PDA

View Full Version : Cloud distance help please

reflected
Nov-26-2013, 14:58
Hi Folks,

Even though I pasted this at the bottom of my confUser.ini in the MODS folder in my documents:

[MOD]
ZoomSpeed=10
ExtendCloudsDistance=yes

The cloud distance doesn't seem to be extended. Does it have anything to do with he fact that every time I start the game some new lines are added below it? Something about chat windows.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Mysticpuma
Nov-26-2013, 15:03
Have a read through this and also compare video settings?

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6431

Cheers, MP

ATAG_Freya
Nov-26-2013, 15:10
It shouldn't have anything to do with the 'chat windows' stuff, that is just where your in game windows setup for chat, text, radio calls, any hud info for engine stuff etc. is kept. One thing you could check is that landdetails=2 in the conf.ini file in the [core] section, in the MOD folder (usually user/documents/1csoftclub...you know the one?). You seem to have it OK with the confuser file stuff, though I recommend zoomspeed=3 myself, but that's a matter of personal preference....

Cheers

oh i see MP beat me to it. Damn he's fast :)

reflected
Nov-26-2013, 15:29
Thank you for the quick replies. I do have landdetails=2 so I'm not sure what is wrong. :/

Mysticpuma
Nov-26-2013, 15:41
Just in-case and forgive me for asking.

In a quick mission make sure the clouds are set to medium and 700 feet (for example). Now go for a flight. The clouds don't always generate next to your aircraft but once you are in a 'cloudy' area, you should see thicker clouds and no clouds popping up?

Try the London Bomber Intercept Mission in the Single/Quick Missions and set clouds Medium and height 700?

Just a thought?

Cheers, MP

reflected
Nov-27-2013, 02:00
I tried it. They are thicker and they don't pop up suddenly, but I can never see any of them further than about 10-15 miles. Maybe I misunderstood the update and it's about their thickness?

ATAG_Naz
Nov-27-2013, 02:31
I have the same reflected. Clouds don't pop into view like pre TF4 but I only see clouds within a few miles around my aircraft. If I am mid channel for example, I can look over at Dungeness and see that the sky is clear over there.... But when I fly to Dungeness, it will be cloudy there and the spot mid Channel where I was is now clear skies.

Is that normal for everyone else?

TWC_BikerJack
Nov-27-2013, 05:40
Hi guys,

I haven't noticed this issue with distant clouds not appearing - I will look out for it next time I am on the server.

However, this issue has reminded me of something I noticed the other day. The cloud detail/texture is more pronounced when viewing through the front cockpit screen than when viewed through the side cockpit perspex. They appear to be bleached out in comparison. This could be dependent on the position of the sun?

Not complaining one little bit - just something I have noticed and wondered if there is a reason for this.

reflected
Nov-27-2013, 11:06
I have the same reflected. Clouds don't pop into view like pre TF4 but I only see clouds within a few miles around my aircraft. If I am mid channel for example, I can look over at Dungeness and see that the sky is clear over there.... But when I fly to Dungeness, it will be cloudy there and the spot mid Channel where I was is now clear skies.

Is that normal for everyone else?

That's precisely what I (don't) see.

Mysticpuma
Nov-27-2013, 11:32
What sort of altitude are you flying around here guys when you talk about visibility distance?

MP

reflected
Nov-27-2013, 14:59
around 15k? The higher I am (no pun intended) the more noticeable the lack of clouds in the distance is.

ATAG_Colander
Nov-27-2013, 15:00
The clouds are not infinite. The mod makes them show further than in vanilla but they still only cover a finite distance from the point of view.

Now, if you don't see a difference between vanilla and mod, then there's something fishy.

ATAG_Naz
Nov-27-2013, 15:46
I can definitely see a difference between pre TF4 and TF 4 in terms of the clouds "popping in" issue... but I don't remember the sense of clouds surrounding my aircraft being so obvious before. Not to say it wasn't the same previously...perhaps I just notice it more now given the lack of cloud popping (if that makes any sense?).

reflected
Nov-27-2013, 16:02
Here's what I see from 6 km. In the other directions the clouds ended even closer:

http://s23.postimg.org/3nzlyi47f/Untitled_1.jpg

Marmus
Nov-27-2013, 17:02
Looks normal to me. Not sure what you are expecting. Cloud size is limited. You can add another weather system next to it, but memory becomes an issue eventually.

Mattias
Nov-27-2013, 17:19
Looks normal to me. Not sure what you are expecting. Cloud size is limited. You can add another weather system next to it, but memory becomes an issue eventually.

+1

The distance for cloud visibility has been increased x3 compared to stock/TF3 :thumbsup:

There is some unused code showing that the developers where planning to introduce even more distant clouds but for one reason or another this was never finalized. One day we might be able to finish what they started :thumbsup:

Cheers/m

reflected
Nov-28-2013, 01:31
Ah ok, my bad then! Thank you for clearing it up :salute: