PDA

View Full Version : Turn - it - up!

RAF74_Buzzsaw
Oct-11-2013, 16:12
Salute All

One of the biggest improvements which is coming with the patch is the improvement in LOD's and being able to spot the enemy. (thanks to one of our resident genius's... Mattias. :thumbsup:)

But besides the combat improvement you will see, it also means the handicap which has been imposed on the game from the beginning, ie. having to turn down the resolution to be able to see the opponent... NO LONGER APPLIES.

So we all say to you: When you get the patch, and if you've got a CPU/Video Card which can handle it, TURN IT UP.

Turn up the resolution and eye candy, enjoy what the game is capable of offering, because now the higher the res, the better you see.

Cheers Buzzsaw

ATAG_JTDawg
Oct-11-2013, 17:26
;) salute

Meaks
Oct-11-2013, 17:36
Great stuff,good show,and a big salute to Mattias and the boys at TF :salute:

9./JG52 Jamz Dackel
Oct-11-2013, 17:51
Its never been turned down :) :salute:

ATAG_Snapper
Oct-11-2013, 17:52
This is great, Buzzsaw! For many of us, as you know, this has been the No. 1 issue with Cliffs of Dover. Thanks for posting this, thanks to Mattias for squishing this bug, and a huge thanks to Team Fusion for ALL the tremendous work they've done!

Snapper :salute:

Dutch
Oct-11-2013, 18:08
I've never flown the game on anything else but native resolution at 1920x1080. I fully intend to remain at that resolution.

Being able to actually see the 109s could mean I will finally get some kills. :D

Excellent news Buzz. Thanks. :thumbsup:

LRRP
Oct-11-2013, 18:31
2560 x 1600 here I come at last!! THANKS GUY'S

gavagai
Oct-11-2013, 18:33
Yes! It's my #1 issue with Clod. Release this LoD fix with all due haste!

TURK_Enlem
Oct-11-2013, 19:23
Also, number: 1 problem in my book. Excellent news!..
Thanks...

dburne
Oct-11-2013, 21:03
Wow that is awesome guys!! I am still fairly new and offline player running at 1920x1080, but have certainly read where this was a big issue especially for the online flyers. Amazing that you were able to fix, what previously the developer could not... great news!

trooph
Oct-12-2013, 02:10
Wonderful news!!!!!

Continu0
Oct-12-2013, 02:38
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees!

ATAG_Lewis
Oct-12-2013, 08:18
This has always been my biggest problem ingame and has left me at a disadvantage since I started playing...Even now I still see approaching aircraft vanish mid dogfight giving me no option but to disengage and run because my foe is suddenly invisible to me....I often give it a few seconds before I run just to see if for any reason he re-appears and if not then I dive...In short I am saying that this problem for me has totally altered the way I had to fly in order to be able to not be shot down as often and stay competitive...I tried many fixes including different monitors and resolutions with no joy...

For me this is the biggest single thing I can think of that will influence my game....I thank anyone involved with trying to rectify this problem for the few unfortunates that have it....

I look forward to this next patch as if it were a long awaited new game release....

...lew...

Skoshi_Tiger
Oct-12-2013, 08:45
Guess I'll need a new graphics card ..... and a monitor that can go above 1680x1050 ..... and a new computer to run it all!

What HAVE you guys done!!!!!!

:doh:

Tvrdi
Oct-12-2013, 08:51
I've never flown the game on anything else but native resolution at 1920x1080. I fully intend to remain at that resolution.

Being able to actually see the 109s could mean I will finally get some kills. :D

Excellent news Buzz. Thanks. :thumbsup:

Hey Dutch, Im using simmilar res (1920x1200) and I have almost all to med...except model detail and textures are set to high. No grass and no shadows. Vsync on and in Nvidia CP texture filtering quality is set to performance. AA is from injectors. And with all that I have smooth gameplay only offline. On ATAG it gets sometimes slow when more planes are in the air. Then again my ping is somewhere around 140. On repka server was better. But there are only air units and less pl online....
my rig is:
i7920 OC to 3.6Ghz
6GB RAM (~1333Mhz)
GTX 660Ti 2GB VRAM

trooph
Oct-12-2013, 09:16
May i ask what about dots visibility? Did something changed in that matter?

