely missing while the tiny commercial dock at Rochester is modelled :doh: I sent 1C detailed maps and plans, at their request, while CLOD was still being developed and nothing happened.

EG14_Marcast
Oct-04-2013, 09:25
About the mission:

The mission is hopefully building on the work done by Salmo with Operation Homeplate in recreating a more Battle of Britain style experience. As such, there are currently NO Red objectives other than to survive.......

Just something that came in my mind, perhaps you already thought on that: Maybe it could be better to have a target for Reds too, a number of enemies destroyed as in Homeplate, counting in this number also the not-hit crashed planes. This could prevent the 109's guys to take off for no return missions, forcing them to check the fuel gauge as it was back in 1940.

SoW Reddog
Oct-04-2013, 10:27
Just something that came in my mind, perhaps you already thought on that: Maybe it could be better to have a target for Reds too, a number of enemies destroyed as in Homeplate, counting in this number also the not-hit crashed planes. This could prevent the 109's guys to take off for no return missions, forcing them to check the fuel gauge as it was back in 1940.

I've considered this and rejected the idea for a couple of reasons.

1) I don't want to "recreate" homeplate with different targets. Salmo's put a lot of work into his mission, as have I (to a reduced extent!) and one of the criticisms I have with the current missions on the server HP excepted is that they're very "samey". I don't want to end up perpetuating this.
2) If we put a target number in then it allows the mission to be ended early. One of the comments recently about HP is that it's ending too soon and that people want it to be extended by increasing the number of planes to destroy.
3) I'm hoping to add a different element to the mission by restricting the numbers of 109's of differing marques to those taking off and returning. So, we have say a pool of 20 E4's. These take off, half are shot down or don't return, there's now only 10 left. I will of course add a "replacement trickle" to the number so it doesn't end up with no 109's after an hour of suicide raids but you get the jist.

This is my first mission making exercise and I've attempted to keep things relatively simple while adding my own twists here and there. I'm not ruling out further tinkering on this mission before it ends up on ATAG and will almost certainly be making another "longer flight" mission covering the Isle of Wight area soon.

EG14_Marcast
Oct-04-2013, 11:43
3) I'm hoping to add a different element to the mission by restricting the numbers of 109's of differing marques to those taking off and returning. So, we have say a pool of 20 E4's. These take off, half are shot down or don't return, there's now only 10 left. I will of course add a "replacement trickle" to the number so it doesn't end up with no 109's after an hour of suicide raids but you get the jist.

I like this idea, it's really something new. Let's see how it works.

Bear Pilot
Oct-04-2013, 22:27
I like this idea, it's really something new. Let's see how it works.

+1

1lokos
Oct-05-2013, 00:08

You picture give me a idea to simulate a RECON flight.

One crazy and brave blue pilot in Me-110 go to look for the target.
Finding, take screenshot, put the plane in autopilot course, and acting
like a navigator hit Alt+tab - to use his "radio gear" - and upload the picture
for team know web page.

Other team members use Steam Browser (Shift+Tab browser overlay like map) to see the target picture. :)

Well, perhaps work in some "online war" mission. :thumbsup:

Sokol1

ATAG_Snapper
Oct-05-2013, 19:35
OK, 10 am GMT = 6 am Eastern Daylight Time. Alarm is set, wife thinks I'm nuts, her only comment was "Just don't wake up the dogs!"

Heh.

See you bright 'n early, gents. :D

SoW Reddog
Oct-06-2013, 17:01
My thanks to those who gave up main server flying time in order to help test this mission this morning. I feel it went quite well and we're close to an initial release.

I've fixed the couple of issues we found this morning with the rogue spawn at hornchurch, the wrong objective completed messages. Can't see the issue with the anti vulching script, it looks fine but clearly didn't work properly this morning. Having said that it is a pretty good deterrent! :)

The blues definitely need some sort of feedback after raids on Kenley and Biggin Hill and I'll be implementing a "minor", "major", "critical" damage message for them rather than the % system in Homeplate.
I think the only thing really needed now is a better RDF system for the Reds, but I guess that goes for the game generally.

I'm going to tidy it up and get a version to Bliss for approval and hopefully ATAG hosted testing!

Unless of course anyone's got any more feedback??

92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)
Oct-07-2013, 04:08
Some addition edits we discussed on Sunday morning,.

1. Shoreham RAF spawn

2. Maybe some light MG guns placed in the towns and villages (1 MG per village) in rural Kent areas

and one we didn't discuss

3. Maybe move a stuka spawn close to the front also. Stukas are quite slow. The trip from the rear-most bases was a little arduous.

SoW Reddog
Oct-07-2013, 06:45
1. Shoreham RAF spawn
- This was done for Sunday's test? Or was there a problem I didn't register at the time?

2. Maybe some light MG guns placed in the towns and villages (1 MG per village) in rural Kent areas
- Yes, sorry, forgot that one.

