PDA

View Full Version : spitfire better turner than hurricane?

trademe900
Oct-30-2013, 17:03
Hi all,

Love the fm revisions but have a question regarding the hurricane. The hurricane now turns worse than the spitfire, how can this be?

Shouldn't it be the spitfire with the sharp stall when turned hard and the hurricane the forgiving one that can turn very hard?

I am not totally sure but it feels the hurricane now can not turn as hard as spitfire. Also the Spitfire can be turned full hard full elevator and not stall where as the hurricane goes into a spin easily.

Is the hurricane good turn performance being modelled correctly and did reports describe it stalling and spinning like this in comparison to the spitfire?

ATAG_Colander
Oct-30-2013, 17:11
Hi trademe,

I'll let the hurri pilots answer this one.

Mattias
Oct-30-2013, 17:15
Hi trademe,

I'll let the hurri pilots answer this one.

+1 but I must say as a blue pilot I get the impression the Hurri does turn better than the Spit. I also managed to provoke quite a few spits into spins but never a hurri :thumbsup:

trademe900
Oct-30-2013, 17:21
Good to hear.

Maybe the hurricane can turn as well as spit but it's this stall behavior that is leading me to feel it can't. I Don't know. The spit can turn full elevator but hurricane can't

trademe900
Oct-30-2013, 17:25
I am loving the fm changes for example the climb and roll rates and especially now the 109 more realistic gentle stall which I have been waiting for a long time.

Just really didn't expect hurricane to be stalling when turning hard whereas spitfire can go full elevator turn

Catseye
Oct-30-2013, 17:45
I am loving the fm changes for example the climb and roll rates and especially now the 109 more realistic gentle stall which I have been waiting for a long time.

Just really didn't expect hurricane to be stalling when turning hard whereas spitfire can go full elevator turn

Hi Trademe,
The Hurricane was no slouch down low at moderate speed in the turns.
However, it was unforgiving in the stall if you let the speed drop too much. Lots of pilot fatalities in training coming in to slow in the curved approach - very little forgiveness despite how it turned when speed was optimised for it.

Cheers,
Cats . . .

ATAG_JTDawg
Oct-30-2013, 18:00
To me the hurri is must better at turning now . The thing is a shoebox compared to spit . Keeping a turn a 109 won't get you. The hurri requires a light hand when flying it, = it does not like you jerking on the yoke hard. Start your turn , then start pulling harder = less loss of speed , an less prone to the flop over. Which it has always had. = air speed to low . An also remember to use flaps when needed = hurri has adjustable flaps, for lower speeds :thumbsup:

trademe900
Oct-30-2013, 18:01
Ah yes I remember reading about those crashes. Perhaps it did indeed stall harder if pushed in the turn.

I have not yet had chance to follow a spitfire in a turning duel so I do not want to make any definite claims. It just feels to me it can not turn as hard as spit since spit can go full elevator and hard pull on stick

trademe900
Nov-01-2013, 14:10
Does anyone have any reports or writings they could link or paste about hurricane unforgiving stall?

Uwe
Nov-02-2013, 01:19
You keep saying "go full elevator" but I'm not sure that means anything.
If the elevator in the Hurri is more effective than it will require less to do the same thing as another aircraft. All of these planes are different.
Regardless, Ive not yet found anything that can out turn my newly beloved Hurri in game, a Spit and 109 can turn faster, but no where near as tight. Ive had all of the control surfaces of the Hurri at full deflection many a time.

Meaks
Nov-03-2013, 12:39
I would totally agree with Uwe,there is nothing in game now to touch the Hurricane's tight turn,as has been said,the Spit and 109 will carry more speed into the turn but the radius of the turn is much smaller or tighter if you will with the Hurricane,which is historically correct.

Osprey
Nov-03-2013, 13:39
Hurricane pilots never used flaps to turn, not in any account I've ever read. Shouldn't be needed in game either.

palker
Nov-03-2013, 16:05
Spitfire should turn better than Hurricane especially in longer turns due to its better aerodynamics when hurricane loses speed quickly.

Meaks
Nov-04-2013, 04:35
An also remember to use flaps when needed = hurri has adjustable flaps, for lower speeds :thumbsup:

Can't say I agree with you on this one Dawg,if you are in a tight horizontal turn evading an enemy aircraft (the Hurricanes best evasive manoeuvre)the last thing you want is any drag,which you will certainly get if you use any flap.

This is especially true when at low turning speeds,the Hurricane was notorious at stalling when in this state of flight,many a Hurricane pilot lost his life through stalling at low speeds,it has been well documented.

For a fast evasive manoevre,pull the tit and then execute a nice sharp ailleron turn,add in a gentle amount of rudder just to keep the tail from sagging,and this will keep the flight coordinated through it's fast turn,this was and is the Hurricane pilots escape!

Gromit
Nov-04-2013, 05:58
Using flaps on a hurricane will actually increase the turn radius, tested this, the thick wing produces considerable lift unlike some other wings and the flaps are there just to land with, they increase drag meaning the aircraft has to open the turn radius to prevent stalling in a turn!

airspeed of 140mph at 1000ft gave the fastest 360drg turn rate, circa 14 seconds!

trademe900
Nov-04-2013, 16:07
Nice test