Foul Ole Ron
Oct-12-2013, 09:54
Great news. I always played at 1920x1200 as it's just too damn pretty to lower the resolution. This release is going to be a big help for us lot who're greedy for eye candy. Now if TF could just patch my flying ability I'd be all set.

Kling
Oct-12-2013, 11:12
May i ask what about dots visibility? Did something changed in that matter?

what do you mean? For me the problem was never seeing the dots in the distance but rather that once I started flying towards it, it would flicker and disappear at ca 1-2km and if you dont know where to expect it, it would be lost and maybe ending up on your tail without you seeing it.

It should be hard to see dots, or single fighters rather, almost impossible at over 8km. Bomber formations were always easier to spot, as expected :)

trooph
Oct-12-2013, 12:06
what do you mean? For me the problem was never seeing the dots in the distance but rather that once I started flying towards it, it would flicker and disappear at ca 1-2km and if you dont know where to expect it, it would be lost and maybe ending up on your tail without you seeing it.

It should be hard to see dots, or single fighters rather, almost impossible at over 8km. Bomber formations were always easier to spot, as expected :)

Just a question :) I was just wondering if there would be some changes to this aswell thats all :)

XE9O
Oct-12-2013, 13:58
:-):):)

Gix
Oct-12-2013, 14:28
because now the higher the res, the better you see.

Cheers Buzzsaw

Even with down sampling ?
because, up to now, at higher res than 1920, it was very difficult to see the far away planes (when they looks just like a dot in the blue sky...)

Catseye
Oct-12-2013, 16:14
I can confirm what Buzzsaw is saying two-fold. One for the DOTS and one for the LOD.

For years I've had to fly at a much lower resolution to spot dots - partly because of some eye constraints. During recent testing I've been able to fly at 1920 x 1080 with everything turned up and have relished seeing dots at distance and finally sorting out targets over the ground. And my vid card is a 570.

Now the LOD works great! No more disappearing dot in the transition to an aircraft image!!

Mattias
Oct-12-2013, 19:24
Even with down sampling ?
because, up to now, at higher res than 1920, it was very difficult to see the far away planes (when they looks just like a dot in the blue sky...)

:salute:

Dots will still be dots and if you have a small monitor and high resolution they will still be hard to see. The guy using the 42" will always have the upper hand :D

Stig1207
Oct-13-2013, 01:48
Thanks guys, I'm really looking forward to this improving my ability to spot enemy aircraft.

I do see a possible downside though. I have this nagging feeling that the enemy's ability to spot me is also going to be improved.:D

PFT_Endy
Oct-13-2013, 04:03
:salute:

Dots will still be dots and if you have a small monitor and high resolution they will still be hard to see. The guy using the 42" will always have the upper hand :D

Erm, so just to make sure, nothing was tweaked with dots visibility and they're still the same size/contrast and all the changes relate to LOD models when aircraft are closer yes? I guess that unfortunately means it's still better to use lower resolution to see dots better...

ATAG_Bliss
Oct-13-2013, 04:16
Erm, so just to make sure, nothing was tweaked with dots visibility and they're still the same size/contrast and all the changes relate to LOD models when aircraft are closer yes? I guess that unfortunately means it's still better to use lower resolution to see dots better...

Well it's confusing, because the dots are still dots. The difference is instead of a dot / vanishing dot, etc., happening while in a fight or even quite a ways from a fight etc., instead of a dot, there's actually an LOD now. So at distance, and I mean, over 5km away, you'll see a dot just like other games. But in the area around you (the big problem area most of us have) you will actually see a plane shown as an LOD. It's honestly night and day difference. But no, the planes that are 10km away aren't going to jump out at you as big blobs on the screen. The one's that are all around you will though. If that makes sense.