3. Maybe move a stuka spawn close to the front also. Stukas are quite slow. The trip from the rear-most bases was a little arduous.
- Potentially I could make all German plane types available at all their bases? (Would have a knock on for my idea of restricting aircraft numbers for the Blues) Alternatively, I think at least one of the Tripod Bases is currently unused, could move the Stuka's there?

9./JG52 Jamz Dackel
Oct-07-2013, 06:57
Cheers Reddog for this, was hoping to jump on but my Saturday night out got a bit too messy in the end :doh:

Glad it went well and looking forward to trying it out myself

~S~

92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)
Oct-07-2013, 07:15
1. Shoreham RAF spawn
- This was done for Sunday's test? Or was there a problem I didn't register at the time?
Maybe it was fixed.. I thought it [the spawn] was disabled during the test...

- Yes, sorry, forgot that one.
n.p.

- Potentially I could make all German plane types available at all their bases? (Would have a knock on for my idea of restricting aircraft numbers for the Blues) Alternatively, I think at least one of the Tripod Bases is currently unused, could move the Stuka's there?

Yup, move them to the tripod. I think it's good to have bomber and fighter separated. Helps the bombers form up for takeoff without fighters using the taxiways etc.

SoW Reddog
Oct-10-2013, 04:20
OK all,

I have sent the mission to Bliss for approval and a trial hosting.

I have added RDF to the map using FG28 Kodiak's script found on the banana forums and pointed to me by No.401 Wolverine. The radar stations are destructible, but do not form part of the mission objectives for the Blues. All the previous (above) suggestions have been incorporated including LW base moves closer to the coast, additional Flakshield installations across the countryside, the Shoreham spawn has been checked.

I've called the mission "London Raids" but a catchier title could be found!:thumbsup:

ATAG_Bliss
Oct-10-2013, 04:43
OK all,

I have added RDF to the map using FG28 Kodiak's script found on the banana forums and pointed to me by No.401 Wolverine. The radar stations are destructible, but do not form part of the mission objectives for the Blues. All the previous (above) suggestions have been incorporated including LW base moves closer to the coast, additional Flakshield installations across the countryside, the Shoreham spawn has been checked.

I've called the mission "London Raids" but a catchier title could be found!:thumbsup:

Sweet! I'll try to have a quick run through tomorrow before she goes live. Thanks again! :thumbsup:

Kling
Oct-10-2013, 13:48
im a little lost here...
What is in this mission? AI bomber formations attacking London?
Can we try it on the beta server?!
Thx Phil for making new missions! I would happily make missions if I knew how to make them :(

SoW Reddog
Oct-10-2013, 15:32
im a little lost here...
What is in this mission? AI bomber formations attacking London?
Can we try it on the beta server?!
Thx Phil for making new missions! I would happily make missions if I knew how to make them :(

Yeah, thanks Phil :(

Kling, the mission objectives are in the first post. In short though, there are AI raids, but most of the targets required for the Blues to win the map need to be bombed by players. As for trying it on the Beta server, that's Bliss's call not mine. I was under the impression however that the Beta server was busy testing the patch. If you're telling me it's not....:)

No.401_Wolverine
Oct-10-2013, 18:27
OK all,

Hi Reddog

Glad your mission is working well. Just saw it on the server.

Just wanted to point out that a few of my alterations to Kodiak's script are evident in the mission, so No.401 Squadron wouldn't mind a little shout out in the credits. Certainly the script I posted had // comments in it that indicated such. (Reference Storm of War Server Forum: http://www.stormofwar.net/t617-rdf-code).

I have actually made what I feel are a few more improvements to it since then which I'd be happy to share.

92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)
Oct-10-2013, 18:31

This one is Reddog's mission.

He takes thw glory... (or the shame :-P)

92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)
Oct-10-2013, 18:32
Just wanted to point out that a few of my alterations to Kodiak's script are evident in the mission, so No.401 Squadron wouldn't mind a little shout out in the credits. Certainly the script I posted had // comments in it that indicated such.

I'm sure this will be done.

I think the mission brief also needs some notes on how to use the radar. I found it quite effective, once I figured out how to use it. Works especially well against larger raids. Smaller individual contacts just cloud the picture.

No.401_Wolverine
Oct-10-2013, 18:35

I think the mission brief also needs some notes on how to use the radar. I found it quite effective, once I figured out how to use it. Works especially well against larger raids. Smaller individual contacts just cloud the picture.

The smaller individual aircraft can be removed from the picture pretty easily actually. I changed the script to include them for 401's purposes since we were sometimes dealing with very small groups and co-op campaign missions that might involve, say, a single high flying recon condor or something.

You can dictate the size of the smallest reported group.

ATAG_Monkeynut
Oct-10-2013, 19:28
Thanks for the new mission chaps, it was good fun intercepting the bombers tonight. I found the radar worked a treat once I'd figured out how to use it and was easy to scroll through the single contacts to find the larger formations.

