PDA

View Full Version : Microstutters and FPS glitch

ATAG_NakedSquirrel
Oct-21-2013, 13:30
Getting great FPS, especially with explosions. I am still noticing micro-stutters (separate from the brief MP freezes).

Wondering if anyone else is getting these issues, what your specs are, and if you have better ways to resolve them.

Microstutters
These occur for me when the FPS fluctuates, usually around 4-5 FPS. Even if I have an FPS of 80, and the FPS drops to 76, I will get a micro stutter. V-sync doesn't help, but FPS limiting when I use FRAPS recording does seem to reduce any micro stutters. (I tried using MSI afterburner to limit FPS, but it doesn't seem to work)

FPS glitch
Every once in a while my FPS will get cut in half to around 30 FPS. FPS will jump around drastically and the game is reduced to a jumpy slide show (Despite being 30 FPS). The only fix I've found for this is to alt tab out of the game and jump back in and the FPS will return to 60+

Specs:
AMD 8350 4ghz
8gb RAM
Nvidia GTX: 480
SSD HD

ATAG_NakedSquirrel
Oct-22-2013, 11:15
Adaptive V-sync in Nvidia control panel is also reducing and almost eliminating microstutters for me. I have the most success with the adaptive v-sync 1/2 refresh rate setting (30fps limit).

Mattias
Oct-22-2013, 19:23
:salute:

Without knowing what in-game video settings you use, my guess is that your GPU is your weak link and that it simply struggles in some situations. A minimum of 30 FPS is not uncommon even with much newer/more powerful GPU's:thumbsup:

flightdok
Oct-23-2013, 10:35

Without knowing what in-game video settings you use, my guess is that your GPU is your weak link and that it simply struggles in some situations. A minimum of 30 FPS is not uncommon even with much newer/more powerful GPU's:thumbsup:

Can someone tell me what is the best setting in the Nvidia Control Panel for optimization of the game......My specs are i7 2700 3.4 gig. CPU, and a GTX 580 card, and 16 Gigs. DDR3 memory......thanks

ATAG_Lewis
Oct-23-2013, 13:15
Just started a discussion thread on Nvidia Control Panel settings....Hopefully get an overall consensus from those in the know...as at the mo the info is a quite diverse....

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6534&p=69318#post69318

flightdok
Oct-23-2013, 15:34
Just started a discussion thread on Nvidia Control Panel settings....Hopefully get an overall consensus from those in the know...as at the mo the info is a quite diverse....

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6534&p=69318#post69318

Thanks Lewis......I'll check it out......

ATAG_NakedSquirrel
Oct-23-2013, 16:44

I think you're misunderstanding. I normally get an FPS of: ~40 min, avg ~60, ~80 high. I lock my FPS at 30 because I notice constant micro-stutters when the FPS jumps by 2-3 frames, even when the FPS is above 60.

In other words, the game actually looks smoother locked at 30 FPS than it does running at 80 FPS.

I can tell when settings stress the GPU and my FPS drops, but there must be some sort of bottleneck or sync error if it's stuttering at 60+ fps.

Mattias
Oct-23-2013, 16:48
I think you're misunderstanding. I normally get an FPS of: ~40 min, avg ~60, ~80 high. I lock my FPS at 30 because I notice constant micro-stutters when the FPS jumps by 2-3 frames, even when the FPS is above 60.

In other words, the game actually looks smoother locked at 30 FPS than it does running at 80 FPS

yes sorry -I thought 30 was your minimum, not 2-3. That's a bit of a difference I must admit :D

ATAG_NakedSquirrel
Oct-23-2013, 18:26

yes sorry -I thought 30 was your minimum, not 2-3. That's a bit of a difference I must admit :D

30-40 is my min. I can try to make a recording later, but basically what I mean is I'll have an FPS of: [70, 70, 71, 71, 70, 72, 78, 70, ...]

When the FPS jumps to 78 and back to 70 I get micro stutters. When I lock my FPS to never exceed 30, things seem a little sluggish, but I dont get stutters.

