PDA

View Full Version : Game freezes in aircraft selection screen (patch 4.0)

JG4_Sputnik
Oct-27-2013, 16:15
Hi there,

the game did run fine up to now, but now every time I go to the aircraft selection screen the game freezes and needs to be closed with task manager.
I have no idea why, I did a reinstall the game but no luck whatsoever.

I run it on windows 8 (with the fixed win8 exe) and I had no problems so far.

Please can anyone help me?

Regards
Sputink

ATAG_Lewis
Oct-27-2013, 20:13
There is these threads to look at....

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4123

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1806

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6431

Although it sounds like it could be this windows update which sneaks onto my system and crashes CLOD....Uninstall this Windows Update...: (KB2670838)

rampa
Oct-27-2013, 20:26
I have the same problem and I solved using the FMB and the user.ini to change the parameters and modify my missions (but can't change the campaign, I think). Also the screen's option doesn't change the loadout and the skin's wearing, it seem's to me that you can change just the convergence (if not crash happens). So in my case the plane options screen is totally porked.

JG4_Sputnik
Oct-28-2013, 14:23
Thanks for the help.

I found a solution:

It seems that something is wrong with the .ini file where the game draws the skin information from.
So I deleted conf.ini confs.ini confUser.ini from steamapps/common/cliffs and since then it works again.
Strange.

Thanks and cheers,
Sputnik

JG4_Sputnik
Oct-28-2013, 15:34
Actualy its back again :grrr:
Sometimes it works sometimes it dont.
what the actual f***

It is really only then when the skin gets laoded in the aircraft viewer, no matter what plane. After 2-3 secs the game freezes an I have to ctrl alt delete it.
Any suggestions?

ATAG_Colander
Oct-28-2013, 15:37
Sputnik,

The plane selection screen takes longer to load now. In my case about 10 seconds.
Could this be the case?

Birdy
Oct-29-2013, 07:32
Same issue for me.
Plane selection screen works for one or two options then freezes.
Reboot helps but seems to do it alot now.
Love the Mod, thank you!

ATAG_Colander
Oct-29-2013, 10:31
Same issue for me.
Plane selection screen works for one or two options then freezes.
Reboot helps but seems to do it alot now.
Love the Mod, thank you!

Windows 8 too?

RedSpar
Oct-29-2013, 17:17
I have this same issue as well...

If I take too long to select a plane or loadout the game completely locks up/freezes and I have to close the game with task manager.
About 1 in 5 tries I will actually make it out of the selection screen and am able to fly. Once I am actually in game proper I have no issues whatsoever. It only happens in the game menus for aircraft and only happens when I am on a online server.
I have tried all the standard fixes suggested to no avail including completely uninstalling the game and mod and reinstalling from scratch.

Big note: I have Windows 8.1
My guess it has something to do with the issue.

My system:

i7 2600K
16GB ram
128 mb SSD
Nvidia 680GTX 4GB

Nvidia just released new video drivers. Gunna try those out and report back.

JG4_Sputnik
Oct-30-2013, 05:57
I have this same issue as well...

If I take too long to select a plane or loadout the game completely locks up/freezes and I have to close the game with task manager.
About 1 in 5 tries I will actually make it out of the selection screen and am able to fly. Once I am actually in game proper I have no issues whatsoever. It only happens in the game menus for aircraft and only happens when I am on a online server.
I have tried all the standard fixes suggested to no avail including completely uninstalling the game and mod and reinstalling from scratch.

Big note: I have Windows 8.1
My guess it has something to do with the issue.

My system:

i7 2600K
16GB ram
128 mb SSD
Nvidia 680GTX 4GB

Nvidia just released new video drivers. Gunna try those out and report back.

Exact the same thing here. My system is identical (except of the i7).
I experience the issue also in single player.

RedSpar please report after the driver installation since I dont have the time at the moment.
"good" to hear though that Im not the only one with this issue...

vranac
Oct-30-2013, 07:27
Maybe a long shot here but can you guys open launcher.exe properties and look at the Compatibility tab.
Is "Disable desktop composition" and "Run as admin" checked?
I don't know about Win 8 but it should be similar.