PFT_Endy
Oct-13-2013, 04:20
Yeah I know Bliss, that's a huge improvement over what there is now, the vanishing planes have been a plague for too long and I've seen on one of the update movies how visible now the plane models are and how they contrast with the background.
I'm just saying that with my poor eyesight I'll still need to use the same res as ever (1680x1050) to have a decent chance at spotting dots as usual, and I'll not be able to up the res like some recommend.

ATAG_Bliss
Oct-13-2013, 04:26
Yeah I know Bliss, that's a huge improvement over what there is now, the vanishing planes have been a plague for too long and I've seen on one of the update movies how visible now the plane models are and how they contrast with the background.
I'm just saying that with my poor eyesight I'll still need to use the same res as ever (1680x1050) to have a decent chance at spotting dots as usual, and I'll not be able to up the res like some recommend.

Actually you would think that, but with the color changes of the sky, the ground, the atmosphere, coupled with the dot colors now, you'll probably see better the higher resolution you use tbh. Lots of stuff has changed since that video.

Edit: I was using your res (1600 x 1200) basically to see better myself. In the beta, I cranked it up to 2650x1600, and everything popped out at me. There's a few that can't even play 3.01 anymore because of it (that improvement alone).

PFT_Endy
Oct-13-2013, 05:03
Hmmm, well it won't hurt me to test stuff once the patch is out, thanks for the tip anyway :)

Kling
Oct-13-2013, 08:02
Hmmm, well it won't hurt me to test stuff once the patch is out, thanks for the tip anyway :)

I think you will pleasantly surprised Endy!
On the other hand, a game producer cannot/should not prioritize to code a game for people with bad eye sight. I would say that the problem is not the game but the bad eyesight ;)
(Not sure how to say that without sounding cruel).
But chances are that if you struggle to see contacts in the game, you would most certainly struggle in real life as well ;) so its probably realistic! ;)

My eyesight is still superb but im 33 and i will start losing it slowly within the next years however :( Well thats how life works...

As Bliss said, colours have changed dramatically in TF 4.0 so contacts do stick out better!

PFT_Endy
Oct-13-2013, 08:43
The eyesight was more of a figure of speech, I wear eyeglasses but it's not that bad :) I'm able to see contacts fairly well, but found that 1680x1050 is the max I can go. At 1920x1200 the looks are better but it handicaps me with dots spotting a bit.

I agree, the dots should stay as they are, they are meant to be difficult to spot, I don't argue with that :) I was just saying that despite the better visibility of lods up close I will need to see if upping the res is feasible, so that I don't hamper my ability to spot contacts. It's just personal preference imo if you want to sacrifice some of the looks for better far contacts spotting. I'll just have to see how it is with the new patch, perhaps it is as Bliss says, the contrast/colors also affect dots and will enable to me to up the res.

Anyway, I'll be happy to test it for myself, perhaps I'll change my mind :)

gavagai
Oct-13-2013, 12:10
But chances are that if you struggle to see contacts in the game, you would most certainly struggle in real life as well ;) so its probably realistic! ;)

No, I am near-sighted, so I can see the pixels on a computer screen very well. If you put me in a real aircraft without my glasses I would be hopeless at spotting long distance contacts. Likewise, someone who is far-sighted might have a very hard time with spotting pixels, but do very well in at spotting distance objects in "real life."

ATAG_Snapper
Oct-13-2013, 12:35
I was having trouble using my progressive bifocals while flying Cliffs of Dover.

Reason: using TrackIR. When using TrackIR you're canting your face in different directions to pan around while keeping your eyes fixed on the monitor screen. This forces your eyes to look through different parts of your progressive lenses as you pan around. Your monitor is constantly going in and out of focus as you scan for contacts.

