PDA

View Full Version : Amazon reviews of Cliff of dover

Kling
Oct-21-2013, 05:26
May I ask people, those who have not, if they can be so kind to write some reviews on Amazon.
It has shown, that Amazon is a great tool for spreading the word and and unfortunately the reviews still suffer from the initial reviews from 2011 :(
The reviews on www.Amazon.com still currently has more 1star ratings than anything else :(

Here is a link to Cliffs of dover on Amazon.com (Just click on customer reviews to the right of the main picture)
http://www.amazon.com/IL-2-STURMOVIK-CLIFFS-DOVER-Download/dp/B0051VFI1E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1382347566&sr=8-1&keywords=cliffs+of+dover

It would be great if we could change that!

Thanks!

ATAG_Lewis
Oct-21-2013, 08:35
Rgrt.....This is a big help to the community...

+1

MAKE SURE YOUR REVIEW IS FOR THE INTERNATIONAL AMAZON TOO and give it full 5 STARS! .....not your national one....It makes a big difference

We need to give it 5 stars to balance out the bad 1 star ratings.....

92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)
Oct-21-2013, 08:47
Have posted an updated review. 5 stars.

Archie
Oct-21-2013, 09:26
Done!

MadTommy
Oct-21-2013, 09:29
Will do!

Lensman
Oct-21-2013, 12:25
Done!

Five Stars on Amazon uk:thumbsup:

Kling
Oct-21-2013, 12:26
Thx guys!! These things do make a difference!! :)

Propblast_1
Oct-21-2013, 13:37
Not much of a writer But had to give it a go. done

Ubiquitous
Oct-21-2013, 14:21
<sigh> If you read half of the negative reviews, it is people saying things like

"Apparently this is hosted by an application called "Steam." Steam installs on your machine and likes to change settings. BEWARE."
"Does not work well on pc as far as flight controls with joy stick."

And best of all:

"I wasn't all that happy with the graphics or the flight controls. Trying to see targets and steer towards them, forget it."

because, you know, a flying game where you have to actually 'steer' the aircraft is an obvious non-starter.:doh:

Wasn't Darwinian selection supposed to weed-out these kinds of people for us at some point?

ATAG_Colander
Oct-21-2013, 14:25
That reminded me of some posts in this forum about TF4.

Mysticpuma
Oct-21-2013, 16:16
Done ;)

ATAG_Lewis
Oct-22-2013, 19:56
MAKE SURE YOUR REVIEW IS FOR THE INTERNATIONAL AMAZON TOO and give it full 5 STARS! .....not your national one....It makes a big difference

or paste your same review on both....

We need to give it 5 stars to balance out the 1 star reviews....

ChiefRedCloud
Oct-22-2013, 21:03
Anyone got a link to the International one? just color me lazy .... :recon:

ATAG_Lewis
Oct-22-2013, 21:15
http://www.amazon.com/IL-2-STURMOVIK-CLIFFS-DOVER-Download/product-reviews/B0051VFI1E/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

The International Amazon has over 170 reviews now.....We managed to change the overall rating from 1 to 3 out of 5 since we hit it....

I went through all the reviews and any review that was 4 or 5 I clicked 'Yes' to Helpful...and anything under that I clicked 'No' to Helpful.......I hope that works...lol

Funny seeing all the reviews and recognising names from here...

Old_Canuck
Oct-22-2013, 22:13
Done .. didn't take to long to click "yes" for four stars or higher and "no" for the others.

ATAG_Lewis
Oct-22-2013, 22:35
lol...I'm not sure exactly what that does...I did it just cos the option was there...It can't be bad....

Kling
Oct-22-2013, 22:56
The reviews that got most "likes" will be the reviews that you see on top, unless you click on "see latest reviews".
Therfor, when asked if this review was helpful to you, it IS important to click on Yes for the 5star ones and NO on the 3star and below. ;)

MadTommy
Oct-23-2013, 05:30
here is my review! :)

Cliffs of Dover had a rocky start to its sim life. Released half finished, buggy and unstable, many slated it as a complete turkey. However what it did have was a lot of unrealised potential, it had the potential to be the best hardcore WWII combat flight sim available. Unfortunately due to unexplained delays it was released in a shambolic state, got rightfully poor reviews and was dumped and year later, support & development stopped.

However this was just the beginning. A dedicated team of enthusiasts created a mod team called Team Fusion, who have tirelessly given up their time to polish this turkey! With their latest patch release 4.0 the pooh is clearly shinning.. the sim is stunning, performance is greatly improved, the bugs have been squashed, the online servers are full with 100 players flighting the good fight over the Channel recreating some epic WWII Battle of Britain air wars.

If you enjoy combat flight sims, played IL2, or just like the idea you NEED to try this sim. Those that discounted it due to its initial reviews you NEED to give it a second chance.. the game is now a diamond.

It should come highly recommended to any flight sim fan.

Kling
Oct-23-2013, 09:19
here is my review! :)

Nice one MadTommy! Thx!