Flyby
Oct-30-2013, 09:03
Same problem here. (Win8) It's very frustrating,especially online. When I try to select a plane in MP, everything just locks up. Oh, I can move the mouse to different buttons, but none of them are clickable, so I have to "ctl-alt-del" then use Task Manager to end the process (IL2-Clod). It seems to happen in single-player too, except sometimes I can get further into whatever I'm doing, like changing the ammo load-out, then suddenly, a lock-up, and no buttons work. I have to end the process again. I take no comfort in that it's not only me having this problem.
Flyby out
PS latest Nvidia driver in use (I rolled back to see if that was the issue; it is not, so back to current/latest.) Asus GTX 770, 16 gb ram, i5-3570k

Flyby
Oct-30-2013, 09:32
vranac, I tried your suggestion, and ran the compatibility trouble-shooter,letting Win8 try different configurations, and testing each. Only limited success. By that I mean sometimes i could select a plane in multiplayer, and make changes to the plane, and even the load out of the guns (Spitfire), then exit, select another base, and select another plane. Then at some point I'd get another lockup and back to ctl-alt-del, and try again. Each time, success or failure, Win8 is reporting an incompatible program but I can find no additional info. Overall I really like Win8. It's much better than WinME ever way. I went fro, XP to Win8 with no major issues and no issues in other flight sims.
Flyby out

Flyby
Oct-30-2013, 10:16
btw, the lock-up only occurs if I try to make a change to the plane of a particular base. If I go with whatever plane is shown at that base I have no problem at all. Trying to make a change from any default plane selection (including load-outs if you get that far) is where the problem is for me. I just got back from flying online to check this out, and it seems to be true. Anyone else found this to be true for them?
Flyby out

vranac
Oct-30-2013, 11:07
I just thought that Aero may be the problem because it's known bug that when you try to save a track recording game freezes.
When you are changing the plane at a base you're also opening a new window ( at least I think so).

You can try to disable Aero service in your OS, maybe that will help.

Flyby
Oct-30-2013, 12:48
I don't have Aero in Win 8. I've read it was not included in this OS (substituted by the Win 8 Metro theme). This freeze sure is one bad mutha-fu, err.. terrible bug.
Flyby out

Flyby
Oct-30-2013, 15:58
OK, I just ran into this when I tried to change planes in an offline quick mission. The menu locked up and I had to do the keyboard dance again (ctl-alt-del). Out of idle curiosity I deleted my desktop shortcut, then went into the game folder and created a new launcher shortcut. When I tried this one things seemed to work ok off line again. So I tried it online, and that seemed to work. I tried it twice, and it worked twice. With my luck it may fail again, but it's working now. No freezing up when I try to change planes or load-outs or go back or hit OK or anything. Fingers crossed.
Flyby out

ATAG_Colander
Oct-30-2013, 16:05
OK, I just ran into this when I tried to change planes in an offline quick mission. The menu locked up and I had to do the keyboard dance again (ctl-alt-del). Out of idle curiosity I deleted my desktop shortcut, then went into the game folder and created a new launcher shortcut. When I tried this one things seemed to work ok off line again. So I tried it online, and that seemed to work. I tried it twice, and it worked twice. With my luck it may fail again, but it's working now. No freezing up when I try to change planes or load-outs or go back or hit OK or anything. Fingers crossed.
Flyby out

Uhm.....
The default shortcut starts the game via steam. You replaced it with a direct exe shortcut.
If this really works, I wonder what steam does differently when starting the game through it.

Flyby
Oct-30-2013, 18:49
ATAG_Colander, don't bother to test it. it failed just moments ago in single player.
Flyby out

ATAG_Colander
Oct-30-2013, 18:55
ATAG_Colander, don't bother to test it. it failed just moments ago in single player.
Flyby out

I can't test it. I have W7 :D

RedSpar
Oct-30-2013, 19:33
OK, just upgraded to Nvidia WHQL 331.65 drivers for Windows 8.1...

I haven't had any lock ups (yet) in the menu after a few hrs of gameplay, but the menu and loadout selection screens are _very_ slow and sometimes you have to click the buttons multiple times for them to register.
I suspect I will have a lock up again. (gut feeling)

Once flying the game has no issues whatsoever.

