PDA

View Full Version : No Luck with 4.0

TWC_SLAG
Oct-19-2013, 18:37
The first time I tried 4.0, everything worked great. Then, I did the verification thing in Steam, and that's when the trouble began. At that point, it took me back to the original game. And it's been down hill ever since.

Usually, with a patch, I stumble around until I get it to work. But, in the meantime, I can still play the previous version. This time, no matter what I do, the game crashes. It loads just fine, I get the new start page which shows I have 4.0, I pick a mission and hit "fly", it loads and I hit "fly" again. That's when it crashes back to the desktop. I reloaded all three patches, and, right now I have the 4.0 front page. I believe I have followed all of the instructions, but am just a computer user rather than an expert, so I probably have done something wrong.

ANY suggestions are welcome and much appreciated,

binky9

RAF74_Buzzsaw
Oct-19-2013, 18:47
You don't verify with Steam after you install our patch, that takes you back to Vanilla.

Steps:

1) Install CoD through Steam or Verify the current installation through Steam.
2) Turn OFF auto Steam update of CoD.
3) Start the game, then shut it down. Delete the Cache file in your Documents/1cSoftclub/IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover folder.
4) Install TF 3.0
5) Start the game, then shut it down. Delete the Cache file.
6) Install TF 3.01
7) Start the game, then shut it down. Delete the Cache file.
8) Set up your Conf.ini file with the appropriate values. (see elsewhere on this board)
9) Install TF 4.0
10) Fly the game.

Check the 'How To' thread and read it thoroughly.

TWC_SLAG
Oct-19-2013, 20:03
buzzsaw,

I think there is something more fundamentally wrong than just not verifying in Steam and following the instructions. Once I was back to the original CoD, it wouldn't work, either.

Out of curiosity, I went into Steam and launched the original CoD. It crashed. Loading the previous two patches and then 4.0 hasn't done any good.

It seems to me that, if I can get the original CoD to work, everything else will fall into place.

Any ideas as to how to fix the original? Can I re-download it from Air Warfare/Ubisoft/or elsewhere?

Thanks,

binky9

ATAG_JTDawg
Oct-19-2013, 20:09
buzzsaw,

I think there is something more fundamentally wrong than just not verifying in Steam and following the instructions. Once I was back to the original CoD, it wouldn't work, either.

Out of curiosity, I went into Steam and launched the original CoD. It crashed. Loading the previous two patches and then 4.0 hasn't done any good.

It seems to me that, if I can get the original CoD to work, everything else will fall into place.

Any ideas as to how to fix the original? Can I re-download it from Air Warfare/Ubisoft/or elsewhere?

Thanks,

binky9

Have you tried dot net fix an also dx setup, also try to reinstall vid drivers, :thumbsup:

airdoc
Oct-19-2013, 20:10
I have the same problem. The first time the game worked with TF 4.00 patch. Then, I got a message "could not connect to Steam network". I used the link to verify my account. Then again, the same message from steam.
Right now, I can't launch the game at all. I didn't try to revert to older versions.

ATAG_Lolsav
Oct-19-2013, 20:30
By any chance did you guys left Steam Cloud network activated? It will replace the files you guys have messing up the old game by setting the default ones of the game.

TWC_SLAG
Oct-19-2013, 20:36
Have you tried dot net fix an also dx setup, also try to reinstall vid drivers, :thumbsup:

I did all three of those.

binky9

TWC_SLAG
Oct-19-2013, 20:38
By any chance did you guys left Steam Cloud network activated? It will replace the files you guys have messing up the old game by setting the default ones of the game.

That's something new to me. Where would I find that?

binky9

TWC_SLAG
Oct-19-2013, 20:41

It just hit me what that is. I had had it ON when I first tried 4.0, but turned it Off after I started having problems.

binky9

Combat Wombat
Oct-19-2013, 21:14
Also had the same problem as Blinky last night aus time,just doing new install patches the lot, hope my settings i saved will go back in ok. (

TWC_SLAG
Oct-20-2013, 19:19
Airdoc and Wombat,

If either of you come up with a solution to our common problem, let us know. I'll do the same.

Binky9

Royraiden
Oct-20-2013, 20:03
buzzsaw,

Thanks,

binky9
Maybe you got that certain Windows 7 update that makes Cliffs of Dover crash.

Mysticpuma
Oct-20-2013, 20:06
Have a read through this thread I just started with FAQ's and common reasons for crashes:

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6431

Cheers, MP

TWC_SLAG
Oct-21-2013, 13:15
In re-watching the installation video, I noted that the installer file should go in the ...steamapps/common/Cod folder. Could my problem be that I put the two installer files in a folder on my desktop, instead?

I'm at work, but will try this when I get home, if nobody tells me in the meantime this is not the solution.

Thanks,

binky9

ATAG_Lolsav
Oct-21-2013, 13:19
Should make no diffrence where you place the installer. Just to be sure we are on same page im going to request you, Binky, to go to your main game screen (err.. if you manage to launch the game) and look on the bottom right, look to what version it states there.

TWC_SLAG
Oct-21-2013, 14:53
Should make no difference where you place the installer. Just to be sure we are on same page im going to request you, Binky, to go to your main game screen (err.. if you manage to launch the game) and look on the bottom right, look to what version it states there.

It has always shown 4.0, except when it had reverted back to the original version. The game launches fine, but then crashes when I try to fly, except for the first time, when it ran straight and true, before I exited, cleared the cashe, and went to Steam and re-verified. I would have sworn the instructions said to re-verify. But, watching the video again, and taking notes, it doesn't.

I went back to the original, added 3.0, 3.01, and 4.0, and it still crashed.

binky9

ATAG_Lolsav
Oct-21-2013, 14:58
During that process, while going back, didnt you skiped a step by any chance? Launching the game during diffrents versions its a requirement, a "must do". The game creates some files on the 1st launch.

It seems to me that a reinstall would be in order. It would save you a ton of time and hassle. Didnt you made a backup of Steam version for Hard drive? I know i did one the first time i installed the game, just in case, so i guess many guys did the same along the way.

Binky, the reports of what you are experiencing are not consistent with other players problems. Hence, i really think doing a fresh install could be the best thing.

And, if you get the game finally to run again, you get to a point where it quits/crashes after 15 mins or so, that "smells" like the malefic windows update. MysticPuma states wich one it is on his FAQ thread.

ATAG_Colander
Oct-21-2013, 15:02
Also, turn on logging and paste any errors here.
Besides this, if you have crash dump files from the moment your game crashed, please zip'em and upload them here.

TWC_SLAG
Oct-21-2013, 15:50
During that process, while going back, didnt you skiped a step by any chance? Launching the game during diffrents versions its a requirement, a "must do". The game creates some files on the 1st launch.

It seems to me that a reinstall would be in order. It would save you a ton of time and hassle. Didnt you made a backup of Steam version for Hard drive? I know i did one the first time i installed the game, just in case, so i guess many guys did the same along the way.

Binky, the reports of what you are experiencing are not consistent with other players problems. Hence, i really think doing a fresh install could be the best thing.

And, if you get the game finally to run again, you get to a point where it quits/crashes after 15 mins or so, that "smells" like the malefic windows update. MysticPuma states wich one it is on his FAQ thread.

Yes, I have a copy of the original, I'll take a look tonight when I get home.

When was the last Windows update? Remember 4.0 worked well the first time I tried it.

binky9

TWC_SLAG
Oct-21-2013, 15:51
Also, turn on logging and paste any errors here.
Besides this, if you have crash dump files from the moment your game crashed, please zip'em and upload them here.

I'll look into that tonight, too.

Thanks,

binky9

Mysticpuma
Oct-21-2013, 15:53
Binky, it's a specific Windows update, please check this thread to see which one:

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6431

TWC_SLAG
Oct-21-2013, 21:05
To all you took the time to help me,

IT'S ALIVE!

I followed the notes I made from the video, and everything is working. All of my settings were gone, but that is a small price to pay.

Thanks,

binky9

ATAG_Lolsav
Oct-21-2013, 21:13
Glad you sorted it out. Regarding personnal config: Once you finish are you get satisfied make a backup!! Do that once you finish programming evry action. The time consuming is so big that you will gladly do it after you finish the hard work it requires you. Do it while your memory is fresh. Else you will forget untill you realize you gonna need it again.

