PDA

View Full Version : Operation Trader

Salmo
Nov-27-2013, 00:16
Operation Trader

Following my work HERE (http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4973), and Kling's suggestion HERE (http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7006), and much discussion about how to limit plane numbers in missions, I announce Operation Trader is in beta testing on the Nations@War server.

I'm testing a few new tricky scripting concepts here, so I'd be interested in hearing about any problems. There are no Ai's, it's all human v human at this stage.

BATTLE
This is basically, a straightout dogfight. First army to shoot down 60 planes wins. You all know my missions are never "straight forward". Each base starts with a certain number of planes; take a plane from a base & there's one less plane available at that base. fail to return to a friendly base & there's one less plane for your army to use. Land a plane at a friendly base & there is one more plane available at that base. Land a plane at a enemy base & the enemy has one of that plane type available at their base :devilish:

Some bases behind the front line have 'unlimited' plane numbers. Number of planes available at bases is dynamically updated in the map (plane loading) screen.

Kling
Nov-27-2013, 00:48
Awesome!!!!!!
Any possibility to include a certain nr of pilots as well as the pilot can survive but the plane doesnt i.e ditching in the channel inside friendly lines...
Would encourage people to fly back as far as possible across the channel! ;)

Can this mission be implented together with the Rearm/refuel/repair function later when its available?!

Thx Salmo!

Salmo
Nov-27-2013, 01:25
Any possibility to include a certain nr of pilots as well as the pilot can survive but the plane doesnt i.e ditching in the channel inside friendly lines...
Would encourage people to fly back as far as possible across the channel! ;) Can this mission be implented together with the Rearm/refuel/repair function later when its available

I've read your previous post & suggestions. At this stage I'm only tracking aircraft use. RRR is an ATAG-function & is not implimented in my missions.

Kling
Nov-27-2013, 01:29
Very well! It sure sounds like a great mission and I will promote people to try it!!
I hope Colander can find the time to get the RRR or RR function to work properly as this mission together with that function would be ideal! ;)

Roblex
Nov-27-2013, 01:46
I love your missions Salmo but I don't like the sound of "Land a plane at an enemy base & the enemy has one of that plane type available at their base" There will just be loads of people changing sides to steal an enemy plane and the whole thing will get silly; not 'fun' just 'silly' as in 'annoying'.

Salmo
Nov-27-2013, 01:54
I love your missions Salmo but I don't like the sound of "Land a plane at an enemy base & the enemy has one of that plane type available at their base" There will just be loads of people changing sides to steal an enemy plane and the whole thing will get silly; not 'fun' just 'silly' as in 'annoying'.

You make a good point that I didn't think of. Script fixed, players just lose their plane if they land in enemy territory, but plane not added to enemy planeset.

Kling
Nov-27-2013, 02:41
Salmo is there currently any way one can limit the amount of fuel each airbase has?

Maybe sometimes in the future destroying the fuel drums at an airfield would limit the fuel they can take?

EG14_Marcast
Nov-27-2013, 03:43
Operation Trader

BATTLE
This is basically, a straightout dogfight. First army to shoot down 60 planes wins.

No targets for bombers ?:( Anyway, how can I enter the Nations at War server? It's not on my Steam list....

Kling
Nov-27-2013, 04:54
Unfortunately its evident that most people fly fighters. Only a very limited % fly bombers and most people would not even notice if there were no human bombers... saying that, ideally this mission would also include targets for bombers. Say 60 planes on each side OR 10 targets destroyed by bombers...
In ROF it was a point system. Shoot down a plane and you side got a certain amount of point. Destroy a target and your side would get another amount of points etc etc

Salmo
Nov-27-2013, 05:16
Very well! It sure sounds like a great mission and I will promote people to try it!! I hope Colander can find the time to get the RRR or RR function to work properly as this mission together with that function would be ideal! ;)

Salmo is there currently any way one can limit the amount of fuel each airbase has? Maybe sometimes in the future destroying the fuel drums at an airfield would limit the fuel they can take?

Unfortunately its evident that most people fly fighters. Only a very limited % fly bombers and most people would not even notice if there were no human bombers... saying that, ideally this mission would also include targets for bombers. Say 60 planes on each side OR 10 targets destroyed by bombers...
In ROF it was a point system. Shoot down a plane and you side got a certain amount of point. Destroy a target and your side would get another amount of points etc etc

You cannot build missions yourself but have a lot to say on how others should construct their missions. I suggest you build your own mission & craft it to how you'd like it. This mission has been withdrawn! ....

Kling
Nov-27-2013, 08:32
Haha what?!

I assume that you are joking. I guess you missed the other posts where im praising your mission!

Nowhere did I say anything negative about your mission, only postive stuff. I was purely asking you what is possible with coding in the future.

As for the question about bombers, I was answering the previous poster, DEFENDING your decision to focus on fighters and why there were no targets for bombers in the mission, or at least nothing mentioned about it.

As I said, I assume that you are joking.
If you really did withdraw the mission then I guess it wasnt meant to be and that is also fine.

Marmus
Nov-27-2013, 08:43
Salmo,

This sounds great! I am sure your scripting for this will have many future uses and further developments....you keep pushing the envelope with your scripts.

I will check out this weekend.....long holiday weekend in US, YAY!

Too bad I can't hit the broad side of a barn...unless it is with a bomb. But I guess I can be one of the ones shot down to reach 60!

ATAG_Snapper
Nov-27-2013, 16:44
You cannot build missions yourself but have a lot to say on how others should construct their missions. I suggest you build your own mission & craft it to how you'd like it. This mission has been withdrawn! ....

As one who has spent many frustrating hours dabbling in the Full Mission Builder, I cannot imagine the literally hundreds of hours it takes to actually create a completed full-blown mission that can stand up to the rigours of up to 100 online players on the ATAG Server. Also, the more exciting the mission, the more questions and ideas will be generated. Not a bad thing, of course, but it can be taxing in the extreme to entertain a myriad of well-intended suggestions on making changes when all you want to do is ensure the bloody thing will run correctly to begin with!

Let's first fly Salmo's Operation Trader first...fly the hell out of it.....and see how it goes. Thanks to Salmo for generously giving his time and expertise for another great mission!

Cheers,

Snapper :salute:

Kling
Dec-05-2013, 06:49
Is this thread open again?

ATAG_Snapper
Dec-05-2013, 08:47
Is this thread open again?

Yes, for any glitch reports on Operation Trader.

Kling
Dec-05-2013, 09:14
So it wasnt withdrawn?! Which server can it found on?! Looking forward to trying it out!

ATAG_Snapper
Dec-05-2013, 10:43
I have no idea what its status is at the moment.