Dutch
Nov-01-2013, 13:52
Here you go chaps;

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=1920293&posted=1#post1920293

Silver_Dragon
Nov-01-2013, 14:04
http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1920277&postcount=1

Hey folks,

Sorry for a lapse in updates. I am almost comically plagued by internet issues on my trip; could make for a nice story all by itself. Almost considered doing a write-up, but perhaps in a couple of days when there’s no trace of bitterness. Catching a plane home tomorrow afternoon, where a nice PC with a nice Ethernet cable awaits. The things we take for granted.

Anyway, while I was incommunicado, the rest of the team has been hard at work.

We’re going to do a combined update on a bunch of fronts.

The 109 cockpit, shown earlier, is virtually completed. It’s scheduled to be done by the end of next week. Here’s a teaser shot.

https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/1384337_660411097314115_315986856_n.jpg

We’ll do a full photoshoot once it’s finished and checked.

The 109 external is not nearly as far along. We actually ran into a bit of delay with it, and we’re working double time to catch up. The 109 is still scheduled to be the first new RRG plane to be completed, in time for the closed alpha.

The first step of making an external model for a DCS plane is to make its engine. Even though it’s not something you really see, this is what’s traditionally done first before the rest of the aircraft is built around it. We had an issue with blueprints and references that had us redo a portion of the model, and the engine is generally extremely detailed and elaborate, so we’re about a week behind schedule. The engine is generally modeled and mapped, so we’re ready to proceed with the rest of the aircraft.

https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/1426731_660410937314131_1845149023_n.jpg

I am walking a very fine line here between keeping the fans and the artists happy. This is something I’m sure most of you did not think of at all, but the 3D artists making these models feel very connected to them and have a sense of personal pride, so asking them to show clearly unfinished models is always met with some resistance. I’m not the kind of boss who says “just shut up and give me the model to screenshot.” So, in this case, just like with the 109 pit, we have a modeler who really hates the idea of showing unfinished, “crappy” (in his words) WIP. He really asked to delay showing the engine until it’s shiny and perfect, so this is our compromise.

Please consider this as a general showcase of our attention to detail.

The flight model and the weapons and all the physics stuff for it has been in the works since July, but it's using the P-51 as a stand-in for now. We're rather far along with our physics model of the Bf.109, but obviously that's not something that can be shown with screenshots. We'll probably do some detailed lengthy videos once the 3D model is put in place, in the run-up to the alpha.

Next, we have the current state of the P-47 cockpit. Again, slightly behind schedule there, but really working hard to catch up. No deadline jeopardized, just a bit of an extra crunch in the middle of the project. We expected to just reuse P-51 gauges for the Jug, but ended up having to redo most from scratch. We currently have the canopy framework, the dashboard, and the gunsight, all done from scratch for our brand new P-47D-30. All await the delivery of the last set of factory blueprints for a final accuracy check.

https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/1395243_660410770647481_1630518402_n.jpg
https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/1382273_660410677314157_371390330_n.jpg
https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/12657_660410553980836_1663048488_n.jpg
https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/923393_660410450647513_615333046_n.jpg

Lastly, here’s where we are with the landscape. Been doing a lot of technical engine-related tasks. Redrew all the roads and crossroads. Redid the canals. Redid the flooded areas once again. Played a whole lot with the trees. Generally the terrain is beginning to look more detailed, but still a long road ahead.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/1393586_660410910647467_485983243_n.jpg
https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/1392069_660411010647457_1690539793_n.jpg
https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/993696_660409830647575_1412767196_n.jpg
https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/1395338_660410003980891_1213488713_n.jpg

Now, the most important thing I’ve realized over the past two months is that if I was my own employee, I should fire myself as a community manager. I barely have any time to do it, and it creates a very poor impression. Now that we’ve finally received our kickstarter funds (by the way, yay) I really need to hire a more professional community manager. I’ll get busy once I’m back home this weekend. Of course, ideally it would be a member of this community. It would most likely be a salaried part-time position, and the qualifications would include a passion for flight sims, understanding of aviation, and good communication skills. I don’t know if it’s realistic to hope for someone who’s fluent in both Russian and English, but English fluency would definitely be a must, while Russian would be a huge plus.

