PDA

View Full Version : Oculus Rift support sometime in the future...

Oersted
Oct-20-2013, 16:12
Hey all,

As you may know I bought and tried the Oculus Rift a couple of weeks ago and was bowled over. If you haven't heard about it here's my report (with vid): http://www.flightsimvids.com/2013-10.Warthunder.with.Oculus.Rift/index.html

For the next TF v5.00 patch I think it could be absolutely fantastic to have OR support in CoD. As far as I know it is not totally difficult. You basically just have to generate two images, left-eye and right-eye, and then distort them in the particular way that makes them look good through the lenses in the OR which "wrap" the images around your eyes and give you ~ 130 degrees field of view. People have already OR-ified many programs like Outerra, Google Street View, Lunar Lander, etc, etc. I don't know if there is a readymade solution, but maybe there is? I believe the programming environment is called Unity, but there is much more info about that on the OR forums at http://www.oculusvr.com/

To use OR with a program it is necessary to have pretty much 60fps rock-solid. Sounds like a steep demand for CoD but then just remember that the max. resolution at the moment for the Rift is 1280p. Then it seems more doable. There will be an issue with reading dials but with the superb zoom view we got with CoD now it should be ok.

Anyway, what do you all think?

Mysticpuma
Oct-20-2013, 16:30
Sounds great Oersted, let us know when you've coded it :hide:

Like everything, we can only see what is possible and there is no way anyone is going to say it isn't possible, but only a few days after Patch v4.00, there is plenty of time to digest the reports and see where we go in the future ;)

Cheers, MP

Oersted
Oct-20-2013, 16:37
Will have that ready for you after the weekend Mysticpuma! :P

RAF74_Buzzsaw
Oct-20-2013, 17:13
Salute

To do the modifications required, not only will we need to do a LOT of work, we will also need a copy of O.R. to begin the process.

Considering the expense required for that purchase, it is not something we can look at now.

If someone is interested in donating the hardware, we'd be happy to have a copy.

Thanks Buzzsaw :salute:

Basha
Oct-20-2013, 17:46
Maybe thats where the community can come in those that want to gift something to TF could infact all chip in for OR and all own a slice of it thus allowing TF to develop it into CLOD for us all :thumbsup:

Combat Wombat
Oct-20-2013, 18:05
Salute

To do the modifications required, not only will we need to do a LOT of work, we will also need a copy of O.R. to begin the process.

Considering the expense required for that purchase, it is not something we can look at now.

If someone is interested in donating the hardware, we'd be happy to have a copy.

Thanks Buzzsaw :salute:

Hers a prime example why there should be a TF account set up for donations not just for upkeep of the servers but two accounts so there's no confusion when chipping in a few dollars for future research

RAF74_Buzzsaw
Oct-20-2013, 18:11
Hers a prime example why there should be a TF account set up for donations not just for upkeep of the servers but two accounts so there's no confusion when chipping in a few dollars for future research

Someone else should arrange that.

Team Fusion cannot solicit money for the work we do. We cannot make further progress contingent on receiving money.

If someone wants to create a fund and a campaign to raise money, and then donate the hardware, fine, but we can't do that ourselves.

ram0506
Oct-21-2013, 05:11
And if you start a thread were everyone who donated can state how many of his money should be used for the purchase of the developer kit of OR.
For example: " I put in $20, $10 should be used for OR".
If the $300 (or whatever) dollars are not reached you can use all the donated money for your fees etc.. No need to pay back any money!
If the $300 are reached, it`ll be not a promise that we get the implementation of OR but you`ll try to do so.
?
(Just a suggestion)

Mysticpuma
Oct-21-2013, 05:32
Is it possible to have a Kickstarter for £300?

;)

pckormic
Oct-21-2013, 07:02
I like the idea too.
If would be a thread, kickstarter or whatever, where I can donate a few bucks to purchase the Oculus Rift for the team, I would.:thumbsup:

9./JG52 Ziegler
Oct-21-2013, 09:05
I like the idea too.
If would be a thread, kickstarter or whatever, where I can donate a few bucks to purchase the Oculus Rift for the team, I would.:thumbsup:

+1 S!:thumbsup:

Basha
Oct-21-2013, 12:53
What id the cost of the OC dev kit ??

Oersted
Oct-21-2013, 14:38
I would be very happy to set up a thread like that. Let me just have a chat with Bliss and let us see what we can do. Will keep you guys posted.

ATAG_Colander
Oct-21-2013, 14:56
Guys,

Although it would be very cool indeed, there are things higher in the priority list than support for a device only very few people has. Some people even try to fly with a mouse or keyboard, others don't yet have Track IR, a set of rudder pedals (My self included. I used twist handle until about a year ago).

Maybe once the device is more mainstream and other issues are addressed TF will be able to retake this though.