ATAG_Lewis
Oct-23-2013, 13:19
Nice one Tom....~S~

MadTommy
Oct-23-2013, 15:12
No worries, I've been plugging away on the DCS forum too. Want to keep the server at 99players.(one space for me)
:)

Kling
Nov-12-2013, 18:28
bump

alphapapa
Nov-14-2013, 15:49
Did my bit under " Wear brown Trousers". I love it!:)

Keep up the good work, chaps!:salute:

alphapapa
Nov-14-2013, 15:53
Didn't think to copy review at the time. Here it is:

"Okay, the virgin, out of the box game is riddled with glitches, but the support from Team Fusion has made this, under the latest patch 4.0, the best flight sim ever. And I've flown them all. Total immersion, brilliant online, and the graphics are so real, I reckon I saw Churchill reviewing the troops. Buy! Buy! Buy! "

Hope it does the trick!

Salute:salute:

RAF74_Buzzsaw
Nov-14-2013, 16:44
Thanks to all who have put in their reviews... the game is now rated at 3 stars and continues to improve. :thumbsup:

Anyone who enjoys the game and TF's patches, and who likes to see the servers populated and the community grow, please add your review. :salute:

Kling
Nov-14-2013, 16:52
Thanks to all who have put in their reviews... the game is now rated at 3 stars and continues to improve. :thumbsup:

Anyone who enjoys the game and TF's patches, and who likes to see the servers populated and the community grow, please add your review. :salute:

Finally!! It was sitting at 2.9 for soo long!

ATAG_Lewis
Nov-15-2013, 14:57
lol....I've been watching at 2.9 thinking...will we ever make 3 stars?....hehe

HurricaneHarvest
Nov-19-2013, 18:18
It won't allow me to write a review unless I purchase something .. F' THAT

HH.

Kling
Nov-19-2013, 19:54
It won't allow me to write a review unless I purchase something .. F' THAT

HH.

Thats really weird! I didnt have that problem at all! :/

ATAG_Snapper
Nov-20-2013, 11:09
Amazon.ca had four dated (pre-Team Fusion) reviews that were generally unfavourable, so I added my review:

5.0 out of 5 stars What a difference a year makes!, Nov. 19 2013

This review is from: IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover (DVD-ROM)

About a year ago a group of programmers, 3D modellers, and aviation tech experts got together and formed an international volunteer work force they dubbed "Team Fusion". Their mission: to take the glitchy, bug-ridden, and prematurely-released, then abandoned disaster called Cliffs of Dover and make it THE best World War 2 combat flight simulator available to the consumer. They have succeeded.

In March, 2013, Team Fusion released its first patch free of charge and instantly transformed the problem-plagued sim into a smooth-running and stunning reproduction of the 1940 Battle of Britain. Although the computer source code was not made available by the manufacturer, the talented programmers in Team Fusion worked closely with their fellow team members to not just eliminate the software bugs, but to recode the flight modelling and characteristics of each aircraft according to huge collections of data obtained through official government archives. The same applied to extensive weaponry research and ballistic studies, damage modelling on each aircraft, and detailed Complex Engine Management for each plane type and variant. The countryside in south eastern England is gorgeous, as is the western coast of Occupied France. If you look skyward, you can see the intertwined contrails high above the clouds in the blue sky as Spitfires and Hurricanes do battle with Messerschmidt 109's and Junkers 88's. Better yet, hop into the virtual cockpit of a Spit, switches on, fuel on, fire up the powerful Merlin engine, and scramble as fast as you can to meet the next onslaught!

Never satisfied, Team Fusion released its second free patch in October, 2013, which unlocked even more features (tanks you can drive and fire!), plus many more tweaks and improvements. Plans are already underway for a future third free patch which promises to be even more revolutionary than the previous two!

With the latest two Team Fusion patches Cliffs of Dover runs very smoothly on most gaming PC's. Ideally the PC should have a current quad core CPU with at least 4 Gigs of RAM, and a Nvidia graphics card in the 500-series or better. The best Operating System is Windows 7 64-bit or Windows 8.

To get these free patches plus a ton of info on Cliffs of Dover you should visit the ATAG Forum: http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/forum.php

ATAG also runs a server that anyone is welcome to fly Cliffs of Dover online via the Internet, free of charge, to pit yourself against other virtual pilots from around the world. A caution, though: it's addictive!

See you over the English Channel!

Cheers,

Snapper

Kling
Jan-24-2014, 03:18
Bump

Valisk_61
Jan-24-2014, 04:42
Added a review to the .com & .co.uk sites.

~S~

Kling
Jan-24-2014, 05:46
Thx Valisk

FAE_Cazador
Jan-24-2014, 16:25
Reviewed @amazon.com with 5 stars and a link to this forum for future buyers to download patches (written in my South European English :) )

Now 194 reviews with 62***** and 34****

priller26
Jan-24-2014, 18:04
I dont see why one would want to do or encourage going on amazon and giving this game a blanket 5 rating, its not a 5 game yet, when I go onto amazon and check reviews, I want honest review and impressions of the items I'm considering purchasing, I dont want to read blanket hyped up reviews of the products I intend to spend my money on, its a disservice to everyone. I realize you want sales to increase, but the game is far from a 5 IMO and such reviews will discourage people from having faith in other views as being too other than objective. There is a nice semi pro coffee machine I want to buy for 2600, I'd like to think the reviews of the machine are "real" and not that 200 people got together to give it a 5 merely to boast sales...thats not what the review process on Amazon is for. If the reviews are so to speak rigged, then what good are they?

