PDA

View Full Version : Friday Update - October 11th 2013 - The route to patch v4.00 ;)

Mysticpuma
Oct-11-2013, 02:49
Let me start by saying I wasn’t sure how to approach this update. I had an idea for a video, then an idea for an image…and then I thought what the heck; let’s make it a detailed update about the forthcoming patch.

So as you know over the past months, behind the scenes a vast amount of work has been going on to improve Cliffs of Dover and make the nest step along its evolutionary path.

When we got together and built the first patch (Team Fusion patch v3.00), we had done an amazing job of righting many wrongs that were still present when development was abandoned so prematurely in its life cycle. In truth, as much as we had done, it was barely a scratch in the surface of the huge potential that awaits this much maligned piece of software.

So Patch v3.00 hit the forums followed by a very small hotfix…and the community went wild. Flight Models that allowed accurate altitudes and speeds, stalls were corrected, contrails filled the skies….the detailed improvements were a huge difference……but it wasn’t enough. Still issues persisted, aircraft still vanished at too close a distance, clouds popped into view and barely filled the sky, aircraft skins were still not accurate, maps were never changing, always British summertime, grass too green, there were many, many unresolved issues.

Well behind those scenes in the closed forums we have raised issues, closed issues, opened new ones, discussed long standing bugs, found new areas of code, fixed those areas, built on their foundations and steadily advanced to where we are today with the Patch TFv4.00
Now as much as I’d like to chip in with “it’ll be two-weeks”…I’m not that cruel ;)

Over the last few-weeks it’s be noticeable that there has been on the forums a sense of anticipation but also frustration as to not knowing the timeline for the release. This hasn’t been intentional. Seriously behind the scenes huge amounts of testing has been going on making sure that all parts of this next patch work together and give you, the player, the best. Most authentic experience possible from the current development point we have reached.

It’s really important that we thank all of you forum users for your patience and understanding. The information you have provided and feedback to the Friday updates has certainly spurred us on and shown that there is a great interest in the work we are doing and will continue to do.
Also there are a group of beta testers who really have been put to the test in working through laborious testing of new FM’s/DM’s over and over and over again. But all have done an amazing job and their contribution to Team Fusion’s fixes can’t be understated.

Team Fusion is made up solely of volunteers, all unpaid and doing this for fun. We have no affiliation with any of the original development team and therefore no help in working out how the jigsaw blocks of code are put together. All of this is worked out by some truly talented minds who (I make the assumption) see things like Neo did at the end of the first Matrix film!

Every one of us does this in our own spare time. We all have other personal commitments as you do, but we see CloD as the most advanced WW2 Combat simulation software currently available. It has so much potential it would be a travesty to leave it in such an under-developed state. At times I’m sure it may appear like we are dragging our feet, but nothing is further from the truth, This really is a spare time project, a hobby taken on by a group of dedicated Flight Sim enthusiasts who want to have the best time with CloD and share that experience with the rest of the Community,
So, back to today’s update.

The last few weeks have been a truly exciting experience in the Team Fusion private forums. Each tiny advance has been added as slowly the Patch has been assembled.

Over the previous months, we’d have an idea, one of the guys would test it, make it work, then we’d complain, they’d tweak it, we’d love it…and on and on. A lot of the fixes are visual and easy to spot, others are so subtle but again have to be worked through, coded, tweaked, re-tweaked….the process has seemed endless and that is why the patch has taken so long due to intense quality control. What would be the point in releasing a patch after all these months, only for it to fall down on first testing!

So the various departments have been fixing, improving, tweaking, editing, building, coding, testing and as each has been ticked off the list, they are added to the final compile software.

So today we’re announcing the way we hope the patch is going to reach you in the next few-days.

This weekend every part of the upcoming patch is set to be compiled into the final release candidate patch. This is made up of everything that has been previously tested, seen to be working correctly and passed up the chain to be compiled into the final patch.

Once this is done, it will be shared between team Fusion and the close nit group of chosen Beta testers. Everything is expected to work (honestly it really is).

