PDA

View Full Version : Ground targets calling for help

Roblex
Oct-27-2013, 09:28
I was wondering if there was a way via scripts to get ground targets to let someone know they are under attack?

We have a few maps now where the objectives are scattered all over the map and it is not practical for the defenders to patrol them all effectively. What this means is that a JU88 can go to Lewes or Tunbridge Wells and take their time bombing them knowing that there is almost no chance of any fighters interfering. Similarly a Blenheim can attack Estree knowing they only have to deal with the flak as few 109 pilots will patrol there 'just in case someone bombs it in the next hour'. Surely if an airfield or factory or convoy was being attacked then they would call someone? Is there a way using scripts for those targets to at least call out that they see enemy aircraft? Bomber gunners call out sightings so why not ships or airfields; perhaps there is a way to put a bomber at a target and redirect the gunners message to the radio channel? If that was possible then I suppose we could have it for our own AI bombers but I suppose that would need someone in TF to change the code.

While we are discussing the lack of info regarding attacking bombers, is it possible to get more useful info out of Ground Control or the radar? How is it that a JU88s or Blenheim can penetrate far inland at low level without anyone knowing what they are and how high they are flying? All we get is a vague message about an enemy somewhere in a grid reference and it get buried amongst all the other messages regarding solo fighters ambling around and nobody takes any notice. Yes, I know some messages do give altitude but there still seems to be plenty of cases where the altitude and aircraft type would be very obvious but is not being reported. Perhaps a 'plot board' showing the last three or four plots of any bombers linked by a line and showing altitude and maybe even a projection to show estimated current position is possible for someone with good scripting skills? I suppose Salmos radar plots that gave intercepts must have been doing something similar but as nobody else is adopting the script I have to assume it has problems or maybe cannot handle too many players? OTOH it can't be too many players as we are only talking about bombers and not very many people fly bombers :D Perhaps Salmos script (apologies if he was actually using someone elses script) was bogged down by trying to calculate too many individual intercept vectors in which case the 'plotting table' idea would be less stressful for the script but has the drawback of needed a diagram added similar to the current in-flight map.

Sorry, once I start typing I get carried away. I really should try writing a novel someday :D

As always I will add the disclaimer that all the above verbal diarrhea is not a *demand* for other people to waste their free time writing things for me, I am just putting out some ideas for those people that enjoy doing this stuff anyway and might need some 'seeds' to help decide what to work on next ;D

PFT_Endy
Oct-27-2013, 11:33
I was wondering if there was a way via scripts to get ground targets to let someone know they are under attack?

There are scripts like that used during the missions on SOW. There was always a big screen message saying for example that an axis panzer division is under attack, so it's deifinately possible to do.