8.1 users try 331.65 and let me know how you do.

DUI
Oct-30-2013, 20:27
btw, the lock-up only occurs if I try to make a change to the plane of a particular base. If I go with whatever plane is shown at that base I have no problem at all. Trying to make a change from any default plane selection (including load-outs if you get that far) is where the problem is for me. I just got back from flying online to check this out, and it seems to be true. Anyone else found this to be true for them?
Flyby out

Hi Flyby,

I am quite sure that I have a solution for your specific problem as I am experiencing the same one every now and then since the start of Cliffs on my Windows Vista system:

After the plane selection window is opened and the game does not react to your mouse clicks anymore, you just have to "tab-out" (hit the tab or alt+tab button) to see the task bar of Windows.
You then should see two open windows. One for the the basic game called "IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover" and one for the plane selection (in German: "Flugzeugwahl"):

Now just make a right-click on the plane selection window and choose for the option "Maximise":

The plane selection should react to your commands now and you should be able to select your preferred plane. :goodluck:

Flyby
Oct-31-2013, 08:01
S~ DUI,
Thank you for that work-around. I'll give it a try and see what happens (and report back here, of course). I have no doubt I'll have to try it at any rate.

RedSpar, I had installed the .65 driver, and at first I suspected it might be the cause of the freeze, and so i rolled back to .58. No difference, so I reinstalled .65. Win8 here
Flyby out.

Flyby
Oct-31-2013, 08:31
I tried DUI's suggestion, and used alt-Tab which brought up the two windows as he explained (right-click on the IL2 icon in the task bar to bring up the two windows) . But after doing that, KI still could not make a plane selection. I went to the Task Manager and saw the notation that IL2 was not responding. So I closed it out, and tried again. Same thing. IL2 not responding. Until a fix comes in or I just get lucky, I have to accept the plane shown me (in multiplayer or single player). I have faith that TF is working on it.
Flyby out
PS thank you again DUI for your suggestion. Much appreciated. Did your method work as a result of the selection page freezing your game?

DUI
Nov-01-2013, 05:42
(right-click on the IL2 icon in the task bar to bring up the two windows)

Did you really right-click on the plane selection window and select the "maximise" option in the appearing context menu (as in the second image)? As a result the plane selection windows should be displayed in full screen and be active/clickable again.

Flyby
Nov-01-2013, 07:25
I double-checked what I did, and it seems I did not right-click. (?) Anyway, when I tabbed out, I got the full screen for plane selection (tried it again this morning), and the page is still locked up. My mouse cannot activate any selection button on the page.
Flyby ut

vranac
Nov-01-2013, 08:29
I still think the problem is there because you can't disable DWM ( Desktop window manager). It seems to be very difficult to do in Win 8.

Try this:

http://superuser.com/questions/581673/disable-desktop-composition-in-windows-8-force-it

Microsoft says that DWM is always on in Windows 8 but that's not true. WinPE4 (tiny Windows 8) has no DWM. Actually, DWM is on because of Metro so if you disable DWM the Start Screen will turn black and you can't see anything. Winlogon.exe spawns a new DWM.exe process so if you kill DWM.exe it restarts.

Solution?
Use PSSuspend.exe or Process Explorer from sysinterals.com
Follow the command line instructions for PSSuspend
If you're using GUI Process Explorer than right click on the winlogon.exe process and click Suspend. Then, kill DWM.exe.

I never used PSSuspend.exe but I'm using Process Explorer, it's very useful and powerful tool. You can look at it as more powerful Task manager.

Good luck!

JG4_Sputnik
Nov-01-2013, 18:22
DUI your workaround doesnt work for me neither :(
It seems that we have to live with the bug as long as we got version 4.0 which isnt pretty.
Now I cant fly SoW missions anymore.
Any chances of a quick fix?

Birdy
Nov-02-2013, 05:18
Windows 8 here same issue.
Only locks up when selecting optional planes for airfield

Birdy
Nov-02-2013, 05:46
In fact this issue has now made the game almost unplayable, what a shame!