It was nice to get out of the usual area and actually have to do some navigating for a change. It was weird to find out that I know the geography of northern France better from the air than pretty much everything north of Lympne-Manston over England, and I even went west of Hastings! Although most of my fighting was still done over Lympne area, but that was just where intercepts tended to occur.

Well done to blues for winning, hopefully reds will do better next time. If we could get a bit more co-op going this map could really make for some epic battles!

SoW Reddog
Oct-11-2013, 01:30
Hi Reddog

Glad your mission is working well. Just saw it on the server.

Just wanted to point out that a few of my alterations to Kodiak's script are evident in the mission, so No.401 Squadron wouldn't mind a little shout out in the credits. Certainly the script I posted had // comments in it that indicated such. (Reference Storm of War Server Forum: http://www.stormofwar.net/t617-rdf-code).

I have actually made what I feel are a few more improvements to it since then which I'd be happy to share.

Hi Wolverine.

I am SO sorry about that. I found Kodiak's code online and thought it was the same. I hadn't realised you'd tweaked anything. I will of course make sure that the proper credit is assigned for next time. I'll drop you a pm about the code changes.

SoW Reddog
Oct-11-2013, 01:35

Yup, that's on my list of things to do. I hadn't realised that the code had been changed to include the smaller plots too. I'm sure there'll be a few quick changes to be made to the mission itself too.

Glad everyone's enjoying it so far. (Also massively thankful it didn't crash the server or blow anyone's PC up! :) )

No.401_Wolverine
Oct-11-2013, 01:48
What you need is for the mission to run at peak hours to test how it will function with a large player load (50+). I'm not sure if that RDF is rated for high volume of players - no idea what will happen to server stability.

ATAG_Bliss
Oct-11-2013, 02:12
What you need is for the mission to run at peak hours to test how it will function with a large player load (50+). I'm not sure if that RDF is rated for high volume of players - no idea what will happen to server stability.

and @Reddog

When I played it today there was around 50 players on. I noticed a massive freeze after the initial huge flight of Do17's bombs had dropped and exploded (I think) near Biggin Hill. Granted there was 25 bombers in formation so probably around 300-500 bombs going off, I think the freeze was because the bombs actually hit some of those huge fuel containers near London. I didn't check the .mis to see for sure, but if that's the case (the large fuel containers) the bomb drop just needs to be moved a bit and everything should be ok.

All the way to target, escorting and up to the time the bombs actually exploded there was never a pause, freeze, anything etc. It was smooth as silk for me.

The other issue I ran into was many of the spawn points, at least for the German Fighters, were bugged. Those tiny hangers by the coastal fields need to have a static object of some sort put in the hanger slab of concrete to avoid planes spawning in those areas.

I noticed a few of the guys on the chat bar requesting for grid locations for call outs. Some people don't know where the names of towns are etc. But other than those little things, the mission ran great. And it was a lot of fun for the hour or so I could play it.

Thanks for all the work on this! :bravo:

PS - I'm not working tomorrow so I should be able to make sure your mission is running during peak hours for a good test. I'll try to find you if you are around.

Kling
Oct-11-2013, 03:21
and @Reddog

When I played it today there was around 50 players on. I noticed a massive freeze after the initial huge flight of Do17's bombs had dropped and exploded (I think) near Biggin Hill. Granted there was 25 bombers in formation so probably around 300-500 bombs going off.

25-30bombers in one formation!!!!???
This sounds awesome! Bliss is this something that can be looked at for the other missions as well?

SoW Reddog
Oct-11-2013, 03:38
Haha - wondered if anyone would find that raid!

I never got as far in my testing of finding out what happened when the dorniers dropped! I will set at least one of those flights to have no bombs I think. They don't hit a "target" as such - in the sense of a static target, so I think it's probably just the sheer number of bombs going off at the same time.

With regards to the spawn points, I'm fully expecting a raft of complaints on those. If people can post Airfield name, and which point(s) are bugged it would be a help, as you can't test them all solo (at least I'm not going to try!)

Lastly, yes I can add coords to all messages in brackets after the name, so "Hawkinge (AB12)" for example. However, I'd really suggest that people start to get used to the landscape and geography they're flying over! :)

92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)
Oct-11-2013, 04:08
Lastly, yes I can add coords to all messages in brackets after the name, so "Hawkinge (AB12)" for example. However, I'd really suggest that people start to get used to the landscape and geography they're flying over! :)

Can you trim the length of the RADAR messages a bit?
Perhaps replacing "miles" with "m" and "north east" with "NE", for example?
I had to widen my info window to see the radar reports so wide that it took up 1/3 of my screen.

SoW Reddog
Oct-11-2013, 04:59
Can you trim the length of the RADAR messages a bit?
Perhaps replacing "miles" with "m" and "north east" with "NE", for example?
I had to widen my info window to see the radar reports so wide that it took up 1/3 of my screen.

Get a bigger screen.:P

Yes, I'll look at it. I didn't write the code for the RDF so I need to get my head round it. At the moment it's a copy paste job with a few edits to tie to the mission file.