I know many of you will disagree with this, but the game was a ONE or ONE minus when it first came out. it was a pretty packaged Alpha state...if you think the game is a 3-4, let it earn a 3-4 legitimately, and not by "balancing out" the reviews...were this game a 5 as it stands now, I assume there would be no need to further patch it, and fix the glitches that still exist. A 5 out of 5 for any product is for one which performs near flawlessly, and has no concerns or issues.

ATAG_JTDawg
Jan-24-2014, 19:18
I dont see why one would want to do or encourage going on amazon and giving this game a blanket 5 rating, its not a 5 game yet, when I go onto amazon and check reviews, I want honest review and impressions of the items I'm considering purchasing, I dont want to read blanket hyped up reviews of the products I intend to spend my money on, its a disservice to everyone. I realize you want sales to increase, but the game is far from a 5 IMO and such reviews will discourage people from having faith in other views as being too other than objective. There is a nice semi pro coffee machine I want to buy for 2600, I'd like to think the reviews of the machine are "real" and not that 200 people got together to give it a 5 merely to boast sales...thats not what the review process on Amazon is for. If the reviews are so to speak rigged, then what good are they?

I know many of you will disagree with this, but the game was a ONE or ONE minus when it first came out. it was a pretty packaged Alpha state...if you think the game is a 3-4, let it earn a 3-4 legitimately, and not by "balancing out" the reviews...were this game a 5 as it stands now, I assume there would be no need to further patch it, and fix the glitches that still exist. A 5 out of 5 for any product is for one which performs near flawlessly, and has no concerns or issues.

OK-- I don't really care if it is buffed up a bit. AN FOR 9.99 sorry who really cares , if we get some new players great ! Now with TF s work it is playable, an deserves another look. EVEN a 12 pack of potty paper costs more then that . This game is worth the 9.99 , I can't believe you would even post something like this . 2 mins i'll never get back
pure rubbish :thumbsup:

Bear Pilot
Jan-24-2014, 20:01
Considering the game in it's current state with TF v4.01 soon to come, and the current selection of quality WWII flight sims, I don't think there is a better option.

To my knowledge there isn't a cfs on the market at this very moment that approaches CloD's DM, FM, graphics, MP capabilities, or overall potential.

I think DCS: WWII will be very impressive when it comes out and will surely play it. With just the P-51 flyable at the moment, it's just not the same. In due time though...

In my book 5 stars should go to the best, and right now there are simply no WWII competitors that come close as far as a cfs set in a specific theater.

Plus, it's only getting better!

ATAG_Lewis
Jan-24-2014, 20:08

Yep..Too right many of us will disagree.....I think the sim is worth a 5 STAR rating...I have over 1000 hours on it and I think its well worth it...I think that the overall rating in Amazon is way off reality and that no one who doesn't read the reviews or dates properly which many don't will get the distinct impression that this game is neither functional or entertainment value for their money if we hadn't done this...In short I do not want folks to dismiss this sim because of some outdated and totally inaccurate reviews....I think it would be an absolute disgrace to see fellow flight simmers turn away from something they may get 1000 hours of fun out of for £9.99 because they read a bad review from 2 and a half years ago....I and others here are prepared to do something about that because we care about this community...and we see the bigger picture more than some reviews on Amazon

Many here have worked very hard to fight against the flood of bad reviews that this sim had in the early days...all we are doing is evening up what originally was a one sided debate..Anyone who wants to do their homework on Amazon will clearly see that before a certain date the reviews were totally different...they just have to look at the dates and read if they can be bothered..many can't for £9.99...and lets not forget that in all our hard work here all we have done is raise the overall star rating by 1 or maybe 1.5 stars out of 5 in Amazon....

As for patching...The original IL2 is still being patched too...So what?

As for 5 out of 5 stars means a game performs flawlessly..Thats your perspective...Its certainly not mine...If I have 1000 hours of enjoyment out of a sim I will give it a 5 stars irrelevent of if it performs flawlessly or not...and if a sim is 95% flawless that would still be closer to a 5 star than a 4...

There's nothing to discuss here....If folks want to do it they will...and if they don't then they wont...

♣_Spiritus_♣
Jan-24-2014, 21:20
Done.

5 Stars. Hopefully people look at the review dates. I always do when I look at them. Like a fine wine, this sim is just gonna get better with age.

I can drink it now and say 5 of 5, or I can wait for another 4 patches and still say 5 of 5. If you have the machine to run this game at max I can't see any negative about it... and this is coming from someone who just dealt with 6 days of launcher failures which once solved (Windows update, not the game) runs perfectly.

I can fly an entire 4 hour misson with out even spotting anyone and still have a ball just flying and looking at the scenery, learning instruments, so on. If VR becomes a reality for us here all I will need is a fan to wire to my canopy open/close button and I will never get closer to the real thing.