Flyby
Nov-02-2013, 08:44
this freeze seems to be intermittent because every once in a while I can select planes at a base (online). It happened last night where I wanted to fly a fighter from a base that had fighters and bombers. I thought I'd give it a try before changing bases. I guess I got lucky because I was able to change planes. I didn't press my luck by looking into the load-out. Rather be lucky than good!
Flyby out

doxey
Nov-15-2013, 16:22
Also here the same issue: plane selection screen freezes.
OS Win8.1

Birdy
Nov-18-2013, 05:26
If you select the first plane option without changing the loadout selection, then esc select field again and then select new plane it works, but a roundabout process.

Birdy
Nov-18-2013, 05:27
You have to go into the game first with default option, then escape to load new selection.

Flyby
Nov-18-2013, 13:02
You have to go into the game first with default option, then escape to load new selection.

Now that's what I call a successful work-around. I tried it four times in a row and it worked each time. Then I closed the game out, restarted it, and repeated the process (just to be sure) and it really works!
a big THANK YOU!!!! to Birdy. But tell me, how did you come across this technique?
Flyby out

Bolt
Nov-18-2013, 15:29
Alright gents , when TF 4.0 came out , I downloaded it and game fired right up , I had played on the server plenty , but last week I clicked on the game and a launcher not working issue came up , that's the first time it has ever done that . I tried several times to get in , same deal ..screen loadup comes and just before it loads , the launcher stopped working msg appears ..so I go back into Steam to verify cache ( I know this will revert game back to stock ) and run the stock game with no problem . run TF 3.0 with no issue , run TF 3.1 with no issues , reinstall TF 4.0 and game crashes again with the launcher stopped working msg . What is going on with this ? now I do have Windows update set to auto , is there a chance than update came out last week that causes this error ? I have gone thru the redist folder sequences with DX , Dot Net and the VR repair , nothing same thing , this is too weird , I have changed the game to run as admin. but that didn't help either , something has changed that is causing this , I have not downloaded anything but an Nvidia driver 331.65 for my 660 ti but that's it . Now I know where the DMP files are , but I don't have a program to open it ( I have W7 ) and put up here to show the files . if you need that , I'll need a tutorial on how to open it and sent it here .

Thanks ,

Bolt

Flyby
Nov-18-2013, 18:40
No PC expert here, but when things suddenly go screwy (even from an update), I run a registry scanner to look for errors like random bits left over from some program change (ghosts in the machine). Recently my joystick settings went screwy for no apparent reason. Found 14 errors, and presto! This probably won't help you, but it won't hurt.
I'm running Win8 and am not having a problem with the 331.65 driver, so I'm guessing that's not it. Did you use the Windows program trouble-shooter when you saw the msg? What OS are you using,btw?

Bolt
Nov-19-2013, 19:23
Actually the fix that worked for me was to remove the game and all its contents from my pc . I updated my Windows and Graphics card updates . then I reinstalled CoD , played the stock , installed 3.0 then 3.1 played both , then installed 4.0 .....game fired right up no problem and so far no issues . too weird

Bolt

Flyby
Nov-20-2013, 06:43
good man! nice work.
Flyby out

doxey
Nov-20-2013, 19:02

ok. workaround worked for me. Thxs.

ATAG_Lewis
Dec-13-2013, 07:05
My buddy has the same problem with windows Vista...:(...His only solution is to run with the default aircraft

Flyby
Dec-14-2013, 08:26
My buddy has the same problem with windows Vista...:(...His only solution is to run with the default aircraft
Lewis have your friend try the work-around. It works 100% of the time. It's an extra step, but it takes only a few seconds to spawn in the default plane, esc. out then re-enter, and click on the default plane to make a different selection. He could then alter the loadouts too. It's quickly over with and forgotten once hes flying the plane he wanted to select and fly. No more misery and I'm sure TF will find a solution to this one day.
Flyby out

ATAG_Snapper
Dec-14-2013, 09:44
Lewis have your friend try the work-around. It works 100% of the time. It's an extra step, but it takes only a few seconds to spawn in the default plane, esc. out then re-enter, and click on the default plane to make a different selection. He could then alter the loadouts too. It's quickly over with and forgotten once hes flying the plane he wanted to select and fly. No more misery and I'm sure TF will find a solution to this one day.
Flyby out

Seems to work for me, Birdy. :thumbsup: (I'm using Win 8.1).