Testing will continue until next-Wednesday and if all has gone according to plan, TF v4.00 readme will hit the forums, detailing everything that will be in this patch.

On Thursday a short promo video will be released, picking out some of the highlights of the patch as a taster for the week’s finale, TF v4.00 going live on October 18th.

I have to add, this is the route we fully expect to take BUT if during testing we hit a ‘Show-stopper’ bug, it may be delayed, however lots of testing has been carried out and we are not expecting this!

So, get your F5 keys ready for October 18th, that is expected to be release day and may I/we say once more, thank you for your patience ;)

On a final note, having seen the huge advances made in the last month by our modeller’s and coders TF v5.00 is going to be immense….I’m on the inside and already I’m excited about what the future holds…..it really is going to be worth sticking around…….big things will be happening ;)

Cheers MP/TF

Pitti
Oct-11-2013, 03:05
So this time only one week instead of two? :D ;)

Great News! Thanks. :)

HaJa
Oct-11-2013, 03:08
Great news fellas and congratulations on a stellar work :salute:

Kling
Oct-11-2013, 03:11
Great post MP!

ATAG_Snapper
Oct-11-2013, 03:14
A wonderful update, MP!!!! :woohoo:

Falco
Oct-11-2013, 03:26
Fantastic news, thanks for the update MP :flying2:

Screamadelica
Oct-11-2013, 03:44
Thanks MP. Great news, can't wait! What with the DCSWW2 kickstarter success and now this...WOW! Thanks to all the Team for all your hard work. :thumbsup:

RupertVonHentzau
Oct-11-2013, 03:57
I love you ALL (in a decent way) :thumbsup:

Manoxerox
Oct-11-2013, 04:00
Thank you Mysticpuma!! Who said that a picture tells more than thousand words??:coffeeyes:

Tvrdi
Oct-11-2013, 04:01
Fantastic news! Cant thank you enough for making CLOD what its supposed to be....No1 sim on the market...

92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)
Oct-11-2013, 04:11
this is good news. I'll admit, I thought the patch was going to be out today, but still it's great that everyone has some greater certainty now about release, and an extra week is fine - I don't think I could bear "two weeks" as an estimate!

Black
Oct-11-2013, 04:50
Awesome news! :thumbsup:

Meaks
Oct-11-2013, 04:59
Excellent news,thanks to all TF members,bring on next Friday :salute:

archer11
Oct-11-2013, 05:08
Thanks a lot! You guys are really great. Thanks for all the work!

E.F.HARTMANN
Oct-11-2013, 05:11
Really excellent updated.: Satisfait:
A big thank you for all that you carried​​.

MadTommy
Oct-11-2013, 05:22
TF... big man love coming your way!!

This is what i have been waiting for.. no more screenshots, no more videos.. but real tangible news!

http://www.pictures88.com/p/hugs/hugs_046.jpg

Salmo
Oct-11-2013, 05:50
<snip> Team Fusion is made up solely of volunteers, all unpaid and doing this for fun. We have no affiliation with any of the original development team and therefore no help in working out how the jigsaw blocks of code are put together. All of this is worked out by some truly talented minds who (I make the assumption) see things like Neo did at the end of the first Matrix film!<snip>

You assumed correctly MP. Personally, I'm deep into reading & changing the native hex files in order to manipulate hard-coded map objects. It's a whole new world at that level! I don't see the construct any more, all I see is blonde, brunette, redhead ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vAnuBtyEYE

92Sqn.Strings (GZ-O)
Oct-11-2013, 05:54
An excellent post, review, precursor, announcement and its time to spend the week tossing and turning in sleepless nights and long drawn out days with the excitement and expectation of the culmination of the magnificent endeavors of those disposed to volunteer their moments of leisure to the advancement of the enjoyment of the masses.
I have said before and now again am inclined,nay compelled to repeat my self
never in the history of Flight Sims have the many held such gratitude to the few

:salute:

Strings

trooph
Oct-11-2013, 06:00
Fantastic news and I hope everything goes well and we will be able to hit the skies in 4.0 next week!

ATAG_Lewis
Oct-11-2013, 06:04
Thanks to all involved.....giving something like this to our community...Its brilliant...

~S~

9./ZG26Eicken
Oct-11-2013, 06:07
Sounds good, shall clear my date book...

Ptsshh I don't have a date book :(

Pato Salvaje
Oct-11-2013, 06:42
A really big big THANK YOU all TF!

Great news, an I hope brilliant future ;)
keep it coming!

DUI
Oct-11-2013, 06:52
A huge thanks for the status update - a great text to read, written very passionatly and informativly!

Though being disappointed that it will take another week as I already prepared myself for the patch this week; basically, already for last week; even already for a couple of weeks ago. Of course, mainly a result of unexpected bugs showing their ugly face but for some degree also a result of very cryptic time estimations. What was there to lose if you had already announced last weekend that the patch wouldn't see light this Friday?

LcSummers
Oct-11-2013, 07:04
Great news!!

Without you (TF) i would have deinstalled CLOD. Thanks to you guys i have it on my HDD.
So why should i be frustrated when the patch is not released. There is no reason for me. I have to honour all you TF guys. You all working so hard and making not a good you are makingthe best job here for us.

Thank you very much

Great job:thumbsup:

LC

Mysticpuma
Oct-11-2013, 07:04
Hi DUI.
What was there to lose?
Trust, respect, confidence, face!

The above update is an honest reflection of what was and has been going on behind the scenes. Last Friday the 18th of October wasn't even being considered, so we couldn't announce it.

It s only down to the superb team.effort that has brought the patch together so quickly that next week has become an.option.

Realistically, we could carry on adding more and more...and never release a patch publically, but at some point you have to draw a line, collate and compile all the working features and then step.forward.

So to answer your initial question again, we don't want to give a date when we have no idea if will will attain it and secondly we couldn't announce it last-week as we didn't have a date nailed down.

Anyway, as you know now, we really are almost there ;)

Keep the faith, cheers, MP

310_cibule
Oct-11-2013, 07:08
Thanks to all involved in the TF. You do a great job.

9./JG52 Jamz Dackel
Oct-11-2013, 07:11
Hi DUI.
What was there to lose?
Trust, respect, confidence, face!

The above update is an honest reflection of what was and has been going on behind the scenes. Last Friday the 18th of October wasn't even being considered, so we couldn't announce it.

It s only down to the superb team.effort that has brought the patch together so quickly that next week has become an.option.

Realistically, we could carry on adding more and more...and never release a patch publically, but at some point you have to draw a line, collate and compile all the working features and then step.forward.

So to answer your initial question again, we don't want to give a date when we have no idea if will will attain it and secondly we couldn't announce it last-week as we didn't have a date nailed down.

Anyway, as you know now, we really are almost there ;)

Keep the faith, cheers, MP

MP, I may be wrong here but I think he is asking why last week you couldn't of let people know it WOULDNT be out this week. I'm guessing a lot of people were under the impression that it would be out this week so maybe a timeline then would of been welcomed. Personally I think people are forgetting you were lets say not feeling your best last week but there we go... Its always the same with patches, you cant please everyone all the time

DUI
Oct-11-2013, 07:19
MP, you got me wrong. I think to anounce specific release dates without knowing for sure that they can be kept is the worst thing for all. I still have an "end of August/beginning of September" release information in my head. ;)

What I wanted to say: I much prefer statements like "not within the next x days/weeks/months" over announcements like "we are almost there" or "finally, we are almost there". Personally, I regard this the more respectful way of communication with less disappointment involved. I mean, you probably already knew two weeks ago that it won't be last week, and last week that it won't be this week.

Edit: Yes, yes, exactly how Jamz interpreted my post.

dburne
Oct-11-2013, 07:26
Fantastic update, many thanks to all the TF members involved in this process - for their passion, hard work, and dedication to continually improving this fantastic sim!
I am very excited about the possibility of seeing this latest update next weekend!

No.401_Alpine
Oct-11-2013, 07:31
Thank you for all of the hard work TF.

