PDA

View Full Version : DCS World stand alone vs Steam version - recommendations?

ATAG_Naz
Oct-12-2013, 06:43
Hi all

Apologies if this has been dealt with previously.

Now that the DCS WWII keys are being sent out for the P-51 I will eventually get around to installing the P-51 on my rig (with TF4 out soon I have no idea when I will find time to try the P51 though Lol).

Does anyone have any advice as to whether it is preferable to download the DCS world installation from their site or go with the Steam version. I have no problems using steam (I'm a pro-steam person generally) and am expecting a considerable benefit being download speeds for me here in Oz.

Are there any issues i should be aware of that might warrant me going with the standalone DCS World version from the official site rather than Steam though?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Naz

EDIT: Ahhh ... never mind. It looks like the key I got is not being recognized by Steam anyway. Guess I'll have to download from ED site direct. I might not bother until the EDGE engine is live. I'll be spending all my time in TFv4 soon anyway hopefully :)

9./JG52 Jamz Dackel
Oct-12-2013, 07:20
Hey Naz,

Was just about to post the same question..

I just uninstalled my stand alone version too! so I could get it all on Steam but like you the DCSww2 key is not being recognized and cannot see a work around as of yet apart from installing it again as a stand alone

ATAG_Naz
Oct-12-2013, 07:28
I've just noticed this thread which sort of touches on our issue mate:

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6186&p=65002#post65002

Probably worthwhile we check out the DCS forums as per Combat Wombat's suggestion. Let me know if you find anything before I do! :)

:thumbsup:

9./JG52 Jamz Dackel
Oct-12-2013, 07:34
I've just posted the question...Il let you know m8

9./JG52 Ziegler
Oct-12-2013, 07:38
Don't think it matter which as long as you are consistent in any mods you add/buy are from the same source as the original. I have the stand alone personally but only because that's where I started out with the 'world' and frogfoot from the DCS site. I'm sure it's the same with steam version as long as you buy the mods there. :thumbsup:

ATAG_Naz
Oct-12-2013, 07:46
No worries Jamz, thinking I will most likely just run the stand alone once EDGE is incorporated into DCS World.

Cheers for your advice Ziegler :salute:

Gorgon14
Oct-12-2013, 07:59
If you have any interest in Flaming Cliffs 3 and Combined Ops, I believe they are currently only working with the stand alone and will not be released through steam for quite some time, if ever.

Foul Ole Ron
Oct-12-2013, 08:08
Definitely go stand alone. Will likely prove far less hassle in the long run once DCS WW2 comes online.

ATAG_Naz
Oct-12-2013, 08:17
Thanks guys, you make good points. I will go stand alone. Feel sorry for Jamz having just uninstalled to go with Steam though :glaughter: :hide:

Bounder!
Oct-12-2013, 09:31
Definitely go stand alone. Will likely prove far less hassle in the long run once DCS WW2 comes online.

This. so. much.

If you install via steam you have less control over your DCS install and cannot revert back to previous updates when needed. If you buy off steam just use the install key to activate your standalone version.

Foul Ole Ron
Oct-12-2013, 09:35
I mentioned it in another thread too but 3rd party products like the Mig-21Bis, Hawk, etc. won't be using Steam for distribution. If you've an interest in buying them stand alone will likely work out much better for you. The only good thing about Steam is that the auto-update function will d/l at high speeds. The ED auto-update download speeds are ridiculously slow. Whenever a major version comes out like 1.25, 1.26, etc. I usually find it quicker and more reliable to not use the auto-update and instead d/l the whole new world package + individual planes via torrent.

9./JG52 Jamz Dackel
Oct-12-2013, 11:35
Thanks guys, you make good points. I will go stand alone. Feel sorry for Jamz having just uninstalled to go with Steam though :glaughter: :hide:

:recon:

EDIT... Back reinstalling Stand alone version before I have an answer over at ED.... haha, I just know what's going to happen now whaa

ChiefRedCloud
Oct-12-2013, 12:39
Don't think it matter which as long as you are consistent in any mods you add/buy are from the same source as the original. I have the stand alone personally but only because that's where I started out with the 'world' and frogfoot from the DCS site. I'm sure it's the same with steam version as long as you buy the mods there. :thumbsup:

What version does everyone have? just curious ..... I posted mine in this thread ---> Help!!! Install issues with my P-51 and steam (http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6186&p=65002#post65002)

9./JG52 Jamz Dackel
Oct-12-2013, 12:49
Well as the p51 key came from DCSWW2 I installed the Stand alone DCS world followed by the P51....entered Key, no dramas whatsoever..

As already stated above...as long as you get the keys from the same source it shouldn't really matter though there are a few peeps swaying more towards stand alone just incase Steam doesn't support certain addons later or is late in obtaining them etc

ATAG_Bliss
Oct-12-2013, 16:39
I actually prefer the steam version. Once my keys have been accepted, steam automatically downloads the content for w/e module I buy into the DCS World. But better yet, it remembers it regardless of how many times I uninstall it. I see no difference whatsoever with the steam version and the standalone version (the one I started with) except steam downloads all the updates automatically and much faster than the DCS ED master browser does.

If you have any interest in Flaming Cliffs 3 and Combined Ops, I believe they are currently only working with the stand alone and will not be released through steam for quite some time, if ever.

I have both FC3 and Combined Ops both through steam and they work fine! They integrate just like the standalone version. Simply enter your key in steam and it downloads / updates automatically in DCS World. :thumbsup:

This. so. much.

If you install via steam you have less control over your DCS install and cannot revert back to previous updates when needed. If you buy off steam just use the install key to activate your standalone version.

This is the best case for having the standalone version. But I was able to copy a few files (less than 2mb worth) for the updater standalone version compared to steam and was able to revert back to a previous install via steam. But it was much more painful to do :D

All in all I just like the fact that once I have my keys activated with Steam, it will always be tied to my steam account. Because of that I will never have to reactivate etc., even if I was to do a reformat. I would just install steam like normal, and then re-download DCS World automatically like all other steam games. I love steam tbh :)

And to those having problems with Steam activation, if I would wager a guess it's because the keys are so new that steam hasn't been given an updated list of them yet, therefore making them not recognized yet. Once they are recognized it literally is just as simply as copy / pasting your key through steam and watching steam automatically download / install the module you purchased.

Revvin
Oct-12-2013, 17:07
I've switched between standalone and Steam versions a couple of times, I was keen to switch to Steam at first but it took a while for some of my keys to be recognised as ED have to send over batches of keys and it can take a week or more. Initially not all modules were supported such as Huey and later Mi-8 so I switched back to stand-alone. Then Huey was released on Steam which coincided with a sale of modules so I bought some modules for friends and switched back to the Steam version. It's great that you can buy modules from either ED or Steam and use them on both versions I just wish they could sync them quicker

Tempered
Oct-14-2013, 21:13
I use steam and have had no problems with any game I've owned. I've deleted them and reinstalled many times. It has saved me from losing them to bad hard drives. It saves me from continuously monitoring web sites for updates. No, I'm not a paid shill for steam ;) I just like the convenience and time savings I get from it. Your mileage may vary.

And congrats on your new P-51 :thumbsup:

ATAG_Freya
Oct-17-2013, 21:34
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I was reading through stuff here and noticed the talk of pro's and con's of steam vs non steam installs. I had a non-steam install to begin with. Then the steam sale came up and I deleted that and switched to a steam install with the huey and p-51. Then I installed the latest non-steam version, downloaded the modules (that I have bought through steam) through module manager and they activated without even asking for steam key codes. So now I have both installs and can enjoy the advantages of both. I'm only into dcs for a couple months so I'm no wizard at it, but being set up like this allows me to enjoy the advantages of both, which means I can keep the steam install "clean" and use the standalone to put JGSME into so I can activate mods. Both installs use the same user files (in the users/saved games/DCS folder) so if I change some key bindings on one, it does it for both installs. Skins I think would be seperate, though. I'm happy with this, its a win-win. Also I have one install on an SSD and loading times are noticably faster. I am certain that those who read this will sleep better at night from now on, so I'll leave it at that.

Cheers,
Freya

Dutch
Oct-17-2013, 22:01
I am certain that those who read this will sleep better at night from now on, so I'll leave it at that.

Not me. That post of yours is going to give me nightmares for years to come.......:faint:

ATAG_Freya
Oct-18-2013, 01:14
Awe, c'mon Dutch, you've seen worse! I know I have..