It puts a blemish on your kills/spawn stats, but in Clod there are many other causes that negatively impact that ratio, anyway (bad spawns, getting vulched, plane won't start glitch, etc). A better stat IMHO is kills/death and hopefully we'll get a column for that so we can track our progress vs other players easily.

Thanks for posting your work around. I will incorporate this in my Windows 8/8.1 post(s) for the Beginners Section.

:)

DUI
Dec-14-2013, 18:35
@Lewis: If the "Windows 8 aircraft selection workaround" does not work try this "Vista aircraft selection workaround (http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6647&p=71680&viewfull=1#post71680)". :D

ATAG_Lewis
Dec-15-2013, 11:40
Rgrt..Fellas...I'll let him know...and see if it works...thanks chaps!!

Wolger
Dec-18-2013, 11:27
If you select the first plane option without changing the loadout selection, then esc select field again and then select new plane it works, but a roundabout process.

Now that's what I call a successful work-around. I tried it four times in a row and it worked each time. Then I closed the game out, restarted it, and repeated the process (just to be sure) and it really works!
a big THANK YOU!!!! to Birdy. But tell me, how did you come across this technique?
Flyby out

I'd like to say THANK YOU as this works fine. Need to load the default plane first, escape then only can change plane, weapons preset and loadouts.

ATAG_Lewis
Dec-22-2013, 16:46
Still no joy for my buddy...He has Vista....Here is what he says...:

But after reading it, it's not really the problem I have. For me the game doesn't crash when I'm adjusting things like fuel and ammo or skins. In all actuallity the game doesn't crash at all, I just can't "touch" the windows that pop-up. The problem comes when at a certain base, they have 5 different spitfires. And of course the Spit I shows up first, but I want a Spit IIa. So click the area where the name of the plane is located and the windowpops up showing all the avalible aircraft. BUT, I can't click it. Talk about frustrating.

And the kicker is that sometimes it works and it allows me to click a different plane. I did seem to notice that offline it seems to work all the time. In making a new 109 skin template, it picked a plane and skin about 100 times and it never failed. So maybe it has something to do with the information on that base coming from the server?

Sorry one last thing to add, this problem also happens when I go to exit the game at the end with the "Are you sure you want to exit the game: Yes/No" window. but at least there, the game will recognize "Y" on my keyboard.

DUI
Dec-22-2013, 20:08
For me the game doesn't crash when I'm adjusting things like fuel and ammo or skins. In all actuallity the game doesn't crash at all, I just can't "touch" the windows that pop-up. The problem comes when at a certain base, they have 5 different spitfires. And of course the Spit I shows up first, but I want a Spit IIa. So click the area where the name of the plane is located and the windowpops up showing all the avalible aircraft. BUT, I can't click it. Talk about frustrating.

Lewis, this is exactly the problem that I sometimes have in Vista. The before-mentioned "hotfix" (tabbing-out, maximizing the plane selection screen) does not help?

X-Raptor
Feb-06-2014, 09:04
a little BUMP HERE ...

Hi folks, just a pity this my first post after my presentation in this forum is about in-game problem, but I have to add myself to the list of this problem with "game hang up in aircraft selection" sadly..

I have a fresh install of win 8.1 pro into my new PC (4670k + GTX 770 Card) and I also experience the SAME problem: game stop and have to go to task manager to stop "launcher.exe" that don't respond anymore. This happen every time if I don't go and play with previous selected AC just for one second and esc as suggested above. Yea, it's very annoying and me too hope someone will find the solution:crazyeyes:

Flyby
Feb-07-2014, 09:02
yeah, it's still a bummer to have to do the work-around method, but at least we have the work-around. CLoD is otherwise a joyful way to spend some time. TF has brought it back from the dead. BoS has some large shoes to fill, imo.
Flyby out

ATAG_Snapper
Feb-07-2014, 10:34
I have Win 8.1 and got screen freezes every time I tried to select a different plane from the default plane offered.

