PDA

View Full Version : Radar and radio on maps

5./JG27Rudelmann
Oct-02-2011, 04:50
Bliss and Spin,

I need your expert help! Our server doesn't seem to be giving any radar messages (one guy claims to have seen it once, but we've been unable to reproduce it). We've tried with just the plain Channel map (with the stock British radar points) and adding 2-3 radar towers. We've added a couple of Wotan I and II to the German sides, and radio trucks next to them. British radar points have had the Generic Radio Masts added nearby, but no luck so far. We've even gone so far as to add generators next to these, without success. How have you guys set your radar up? Is there a chance I could dissect your ground objects map?

If not, any help at all would be greatly appreciated. We're trying a map using the Le Havre/Isle of Wight area, and with the great amount of water between the two sides, want something to bring a battle area into focus.

ATAG_Bliss
Oct-02-2011, 06:15
Hi Rudelman,

I don't possibly know what could be causing your issue. Ours have always worked and that's without adding any radar, etc., into the mission (other than what's already there). Silly question, but have you tried running it without any scripts to see if it's not just a script that's making it act up?

5./JG27Rudelmann
Oct-02-2011, 10:32
Interesting thought, I'll try it and see.

Thanks for the mission to break down, maybe it will give me a clue somewhere. :)

~S!

5./JG27Rudelmann
Oct-16-2011, 12:11
Heh, I guess I'm rather chatty today...

Just an update, after extensive testing (maps with 0 radar, and maps with 50+radars) I've determined that radar doesn't give the messages at all! The radio calls you get with coordinates are actually calls from your side's aircraft, when they spot an enemy (and I don't believe they actually have to see them, just be within range to spot them) they call out. Radio silence option when creating AI doesn't seem to stop the calls, but IMHO you want the calls anyways to give people direction where to gather for some action. If one side currently has no planes up (say your map has only 1 side attacking with AI bombers) then they get no calls and its difficult to find air targets.

ATAG_Bliss
Oct-16-2011, 15:38
Ah - that makes sense then.

So I wonder if there's an actual trick to get the in-game radars actually working then? Perhaps they are for the non-existent radio commands :happy

5./JG27Rudelmann
Oct-17-2011, 10:42
I'm not sure, I'm messing with putting AI actors in atm, and powering them, but I don't think the little generators are big enough (at least in RL I don't think they would have been). Let you know the results when I figure something out. In the meantime, I'm throwing Recon flights over both sides, try to give people (especially when the server has low pop) some direction. Apparantly 7k is too high to spot bombers at 3k though, lol.

Salmo
Mar-05-2012, 04:29
Ah - that makes sense then.

So I wonder if there's an actual trick to get the in-game radars actually working then? Perhaps they are for the non-existent radio commands :happy

I don't think the radars work by themselves Bliss, but they could be scripted. ie. when enemy aircraft comes within a certain circular or eliptical distance/space from radar unit, you could script a 'saytogroup' command to be sent to all friendly airgroups.