TWC_SLAG
Oct-21-2013, 21:52
Glad you sorted it out. Regarding personnal config: Once you finish are you get satisfied make a backup!! Do that once you finish programming evry action. The time consuming is so big that you will gladly do it after you finish the hard work it requires you. Do it while your memory is fresh. Else you will forget untill you realize you gonna need it again.

I'll do it.

Thanks,

binky9

TWC_SLAG
Oct-26-2013, 18:00

Well, before I cound backup, it crashed again.

In looking at the "log" file, I saw this:

full path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover\
redirecting CreateDXGIFactory
redirecting D3D11CreateDeviceAndSwapChain
redirecting IDXGIFactory->CreateSwapChain
redirecting IDXGISwapChain->ResizeBuffers
initialising shader environment
D3DX10CreateEffectFromFile failed
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover\dxgi.fx(39,10): error X1507: failed to open source file: 'SweetFX_preset.txt'

Could this be my problem?

binky9

9./JG52_J-HAT
Oct-26-2013, 20:56
Did you have sweetfx installed? I have had the game crash on me once after I "uninstalled" sweetfx without deleting all the files. In my case I had deleted the dlls but not the text files with the settings IIRC. I'd say it looks like the game is trying to load your sweetfx and is not finding one of the files. I would suggest either delete all the files that were extracted from sweetfx whe you installed it or move all the files again to your game folder (reinstall it as per instructions).

TWC_SLAG
Oct-26-2013, 23:15
Did you have sweetfx installed? I have had the game crash on me once after I "uninstalled" sweetfx without deleting all the files. In my case I had deleted the dlls but not the text files with the settings IIRC. I'd say it looks like the game is trying to load your sweetfx and is not finding one of the files. I would suggest either delete all the files that were extracted from sweetfx whe you installed it or move all the files again to your game folder (reinstall it as per instructions).

You are confirming my suspicions. I thought I had deleted all of the sweetfx stuff, so now I'll take a look for any stragglers.

Thanks,

Binky9

TWC_SLAG
Oct-26-2013, 23:45
I found some Sweetfx files, and deleted them, except for a readme file that won't go away. I also found a dxgi.fx file, a dxgi.dll file, and a D3DX file.

Should I delete them all?

binky9

ATAG_Freya
Oct-27-2013, 00:18
Hey Binky,

I'd say go ahead and delete those. As ATAG_JHAT mentioned, ALL sweetfx file should be deleted, so delete any of the files in you see in this amazing screenshot of sweetfx files....

Cheers,
ATAG_Freya

TWC_SLAG
Oct-27-2013, 01:06
Hey Binky,

I'd say go ahead and delete those. As ATAG_JHAT mentioned, ALL sweetfx file should be deleted, so delete any of the files in you see in this amazing screenshot of sweetfx files....

Cheers,
ATAG_Freya

WOW. The graphics improvements in v4.0 are truly amazing. :)

I did it, and I am flying.

Thanks to all that helped me,

binky9

Mysticpuma
Oct-27-2013, 04:29
Customer service unlike that seen on so many other forums! ;)

Well done us ;)

Cheers, MP

9./JG52_J-HAT
Oct-27-2013, 04:30
Glad to see it worked!

Kling
Oct-27-2013, 05:16
Damn sad i didnt see this threqd before!! First thing I would have recommended would have been to disable sweetFX if you have it installed. I had endless crashes with it installed. It would allow me a few mins of flying that was it. They disappeared the minute i uninstalled sweetfx.

Sweetfx seems really incompatible to Clod.
Mysticpuma do you have this in your FAQ?? :)

Mysticpuma
Oct-27-2013, 06:05
Damn sad i didnt see this threqd before!! First thing I would have recommended would have been to disable sweetFX if you have it installed. I had endless crashes with it installed. It would allow me a few mins of flying that was it. They disappeared the minute i uninstalled sweetfx.

Sweetfx seems really incompatible to Clod.
Mysticpuma do you have this in your FAQ?? :)

Yes, that's why it's an FAQ ;)

Kling
Oct-27-2013, 06:21
Yes, that's why it's an FAQ ;)

;) Didnt read it through yet, just wanted to make sure u added the sweetFX issue.
I saw the one about the windows update but not the one about sweetFX.
;)