Fix: When you first fire up Clod, go to Single Player first, then Quick Mission. Simply select the first Quick Mission offered (Free Flight over the Channel in a Spitfire 1a). The mission/airplane doesn't matter here....just hit Fly and actually fly for about two seconds. Fire the guns -- just because it feels good! :D. Exit out of this mission and Single Player and go to Multiplayer as normal and join the server. You can now choose any aircraft without any freezing at all!

Note: A faster method is to go directly to Multiplayer, join the server, choose your map (LW or RAF), then choose your airfield per normal. Hit CREATE on the default aircraft offered for that airfield to spawn in, then ESC out and now choose your preferred aircraft -- but that affects your number of spawns if you're keeping track of your stats.

Mysticpuma
Feb-07-2014, 10:48
This would be a good solution but flying online I get about 2 minutes flight before the engine seizes. All rads oil/water fully open.....engine goes boom ;(

I think I need to start learning full real CEM ;)

ATAG_Septic
Feb-07-2014, 11:03
This would be a good solution but flying online I get about 2 minutes flight before the engine seizes. All rads oil/water fully open.....engine goes boom ;(

I'd guess you just need to lower the RPM by prop-pitch MP old chap!

Septic.

ATAG_Snapper
Feb-07-2014, 11:04

LOL

I think we're talking about two different things here, MP! :)

Badjohnny10165
Jun-27-2014, 21:52
I have the same problem, Windows 8, I think it must be todo with the reading and writing of the user.ini file (the one in documents). I cant change any loadouts, I am stuck with the standard belts for guns and the two steams of tracer. I hope there is a solution soon. The workaround works and stops the freezes, but I still cant activate the buttons on the loading screens.

Flyby
Jun-28-2014, 11:34
a little BUMP HERE ...

Hi folks, just a pity this my first post after my presentation in this forum is about in-game problem, but I have to add myself to the list of this problem with "game hang up in aircraft selection" sadly..

I have a fresh install of win 8.1 pro into my new PC (4670k + GTX 770 Card) and I also experience the SAME problem: game stop and have to go to task manager to stop "launcher.exe" that don't respond anymore. This happen every time if I don't go and play with previous selected AC just for one second and esc as suggested above. Yea, it's very annoying and me too hope someone will find the solution:crazyeyes:
I can't believe I didn't see these latest replies earlier. The fix for me (not another work-around) was a simple one, and was posted somewhere here on ATAG. I had to right-click the launcher and change the compatibility mode to Win8, which is what I am running. That did the trick, and I haven't had one fail since. Seems the mode was set to Win7 and I was unaware. I hope this works for you too.
Flyby out

Badjohnny10165
Jun-30-2014, 20:10
I can't believe I didn't see these latest replies earlier. The fix for me (not another work-around) was a simple one, and was posted somewhere here on ATAG. I had to right-click the launcher and change the compatibility mode to Win8, which is what I am running. That did the trick, and I haven't had one fail since. Seems the mode was set to Win7 and I was unaware. I hope this works for you too.
Flyby out

I don't see a compatability for windows 8 listed, mine stops at windows 7. If I don't choose a compatability, and run as adiministrator I still get the problem.

Flanker35M
Jul-03-2014, 18:10
S!

I have never experienced this bug and running Windows 8.1 64-bit. What I have done in windows under Performance settings is choosing For best performance, that disables all the fancy stuff like shadows under icons etc. and desktop looks much like Win7. I never need those flashy things, the less the better :) Could help if trying to disabling all the effects and such?

Baffin
Nov-06-2014, 13:33
SINGLE PLAYER mode is even worse...

I wanted to do some comparisons between blue and red airplanes using Quick Missions, but found that only the default version of each plane was available. To select another leads to total screen / computer freeze when the large "Close Window" button at the bottom is clicked. No input is possible and a power off shutdown is the only option. :pcsux:

But...

Vranac's advice (Post # 11) enables me to use the keyboard to get the desired airplane in the window and finally select it. With more practice, I think the mouse will work...

Thanx!