I could probably lock the FPS at 60 if I turned shadows off, but shadows are pretty :P

The trouble when different people say they get 'micro-stutters' is it's hard to tell if it's the jittery problem I see when FPS jumps around, or if it's the stutter you get when a new plane spawns or a plane formation comes within LOD range. Anyhow, FPS jump is one of them.

=BKHZ=Furbs
Oct-25-2013, 17:24
Im getting the FPS drops too, its completely smooth at 60 then for no reason now and again it drops to about 15 then straight back up to 60, seems its not my GPU, because it doesn't seem to related to what's on the screen...flying home across the channel low level in my 109, nothing on screen apart from the water, i look left, right and back, still at 60 FPS, do the same again and then the drop to 15, then straight back to 60.

Really not sure yet what the cause is.

ATAG_NakedSquirrel
Oct-25-2013, 19:11
Im getting the FPS drops too, its completely smooth at 60 then for no reason now and again it drops to about 15 then straight back up to 60, seems its not my GPU, because it doesn't seem to related to what's on the screen...flying home across the channel low level in my 109, nothing on screen apart from the water, i look left, right and back, still at 60 FPS, do the same again and then the drop to 15, then straight back to 60.

Does it drop to 15 on FRAPS / in game FPS or does it just feel like it drops that much?

I noticed the same thing when looking back and forth, but my FPS didn't drop to 15, it would drop by 2 frames. So it would drop from 60 to 58 and back up to 60. Even though that's what the FPS reads in game, it 'feels and looks' like it dropped to 10 FPS.

These are the stutter/FPS problems I've noticed so far:

1: Microstutters: when the framerate moves up and down by 2-3 fps and causes a stutter.
- Fixed by locking your maximum FPS
2: Memory leak?: Every once in a while I'll notice my FPS will randomly drop to a slide show
- Fixed by alt tabbing and returning to the game or by clicking 'escape' and 'fly' again. Kind of sucks in the middle of a dogfight, but at least it is fixable
3: Freezes: The game pauses for half a second before resuming as normal
*In Singleplayer, this seems to happen when AI are changing their routine (eg. from attack to retreat). I usually notice one at least once per SP mission, but not often.
*In Multiplayer, I'm not sure if it's when new aircraft spawn in or when you come within range of new aircraft/ground objects. I definitely notice it more often on the Dunkirk mission than other missions.
-No fix, but they don't happen frequently

ATAG_NakedSquirrel
Oct-25-2013, 19:13

Does it drop to 15 on FRAPS / in game FPS or does it just feel like it drops that much?

I noticed the same thing when looking back and forth, but my FPS didn't drop to 15, it would drop by 2 frames. So it would drop from 60 to 58 and back up to 60. Even though that's what the FPS reads in game, it 'feels and looks' like it dropped to 10 FPS for a microsecond

These are the stutter/FPS problems I've noticed so far:

1: Microstutters: when the framerate moves up and down by 2-3 fps and causes a stutter.
- Fixed by locking your maximum FPS
2: Memory leak?: Every once in a while I'll notice my FPS will randomly drop to a slide show
- Fixed by alt tabbing and returning to the game or by clicking 'escape' and 'fly' again. Kind of sucks in the middle of a dogfight, but at least it is fixable
3: Freezes: The game pauses for half a second before resuming as normal
*In Singleplayer, this seems to happen when AI are changing their routine (eg. from attack to retreat). I usually notice one at least once per SP mission, but not often.
*In Multiplayer, I'm not sure if it's when new aircraft spawn in or when you come within range of new aircraft/ground objects. I definitely notice it more often on the Dunkirk mission than other missions.
-No fix, but they don't happen frequently

=BKHZ=Furbs
Oct-26-2013, 00:47
Actual drop to 15 with FRAPS running, feels even lower because it stutters at the same time.

=BKHZ=Furbs
Oct-27-2013, 09:24
Update.

FPS drops much reduced.

Droped building detail to high, dropped building amount to high.

dburne
Oct-27-2013, 14:34
You guys are seriously seeing fps of 60 and up?
The sim looks great and is very smooth for me, especially with TF4, but I sure don't see fps quite that high. I run vsync so my fps is limited to 60, but it is very rare for me to see it get up that high, upper 30's low 40's is about what I see on average, maybe some 50's occasionally when no one else is around and I am not over dense populated terrain.

