PDA

View Full Version : Clouds and weather

Hood
Oct-20-2013, 18:55
Can some kind soul post up a "How to" about adding weather other than light or medium clouds.
For example I just added a stock Local weather - overcast with gaps and the launcher died. I looked at the .mis file but noting there seemed to me to be the cause of the failure.

If someone can also post about the mis entries for dynamic weather that'd also be a great help.

Thanks in advance.

Hood

1lokos
Oct-20-2013, 19:49
Hood,

Look this topic: http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6282&p=66461&viewfull=1#post66461

Sokol1

Hood
Oct-21-2013, 03:16
Hi Sokol1

I saw that post but don't understand the various parameters in the .mis file. For example:

[WeatherFront]
LocalWeather_7 CUMULUS_GEN 15000 16000 167733.95 196570.75 1000 40
[LocalWeather_7]
EllipticA 15000
EllipticB 16000
RotAngle 0
ShiftX 0
ShiftY 0
BaseHeight 1000
IsRain 0
IsDynamicEnabled 0
ParticipType 1
DropSize 10
RainPower 10
ThermalIntensity 10
CloudsDensity 10
MidSize 10

I tried some settings (not exactly the same) and the launcher fails every time.

Will these settings work effectively every time, so I can just move the object around on the FMB map and it will still work?

Hood

Salmo
Oct-21-2013, 04:21
Can some kind soul post up a "How to" about adding weather other than light or medium clouds.
For example I just added a stock Local weather - overcast with gaps and the launcher died. I looked at the .mis file but noting there seemed to me to be the cause of the failure.

If someone can also post about the mis entries for dynamic weather that'd also be a great help.

Thanks in advance.

Hood

OK, here goes:

1. Go to the Full Mission Builder (FMB).
2. Open an existing mission or start a new mission.
3. In the menu at the top, select 'VIEW' then 'OBJECT BROWSER'
4. In the object browser window, on the type tab, click the down-arrow for the object type (the first entry at the top o the window).
5. Select the 'LOCAL WEATHER' object from the items.
6. Position your cursor on the map & press 'control-left mouse click' where you want to place the centre of your weather front. A small cloud icon will appear on the map.
7. In the "OBJECT BROWSER' window, select the 'CONFIGURATION' tab.
8. You should see six configurable items on the 'CONFIGURATION' tab:

* Name: You can change the name of the weather front if you like.
* Ra: This is the radius of the weather front along the 'a' axis. Change the number to increase the size of the front area. As you do so, you'll see a dotted line appear in an area around the cloud icon. This is the area for the weather front.
* Rb: This is the radius of the weather front along the 'b' axis. Change the number to increase the size of the front area. As you do so, you'll see a dotted line appear in an area around the cloud icon. This is the area for the weather front.
* H: This is the height (in metres) of the weather front.
* Rain: A tick box to turn rain off/on, but it's not working.
* Dynamic: A tick box to make your weatherf ront dyanamic. I have mine weather fronts dynamic-ticked.

You can also press your 7, 9, 3, 1 numpad keys to roate the front how you like. I prefer an eliptical front that's rather narrow but very wide.

9. Click on the 'PROPERTIES' tab. You'll see a number of slider to adjust various values, but the GUI is broken. You can still enter numbers in the boxes on the right of each slider, but it's best to manually edit your mission file to enter these values.
10. Take note of the wind direction you've set in the 'VIEW'-'MISSION PARAMETERS'-'WIND FLOW TAB'. This will be the direction the front moves over time.
11. Save your mission.
12. Open your mission file in notepad or a text editor.
13. At the bottom the file, find the [WeatherFront] section. It will probably have a line immediately underneath saying something like...

LocalWeather_0 THUNDER_GEN 100000 50000 165660.18 261920.10 13000 30

... Change the word Thunder_Gen to one of these:

CUMULUS_GEN
OVERCAST_GEN
THUNDER_GEN
14. Below the weatherf front info, you find another section headed something like [LocalWeather_0] ...
with a series of parameters:

EllipticA 100000 ................ This is the Ra parameter.
EllipticB 50000 ................. This is the Rb parameter.
RotAngle 0 ....................... This is a rotation verctor for how you rotated the front in FMB.
ShiftX 0 ........................... Unknown.
ShiftY 0 ........................... Unknown.
BaseHeight 1000 .............. This is the lower cloud base height. Adjust as desired.
IsRain 1 .......................... Turns rain off/on. Not working.
IsDynamicEnabled 1 .......... Dynamic = 1
ParticipType 1 .................. I adjust with values from 1 to 3.
DropSize 0 ....................... Values 1 - 10 seems to affect cloud transparency.
RainPower 0 ..................... Unknown. Probably not used.
ThermalIntensity 5 ........... Values 1 - 10. How intense the updrafts are.
CloudsDensity 5 ................ Values 1 - 10. How dense clouds are.
MidSize 5 ......................... Values 1 -10. Seems to affect how 'bunched' clouds are.

After editing, save your text file.

Hood
Oct-21-2013, 04:32
Thank you Salmo (and Sokol1 for your response). Very much appreciated.

Hood

Tettric
Oct-27-2013, 09:01
Does CloD have any form of precipitation, only I've never managed to find it if it does...

nacy
Oct-27-2013, 09:44
test fait en France.
http://www.checksix-forums.com/viewtopic.php?f=414&t=183342&view=unread#unread

Marmus
Nov-27-2013, 09:00
Nacy,

Thanks you for posting link! There is some interesting testing being done over there!

I took one of the posted mission on your referenced forum thread...cool results. Too bad the clouds are just "flat images," they are good for still shots, but as you move your head there is a kaleidoscope effect:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzZgxy87EOw

Google Translate into French:
Nacy,

Merci vous pour poster le lien! Il est des tests intéressants réalisés là-bas!

J'ai pris un de la mission posté sur votre forum fil référencé ... Résultats fraîches. Dommage que les nuages ​​ne sont que "des images plates," elles sont bonnes pour des plans fixes, mais comme vous bougez la tête il ya un effet de kaléidoscope:

PieceOfCake
Dec-17-2013, 20:05
I wish this mod had same beautiful clouds as BoB 2: Wings of Victory has.
Wonder how they did that btw.