Simply awesome.

priller26
Jan-24-2014, 23:13
Given the response, I think some people lack balance in life ;)

ATAG_JTDawg
Jan-24-2014, 23:38
Given the response, I think some people lack balance in life ;)

Right back at ya ! ;;) it's a steal at that price . What players get now, compared to how it was, is night an day . This is a small community. Look on the Forums , all the new guys everyday saying wow, great awesome , An I haven't seen 1 post of MAN i paid 10 bucks for this crap game , an they ripped me off . If you can find 1 . i'll go back on an give it 1 star an a bad review.
Maybe it is you that lacks the balance here an in your life . Please think before posting BS pov

ps my wink is bigger

priller26
Jan-25-2014, 00:12
Right back at ya ! ;;) it's a steal at that price . What players get now, compared to how it was, is night an day . This is a small community. Look on the Forums , all the new guys everyday saying wow, great awesome , An I haven't seen 1 post of MAN i paid 10 bucks for this crap game , an they ripped me off . If you can find 1 . i'll go back on an give it 1 star an a bad review.
Maybe it is you that lacks the balance here an in your life . Please think before posting BS pov

ps my wink is bigger

I do refrain from posting BS, which I interpret as meaning Blind Subservience.....calling someones post/opinion BS in the spirit which I'm sure you mean it is rather 6th grade schoolyard manners. I thought we were all entitled to our opinions? Tolerance and diversity in the marketplace of ideas. I think the game is great, I don't think its a 5, but if you do, so be it. I just don't believe Amazons' rating system should be used in this matter. You do.

ATAG_JTDawg
Jan-25-2014, 00:52
I do refrain from posting BS, which I interpret as meaning Blind Subservience.....calling someones post/opinion BS in the spirit which I'm sure you mean it is rather 6th grade schoolyard manners. I thought we were all entitled to our opinions? Tolerance and diversity in the marketplace of ideas. I think the game is great, I don't think its a 5, but if you do, so be it. I just don't believe Amazons' rating system should be used in this matter. You do.

You see a picture . I see the big picture , You need to see the big picture. Not to long ago there was nobody flying = remember 1 -3 or 4 players some nights none others . Not fun .
Then some players got this going , an since TF was giving us GAME changers. 3.0 an 3.1 an 4.0 . Never mind = just think why ...

=vit_unit=
Jan-25-2014, 02:05
:(
I can't send a review because I didn't buy anything on this site.

Is there any chance to put my good mark on BoB without any purchase?

StormBat
Jan-25-2014, 04:46

Your right... I don't agree with you, and I also don't think its false advertising/reviews either. This game(vanilla) was a giant turd in the punch bowl even after it's final patch from it's creators. But now with TF 4.01 just around the corner and the future plans for TF mod patch 5.00, which will include a new front and flyable aircraft along with new sounds and better fps graphics and objects will make this sim the best for years to come, better then even the newer flight sims being worked on right now. So what if it has a few bugs these aren't show stoppers by any means and most peoples computers handle the patches extremely well without any major issues. And the fact that it's only going to get better and better with a passionate team working on it for the love of it and not expecting any monetary kickbacks from it just shows how much this sim is miles high over anything out there now. But you are right about one thing it doesn't deserve a 5 out of 5, it deserves 10 out of 5 for such an awesome mod team, and community that loves it and is just as passionate about it. :cheers: and good day.... I said GOOD DAY!

ATAG_Septic
Jan-25-2014, 06:36
I do disagree Priller old chap. For me a perfect game is one that provides 2000+ hours for a tenner! No extras, no micro-transactions. For that price the game is worth the cost to me even without all the combat. Just to be able to take an historical aircraft over a beautifully recreated 1940s English landscape is worth the entrance fee. I reported honestly that a high-end PC is needed and that the game has continued support albeit by the community, which is more than can be said for many titles.

Cliffs of Dover has not reached its potential by a long way but that does not detract for me from its worth.

I could read between the lines of your post and become very defensive, but I won't. I can live without reviews of my reviews quite happily though.

Cheers old chap,

Septic.:salute:

hugso
Jan-25-2014, 15:08
In my book this is still the best WW 2 flight sim, and all for a tenner! As long as folks have a fairly high spec graphics card it flies really well. Even without letting rip at the enemy just flying around the lovely countryside, especially around dusk with gorgeous pink clouds, and dropping in on some of those grass airfields is a joy. And flying low and slow past a one of the beautifully modelled trains as it steams along is fantastic. They are so realistic I feel I ought to getting the engine number.

I hope there are plans for Oculus Rift to be enabled. That would really be take things to another level - anyone know if this is a possibility?

RAF74_Buzzsaw
Jan-25-2014, 17:08
Everyone is entitled to their opinions.

However, I would remind posters that people's decisions as to whether or not to buy and play a game are to a large degree dependent on what they read.

And since there are no time limits on reviews at this particular site, and since the negative reviews are about a version of a game which is not played anymore, (the great majority of players of CoD are now using TF's mods) therefore those reviews written in 2011 are in fact providing disinformation about the current state of the game and its value as an investment in money and time. And those reviews are skewing the overall rating of the game in a negative direction.

So we would continue to encourage members of the community to post their impressions of the game as it exists now.

We are seeing a real growth in the CoD community at the moment, some of which is undoubtably due to the more positive reviews the game has been receiving lately. And of course, the bigger the community the more enjoyment for all.

Thanks to everyone who has posted. :salute:

ATAG_Snapper
Jan-25-2014, 17:41
Everyone is entitled to their opinions.

However, I would remind posters that people's decisions as to whether or not to buy and play a game are to a large degree dependent on what they read.

And since there are no time limits on reviews at this particular site, and since the negative reviews are about a version of a game which is not played anymore, (the great majority of players of CoD are now using TF's mods) therefore those reviews written in 2011 are in fact providing disinformation about the current state of the game and its value as an investment in money and time. And those reviews are skewing the overall rating of the game in a negative direction.

So we would continue to encourage members of the community to post their impressions of the game as it exists now.

We are seeing a real growth in the CoD community at the moment, some of which is undoubtably due to the more positive reviews the game has been receiving lately. And of course, the bigger the community the more enjoyment for all.

Thanks to everyone who has posted. :salute:

Well said. +1

EDIT: Just posted my review! 5 Stars all the way! :thumbsup:

II/JG3~Siggi
Jan-29-2014, 05:56
Done. :)

Kling
Jan-29-2014, 06:39
Done. :)

Thank you!

donik
Jan-29-2014, 08:52
Hey all, I posted a review. Gave it 5 stars.

I was a pre-orderer of this game and like most was devastated by it's release. I've finally picked it back up over the last week, using TF 4.0 and I have to say, wow is it good! Very soon I will be flying online, providing target practice for all you vets :D

ATAG_Septic
Jan-29-2014, 09:50
Hi Donik,

Welcome to the forum! :thumbsup:

If you need any assistance getting up-to-speed with Cliffs please let us know. Plenty of helpful chaps here.

There's been many new players since Team Fusion 4.0 but we are trying to spread the word further, what was it brought you you back to Cliffs?

Cheers,

Kling
Jan-29-2014, 10:32
Hey all, I posted a review. Gave it 5 stars.

I was a pre-orderer of this game and like most was devastated by it's release. I've finally picked it back up over the last week, using TF 4.0 and I have to say, wow is it good! Very soon I will be flying online, providing target practice for all you vets :D

Thank you donik!!!

ChiefRedCloud
Jan-29-2014, 12:17
Indeed ..... This is as of today ----> 7186

ATAG_Snapper
Jan-29-2014, 12:31
Indeed ..... This is as of today ----> 7186

Good stuff! I think most prospective buyers will note that the negative reviews are mainly old ones and the highly positive reviews are more recent Team Fusion-patched versions.

:)

donik
Jan-29-2014, 17:25
Hi Donik,

Welcome to the forum! :thumbsup:

If you need any assistance getting up-to-speed with Cliffs please let us know. Plenty of helpful chaps here.

There's been many new players since Team Fusion 4.0 but we are trying to spread the word further, what was it brought you you back to Cliffs?

Cheers,

Hey, thanks Septic :thumbsup:

I appreciate the offer! I've been in and out of Cliffs since release, but was always relatively put off with it. My buddy (and member here) Royraiden turned me on to you guys around patch 3.x. I played around a bit with it but never got too serious into it. Tiring of RoF and looking to get back into WW2, I decided to get the latest installed and see what it had to offer. Needless to say I'm impressed with the accomplishments! I've been spending the last few days fine tuning my controls setup (full ch hotas, including pedals and quadrant) to something I like and can remember, and readjusting to flying 200+ mph rather than 100+ mph in a kite. After flying RoF almost exclusively for over a year, I feel like I'm in a jet.

At any rate, I think I'm going to try my hand on the server tonight and see where I end up :flying:

AllMattersFecal
Feb-04-2014, 18:41

This is exactly what I thought when I saw this thread...and the responses to this post are exactly what I expected here. Good on you priller26 for stating a centered moral aspect of product review that, imo, should have been recognized by everyone who submit a review.

You'd be surprised at how many people don't want to mess around with mod downloads and the like...or even if they do, they want to play single player only, and the game still isn't up to par in that respect. So the game to them still is one-star worthy...unfortunately for you guys, the Amazon page isn't reviewing the Team Fusion patches, but Cliffs of Dover.

I submitted a review and gave it my fair opinion given the release state, trouble/frustration it caused during it's subsequent patching in the year+ after release, and the Team Fusion patches...still only netted one-star from me, though a thumbs up to those trying to make the game better. Just wasn't worth the end-user time investment needed to get going, too little too late, and it still inexplicably runs like garbage with shading issues and stuttering on multiple new gaming rigs when playing online.

I can't see how a community can argue with or lambaste a respectfully stated opinion, but I imagine I'm about to be surprised given the previous comments on this thread.

Valisk_61
Feb-04-2014, 19:02
unfortunately for you guys, the Amazon page isn't reviewing the Team Fusion patches, but Cliffs of Dover.

Maybe not, but all of the positive reviews mention that you need to get the TF patches before it becomes a five star game.

I stand by every word in the review I posted.

9./JG52_J-HAT
Feb-04-2014, 19:13
Well, I agree with Priller's and your opinion in part.

The reason is, each one measures a good game differently. For me it would be a five start game because I am mostly happy with it. It doesn't stutter, I get good fps, I play MP, which works, I have fun, it's complex enough, I've never had a single problem which I couldn't solve etc. Those are my criteria. For someone who just plays single player, it may be just 3 stars for whatever reason. For someone which isn't knowledgable of computers or doesn't want to mess with patches, it may be a 1 star. When it came out it was still not a 1 star for me because I could play it. Others have rated five star because they considered the potential behind it. And wrote it too.
As long as the accompanying text explains why the stars are giving, it's not deceiving. The reviews are just the individual's opinions at the end.
Add to that it's usually on sale for around $10 to $15 and it may get an even better rating.