If you think you might be a good fit based on this preliminary announcement, email me at luthier1@gmail.com

With that, I’m off to pack my suitcase. Hope you like the screenshots!

ATAG_JTDawg
Nov-01-2013, 14:32
YEP .An for the last couple weeks . The whiners are out in force as always. been reading the more recent comments on the kick starter page , Take the money an run , comments :grrr: Some of you guys really need to do something but troll. AS LONG AS YOU GET YOUR STUFF BY NEXT YEAR = SHUT UP !!! . You are harshing my mellow, an many others !!!. Be cool
BTW Dutch thanks

Archie
Nov-01-2013, 14:44
Its looking really good to me!

Dutch
Nov-01-2013, 14:59
That P-47 dash really looks as though you could reach out and touch it. Feel all the bumps and ridges and the smoothness of the glass on the dials. Love it. :stunned:

Mattias
Nov-01-2013, 15:10
That P-47 dash really looks as though you could reach out and touch it. Feel all the bumps and ridges and the smoothness of the glass on the dials. Love it. :stunned:

+1 :thumbsup:

Old_Canuck
Nov-01-2013, 16:43
@Jt_Dawg, the closest I got to having negative vibes with Ilya was due to the fact that he did make a promise regarding updates. Never make a promise unless you are absolutely sure you can keep it. He's done serious damage to public perception of the project by not even sending a simple one line email to say no time for a real update but just to let you know things are still rolling along. I never lost faith in him and his team but the silence will not have a good overall effect on the project. Hopefully if he can get a community manager approaching the caliber of our respected moderator/turtle the "take your money and run" types will be silenced.

That p-47 looks sooooooooo good. Can't wait.

ATAG_Colander
Nov-01-2013, 16:50
I have only one question:
Any 3D modeler that can explain why starting with the engine makes more sense than with the body?

Revvin
Nov-01-2013, 18:12
Nice update, the cockpits look fantastic. As far as updates go he shot himself in the foot making those comments about twice weekly updates and promising updates in the Kickstarter.Just popping into the forum to answer a question or two or just to say they are really busy and have not had time to put an update together would be better than nothing. He's just going to give an open goal to those who will take any opportunity to talk the whole project down like they did on the IL-2:BoS forums.

ATAG_Ribbs
Nov-01-2013, 18:16
Not a 3D modeler.. but i think you build from the inside out.. just my guess haha :)

ATAG_Bliss
Nov-01-2013, 19:23
Nice update, the cockpits look fantastic. As far as updates go he shot himself in the foot making those comments about twice weekly updates and promising updates in the Kickstarter.Just popping into the forum to answer a question or two or just to say they are really busy and have not had time to put an update together would be better than nothing. He's just going to give an open goal to those who will take any opportunity to talk the whole project down like they did on the IL-2:BoS forums.

Yep I agree. Even a small bit here and there would be enough to calm people down a bit. Hopefully someone that speaks English and Russian will apply for the job and do it well.

The update was really nice though. The P47 bits looked pretty amazing. Can't imagine what this will look like with all the lighting and reflection type stuff all with DX11.

RAF74_Buzzsaw
Nov-01-2013, 19:40
Looking forward to the release and flying all the planes I purchased, however, AFAIK P-47D-30 not operational in Normandy.

indyscout
Nov-01-2013, 20:46
Any 3D modeler that can explain why starting with the engine makes more sense than with the body?
If it was me, my reasoning would be that it just easier to do so. Its much easier to build something like that from the inside out. By starting on the internals they can build the rest of the plane around it, creating less room for error. If they started with the body the could have issues modeling the engine to fit. They may have other reasoning though.

Foul Ole Ron
Nov-01-2013, 22:14
Looking forward to the release and flying all the planes I purchased, however, AFAIK P-47D-30 not operational in Normandy.