Solution: I acquired a relatively cheap single-prescription pair of glasses from my eye doctor. She had me measure the distance from my eyes to the screen when seated normally. She used this data to prescribe my "computer glasses" and it works extremely well. No matter what angle I'm looking at the screen, it remains sharply in focus. The keyboard in front of me is slightly blurred, as is the TV when I'm watching it from about eight feet away. But my monitor at 26" is razor sharp. At all angles as my head swivels.

I switched back and forth from my monitor's native res of 1920 x 1080 to low resolution of 1366 x 768. I've even tried some intermediate resolutions maintaining the same 16:9 aspect resolution of 1600 x 900. My kills go way up at low res. I spot the dots at around 4 - 5 km (according to the TAB - 7 - 1 "radar") and have time to either plan an attack or make my escape. At high native res I just don't see the dots at that distance, so I'm always in a defensive situation which is not a good way to survive, much less win over your opponent. The intermediate resolution helped, but for me....not enough.

So, for me a combination of low res and the "computer glasses" helps tremendously in achieving victory. Of course, knowing your aircraft's optimal performance and employing good ACM plays a major part as well. But you can't hit what you can't see. To this end, a cure for disappearing LOD opponents will help immeasurably, too.

Good times ahead! :)

RAF74_Buzzsaw
Oct-13-2013, 13:14
Salute

My close up eyesight is cr*p, (used to have better than perfect... but now I'm an old geezer) but I still spot contacts faster than everyone in my Squad and faster than most people. (even in TF 3.01)

The reason? Nice big pair of regularly updated single vision computer focus glasses.... :)

fischbs
Oct-13-2013, 14:35
Macky here! The LoD fix is easily the most anticipated part of the upcoming TF v4.00 patch for me. I have been waiting to fly until v4.00 comes out and with the 18th set as the release date I look forward to flying with all of you again on the weekend.

Cheers, Godspeed, and crumpets -- see you all soon.

1/3_vszd_Tazar
Oct-15-2013, 15:21
Turn up the resolution and eye candy, enjoy what the game is capable of offering, because now the higher the res, the better you see.

Cheers Buzzsaw

I will, I will!

RAF74_Buzzsaw
Oct-18-2013, 13:15
Salute All

One of the biggest improvements which is coming with the patch is the improvement in LOD's and being able to spot the enemy. (thanks to one of our resident genius's... Mattias. :thumbsup:)

But besides the combat improvement you will see, it also means the handicap which has been imposed on the game from the beginning, ie. having to turn down the resolution to be able to see the opponent... NO LONGER APPLIES.

So we all say to you: When you get the patch, and if you've got a CPU/Video Card which can handle it, TURN IT UP.

Cheers Buzzsaw

Bump

Old_Canuck
Oct-20-2013, 16:51
I can confirm what Buzzsaw is saying two-fold. One for the DOTS and one for the LOD.

For years I've had to fly at a much lower resolution to spot dots - partly because of some eye constraints. During recent testing I've been able to fly at 1920 x 1080 with everything turned up and have relished seeing dots at distance and finally sorting out targets over the ground. And my vid card is a 570.

Now the LOD works great! No more disappearing dot in the transition to an aircraft image!!

Totally confirm what Cats just said. This weekend he told me to meet him at the English point lighthouse and for the first time since initial release I saw the dot a long way off and was able to close and was able to reacquire visual with him all the way to the French side. I was even able to see a bandit long before he shot me down. :goofy

Tvrdi
Oct-27-2013, 08:15
v4.0 is a huge improvement performance wise....now i can have most settings on high and the mp experience is smooth and no probs...And that is with i7920 which runs on 3.6ghz and gtx660ti with 2gb on 1920x1200. only sometimes imexperience microstutters but 95% of time is smooth ( and that is, on ATAG server where i have 150 ping).