I've bought so many things where there was an equal amount of 1 stars and 5 stars. I just make sure I read why people are tiving these ratings. I may end up being on the 1 star side if I enxounter the same problems, or may be on the 5 star side if I don't.

By the way, I've seen so much crap on these kind of reviews (not just CloD related) it's not even worth mentioning. Sometimes it's clear the person doesn't have the least idea of what they are talking about and still think they should post something bad about it. It's sort of like people saying the game is crap because their 3 year old rig back in 2011 couldn't play the game on full but could max out Call of Duty 4.

ATAG_Lewis
Feb-04-2014, 19:23
It is true that no one can argue with someones opinion......and lets not forget that that is exactly what a review is....an opinion.

and.....its a review of a game.

Zisi
Feb-12-2014, 21:32
In my book 5 stars should go to the best, and right now there are simply no WWII competitors that come close as far as a cfs set in a specific theater.

^This^

There isn't a better option, it's not perfect, but it's pretty darn good, and the best that exists atm.

ATAG_Lewis
May-21-2014, 08:07
Amazon reviews remain at 3 / 5 at the moment.....

439th_Wtornado
May-21-2014, 10:45
Has anyone ever considered why ''PEOPLE'' and not the community who have and bought the game
have given it a 1/5 rating? It is not getting the community to vote to bolster up the numbers that
will change the opinion of the voters that actually did vote it down.

It is those pilots that voted 1/5 that you WANT and you have to convince it is over a 3/5 and not the
community itself.

We are already in the air hehehe.

Rebel
May-21-2014, 14:06
Posted! 5/5

It's common knowledge that this sim was released in a, shall we say, "imperfect state". It has since been brought back to life, and lifted as the platinum standard by which all other flight sims will be measured.

In truth, the flight sim on release sucked. It's development saga translates as a Russian tragedy, with on-again/off-again cycles, questionable priorities, and a whole slew of other issues.

Enter ATAG's Team Fusion updates (as of this writing at v4.312). What others did for Falcon 4.0, these guys did for Cliffs of Dover. The Battle of Britain was the greatest contest between air forces ever witnessed by man, certainly worthy of attention by flight sim developers, and demanding the absolute best from them to properly do it justice.

With the TF community mod, Pilots will enjoy the highest quality, most realistic flight model yet seen, bolstered by incredible depth, accurate gunnery and damage models, dynamic campaigns for Royal Air Force and Luftwaffe fighters AND bombers of all types, and a multiplayer environment that is second to none in both its attention to detail, and willingness to help you get up flying and fighting effectively.

If you're willing to put in a little time, the reward here is near priceless in terms of gameplay, authenticity, and artistry.

Come fly with us. You won't regret it. I promise.

-R

92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)
May-21-2014, 14:09
Posted! 5/5

Just one minor correction. TF is not "ATAG's".
ATAG =/= Team Fusion.

Salute.

Rebel
May-21-2014, 14:51
Just one minor correction. TF is not "ATAG's".
ATAG =/= Team Fusion.

Salute.

Really? I thought it was.... well. Color me dimwitted. :)

joffan34
May-21-2014, 15:28
Done, 5/5 from me.

92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)
May-21-2014, 15:33

No trouble, the distinction is not always clear.

TF is made up of players from many squadrons, and also players who are not members of any squad at all. There are ATAG people within TF, but TF is not an ATAG thing.
ATAG does however provide the "forum space" for TF to use, which is appreciated.

RAF74_Buzzsaw
May-21-2014, 18:19
The whole point of Team Fusion was that it brought together all the best of the Community... anyone who has talent and energy is welcome as long as they are prepared to work as a part of the group.

ATAG has very generously provided space for our forums, and has loaned us the use of their 2nd server when we need to do Alpha/Beta testing.

We certainly encourage people to support ATAG with donations to their server/forum because of their support. :salute:

ATAG_Bliss
May-21-2014, 18:30

Yeah lots of people have that thought. The reason being ATAG started TF in essentially our private forums. As it grew we all agreed upon a name for it. So ATAG does not equal Team Fusion. ATAG just created it.

DUI
May-21-2014, 20:44
So ATAG does not equal ATAG. ATAG just created it.

What a philosophic statement - a lot to think about. :D

ATAG_Snapper
May-21-2014, 21:05
Yeah lots of people have that thought. The reason being ATAG started TF in essentially our private forums. As it grew we all agreed upon a name for it. So ATAG does not equal ATAG. ATAG just created it.

What a philosophic statement - a lot to think about. :D

Ha! Good typo catch! :)

(Corrected. Thx! :thumbsup: )

heinzknocke
May-22-2014, 02:09
Just reviewed it 5 stars from me hope it helps.

Heinz

:-)

Continu0
May-22-2014, 02:45
Also guys, you can review this game on steam! certainly helps too!

ATAG_Lewis
May-22-2014, 11:13
Also guys, you can review this game on steam! certainly helps too!

Very important too.... +1

Kling
Jun-04-2014, 18:18
Bump

Kling
Nov-27-2014, 05:36
We have had some bad reviews lately on Amazon, only from people who dont know about the TF patches but have only tried the vanilla game and given it a one star rating.

