PDA

View Full Version : AI - strange behavior

HurricaneHarvest
Nov-22-2013, 06:22
Anyone know why a AI flight leader of 6 aircraft, leader "ACE", rest "Average" would abandon my waypoints early in a mission and head for home ? As flight leader, and as a "Ace", he should be leading by example yet the rest of flight continues on via waypoints while he heads for home. this happens time after time after time, on the same mission. Not only that, but recently, his number 2 and 3 are following him home !!! ??? leaving just 3 average planes to try and complete a mission. NO aircraft are damaged, to my observation.

HH

bolox
Nov-22-2013, 10:38
One thing that can do this is insufficient fuel to complete the plotted waypoints- this will trigger the AI into RTB mode. This behaviour is influenced by bravery level but ace should have no problem.

Another reason I've found for leaders (and 2nd/3rd occassionally) departing for home early is to do with where 1st waypoint is after takeoff- if it's too far from takeoff leader seems to devop engine problems and RTC's - try moving 1st waypoint after takeoff nearer to airfield and/or cahange speed/height of this waypoint. Wind direction can have an influence on where this needs to be placed also.
I can't give hard and fast rules as to what needs to be done to prevent this in mission design- but play around and see what works for you