PDA

View Full Version : Is this how the new visibility works?

hnbdgr
Nov-05-2013, 05:11
Hi All,

I've found out I have problems locating enemy planes on my six recently, I recorded yesterdays brief game on the ATAG server. See attached full res screenshot from the track.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14123055/2013-11-05_00025.jpg

Does this seem right? they are breaking up at .69 and .72. I know it's not a zoomed in view from the plane looking back, but it seems like there's something not quite right with this...? or am i just imagining things?

thanks for answers

Wulf
Nov-05-2013, 05:39
OMG, down to a few hundred meters off the deck with 'SIX' Spits right up your tailpipe. Jesus, that is grim!:wf:

hnbdgr
Nov-05-2013, 05:49
Yup:) that's pretty much how it works on that invasion map :) I'm not complaining though, on this particular sortie, they shot out my electronics 1 minute after i was airborne but I managed to shake them off bar one. You can get shot at really early, but likewise there is plenty of targets, got about 5 kills in the course of an hour yesterday.

Whilst we're at that, how do you outtrick the one persistent spit that keeps chasing you on the deck. I know going WEP and closing radiatiors will give you close to 500 on the deck so you should outrun him after a while, but that means you have to fly in a straight line until he gets bored. Any tricks anybody wants to share?

hnbdgr
Nov-05-2013, 05:51
Here's a couple of screens from yesterday, it looks like the kuwait oil fields...

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ffxxrm3auem6739/VDXX4-tVuO

Mattias
Nov-05-2013, 06:58
Hi All,

I've found out I have problems locating enemy planes on my six recently, I recorded yesterdays brief game on the ATAG server. See attached full res screenshot from the track.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14123055/2013-11-05_00025.jpg

Does this seem right? they are breaking up at .69 and .72. I know it's not a zoomed in view from the plane looking back, but it seems like there's something not quite right with this...? or am i just imagining things?

thanks for answers

:salute:

Yes the wings still "break up" at ranges at certain resolutions when watched from dead 6 or 12. Only way to counter this is supersampling or higher resolution I'm afraid.
But please note that they are not invisible, as was the case pre TF4.0 :thumbsup:

Cheers/m

Mattias
Nov-05-2013, 06:58
Here's a couple of screens from yesterday, it looks like the kuwait oil fields...

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ffxxrm3auem6739/VDXX4-tVuO

roflmao

hnbdgr
Nov-05-2013, 07:09

Yes the wings still "break up" at ranges at certain resolutions when watched from dead 6 or 12. Only way to counter this is supersampling or higher resolution I'm afraid.
But please note that they are not invisible, as was the case pre TF4.0 :thumbsup:

Cheers/m

Thanks Mattias, i think they are better in some cases yes, it's perhaps just that map, everything is so dark, and when I up the gamma in sweetfx, I loose contrast on distant contacts... all a game of try and see...:)

Mattias
Nov-05-2013, 07:13
Thanks Mattias, i think they are better in some cases yes, it's perhaps just that map, everything is so dark, and when I up the gamma in sweetfx, I loose contrast on distant contacts... all a game of try and see...:)

Yes tweaking sweetfx, card settings and/or monitor settings can make or break visibility :thumbsup:
(I personally keep all settings neutral and disabled sweetfx now, but I'm sure I could get better settings if I only gave it some time)

Happy tweaking! :pcguy:

Cheers/m

Wulf
Nov-05-2013, 07:43
Whilst we're at that, how do you outtrick the one persistent spit that keeps chasing you on the deck. I know going WEP and closing radiatiors will give you close to 500 on the deck so you should outrun him after a while, but that means you have to fly in a straight line until he gets bored. Any tricks anybody wants to share?

Persistent Spits are one of those problems that never seem to go away unfortunately.

Two serious problems arise when fleeing a Spit while flying close to the deck. Firstly, he can out-turn you with ease. This being the case you're unlikely to achieve a successful break-turn unless his airspeed is much, much higher than your own. In the scenario you describe that's unlikely. Secondly your ability to out perform the Spit in the dive has been nullified by your decision to fly at low altitude. If you dive you fly into the ground. The most important lesson to take from all this is don't fly at low altitudes because in doing so you seriously compromise your chances of making it home. However, let's say you were forced low for some reason and now you have to live with the consequences. What if anything can you do? There are two things that may help. Firstly, if the Spit is right up your arse you can scissor. The Bf 109E, like the FW 190A, has a quicker roll-rate than the Spit. If you're any good you should be able to force an overshoot or make him stall by rolling hard to the left and right repeatedly to bleed-off speed. If he overshoots you can possibly get a shot and if he stalls he should spin into the ground. However, Scissors take practice. Also, if he has more speed than you he can avoid your little trap by climbing above you after the overshoot and then zoom you. So, the situation must be judged. Alternatively, if you have reasonable separation to start with you could attempt to climb. An ordinary climb may work but a 'step climb' (note, that is 'step' not steep) is probably better. Climb until your speed drops to about 350 and then flatten out and accelerate as hard as you can. Make sure your RPM is within the optimum range at all times. Once your speed has reached 400+/450 climb again. If you aren't already dead at this point you should probably be OK. Just keep step climbing until you've achieved good separation. If he's still down there, but hopefully well below you at this stage, you can decide whether to stay flat and run or roll down on to him and attack.

Hope this helps.

hnbdgr
Nov-05-2013, 08:26
Persistent Spits are one of those problems that never seem to go away unfortunately.

Two serious problems arise when fleeing a Spit while flying close to the deck. Firstly, he can out-turn you with ease. This being the case you're unlikely to achieve a successful break-turn unless his airspeed is much, much higher than your own. In the scenario you describe that's unlikely. Secondly your ability to out perform the Spit in the dive has been nullified by your decision to fly at low altitude. If you dive you fly into the ground. The most important lesson to take from all this is don't fly at low altitudes because in doing so you seriously compromise your chances of making it home. However, let's say you were forced low for some reason and now you have to live with the consequences. What if anything can you do? There are two things that may help. Firstly, if the Spit is right up your arse you can scissor. The Bf 109E, like the FW 190A, has a quicker roll-rate than the Spit. If you're any good you should be able to force an overshoot or make him stall by rolling hard to the left and right repeatedly to bleed-off speed. If he overshoots you can possibly get a shot and if he stalls he should spin into the ground. However, Scissors take practice. Also, if he has more speed than you he can avoid your little trap by climbing above you after the overshoot and then zoom you. So, the situation must be judged. Alternatively, if you have reasonable separation to start with you could attempt to climb. An ordinary climb may work but a 'step climb' (note, that is 'step' not steep) is probably better. Climb until your speed drops to about 350 and then flatten out and accelerate as hard as you can. Make sure your RPM is within the optimum range at all times. Once your speed has reached 400+/450 climb again. If you aren't already dead at this point you should probably be OK. Just keep step climbing until you've achieved good separation. If he's still down there, but hopefully well below you at this stage, you can decide whether to stay flat and run or roll down on to him and attack.

Hope this helps.

hey thanks wulf! I certainly didn't try either the step turn technique or scissors yet - step climb seems like the way to go, but I'll start practicing scissors see if i can get anywhere.

thanks again