Would be greatly appreciated if people here can make some more posts on Amazon with some info about the TF patches.. ;)

Salute

hnbdgr
Nov-27-2014, 06:21
also the game is for sale for $2.50 on amazon.com right now.

UK buyers might have luck doing this:

http://www.ghacks.net/2012/06/30/how-to-purchase-digital-games-at-amazon-from-outside-the-us/

Thought I haven't tested it so be careful when going through the process.

Chuck_Owl
Nov-28-2014, 19:42
Just added my review here.

http://www.amazon.com/IL-2-STURMOVIK-CLIFFS-DOVER-Download/product-reviews/B0051VFI1E/ref=cm_cr_pr_top_recent?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addFiveStar&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

I also added a review on Metacritic.

http://www.metacritic.com/user/Charles_O

Chuck_Owl
Dec-05-2014, 11:53
Man... sometimes amazon is REALLY depressing. Especially when reading about guys like "Gino".

http://www.amazon.com/use-a-mouse/forum/Fx3GXOCYC5E68GP/Tx3NJLS8L2KI4DQ/1/ref=cm_cd_ql_tlc_al?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B0051VFI1E

Gino said on December 3, 2014 |

Don't use anything. The game DOES NOT WORK! Not with a mouse, not even with a flightstick (tried TWO different proven working sticks), a little with the keyboard, but the planes just roll over and fly into the ocean (or ground) after a few minutes. There is absolutely NO CONTROL of any plane or vehicle in this game. There is a reason this game is cheap - IT DOES NOT WORK, not for me, not for my friends. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY!

Charles said on December 4, 2014 |

Gino,

I have a very difficult time believing that the game "DOES NOT WORK". There are thousands of users including myself that run the game with flightstick, rudder pedals and trackIR just fine. I highly recommend you sign up on the ATAG forums and ask for help (link: http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/forum.php ). There are some people who run into installation issues (and sometimes joystick issues), but once they spend 10 minutes with a good samaritan from the ATAG community they suddenly find solutions and answers to all these impossible issues. There is literally a swarm of helpful individuals that can and WILL help you sort these kind of issues for free. There could be many causes about why your flight stick doesn't respond (outdated drivers for instance), hardware malfunction or even something as silly as mapping your throttle/stick/prop pitch axes to the "keyboard" controls rather than the "axes" controls menu. This game works, and if you are willing to put in a little effort and patience we can help you sort these inconvenient issues.

Gino said on December 4, 2014 |

Charles - please reread my reply. I am NOT THE ONLY person that had the same results. My drivers are fine, my sticks are fine with every other flight sim I play, the same for my friends' machines which are even more sophisticated than mine. All my other flight sims are fine, even IL-2/1946 - if you're looking for a connection... Look, I'm just trying to save someone some money and aggravation, that is all. I'm not looking for some kind of Spanish Inquisition - the game is just the buggiest in the IL-2 series, and DOES NOT work for me, or anyone I know.

Charles said on December 5, 2014 |

I did read it very thoughtfully the first time, friend, and my answer remains unchanged.
I'm sorry, but you are not the first person to tell me that this game is buggy and doesn't work. I do not know how many of your friends share your issues, but I fly with hundreds of people every week that have no such issues and run the game like a charm. I've helped dozens of people like you in the past and I am certainly not the type of guy to accept a "NO, it doesn't work because it's crap and there's nothing you can do about it" response for any matter. That's just not how these things work. Have you asked for help on ATAG? If you haven't done so and are not willing to do so, I'm afraid there is just nothing I can do to help you nor change your mind.
But please, before you go and give a game a bad press, make sure you tried at very least asking for help (to people who actually know what they're talking about) before you make the assumption that the game "doesn't work".

Gino said on December 5, 2014 |

Charles - when paying good money for a game, ANY game, it should work perfectly right out of the box without having to mess around with your computer to "get it to work." That's just bad marketing! If you want to sell more of your product it should work well without modification, period. This game is obviously not ready for mass release, or release at all really. I don't know what kind of machine or software you or whoever else you supposedly fly with run. You may have some supercomputer (I'm guessing you might) and before you even start thinking it, no, I don't have any desire to get into some sort of pissing match over who has the more sophisticated systems you and your friends, or me and mine. Or for all I know, maybe you and your friends are running older machines? Maybe that's the trick? Whatever, the point is moot. Bottom line... a game, (or any product really) should work perfectly right out of the box without ANY modifications regardless of one's equipment as long as the requirements for the game are met by whoever purchases said product. This game/simulation does not meet those simple, basic requirements for enjoyment by the end users, therefore the product is not ready for mass production, let alone sale. Simple economics. You may have been able to get this product to work, but the vast majority of people WILL NOT have a successful, let alone enjoyable experience. A better alternative that requires absolutely no modification to run, not to mention looks far better graphically and has better audio would be any of the DCS franchises for example. Good to go right out of the box! People should stay away from Cliffs of Dover - it is a major DUD. End of story. As you can see from the other reviews, my circle of friends and I are not the only ones to come to this conclusion. Sorry. By the way, I looked into ATAG. I have better things to do than live on my computer and attempt to resolve an issue via e-mail, that may, or may not be answered, let alone be resolved. I guess I'm old school. I've moved on to the more successful DCS series (ages ago) and will probably never purchase another IL-2 franchise ever again for obvious reasons, nor will my friends. Sorry. Have a good "life" Charles.

