PDA

View Full Version : Regarding 109 temperature gauges

Zisi
Oct-19-2013, 19:08
I assume the gauges are historical, the markings show, 40 80 120. This seems like a really poor choice of markings considering that 100c is the max safe temp of the engine and that most of the time you will be at 90-100c. The visual area between 90 and 100 is small, and neither temp are marked making it actually quite hard to read at a glance.

So my question is mostly a historic one, was this a case of just taking off the shelf guages and sticking them in the plane? Or was the aircraft capable of flying above 100 for a longer period of time than it is in the sim? Were the markings used for some other purpose?

Thanks

RAF74_Buzzsaw
Oct-19-2013, 23:17
Yes, they are historical gauges.

And the temps are set by what the max allowable shows in the manuals.

Simplest way to deal with them when you are flying is to place your mouse cursor over the gauge when you are looking straight ahead in normal view, and then you can move your head slightly with Track IR and the temps will display.

Zisi
Oct-20-2013, 04:55
Yeah thats what I do.

Vlerkies
Oct-21-2013, 03:39
My credentials are of Noob level, however the temp gauges in the 109 are quite useless in the virtual combat world, practically speaking.

I did some runs where I stressed the engine in level flight at sea level trying to get a handle on where I could have my rads set at while in pursuit or in combat. The gauges seemed to stay rock steady and all of a sudden climb rapidly in 5-10 seconds to the point of engine being kaput!
Radiator settings aside (i tried a few combos), there is just no warning unless you are glancing at the gauges every 5 seconds. It almost seems as though there is a lag in the gauge readings versus the actual engine temps which more often than not result in catastrophic failures. I would imagine these gauges are reporting from direct sensor points on key areas of the engine so it should be immediate.

Its not a huge issue, I just find them less than useful in the virtual combat world. Now I just fly with rads full open.
(edit: this was all with TF v 3.01)

doxey
Nov-07-2013, 07:52
http://img.xrmb2.net/images/619312.jpeg
I have just patched to TF 4.0.
Is this normal in TF 4.0 patch? In BF109 E-1 oil temperatur before take-off is at 85°celsius?
NOrmaly i get in the CloD (patched with latest steam) 42° celsius?
Edit:
Of course oil- and water radiator are fully opened.

doxey
Nov-07-2013, 13:38
Ok. Found in yt-videos ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioFTYkPbIfk ) that 80-90°C should be normal