Tvrdi
Oct-27-2013, 15:46
I must admit that microstutters are very rare for me now, after 4.0 patch,.....

@Naked - I tried "regular" adaptive vsync (ingame vsync is off) and it seams it doesnt work as good as normal vsync becAuse i still see some tearing. Though i must try with 1/2 adaptive vsync. Do you have ingame vsync unchecked?

flightdok
Oct-29-2013, 16:48
[QUOTE=Tvrdi;70548]I must admit that microstutters are very rare for me now, after 4.0 patch,.....]

I tried an experiment that I saw in another post about turning "off" the "Speech" folder.....and this did away with any of the "Microstutters" I was still having after the 4.00 Patch.......it will be nice if they can figure out what is causing them when the "voice" speech comes on in the game.....I still get the "written" part in text, but this does not cause any "Microstutters" for me at all.........Happy Flying and Good Hunting!.......Flightdok...........:)............

Faustnik
Nov-02-2013, 13:35
Hi have a bad problem with stutters with 4 patch. Was great with 3 patch.

video card is 670

Falco
Nov-02-2013, 17:05
What drivers are you using, 331.65 has been working great for me, also do the dx and netframework fix, and clear you cache in the documents folder:salute:

dburne
Nov-03-2013, 08:19
You guys that are having these stutters, you might also have a look at this thread:
http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6768

I can attest that limiting my fps has greatly improved this for me.

Tettric
Nov-03-2013, 08:52
30-40 is my min. I can try to make a recording later, but basically what I mean is I'll have an FPS of: [70, 70, 71, 71, 70, 72, 78, 70, ...]

When the FPS jumps to 78 and back to 70 I get micro stutters. When I lock my FPS to never exceed 30, things seem a little sluggish, but I dont get stutters.

I could probably lock the FPS at 60 if I turned shadows off, but shadows are pretty :P

The trouble when different people say they get 'micro-stutters' is it's hard to tell if it's the jittery problem I see when FPS jumps around, or if it's the stutter you get when a new plane spawns or a plane formation comes within LOD range. Anyhow, FPS jump is one of them.

I think I get what you're saying, and I'm fairly sure I have experienced it too.
Your FPS is at, lets say 60 FPS but something happens in game to reduce it to, say 58 and at this point it de-synchronizes with your monitor so although your Graphics card is outputting 58FPS you monitor is missing a great deal of the output frames and making the game seem jittery.
Is this what you mean?
If it is, as someone already said, Nvidia's adaptive Vsync is very useful and helps a great deal there are also some tools out on the internet that are supposed to lock framerates at whatever you want (I don't have any experience with them myself) you may want to take a look at those.

dburne
Nov-03-2013, 09:14
If it is, as someone already said, Nvidia's adaptive Vsync is very useful and helps a great deal there are also some tools out on the internet that are supposed to lock framerates at whatever you want (I don't have any experience with them myself) you may want to take a look at those.

The ability to lock framerates has been built into the Nvidia graphics drivers for a while.
Now I use a custom profile that I created using Nvidia Inspector, and I can turn the fps limiter on and set the fps I want it locked at ( not to go higher than).
I have not used the regular Nvidia Console in quite a while as I prefer to use Inspector, so I do not know if one can access this feature from the console now or not. You can also use MSI Afterburner, or EVGA Precision X ( for Nvidia cards). I believe these two, just change it for you in the Nvidia graphics drivers as well. I know FRAPS can display the framerate, not sure if it has the ability to lock framerates?

Faustnik
Nov-03-2013, 22:08
What drivers are you using, 331.65 has been working great for me, also do the dx and netframework fix, and clear you cache in the documents folder:salute:

Falco,

Thank you for asking!

I have cleared cache, used 331.65.

I might try deleting Clod completly and restart.

Conf is good to keep. What else is good to keep?

Thanks again for the help. :)

Falco
Nov-04-2013, 02:12
Here's some of my settings if it helps