PDA

View Full Version : I've got to be missing something elementary

I_B_Spectre
Oct-20-2013, 12:11
I've been flying the TF mod for a couple of months and am very excited about TF 4.0. My system is dated, but it's reasonably playable with tweakage. One thing I cannot surmount is takeoff in the Campaign. I have tried searching both within and without these forums without finding the answer. When I spawn as #3 on the runway in my Hurricane, all is normal except when I advance the throttle my plane noses-over with the accompanying prop strike. I have tried setting chock removal, actuating brakes, all without success. Can anyone shed light on what I am missing to get the crate rolling?

AKA_Recon
Oct-20-2013, 12:13
Are you waiting for it to get warmed up ? Once it's warmed up it will taxi for you with just a bit of throttle

You don't even need brake to taxi, it can all be controlled by the throttle.

On take off itself, you should slightly pull back on the stick to prevent a nose over.

ATAG_Lolsav
Oct-20-2013, 12:14
Option 1: Press brake untill the message of brakes release pops up? Think it has something to do with that.

Option 2: hit the autopilot key untill plane starts moving and hit again to regain control. AI is a bit tricky, and it will solve many of your problems if you just hit the autopilot for a brief seconds (as long as you wish actually)

I_B_Spectre
Oct-20-2013, 12:30
Thanks for the come-back, guys. As you know, the Campaign starts with the engine already running. Since I am #3 behind the leader (#2 being on the leader's right wing), I have to sit awaiting #1's takeoff roll. I had presumed sufficient operating temp would be reached at that point. On any other single mission (free flight, combat, etc.), I have no problem maneuvering on the ground, but they all usually start in the air. From what I've read, there are no operational brakes on the Hurricane in CloD (although historically they were actuated by a lever on the spade grip). No matter how protracted my throttle advancement, it's as though the wheels are chocked or a parking brake is set because it noses-over and no amount of aft stick can compensate. I did not see a parking brake setting in the control options and figured there must not be one. I've read of using autopilot for such things, but presumed most people could affect a normal takeoff in the Campaign. Even though I've got my CH Pro Pedals set for differential braking (again not modeled), I've even tried using the keyboard inputs to cycle the brakes without success. If going to autopilot is the only way to do it, that's what I'll do. Once again, thanks for the speedy replies. :salute:

ATAG_Monkeynut
Oct-20-2013, 13:10
Brakes are on by default in the hurricane for the campaign missions. You just need to press wheel brakes button once to clear it.

dburne
Oct-20-2013, 13:54
Brakes are on by default in the hurricane for the campaign missions. You just need to press wheel brakes button once to clear it.

Agree that has been my experience as well.

I_B_Spectre
Oct-20-2013, 14:29
Thanks, guys. It seems CloD does not favor a one-size-fits-all control settings between differing aircraft models, but I setup my toe brakes so they would work whether I was flying a 109 or an RAF plane. I have the left brake assigned to the B key, the right brake to N. When I could not affect a brake release by actuating either of these, then I tried those commands via keyboard without success. The only way to get airborne so far is to let autopilot execute the takeoff roll, then assume pilot command. This is true when flying RAF or Luftwaffe aircraft. Maybe it's something in the way I've got it mapped, it bears further investigation. This may all be an exercise in futility, though. I'm running Win7 32-bit with 4GB of RAM with a 2.3GHz quad core CPU. I can usually get one good single mission before subsequent missions require reload due to Launcher crashes. While I'm sure a newer, faster CPU with more RAM and Win7 64-bit might provide relief for some issues, I still read where guys with more up-to-date hardware are having some of the same issues. I do appreciate everyone's suggestions. It can be frustrating, but not enough to keep me from trying.

1lokos
Oct-20-2013, 14:43
I have the left brake assigned to the B key, the right brake to N

Spectre,

Is this, for British planes you need use "Full Wheel Brakes" command, not Left Brake, Right Brake. British is different, dont see that they drive on the wrong side of the street? :)

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/7428/toxh.jpg[/URL]
This mimic the RL lever in control column (one lever instead two pedals).

BTW - To brake only left or right wheel, press "Full Whell Brake" key and push the rudder for this side.

In SP missions/campaigns since you spawn with engines on, brakes are on too. Same in multiplayer, and in (now inactive) ATAG Rearm and Refuel.

"Full Left Wheel Brake" and Full Right Whell Brake" is for German planes.
Italian planes use "British" system.
And, if not dumbing down the Russian planes in the incoming il-2:Bos should use "British" system too. :thumbsup:

Sokol1

I_B_Spectre
Oct-20-2013, 15:03
My thinking was, since the Control mapping has three settings: Full Brakes, Left Full Brake & Right Full Brake (and that brakes for some reason are not modeled in the Hurri or Spit), touching either left or right toe brake would affect a brake release. This may not be the case, so I went into Options and set Shift B to the Full Brakes command. It did not make a difference and would not release the brakes. Autopilot is still the only way I can get a takeoff roll.

1lokos
Oct-20-2013, 15:47
I went into Options and set Shift B to the Full Brakes command. It did not make a difference and would not release the brakes.

When you hit Shift+B you see this message on screen?

http://imageshack.us/a/img15/5872/zrof.jpg

Look at controls again to confirm if the above keys combination are really recorded.

And - just in case - look in Controls > Aircraft > Axis if some joystick (or another controller plugged in compute) axis are assigned to "Wheel Brakes".

http://imageshack.us/a/img40/2996/xvzn.jpg
The above is my personal settings.

and that brakes for some reason are not modeled in the Hurri or Spit
It's a old history, but they are modeled correctly (http://www.avweb.com/news/pelican/185674-1.html?redirected=1) in the game.

Sokol1

I_B_Spectre
Oct-20-2013, 20:59
I figured something wasn't setup correctly because I never got the onscreen "brakes on/off" message. Thanks for the assist. On another note, I ran across a helpful post that was key to solving a lot of my game crash problems. It was doing the "bcdedit /set increaseuserva 3072" entry to utilize more of my 4GB of RAM. It added tremendous stability to my game and I was able to successfully do more than one mission without having to reload the game. It also greatly reduced in-game stutters and pauses. My sincere appreciation to all those who render assistance to others in this forum. You guys make it all happen!

Mysticpuma
Oct-21-2013, 06:18
Do you have the link to the thread for your other fix? Cheers, MP

92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)
Oct-21-2013, 08:38
Do you have the link to the thread for your other fix? Cheers, MP

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6162&highlight=

It is for 32 bit windows.

I_B_Spectre
Oct-21-2013, 11:47
To 1lokos: I finally got the wheel brake assignment corrected. Now I can release the brakes when taking off in the Campaign. Thanks for your help. :)

Philstyle: The difference after the bcdedit is astounding! It has turned an often frustrating and marginally playable sim for me into a stable source of enjoyment. Bravo Zulu, my friend. :thumbsup:

1lokos
Oct-21-2013, 12:42
Spectre,

Nice to know. Happy flights. :D

And dont forget, "pull the lever" (Shift+B) and push the rudder to brake wheels individually if want (British and Italian planes). :thumbsup:

Sokol1