PDA

View Full Version : FPS hit when rounds impact

ATAG_NakedSquirrel
Oct-22-2013, 17:54
I and a couple of people on TS have noticed FPS hits when rounds impact planes. I'm not sure if this has something to do with zooming in or with the impact effect textures.

Is anyone else getting this problem or has resolved this by changing settings?

Mattias
Oct-22-2013, 18:53
I and a couple of people on TS have noticed FPS hits when rounds impact planes. I'm not sure if this has something to do with zooming in or with the impact effect textures.

Is anyone else getting this problem or has resolved this by changing settings?

:salute:

I have not noticed this myself -does it happen both online and offline?

requiem
Oct-22-2013, 21:00
Squirrel and I both noticed this today in MP when we went after a large bomber formation. These freezes occur if I attack bombers in SP as well. The length of the freeze is anything from around 0.5s to 2 or 3 seconds. The freezes also occur if I use the zoom feature (without shooting) sometimes, but I'm not sure if its on my end as I haven't had a chance to test different settings yet.

Dutch
Oct-22-2013, 22:05
I have a similar random freeze offline in all quick missions, but not related to gunfire or zooming in. Usually the same amount of time into each mission too, but this has been there since before v3.00 as far as I can recall. Then it disappears again. It used to produce crashfiles, but now no longer does.

I did notice that there seem to be more visual effects when my ammo strikes another aircraft (looks brilliant :D ), but I don't experience any stutters or freezes, whether online or off. I always zoom into the gunsight too. My system isn't hot poop, and all settings are 'high'.

Is there anything common to your two systems? Gfx cards, drivers, in-game video settings etc?

Kling
Oct-22-2013, 23:33
Can this have to do with a hit sound having to be loaded?? I havent had this myself but others get stutter when there is radio chatter as well... Can this be the reason for missed out hit sounds??

ATAG_NakedSquirrel
Oct-23-2013, 00:11

I have not noticed this myself -does it happen both online and offline?

Yes it does.

I'll play around more and see if I can easily replicate it.

Mattias
Oct-23-2013, 05:56
Yes it does.

I'll play around more and see if I can easily replicate it.

Thank you -that rules out bad ping and/or problems in the netcode :thumbsup:

One more question for you: If you make a recording of the situation where hits causes stutters and watch the track -do you still get stutters?
(reason for asking; is there a problem with the SFX, the stutter will appear in the track as well. If not the problem lays elsewhere)

9./JG52 Ziegler
Oct-23-2013, 08:21
I have a similar random freeze offline in all quick missions, but not related to gunfire or zooming in. Usually the same amount of time into each mission too, but this has been there since before v3.00 as far as I can recall. Then it disappears again. It used to produce crashfiles, but now no longer does.

I did notice that there seem to be more visual effects when my ammo strikes another aircraft (looks brilliant :D ), but I don't experience any stutters or freezes, whether online or off. I always zoom into the gunsight too. My system isn't hot poop, and all settings are 'high'.

Is there anything common to your two systems? Gfx cards, drivers, in-game video settings etc?

I do also and it's like clockwork on SP quick missions. Just one and usually right around 5 minutes in or so for about 1 second. On line I've not had the problem except for the odd stu, stu,......stutter. Nothing to with this patch as it's always been there.

Also just thought I'd mention that on an E3b flying from CaliasMarck yesterday on ATAG, the zoom feature would cycle and not stop at full zoom? In other words, if you held the button it would zoom in then snap back out and rezoom etc... It was only in this airplane that this occured?

Mysticpuma
Oct-23-2013, 09:45
Just out of curiosity, do you have Sweet Fx and/or the windows update listed in the FAQ installed? Finally have you ran the .net fix and also the directx fix. Just asking?

Cheers, MP

9./JG52 Ziegler
Oct-23-2013, 10:00
I don't have SWFX or the infamous update, but I haven't run the .net or directX in a while so I'll give that a go.

requiem
Oct-25-2013, 10:29
Just thought I would post a little update on this as I did a couple of tests. I performed the .net and Direct X fixes, tried running with Xfire on and off, and turned off radio sounds but the freezes still occurred for me. I was testing with the mission where you intercept Heinkels over the Channel in a Hurricane (by default). After those tests I started the task manager and ran the mission again, and I noticed that there were definite CPU usage spikes whenever I had the bigger stutters.

It was hard to tell exactly what was causing the freezes though because they would happen even if I wasn't shooting. Generally speaking though, it felt like sometimes freezes would occur when I was within a certain distance of the aircraft I was targeting (LOD transition?), but they also happened further out so that might have been due to other aircraft entering this range, but I'm not sure.

Hope that helps somehow.

My PC is i7-920 @ 3.6Ghz, 6gb RAM, and 2 Radeon 5850 in X-fire.