PDA

View Full Version : Help!!! Install issues with my P-51 and steam

Greywing
Oct-12-2013, 02:49
Hi

I have DCS world running through Steam. I just got my product key for the Pony from the DCS WWII KS and I have downloaded the install program. I keep getting a message saying that the latest version of World needs to be installed. It is.

How do I get the install for the P51 to recognise my steam install of world?

Or do I need to download world from the ED website and start over?

Cheers

Greywing

ATAG_Bliss
Oct-12-2013, 03:41
Hi

I have DCS world running through Steam. I just got my product key for the Pony from the DCS WWII KS and I have downloaded the install program. I keep getting a message saying that the latest version of World needs to be installed. It is.

How do I get the install for the P51 to recognise my steam install of world?

Or do I need to download world from the ED website and start over?

Cheers

Greywing

Hi Greywing,

Open up Steam, go under the "games" tab in the upper left hand corner, click on "activate a product on steam", enter your game key there. That should "unlock" the P51 in DCS world and steam will most likely initiate a download to get all the content for P51 immediately after you enter the key. After that, launch DCS World again, and you should see the P51 without the $ sign on top of it meaning it's unlocked and ready to fly.

Bliss

Greywing
Oct-12-2013, 04:13
Thanks Bliss,

I'm now getting an invalid product key message. I'll have to try the other way I think (down load world yadda yadda).

palker
Oct-12-2013, 04:35
There are different keys for the version that you can download from ED site and other stores such as steam or origin. I had similar problem with A10 when i had a key from origin but could not activate the module in DCS:World i downloaded from EG. When i put it to steam it worked all right though.

Mysticpuma
Oct-12-2013, 06:39
Can you imagine the fiasco ahead with ED,Steam,RRG keys when DCS WWII is released! :(

Combat Wombat
Oct-12-2013, 07:04
Can you imagine the fiasco ahead with ED,Steam,RRG keys when DCS WWII is released! :(

I'm having problems like you wouldn't be leave but I'm finely getting help on the dcs forum from someone who's taken it on I gather from the lack of support from product support ,I sent reports that were generated when activation failed to product support but still haven't heard anything back in over a week. My first two purchases went fine then it all went belly up, Once it's all sorted I will make a post here in the hope it may help someone with a similar problem. my advice if you have a problem make a post in DCS forums in the help section there very helpful there.

Foul Ole Ron
Oct-12-2013, 08:06
For what it's worth I think you're maybe better off having DCS live outside of Steam. If you buy any DCS products on Steam you can always use the key to activate them in the standalone DCS World install. It'll probably go easier for you in the long run once DCS WW2 comes online too.

Remon
Oct-12-2013, 08:55
What Ron said. ED sends newly purchased cd keys from their store to Steam once a month, which means you could wait a bit if it doesn't verify. You won't have those problems if you use the stand alone.

Foul Ole Ron
Oct-12-2013, 09:28
Another thing to consider besides DCS WW2 is 3rd party products like the Mig-21Bis, Hawk, etc. that will be coming online. They almost certainly won't be using Steam for distribution. I guess you could activate the keys on Steam but it'll be less hassle to just work out of a stand alone DCS World install I'd think. Going with Steam just seems to add the potential for something to go wrong for no real gain to me.

Remon
Oct-12-2013, 10:33
The advantages of Steam are the social groups, its easier for me to repair, and the game updates automaticaly, not whenever I run it.

Bah, you need to merge some threads, it's getting confusing between this forum and the DCS WW2 forum.

ChiefRedCloud
Oct-12-2013, 11:42
I can feel GreyWings anxiety as I have gone through a wee bit myself. Now I'm not slapping down Steam because it has it's advantages but also a lot of contrariness too. I installed P51 with no problem other than ..... When I went to my library to install (several days after I purchased it) I could not find it. Instead I found DCS World ready to install. So I wrote Steam and they are said they would look into it. Then I thought, go look for P51 in the store. I found it and it said, PLAY. HUM, could it be, I clicked and it took me back to my library where I was confronted with, you guessed it, DCS World install. Seemed to be one and the same (on Steam).

I installed it and it (P51 Mustang) seems to be fine. However on looking for DCS World in the Steam store I found it also said PLAY. I am now confused (which comes easier with each year). I checked on the DCS forums and someone told me to install DCS World off the DCS forums as it was current and Steam might not be. ..... Which I am downloading a bit at a time .... 5 BIG files.

Simply put, Things should be clearer and simpler, but I guess not.

4846Let me add to MY confusion. First you HAVE to have DCS World installed or it wont work. I.e. Steam installs DCS world because, P51 is JUST a module that ONLY works within DCS World. Ok so we're clear on that and I think I am NOW.

So I start DCS World (not P51) and I get a notice, UPDATE 1.2.6.18933 is available. So I check my version (lower right corner of opening screen) and it says 1.2.6.18933. So I'm up to date. If you look at the download image I've posted it says, if I'm correct, version 1.2.618651.276. Now on the surface it would seem that Steam has a NEWER version than DCS. What do you think?

Also see this link ---> DCS World stand alone vs Steam version - recommendations? (http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6190&p=65063#post65063)

Greywing
Oct-12-2013, 16:35
Thanks Gents,

I'm in the process of downloading the stand alone. I like Steam for quite a few reasons but not so much I cant live without it in this case.

Cheers

GW

Greywing
Oct-13-2013, 02:09
Thanks for the help guys. All of it was much appreciated.

So I finally have jumped through all the hoops (Stand alone version, check. Older stand alone version check. The pony check. Update to latest version check and away!!!) and gotten into the cockpit of the Pony. Now I need to dust off my HOTAS and Facetrack setup and get back into some flying. All my gear has a light dusting of plaster dust unfortunately and it'll be a week or two yet before all I can do is sit there and gawk at the new ride. But the house is nearly done. Yay.

Cheers

GW

9./JG52 Jamz Dackel
Oct-13-2013, 04:55
Thanks for the help guys. All of it was much appreciated.

So I finally have jumped through all the hoops (Stand alone version, check. Older stand alone version check. The pony check. Update to latest version check and away!!!) and gotten into the cockpit of the Pony. Now I need to dust off my HOTAS and Facetrack setup and get back into some flying. All my gear has a light dusting of plaster dust unfortunately and it'll be a week or two yet before all I can do is sit there and gawk at the new ride. But the house is nearly done. Yay.

Cheers

GW

Key Mapping is a bloody nightmare! That is all

ChiefRedCloud
Oct-13-2013, 16:43
IF you have trackIR or such you might want to delete the mouse view setup in the controls setup as they might conflict as mine did.