PDA

View Full Version : RAF fighter wheel brakes? Realistic or bugged?

MadTommy
Oct-23-2013, 07:26
This is a question i've wanted to ask for some time.

In the Spits & Hurries, IRL, do they have left & right wheel breaks? I tried assigning them as AXIS on my 2 pedals toe breaks.. and i had no breaks working in game.

I resorted to using one pedal toe break to the AXIS for 'breaks'.. i.e for both wheels.

Is this a bug, how it is in reality or something in between?

If it is not right can it be addressed by the wonderful TF sometime in the future. :D

MadTommy
Oct-23-2013, 08:03
The other area I forgot to mention was axis range does not seem to work i.e they seem to be on or off. Bug? Or my heavy feet?

Gromit
Oct-23-2013, 09:50
Early UK fighter aircraft did not use differential brakes, in fact the brake lever is the bicycle brake handle looking affair on the spade, it activates both brakes at once, If I recall correctly the Typhoon was the first UK fighter with a split braking system!

to stop tipping on your nose cadence brake, in other words tap the brakes quickly and repeatedly like a manual anti lock system!

1lokos
Oct-23-2013, 10:24
This is a question i've wanted to ask for some time.

In the Spits & Hurries, IRL, do they have left & right wheel breaks?

Of course they have, pressing the brake lever in control column and moving the rudder bar left or right, is the called "differential" braking.

What they dont have is "toe brakes. The real Spitfire, Hurricane, Blenheim... Fiat BR.20, Fiat G.50, il-2 Sturmovik, LaGG-3, YaK-1... (many British and Russian post war jets) DON'T - I say DON'T :D use "toe brakes". Never!

The game is realistic - is just mater of read history. :)

BTW - How you "cheater" the game and brake with toes:

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6508&p=69032&viewfull=1#post69032

Early UK fighter aircraft did not use differential brakes, in fact the brake lever is the bicycle brake handle looking affair on the spade, it activates both brakes at once, If I recall correctly the Typhoon was the first UK fighter with a split braking system!

Gromit,

No, if by "early fighter" you mean 1938/9 Spit or Hurri, they use differential brakes.

The differential (2) valve attached (3) to rudder bar Spit I plans, (1) is the finger operated lever:

http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/3227/spitdrw011.jpg

The "British system" allow a (RL) pilot injured on legs landing and use brakes. :thumbsup:

Sokol1

MadTommy
Oct-23-2013, 11:15
Ok thanks lads. Somewhat contradictory.. :D

One part not answered... does the axis command for wheel breaks work like an axis.. i.e can you apply 20% breaking by pushing the pedal 20%? Or is it full on or full off. It seems to me to be full on or off.

Yes i have got used to tapping the breaks as suggested.. but damn its sensitive!

1lokos
Oct-23-2013, 11:54
In German planes that use hydraulic system, brakes work proportionally: 0, 5, 12, 30, 70.. 100%. (Alias, you see this info in HUD).

In British, that use compressed air system, they are 0 or 100%*, so "type" on brake lever. :thumbsup:

And how you know if are braking only one wheel? Looking at this instrument:

http://i44.tinypic.com/jr4soh.jpg

*A2A Spitfire for FSX model this system as proportional. Someone who has already flown in real Spitfire could confirm... :)

In some of others dozen "Spitfire don't have toe brakes???" topic here are a video of real Hurricane that show pilot "typing" on brake lever.

Yes i have got used to tapping the breaks as suggested.. but damn its sensitive!

If want you can "cheater" the game adding "ABS" :D to British brakes, using a joystick software or keymapper (JoyTokey...) map a button
to send paused "B's", so you can "hold the brake lever" that plane don't flip over.

Sokol1

RAF74_Buzzsaw
Oct-23-2013, 12:32
Salute

We will be changing the British aircraft brakes to proportional on an axis in TF 4.01.

1lokos
Oct-23-2013, 13:12
Salute

We will be changing the British aircraft brakes to proportional on an axis in TF 4.01.

Man, in the Spit spade that I am done, I was in doubt inf install a button or potentiometer on brake lever...
Although more laborious for some reason I opted for the potentiometer. :ilike:

It is possible add a "tssssssssssst" sound? :)

Sokol1

MadTommy
Oct-23-2013, 15:05
Thanks Sokol1 great info. It's much appreciated. Learning this stuff is why I enjoy flight sims.
I did use the search function to find this topic... I obviously don't do it right!

I won't go the joy2key route... I'll just keep the maintenance crew busy with fitting new props :)
Thanks

1lokos
Oct-24-2013, 21:39
Curiously, some British pilots are used to "toe brakes" before pilot Spit/Hurri.

"The brakes in the Spit are typical of most current British fighter aircraft (the American made
Tomahawk being an exception) and consist of a laterally-moving lever at the top of the control
handle. The brakes in the Spit are engaged when the lever just behind the control column spade
grip is pulled to starboard and disengaged when released and is at the port position. When the
lever is pulled to its extreme starboard position engaging a small clip at the bottom of the
control handle will lock the brakes for parking. To engage either of the individual wheel brakes
for tight turning on the ground, the rudder pedal is first depressed in the direction of the
desired turn and then the aforesaid brake lever is pulled towards the starboard until the brake
engages. For those of you who have previously only flown aircraft like the Harvard which has
individual toe brakes, it will require some practice until you get the knack of operating the
Spit’s brakes properly. We strongly suggest that you do your brake practice in an area on the
field where there is adequate room for mistakes and where there are no objects or other aircraft
nearby with which you are likely to collide and prang the kite."

"After alighting, DO NOT apply the brakes until the tail is firmly on the ground. Apply the brakes
gently and sparingly with the control column spade grip held fully back until the aeroplane has
slowed. Be ever vigilant against a tip up. In the event that the tail begins to rise, release the
brakes immediately. A short blast of the airscrew with control column spade grip fully back will
lower the tail in most circumstances."

From A2A SpitII manual.

This is a "game" manual, but thinking... make sense planes with a "ON/OFF" brakes?
Even carts brakes (http://www.mullerslanefarm.com/wagonbrake.jpg) may be progressively applied. :)

Sokol1

9./JG52 Jamz Dackel
Oct-25-2013, 06:15
Thanks Sokol1 great info. It's much appreciated. Learning this stuff is why I enjoy flight sims.
I did use the search function to find this topic... I obviously don't do it right!

I won't go the joy2key route... I'll just keep the maintenance crew busy with fitting new props :)
Thanks

Tommy, Unless your in a hurry to stop I found just letting her roll to a stop is best suited and makes you feel better as your not eaten worms by nose diving..

The spit slows down pretty rapid once you've touched down even without the tail wheel planted

Gromit
Oct-26-2013, 12:30
Of course they have, pressing the brake lever in control column and moving the rudder bar left or right, is the called "differential" braking.

What they dont have is "toe brakes. The real Spitfire, Hurricane, Blenheim... Fiat BR.20, Fiat G.50, il-2 Sturmovik, LaGG-3, YaK-1... (many British and Russian post war jets) DON'T - I say DON'T :D use "toe brakes". Never!

The game is realistic - is just mater of read history. :)

BTW - How you "cheater" the game and brake with toes:

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6508&p=69032&viewfull=1#post69032

Gromit,

No, if by "early fighter" you mean 1938/9 Spit or Hurri, they use differential brakes.

The differential (2) valve attached (3) to rudder bar Spit I plans, (1) is the finger operated lever:

http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/3227/spitdrw011.jpg

The "British system" allow a (RL) pilot injured on legs landing and use brakes. :thumbsup:

Sokol1

Well you learn something every day!
That's news to me, thanks for the correction!:salute: