PDA

View Full Version : Love 4.0 and flock of gulls and some momentary freezing

Fritz X
Oct-22-2013, 06:08
High praise for 4.0. Love the gun packs for the Blenheims.

I have noticed the German bomber formations behave peculiarly now. They act like a flock of seagulls. They do not maintain formation. They are constantly moving up and down and are dipping their wings. Best imitation of gulls I've seen by the Luftwaffe. Though, when hit by fighters, they scatter like chickens. Was ist los?

Some momentary freezes, which I have never had before. Not frequent. Not fatal to the play.

All my best.

Screamadelica
Oct-22-2013, 06:18
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIpfWORQWhU

9./JG52 Jamz Dackel
Oct-22-2013, 09:10
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIpfWORQWhU

Gota love the oldies

1lokos
Oct-22-2013, 10:09
I have noticed the German bomber formations behave peculiarly now. They act like a flock of seagulls. They do not maintain formation. They are constantly moving up and down and are dipping their wings. Best imitation of gulls I've seen by the Luftwaffe. Though, when hit by fighters, they scatter like chickens. Was ist los?

I notice this too, in QM Bomber Intercept - London.

Sokol1

1lokos
Oct-22-2013, 13:13
Did some test.

If I replace He.111 in same QM by Do-17 they dont show this "flock of seagulls" :D behavior.

Editing the mission, lowering to all the "Basic Flight" and "Advanced Flight" sliders for each aircraft seems reduce this in He.111...

I like when they "scatter like chickens" under attack, is similar what BoB pilots describe in books.:thumbsup:

A curiosity whit this mission (Bomber Intercept - London), every time that I jump the parachute fail to open.

Sokol1

bolox
Oct-22-2013, 14:48
This appears to be a result of the changes made to elevator response in TF4.0- and the changes made to the 'default' (rookie-ace) skill levels- they have had the basic flying and advanced flying skill sliders increased. The behaviour was present to a degree in earlier versions of CoD if the bombers had a high enough pilot flying skill levels

One of the effects of increasing these skill levels is that bombers will attempt to weave/climb/dive a little within formation when threatened by enemy AC. With the change in elevator response some planes don't handle this quite as well as others, hence appear to bob around more.

There's alot to (re)look at with skill levels, and it is making me think all the qmb missions will need redoing as a result of this (sort of been something that I always thought needing doing from initial CoD release) - custom skill levels I find to be generally better. Need to do quite a lot of tests to see what needs changing here.

CoD has always been a finicky beast with regard to changes in missions due to fm changes in patches (both TF and 1C)- I've often had to completely rewrite SP missions as the timings of intercepts change etc etc etc... hence why I rewrote Spitfire on my tail campaign for 3.01

Fritz X
Oct-23-2013, 04:59
1lokos Is right. The primary offender seems to be the He 111. The Ju 88 and Do17Z have not done this "gull" bit. Yes, the flock of chickens is suitable, but I don't think two thuggish Blen IVFs ought to cause a Staffel's morale to break! I do like the compliment from the enemy. Causing so much fear is better than testosterone supplements.

My Heinkels started doing this in one QM when we were not in contact with the British. I was hovering above them in a 110 looking down wondering what on earth the Kampfgeschwader had to drink the night before. Seriously, at first I thought they were lost, and were trying desperately to locate their position. They had flown down to about 1000 meters.