The original KS page had the P47D-28 block which was operational over Normandy I think but maybe they've changed to the -30 in the meantime. Or maybe Luthier typoed. We can check with him.

Skoshi_Tiger
Nov-01-2013, 23:10

I assume that after 8 .50 cal Browning's get through with it, the only recognizable part of the 109 will be it's engine block ?????

Oh and to prove my bonafides as a 3d modeler here are two samples of my work. ;)

Revvin
Nov-02-2013, 08:24
I never progressed past a few half finished external models when dabbling with 3D editing when I played Targetware but the guys who were good at 3D modelling always said cockpits were the hardest part to do.

Screamadelica
Nov-02-2013, 09:33
If the DCS P51D is anything to go by, this is going to be freakin' incredible! I'm having the time of my life learning to fly the Mustang, can't wait for the FW190 Dora.
I think we may be about to get the WW2 flight sim we've all been waiting for. Ace!
:)

ATAG_Snapper
Nov-02-2013, 09:33
Yep I agree. Even a small bit here and there would be enough to calm people down a bit. Hopefully someone that speaks English and Russian will apply for the job and do it well.

The update was really nice though. The P47 bits looked pretty amazing. Can't imagine what this will look like with all the lighting and reflection type stuff all with DX11.

+1 Hopefully it's someone this time that actually LIKES the sim, too! LOL I was going to apply, but my Russian is a little rusty. :D We could've banned Luthier & Co. from this forum so I could feed everyone ALL of the inside poop!

I was also impressed with the Jug's cockpit. Also with the fact that they opted not to shortcut and sub in P51 gauges, even if it pushed things back a bit. I know it's likely a ways off yet, but their attention to detail bodes well eventually for the Spit MK IX. :thumbsup:

PFT_Endy
Nov-02-2013, 10:55

Nor was 109 K-4 but they said they are not looking to be limited to only Normandy time period. Normandy is basically just a starter map and the planes don't necessarily come from landing period or close.

9./JG52_J-HAT
Nov-02-2013, 11:13
Nor was 109 K-4 but they said they are not looking to be limited to only Normandy time period. Normandy is basically just a starter map and the planes don't necessarily come from landing period or close.

Yeah, I am assuming the reason they are making the normandy map is because they have all the reference and experience because they worked on it for CoD. The planeset doesn't really fit the time-frame.
I wish they would make the Ardennes later on, though! Maybe western Europe or a larger part of France and low countries.

But why the late-war planes to begin with?

PFT_Endy
Nov-02-2013, 11:27
Supposedly the K-4 is better documented or at least they had better documents for it than for G version for example. But I think Luthier also said that they want to make the G as well after some time. Perhaps the late war period is more popular as well.

Anyway, we can hope that when more maps are out (and the SDK should help with user created maps hopefully as well) and more planes there will be possibilities to use certain planesets on historically appropriate maps when designing missions etc. Let's hope the project is successful enough so that more planes and maps are gonna get made...

Catseye
Nov-02-2013, 11:40
The original KS page had the P47D-28 block which was operational over Normandy I think but maybe they've changed to the -30 in the meantime. Or maybe Luthier typoed. We can check with him.

Yes, a typo or a change. His original posting listed the following aircraft as a promo for the Kickstarter Program:

Flyable Aircraft:

Republic P-47D-28 Thunderbolt;
Supermarine Spitfire Mk IX;
Messerschmitt Bf-109K-4;
Focke-Wulf FW.190D-9 (from DCS: World);
North-American P-51D Mustang (from DCS: World).

Dutch
Nov-02-2013, 12:26
...their attention to detail bodes well eventually for the Spit MK IX. :thumbsup:

Yup, I've already dug out the pilot's notes for necessary bedtime reading. Oh man, auto-this, auto-that, but look out for the fuel tank in the rear fus. i.e. don't fill it. :D

Tempered
Nov-02-2013, 22:03
Not a 3D modeler.. but i think you build from the inside out.. just my guess haha :)

My guess would be that it has more to do with the hierarchy of the parts in the model. The frame chases the engine around, so to speak. All of the parts of the model have to be linked properly in order to work properly in game.

As far as the update and Ilya's interaction with his backers. Good update. Bad Ilya.

I have no doubt that he will finish the project (late) and everyone will get their rewards. I think he is well intentioned, and devoted, but shows a definite lack of punctuality and organization. Over and over again, he is late with something he promised.

Kling
Nov-03-2013, 05:41
Cockpit shots looks amazing!
I still think he shouldnt show the landscape until at least resembles anything like what a french landscape looks like. Colours are completely off as is the layout of fields and trees. But otherwise a good update!

Revvin
Nov-03-2013, 16:01
Cockpit shots looks amazing!
I still think he shouldnt show the landscape until at least resembles anything like what a french landscape looks like. Colours are completely off as is the layout of fields and trees. But otherwise a good update!

The colours look off because the screenshots are taken from the terrain editor and not in game where the colours will look different with the game engines lighting effects.

RAF74_Buzzsaw
Nov-03-2013, 17:32
Yes, a typo or a change. His original posting listed the following aircraft as a promo for the Kickstarter Program:

Flyable Aircraft:

Republic P-47D-28 Thunderbolt;
Supermarine Spitfire Mk IX;
Messerschmitt Bf-109K-4;
Focke-Wulf FW.190D-9 (from DCS: World);
North-American P-51D Mustang (from DCS: World).

No K-4's in Normandy either... they were not available till November of 1944, and that was in small numbers.

And the G models outnumbered the K's in service till the end of the war.

Correct 109 models in Normandy would be the G6's, and G14's later in July. (G10 didn't arrive till October)

And finally, as no doubt we'll see 190D9's flying around Normandy... this is also inaccurate, there were no D-9's based out of Norman airfields, or AFAIK engaged during the fighting there. They arrived in September in small numbers, and were based out of German fields.

I think they would have been better to create a Battle of the Bulge map if the above is the planeset they are using.

Razorback P-47's were in the majority during Normandy.

9./JG52_J-HAT
Nov-03-2013, 18:39
Exactly my thoughts, Buzzsaw!

Kling
Nov-03-2013, 19:14
The colours look off because the screenshots are taken from the terrain editor and not in game where the colours will look different with the game engines lighting effects.

Yes peopoe keep saying that. The editor doesnt give lighting but even with lighting the colours are wrong. This part or France is famouse for a certain type of landscape and this looks nothing like it. With or without in game lighting.

Of course i hope im wrong but no game by Luthier so far has had the correct landscape colours from start but was always up to the community to fix afterwards.

92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)
Nov-05-2013, 06:43
I'm surprised they don't just do the cockpit 3D modelling with a LiDAR.

Set one up inside a real cockpit and let it build the environment for you. At least all the dimensions and proportions would be exact to start off with....

Remon
Nov-06-2013, 08:12
I believe 3d scanning and converting/downgrading a model to game quality is much harder than building a new 3d model from scratch.

9./JG52 Ziegler
Nov-06-2013, 08:27

Set one up inside a real cockpit and let it build the environment for you. At least all the dimensions and proportions would be exact to start off with....

Excellent idea Phil as they now have small units capable of possibly squeezing inside a cockpit. :thumbsup:

Oersted
Nov-07-2013, 13:56
The original P-47 cockpit in il-2 "Classic" was an abomination: this one looks great so far!

Ctrl e
Nov-07-2013, 14:40

Would that really be possible? It would revolutionise game making if it were.

Revvin
Nov-08-2013, 05:23
In the pictures I've seen of point clouds from laser scanned tracks created by iRacing there are large black spots around the camera that it can't scan so they move the cameras around and manage to overlap but that's on a racing track many metres wide so would that be a problem in a tiny cockpit trying to pick up lots of tiny detail. Perhaps trying to pick out those points would be more time consuming than doing it from scratch based on pictures?