Charles said on December 5, 2014 |

"I have better things to do than live on my computer and attempt to resolve an issue via e-mail, that may, or may not be answered, let alone be resolved. I guess I'm old school."

That statement alone explains a lot.

Don't be sorry, Gino. You are entitled to your opinion and I'm certainly not gonna twist your arm or waste my breath trying to (metaphorically) beat some sense into you. I don't have that much free time on my hands.

The only thing I can say is that Cliffs of Dover has a long and complicated history. The game publisher dropped support for the game (just like they did with Il-2 1946, mind you), and community efforts helped fix the games. For CloD, Team Fusion is basically the Team Daidalos of 1946.

ATAG_Colander
Dec-05-2014, 12:00
I bet he's trying to use a console controller.

Otyg
Dec-05-2014, 12:18
Is that you chuck? Trying to help him? Just ddos him and be rid of himHe won't be helped even if you force him.

If that is you, you have a patient of a saint. Haha. Man some people are stupid out of the box.

He's like my youngest kid. Nope! Won't work. But if we put the wheels on the bottom of the Lego car? Nope!!! It won't work. *angry face*

Chuck_Owl
Dec-05-2014, 12:20
Is that you chuck? Trying to help him? Just ddos him and be rid of himHe won't be helped even if you force him.

If that is you, you have a patient of a saint. Haha. Man some people are stupid out of the box.

He's like my youngest kid. Nope! Won't work. But if we put the wheels on the bottom of the Lego car? Nope!!! It won't work. *angry face*

Yep, was me all right.

Otyg
Dec-05-2014, 12:21
Yep, was me all right.

I salut you. *hats off*

ATAG_Colander
Dec-05-2014, 12:22
Well, if he feels that way because he can't configure a joystick, imagine him complaining because the planes don't fly by them selves :)

Chuck_Owl
Dec-05-2014, 12:29
Meh... sometimes I wonder why I even bother.

Vlerkies
Dec-05-2014, 12:42
The guys an idiot, I would go back and edit the metaphorical part out of the comment.

edit: and offer him a war thunder link and a http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01506/mouse_1506843c.jpg

Continu0
Dec-05-2014, 12:48
Meh... sometimes I wonder why I even bother.

cause you care about the game which is appreciated by the community. I try to do my best to help german members as well, but once a while such people appear and you have to accept that your power there is limited. Frustrating, I know...

♣_Spiritus_♣
Dec-05-2014, 13:10
<snip> "Charles - when paying good money for a game, ANY game, it should work perfectly right out of the box without having to mess around with your computer to "get it to work."

Well given that US amazon has it for either $2.99 or $5.99 at any given moment....Amazon actually has a lot of great reviews if you filter from newest. This buyer should see that it obviously works but needs patches and tweaks.

As the old saying goes, you can lead a horse to water but you can't force it to drink.

Can't win them all Chuck, don't worry, hopefully he'll cool down and swing by and see that in fact, just on ATAG that 7,000+ enjoy this game enough to be part of a community.

<snip>"By the way, I looked into ATAG. I have better things to do than live on my computer and attempt to resolve an issue via e-mail, that may, or may not be answered, let alone be resolved. I guess I'm old school. I've moved on to the more successful DCS series (ages ago) and will probably never purchase another IL-2 franchise ever again for obvious reasons, nor will my friends. Sorry. Have a good "life" Charles."

This says its all. Move on and wash your hands of it. For every one of him, we'll get 30 new comers eager to join our community and reap the rewards of ATAG, TF and CloD.

ATAG_Septic
Dec-05-2014, 16:01
You made a very generous effort Chuck, both for trying to assist the chap with the entitlement problem and for promoting Team Fusion and the Cliffs of Dover community.

:salute:

Septic.

Tinkicker
Dec-06-2014, 06:00
5 star review duly given on Amazon UK.

ATAG_Lewis
Aug-27-2016, 12:35
This thread needs to be re-addressed....

Look at the 'Most Recent Customer Reviews' on the lower right of this page....Checkout all the 1 star ratings!

https://www.amazon.com/2-Sturmovik-Cliffs-Dover-PC/dp/B004L5SJ4Y/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

We should not be getting so many 1 star ratings since TF have done their magic...My guess is that this is folks who are not aware of TeamFusion patches...

I have just visited Amazon and the CLOD version with the most positive reviews in the UK Amazon is now 'Currently Unavailable' game....Other versions have very few reviews and the main CLOD page has 308 reviews at present and a score of 3 out of 5..

Many new folks are placing 1 star ratings who have not got the game running on rigs running Windows 10....A lot of these folks do not mention TeamFusion and my guess is they know nothing of TeamFusion....How do we resolve that?...We need folks who invest in this sim recently to be immediately aware of the TF patches to get this sim up and running successfully...

Really miffed at this after all the work we did when we started this campaign...sigh!

9./JG52 Sturm
Aug-29-2016, 13:56
Considering apparently installing Steam is a 'nightmare' some people aren't going to contemplate running a TF modded version.
Steam, hard to install... Come on.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk