PDA

View Full Version : Question about online graphic settings

Major Tom
Nov-16-2013, 15:36
A couple days ago I was flying on the ATAG server and I was chasing a 109 in my Spit. He dived to the deck and I followed right along, he then got a little ahead of me and headed into a forest at below treetop level. I soon lost sight of him. He did not crash as I saw no message indicating so or any explosion. At first I thought this was an exploit since trees do not cause collision damage. Then I realized that he could have his forests turned off for performance reasons or maybe just to keep others from doing what I mentioned to him. So my question is, does everyone fly with forests off online? If they do not, is it an acceptable tactic to do so? While we're at it, should I turn buildings down as well(less buildings less to crash into if you find yourself scraping the deck)?

ATAG_JTDawg
Nov-16-2013, 16:23
A couple days ago I was flying on the ATAG server and I was chasing a 109 in my Spit. He dived to the deck and I followed right along, he then got a little ahead of me and headed into a forest at below treetop level. I soon lost sight of him. He did not crash as I saw no message indicating so or any explosion. At first I thought this was an exploit since trees do not cause collision damage. Then I realized that he could have his forests turned off for performance reasons or maybe just to keep others from doing what I mentioned to him. So my question is, does everyone fly with forests off online? If they do not, is it an acceptable tactic to do so? While we're at it, should I turn buildings down as well(less buildings less to crash into if you find yourself scraping the deck)?

Yes they do it , yes it is gamey , But no rules against it. (shouldn't be any way). But a few do it for performance reasons.
So it is up to you , do you like trees on ? I do ! So my trees are on , an yes i lose a 109 here or there :thumbsup:

Combat Wombat
Nov-16-2013, 16:43
Interesting to know how many do or don't,Personally myself I always fly above the tree's even when under fire or being chased I just wish it was an unwritten rule to fly likewise :salute:

9./JG52 Mindle
Nov-16-2013, 18:33
I wish i had a system to run the game with forest and buildings at high!! :(

ATAG_Freya
Nov-16-2013, 18:44
I always get silently pissed off when I encounter a "tree hugger" but remind myself that some don't have the trees turned on for performance reasons so it's totally OK! For those who can have trees on but don't well it's a free world so they can do it if they want to, I usually make em pay for it anyways :devilish:...I stay out of the woods myself so-far, but If ever alone and being attacked by multiple bandits I may be tempted to let the creatures of the forest protect me!

http://i.neoseeker.com/p/Movies/Comedy/hot_rod_profilelarge.jpg

III./ZG76_Saipan
Nov-16-2013, 19:43
I have no problem flying in the trees. give me a proper tail gunner and it would be different.

ATAG_JTDawg
Nov-16-2013, 19:49
I have no problem flying in the trees. give me a proper tail gunner and it would be different.

You know all the big guns face forward :)

Headshot
Nov-17-2013, 00:43
To bad they can't hide a few solid objects here and the to make diving in the trees a bit more risky.

Roblex
Nov-17-2013, 03:11
I fly with forests turned off because my PC will barely provide 20fps even with them off. I do frequently fly very low when being chased but I don't do it to lose myself in the trees because, Duh, I can't see them. :D Let me say that another way to make it clear; when I fly low I am not even thinking about how I might be hidden by trees because from my perspective *there are no trees* Flying low when being chased by someone who is also low gives you a chance to not be seen against the horizon and I did it in IL2 as well where forests were on all the time.

To answer some other points...
Turning buildings down makes it harder to find the airfields as the hangars wont be drawn until very late. I am also not sure it removes buildings that you would otherwise have hit, I think it just makes them appear later (but I could be wrong)

Putting solid objects amongst the trees won't help stop tree huggers with no forests because, duh again :D, they cant see the trees but can see the objects.

9./JG52 Jamz Dackel
Nov-17-2013, 05:38
My Trees are on and I treat them as though they have collision parameters modelled in them.. If Someone I'm chasing goes through them then I take it they don't have trees 'enabled'..

If they are 'gaming' the game then that's their look out...I've already won that competition

Bear Pilot
Nov-17-2013, 14:10

I must admit, I've been guilty of flying through trees with a bomber/heavy-fighter in an attempt to lose a pursuer. But I do it as a last resort for the same reason. Flying straight and level while an enemy fighter nonchalantly rolls in on your six without a fear in the world and pours lead into you while your gunner sits and watches is a helpless and frustrating feeling.

I personally don't do it in a single engine fighter but that's just me.

Major Tom
Nov-17-2013, 18:38
Ok, well it seems to me that it is a matter of personal taste and whether or not your system can handle it. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on one of those online gaming secret edges and I was the only oaf that wasn't doing it. I will leave forests on. Thanks for the insight gents. :salute:

9./JG52 Ziegler
Nov-18-2013, 05:31
My Trees are on and I treat them as though they have collision parameters modelled in them.. If Someone I'm chasing goes through them then I take it they don't have trees 'enabled'..

If they are 'gaming' the game then that's their look out...I've already won that competition

+1 Yup same here Mate. It is annoying that some do that. I have trees on cause it looks good. I'm also the guy who lets a bad wounded or a plane that's landing (gear and flaps down) alone. S!

ChiefRedCloud
Nov-18-2013, 10:02
I fly with trees on simply because I like emersion and I can, graphics wise.