II./JG1_Baron
Oct-11-2013, 07:43
Oh God, why another week yet???? :D Cant wait - keep in excellent work guys you have my respect! :salute:

AKA_Recon
Oct-11-2013, 07:49
MP, you got me wrong. I think to anounce specific release dates without knowing for sure that they can be kept is the worst thing for all. I still have an "end of August/beginning of September" release information in my head. ;)

What I wanted to say: I much prefer statements like "not within the next x days/weeks/months" over announcements like "we are almost there" or "finally, we are almost there". Personally, I regard this the more respectful way of communication with less disappointment involved. I mean, you probably already knew two weeks ago that it won't be last week, and last week that it won't be this week.

Edit: Yes, yes, exactly how Jamz interpreted my post.

When you have a large software base with many moving parts and no true source code or any documentation, there are often times things come up when testing that require some rework. ie. you change one piece, it works well, then you find out inadvertently another piece has an issue. The cycle here is repeated over and over again. Decisions are made into what is acceptable that can be addressed later or what is a mission critical.

Honestly, I don't think anyone deserves anything here. There is no money exchange, it's all done for the love of the game. Everyone has a day job, some have kids, families ,etc...

Let me say, that personally, when we have a 'date' that is put out there, it's always an estimate. And quite honestly, when people come back and question that date, it makes the developers not even want to give dates if they are held to the fire on it. It's all estimation at best. Again, see above paragraph.

MP did a well job explaining, and it's very clear that even going forward if there is anything in the RC that is deemed unacceptable, then the team will go through the same cycle again. I know everyone gets excited and want it yesterday, but they would also be disappointed things didn't go well.

No matter how much you do, there will be things that arise. I wouldn't be surprised if you saw another '4.01'. That is just how software development goes.

Let's not ask 'why didn't you do something' - instead say 'thanks for what you do and we support you' - I think that would be appropriate.

I know personally I'm really excited to 4.0 and I'm excited for the future, and I want to thank the hard work and time commitment this team puts into things - it's really great to see!

9./JG52 Ziegler
Oct-11-2013, 07:55
Thank you MP and the rest of the Team. As much as I'm psyched for BOS and maybe DCS WW2, this too, as much as any excites my old adrenal gland.
I only wish I was more of a computer geek that I have become in regards to programing (just barely can use Target for my Warthog) :(. Modeling, well, sadly not even sure what that involves. I guess what I'm rambling about is my appreciation for those who do have these skills and have donated their time as members of TF. Believe me when I tell you that time is the ultimate donation, the skills go without saying. Like all of us here I love this sim. I really enjoy the friends I have made using it. Our little community is a great place for me so again, thanks to all of you and the testers and I hope I can contribute something as we move forwad. :thumbsup:

No601_Merlin
Oct-11-2013, 07:58
Thanks all at TF, looking forward to this

S!

Ohms
Oct-11-2013, 08:11
Too all involved I would like to say thank you. What you have all done with this game is truly fantastic and without your efforts this game and community would have long vanished.
I feel a little guilty in having my name in green as i have had nothing too do with the efforts of the beta team. So to all those guys who fixed the code and the folks who flew around and around and around testing which can be boring as hell thank you.

Ohmie

DUI
Oct-11-2013, 08:17
[...]Let me say, that personally, when we have a 'date' that is put out there, it's always an estimate. And quite honestly, when people come back and question that date, it makes the developers not even want to give dates if they are held to the fire on it. It's all estimation at best. Again, see above paragraph.[...]

Must be some sort of a language barrier - I will give it up.

Mysticpuma
Oct-11-2013, 08:46
Hi DUI, I see what you are asking for now, but it's not that easy to work out even from what you we can see going on behind the scenes.
The problem.is a balance of information against revealing too much but also not making the updates worthwhile....the tightrope is a difficult one to balance!

Last-week no update was forth-coming but a couple of guys stepped up to the plate while I was recovering From surgery and please understand too that last-week we didn't really want to.detract from. Ilya's Kickstarter campaign.
It would be easy to not offer any updates and just say "We'll let you know when it's done" but the nature of interest is exactly the opposite of that so we want to keep people interested but obviously we don't want to give all the info. out in one go as that have people thinking no development was going on.

All I can say is that the next patch (v.5.00) details will be sparse over at-least the next month as we'll no doubt be helping people fix and tweak.any issues they discover with v4.00, as-well.as deciding which way to go with the next update.
I can say as I did before in my OP, patch v5.00 is already being looked at and workload being decided on...but it will be a huge change and a Patch that will offer many things to many people... ;)

v4.00 will keep a lot of people happy though for many months to come ;)

Cheers, MP

Manoxerox
Oct-11-2013, 09:04
With this and more I am with Team Fusion and their way to do things.
Why speak if words can be (even unintentionally) wrong or even tell a lie.
To prove my point: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGksgZKecKE
:cheers:

Mastiff
Oct-11-2013, 09:15
Well DUI If I recall a couple people did say 2 weeks.

ChiefRedCloud
Oct-11-2013, 09:16
What ever time it takes, thanks to all for their efforts and hard work .....:thumbsup:

56RAF_klem
Oct-11-2013, 09:30
Well DUI If I recall a couple people did say 2 weeks.

Well, I remember "2 weeks" being the standing joke around here. Never take it seriously.

DUI
Oct-11-2013, 09:33
All I can say is that the next patch (v.5.00) details will be sparse over at-least the next month [...]

Totally fine with me as I will be busy flying 4.0! ;)

71st_AH_Vertigo
Oct-11-2013, 09:47
Yaaaay

You guys are the greatest..!!!

V

ATAG_Freya
Oct-11-2013, 09:48
Thankyou MP, Team Fusion, Beta testers! I hope I don't get hit by a bus on thursday. Cause friday could be GREAT!:snoopy: Thanks for all your hard work, you guys are AWESOME!

Cheers,
Freya

Meusli
Oct-11-2013, 10:06
Anticipation at maximum level.

EG14_Marcast
Oct-11-2013, 10:36
There are no words to express all our thankfulness for what you guys at TF are doing for all of us.

Drstrangelove109
Oct-11-2013, 11:10
Just a noob here wanting to let you guys know that I appreciate everything you have done thus far. I too had "Uninstalled" this game until you guys came along with your fantastic V3.00 update to this game. While I primarily play the single player mode right now, I may venture to join you guys on line when I feel I am good enough at some point in the future.

But anyways, I wanted to thank the team for all your hard work and efforts and I am really looking forward to the next update.

Best of luck and thank you!

Dr. Strangelove

ATAG_Colander
Oct-11-2013, 11:19
One thing is sure. There will be a lot of modding vacations between 4.0 and 5.0 but they are also waiting for the release date :)

Faustnik
Oct-11-2013, 12:02
Thanks for all your work!

Can not wait!!!!

Birdflu
Oct-11-2013, 12:21
Nice! Good Job. Thank you for your hard work.:thumbsup:

Mattias
Oct-11-2013, 12:46
One thing is sure. There will be a lot of modding vacations between 4.0 and 5.0 but they are also waiting for the release date :)

+1
We all been granted a 10 days leave :)

Wolfskid
Oct-11-2013, 12:47
Hi MysticPuma,

better a little bit more of WAITING,
as a SIM of CONFUSING....:)

Again, THANK YOU VERY MUCH to ALL who was/ is involved.......

And a great and quite Time for ALL, after release....:bsign:....:alcohol::iloveu:, ALL

Wolfskid

LuseKofte
Oct-11-2013, 13:42
I am looking forward to this, I am used to waiting for mods in IL2, I never expect anything until it is published.
When it is I enjoy it and show my gratitude for it. You guys got my deepest respect for what you are doing

Zisi
Oct-11-2013, 13:52
Thanks TF for all your hard work, I think I speak for everyone (even as a developer myself) in how surprised we are that you guys have been able to accomplish so much without the source. It must be rewarding to know that the reason this community exists on CLoD, and the reason there are populated servers at all, is thanks to your work.

