PDA

View Full Version : Ilya 10:47 PM KS Forum

Old_Canuck
Oct-10-2013, 02:48
Creator Ilya Shevchenko about 1 hour ago
Hey everybody!
Sven: We're kind of on the fence about this. By the way, you guys are really sharp. You pick up on important questions just about as soon as we do, and sometimes even earlier.
This is the very strange nature of the modular structure of the project.
What is DCS WWII? Surely it's the sum of all its parts, and taking the parts away destroys the whole? If seen this way, it's natural to sit on the planes that are ready, only make them available to kickstarter backers in alpha-beta, and launch another pledge drive for the B-17 in the interim.
But on the other hand, why not just release one or more of the new DCS WWII planes into DCS World, and use those funds to make the flyable B-17 instead?
This is something that requires a much larger backer-wide discussion I guess. We'll have it in a little while. In any case, we're months away from having any planes ready for release.
MP: I see multiplayer as a huge, huge part of any product's success. However it's not just the net code. It's the interface, the game modes, mission design, a gazillion components. Those of you who go back to the beginning of my early series will probably agree that the MP in Oleg's first flight sim was the bomb. It was so because Oleg had just created two absolutely amazing MP modes for his award-winning FPS titles (virtually unknown in the West, idolized alongside the likes of Doom and Duke3D in Russia). He had a whole crew of experienced MP programmers and designers that spent almost two years ironing out all the kinks.
So, we definitely have a long list of things we want to improve with multiplayer, but if we were to consider doing them for day 1 release of DCS WWII, we'd probably need to double our budget.
Since we didn't, the only thing I can really promise is that we'll try.
Also, trueSky looks really cool, but we're far too commited to making our own clouds and weather system to switch horses mid-jump.
Hopefully the stuff you'll see there will compare favorably to that video.
And regarding the Flight Sim show, we really should be doing a lot more stuff like that. There's always something happening somewhere, and a booth and some product boxes is a great thing to have. Unfortunately we just have no resources to attend most of them, no people to arrange and set up and man a booth, literally no one. So for the time being we'll probably just do a few major airshows, especially those connected with TFC and Duxford.

PFT_Endy
Oct-10-2013, 08:38
I wouldn't worry so much about clouds etc. It seems Edge is capable of drawing them in a much nicer way than the current DCS engine:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1900599&postcount=2

9./JG52 Jamz Dackel
Oct-10-2013, 08:47
And the twist n turns begin...

=BKHZ=Furbs
Oct-10-2013, 14:34
Interesting.

Tempered
Oct-14-2013, 21:35
I had assumed that selling the planes as modules for DCS was already a given and figured into their accounting for the project. At least any of the non-free planes.