ATAG_Bliss
Oct-11-2013, 14:03
The 1st TF patch with hot fix was around 380mb in size.

4.0 will probably be well over 2.0 gigabytes. That should give everyone a little idea as to just how much work and content is coming. It's worth the wait :D

Be prepared to have a new game all over again :)

Taxman
Oct-11-2013, 14:27
Thanks TF, and MP. Will need to wait until the 20th to check out the realease, :recon:. It's my sweeties BD weekend coming up, and we would be back until the 20th:D

ATAG_JTDawg
Oct-11-2013, 14:32
:thumbsup: :) :(: woohoo: an a thank you

ATAG_Naz
Oct-11-2013, 16:52
Excellent update MP. Thanks to all at TF.

Have a feeling the interwebs might melt with everyone trying to download the patch next week.
:)

ATAG_NakedSquirrel
Oct-11-2013, 17:56
2 weeks? :)

=OT=RO
Oct-11-2013, 18:26
Happy,Happy,Happy!!!:D:thumbsup::)

midge
Oct-11-2013, 20:24
Yes my sweetness, my life--the 18th,you say-- want to visit your mother[ oh look a angry she bear rampaging]---a weekend alone on my own---no no you must go--i insist.
--- OOOOOH YES :)IT'S PARTY TIME!--IT'S PARTY TIME!

VMF214_Jupp
Oct-11-2013, 22:40

I am sure it will be a masterpiece. We applaud your efforts Team Fusion. Thank You!

Ioshic
Oct-12-2013, 04:23
Great news. And thank you guys

:salute:

Skoshi_Tiger
Oct-12-2013, 05:44
Thanks for the heads-up MP, and my thanks for all the hard work and effort goes to all the members of TF and the Beta testers!

Unfortunately I'll have to wait untill late on the 19th before even thinking about getting any updates. While the rest of the community is living in a state of 'Siming Nirvana', I will be chaperoning a group of high school students on their graduation camp! (God! What was I thinking! Take this as a word of warning - NEVER, repeat, NEVER volunteer for anything! )

I expect when I return I shall need a stiff drink while I wait for the patch to download!

Thank you once again!

Blitzen
Oct-12-2013, 11:46
I'll be there for the 4.0 & I'll come with another donation for all that you've done to continue to make this my go-to flight sim!:thumbsup:

Oersted
Oct-13-2013, 08:34
The team is allowed to guesstimate as much as it wants regarding dates, and fans have no right whatsoever to demand anything or be miffed when a date passes BECAUSE THIS IS A VOLUNTEER EFFORT! some people should really get that into their heads. Just be happy with what you get, it is all a bonus from now on.

Looking forward to the patch! Grazie mille, Danke Schön, muchas gracias, mange tak, muito obrigado Team Fusion!

We really should have a Kickstarter to reward the team with crates of great Belgian beer or something... :-D Or maybe a Team Fusion Appreciation Medal! TFAM gold class, TFAM silver class, etc... :-D

I am just dreaming of playing this with the consumer version of Oculus Rift when that kit comes out in a hi-rez version... - Let's say for TF patch v.6.0!

SIDWULF
Oct-13-2013, 14:33
Wonderful exciting post.

Cliffs Of Dover is an unpolished diamond in a deep layer of bedrock.

fischbs
Oct-13-2013, 14:36
GREAT post! Tremendously excited! I've been holding off on booting up CloD until TF v4.00 comes out. I'm really looking forward to flying with you guys again -- in high def.

Salute! And watch your six!

I_B_Spectre
Oct-14-2013, 11:59
I wish to thank those behind the effort to turn this sim into what we hoped it would have been at release. I cannot imagine the obstacles that have to be overcome when you don't have developer insight with the coding and construction. To assemble a group of knowledgeable enthusiasts to tackle this in their spare time with no remuneration as a pure labor of love is mind boggling. I salute everyone involved and thank you for your selfless devotion to making our past time better than ever. Good on you all!:salute: