PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Force Feedback 2

CrackerJack
Nov-27-2013, 18:20
I just picked up a MS FF2 joystick. I'm running Windows 8. Its not recognized when I plug into USB - shows up as Unknown. I've made a quick check for drivers and haven't had any luck. Any one know where they could be found? Also is there a calibration procedure that should be run before use with IL2?

Cheers

UPDATE - False alarm, working now after a disconnect and re-connect.

1lokos
Nov-27-2013, 18:32
Since Windows XP Micro$oft no more provide standalone drivers/software for Sidewinder line,
but include drivers in OS (at least in Vista, Seven...)

Funny, on MS Win 8.1 compatibility page:
Not compatible Visit the device manufacturer's website (
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compatibility/CompatCenter/ProductDetailsViewer?Name=Microsoft%20Sidewinder%2 0Force%20Feedback%202%20Game%20Controller&vendor=Microsoft&Type=Hardware&tempOsid=Windows+8.1[/url). :D

But one user report as compatible (http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-gaming/microsoft-flight-sidewinder-force-feedback-2-game/8020136c-7f6a-4cf3-abab-676fdf21e19e), no details...

Sokol1

ATAG_Lewis
Nov-27-2013, 18:32
You do't need drivers for it...and it will work fine with windows 8...try it in different usb ports....plug it in and reboot....You should be good to go...If you haven't had one of these before you are in for a treat...Good purchase

ATAG_Lewis
Nov-27-2013, 18:41
Ps......If you really want the drivers I am sure I can get them to you somehow...But all 4 of my wing buddies use MSFFB2s and none of us use the drivers....

ATAG_EvangelusE
Nov-27-2013, 20:16
Read your recommendation in the other thread Lewis and I bought one too (Sidewinder 2) but the non FF version based on what you said. Looking forward to it arriving and comparing it to my X52 (throttle unit is fine but the yoke action is past its' best). Useful thread that, should be stickied ....:thumbsup:

ATAG_Lewis
Nov-27-2013, 20:36
There's no going back now Evan......Dakkar..Dakkar...Dakkar...Dakkar..!!!!

http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr232/FS_Lewis/jems_october_005.jpg

The non-forcefeedback version is exactly the same....just no FFB....only a return spring..but I still put this over all other sticks....

Let us know how you get on with it Evan...~S~

ATAG_EvangelusE
Nov-27-2013, 20:42
lol......how many friggin hands have you got? If you saw my set up......actually...better you don't! Jealous here.......:D

Combat Wombat
Nov-27-2013, 21:39
Also have 3 mff2 and 5 spares just in-case, plus 1 Brand new unused one which I found in Germany sitting on a shelf since Microsoft discontinued the force feedbacks in 2003.

ATAG_Lewis
Nov-28-2013, 03:43
I actually bought about 7 or 8 of them just because they don,t make them anymore as backups.......But not one of them has failed......people all tell me they are indestructable.....My guess is after you have flown it a while you,ll invest in the FFB version Evan...lol

9./JG52 Ziegler
Nov-28-2013, 07:35
Read your recommendation in the other thread Lewis and I bought one too (Sidewinder 2) but the non FF version based on what you said. Looking forward to it arriving and comparing it to my X52 (throttle unit is fine but the yoke action is past its' best). Useful thread that, should be stickied ....:thumbsup:

You want an FF2. Without the FFB it not worth the bother (IMO) of only a few buttons and the like, might as well get a modern spring stick with lots of buttons. I have a couple of them myself but only used it for the FFB which is excellent.

ATAG_EvangelusE
Nov-28-2013, 09:40
It arrived and I had a quick test flight. I have to say that Precision 2 really has a lovely precise yoke action and beats my X52 yoke by a long mile. I will say more in Lewis's other thread once I have optomised all my button assignments as I think that thread could be useful as a 'sticky'.

If a FF version comes available I will try one but I am pretty much with Lewis in that I too prefer a sensitive action and have got very used to using a 'light touch'. I never liked any stick that has a stiff spring action - after an hour or so my wrist joints start to tell me that I am getting old...lol.

OK, I have lost some buttons but the X52 HOTAS Throttle has more than enough to compensate. I do like this stick and will get another for sure - I have a funny feeling that with FF I would end up just having a 'return to centre' setting.

ATAG_Lewis
Nov-28-2013, 12:37
Rgrt Evan...I flew with the non-FFB version for a few years and really liked the soft spring on them.....You don't have to fight the stick...only the opponent and the last thing you want is a to be fighting the stick too....

As for the other thread you are talking about..Is that the 'Which Stick' thread...?.....I was planning on that thread actually ONLY being a thread for getting a concensus so it could maybe attached to the 'beginners Guide' or simply stickied...but it is starting to become a discussion which I pointed out not to be in the beginning...as always folks can't help themselves..lol....so I may see Snap about having posts removed to get the thread back to what it was meant for..

...lew....

Dang...I bought so many when I first got one just incase it broke....now I have all these and none of them are broke!!!...sigh!

I had so many I even donated 2 for the electrics I put into the 2 saitek x36 throttles you see here as the electrics are so good....

You may also think thats a bit over the top....Well in my defence...what you are looking at here is under £100 ($160 US) worth of gear (least thats what it cost me on Ebay)...How much do you spend on a joystick and Throttle?

There are tricks to getting deals on Ebay...

1) Try searching a common spelling mistake....if you find one you will have no competition buyers....
2) Vague searches....like 'Joystick'...You will get many items but in those items you will get items items from folks who have no idea the worth of what they are selling nor on how to advertise it to get the most views....
3) Items that are sold at normal working hours or in the middle of the night...Most Ebayers do their buying at weekends or after work between 6 and 10pm....Anything that is sold at this time will get maximum buyers interest...So look for ones that have end time in early mornings or work times and not weekend...
4) Use a Snipe Website (like Goofbay)....Snipes allow you to put your bid onto an item with only a few seconds to go without your PC needing to even be turned on....If you find an item you are intersted in then don't bid on it, only watch it....If you bid on it before the sale time you give any bidder that time to contemplate upping a bid..and don't forget during that time they only have to think its a good idea once to increase the sale price...A snipe simply stops them having the time to think about it...
5) Always open a dialogue with the seller (using 'Contact Seller' option) and politely ask for a buy it now price when they have NOT put one on initially....They can only say no and the bidding go on as normal....but sometimes they say yes and give you a ridiculously low price because they don't know the worth of what they are selling and haven't researched that particular items average sale price or simply missed the option for a 'Buy it Now' price when they advertised it......This price they then give you will also be a price no one else can see.....BINGO!!

I'm givin' you Pearls here fellas...PEARLS I TELL YA!!!

http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr232/FS_Lewis/DSC05966_zps8d3b2cc9.jpg

ATAG_EvangelusE
Nov-28-2013, 13:59
Well, we all know where to go begging when the SH market dries up! :D

That is the thread 'Whiich Joystick?' and you are absolutely right regards the 'brief' so I will stick to that when I post. If posters stick with the 'brief' you set out in your opening post it will be a very useful resource and should be 'stickied' IMO. I woudn't have bought the Sidewinder 2 had it not been for that thread, what you and others said, and I am glad I read it.

I was going to fork out a lot more for a replacement X52 - I have actually got something better for a hell of a lot lot less by replacing just the yoke assembly and using it with the perfectly OK X52 Throttle HOTAS....great stuff.....owe you a drink bud!

Thanks for the 'pearls' only trouble is - everyone going to want one and I want another ......cheap!

:thumbsup:

Valisk_61
Nov-29-2013, 05:08
Hell's teeth Lew. No wonder whenever I go to buy a spare on ebay I get outbid...

ATAG_Lewis
Nov-29-2013, 05:20
Also....

5) Always open a dialogue with the seller (using 'Contact Seller' option) and politely ask for a buy it now price when they have NOT put one on initially....They can only say no and the bidding go on as normal....but sometimes they say yes and give you a ridiculously low price because they don't know the worth of what they are selling and haven't researched that particular items average sale price or simply missed the option for a 'Buy it Now' price when they advertised it......This price they then give you will also be a price no one else can see.....BINGO!!

I bought a Rickenbacker guitar for half the price it was worth using this method from someone who wanted a quick sale..and also a couple of the FFB joysticks too for under £15 ($24).....You can save a lot of money if you put a bit of effort in...

ATAG_EvangelusE
Dec-06-2013, 04:28
I have a MSFF2 on the way but can't find any info regards setting it up and trying different FF settings in CloD.

I can see a 0/1 flag for FF in the Conf file but thats all?

9./JG52_Meyer
Dec-06-2013, 04:45
Hello EvangelusE
You wont be disapointed in the FFB stick its fantastic, however i found that when i fired the cannons it would bounce around a lot simulating the recoil . This bouncing around is too much, the first rounds would hit the target but the rest would pass by either side or over the top so i got a small programme that dumbs down the recoil effects it also can change all the other FFB effects like spring resistance to centre, MG and whatever
other effects are in the FBB folder cant remember. You just have to set it the once on your initial set up of running the programme and forget about it.
I am at work at the minute and cant remember the name of this utility , you are welcome to it if you want it. Try your FFB stick first and see if you can live with the original feedback if not let me know and i will sort you out.
Also we can look at your slider settings for Pitch and Roll ,these as you know are very important and we all fly with our own preferences i found that a FFB stick slider settings are very different from a non feedback stick. It will take a bit of time to get used too and you will most probably stall and flip all over the place at first but soon you will get the hang of how much pressure to put on the stick on various movements and you will be fine.
I havnt spoke about yaw as i dont use pedals i am in the minority i use the twist on the stick.
I dont have the room at the minute for the pedals and do all my flying standing up

http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/vv58/stapme/20131126_142447_zps0cf2dccb.jpg (http://s669.photobucket.com/user/stapme/media/20131126_142447_zps0cf2dccb.jpg.html)

Doesnt seem to hamper me though i like to think i do ok in combat with this method

ATAG_EvangelusE
Dec-06-2013, 06:37
Thanks Meyer, I will post when it arrives and I have checked it. :thumbsup:

ATAG_Lewis
Dec-08-2013, 11:22
Meyer...You do know that you can delete the files for all the feedback?...just leaving the spring return file

ATAG_Snapper
Dec-08-2013, 12:51
I have a Sidewinder2 which I love and I'm keeping it as a spare should my Warthog HOTAS go south on me. IIRC the cannon and machine gun effects reside in the same folder as the stall effects -- IOW you throw out the baby with the bath water if you eliminate/reduce cannon effects. It's been a very long time, so perhaps I'm wrong here.

9./JG52_Meyer
Dec-08-2013, 15:06
Yea Lew i do , cheers just like to have a tad of movement in there :thumbsup:

ATAG_EvangelusE
Dec-12-2013, 08:55
The SWFF2 arrived but I haven't had much luck setting it up. Windows 7 recognises it and I tried the regedit permissions to 'Deny' recommendation but the stick doesn't centre reliably. It stops the shaking when the guns are fired, etc.

In the posts above there are references to set the FF to 'return to centre' only by deleting unwanted lines but where is the file located and what am I looking for?

Also, do you have to set the FF flag=1 in conf. ini?

Any help muchos appreciated.

Edit: Re-plugged into USB and I am getting somewhere, It is centring now and I can feel the force but if I push the nose down it 'flops' untill I pull the stick back and the centring force kicks back in.......feels really strange after using spring loaded yokes.

9./JG52_Meyer
Dec-12-2013, 15:44
Patience young Padawan! all will be well in the fullness of time. :thumbsup:

ATAG_EvangelusE
Dec-12-2013, 17:04
OK, I found a folder in Steam named FF with what appears to be various feedback settings. I have kept the one named 'Spring' as I guess this is the 'return to centre' file and the one mentioned in the posts above.

I will revert the permissions back to full and see what happens.

JV44Rall
Dec-14-2013, 21:32
I actually bought about 7 or 8 of them just because they don,t make them anymore as backups.......But not one of them has failed......people all tell me they are indestructable.....My guess is after you have flown it a while you,ll invest in the FFB version Evan...lol

For the FFB2 collectors, do you prefer the red lite or green light version? I have two of one and three of the other. I don't know why, the red light feels better.

9./JG52 Ziegler
Dec-15-2013, 08:31
OK, I found a folder in Steam named FF with what appears to be various feedback settings. I have kept the one named 'Spring' as I guess this is the 'return to centre' file and the one mentioned in the posts above.

I will revert the permissions back to full and see what happens.

How did that work out E? I'm the one who posted the reg edit deal and like you it didn't always center but in my case, it just took a little "wake up shake" and the FFB would come on and center.

ATAG_EvangelusE
Dec-15-2013, 09:21
Hi Ziegler, glad I saw that post which mentioned your Regedit recommendations. I have gone back to your method of changing permisssions, the 'return to centre' has been completely stable (which it wasn't using just the Steam 'Spring' file and default permissions ALLOW - Everyone).

The only thing I couldn't get used to was the optical sensor on the yoke disengaging the motors if you moved or changed your hand position on the yoke and it would 'flop'. I blanked the optical sensor with a bit of tape and hey presto! - I can let go of the yoke or adjust my hand position and the stick returns to centre rather than 'flops'.

I am getting to like it and can see why it's such a popular stick.

I would be interested to see if anyone can confirm that there are noticeable differences with the red buttoned SWFFB2 - It had a software revision and soft grip material, etc but I can't find any conclusive info on Google regards superior performance.

9./JG52 Ziegler
Dec-15-2013, 11:40
Thanks E, good stuff. :thumbsup:

I don't think there is much difference between the two either but mine are green models.
I'm going to try that optical sensor tape trick you mentioned as that was the only thing that bugged me also.

Z

CrackerJack
Dec-15-2013, 19:35
Where is the optical sensor? I've had a similar problem and would like to give it a try. Is it on hand grip, near the bottom. There is a little hole which doesn't appear to have a fastener in it??

Hi Ziegler, glad I saw that post which mentioned your Regedit recommendations. I have gone back to your method of changing permisssions, the 'return to centre' has been completely stable (which it wasn't using just the Steam 'Spring' file and default permissions ALLOW - Everyone).

The only thing I couldn't get used to was the optical sensor on the yoke disengaging the motors if you moved or changed your hand position on the yoke and it would 'flop'. I blanked the optical sensor with a bit of tape and hey presto! - I can let go of the yoke or adjust my hand position and the stick returns to centre rather than 'flops'.

I am getting to like it and can see why it's such a popular stick.

I would be interested to see if anyone can confirm that there are noticeable differences with the red buttoned SWFFB2 - It had a software revision and soft grip material, etc but I can't find any conclusive info on Google regards superior performance.

ATAG_EvangelusE
Dec-15-2013, 19:49
Just look carefully at the yoke bottom where your hand rests and you will see small hole.

That small hole is just under where your 'pinky' would normally rest on the base. Directly above just under the trigger is another small hole. I put a small piece of tape to cover the bottom hole but you can cover either - you just have to break the IR beam.

I would recommend disconnecting the mains lead when the stick is not in use so that the motors are not continually drawing current unecessarily or just remove the tape.

I will probably cut a small circular piece of card with a slit that can be fitted or removed easily over the palm rest.

CrackerJack
Dec-16-2013, 07:12
Go it ! Thanks for that.

Bokonon
Dec-27-2013, 13:03
Hey guys, I was inspired by this thread to go and buy a FFB2, got it today but it only seems to have a centering force, no other effects at all( Only tried on CloD). I didn't try to install the drivers yet as I am led to believe that they are not compatible with win7. Lewis I'm curious as to what I need to do to get this sorted?

ATAG_EvangelusE
Dec-27-2013, 17:10
I asked the same question but as far as I can tell you need to enable forcefeedback in the Conf file located in the il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover - MOD directory, the entry should be set as below:-

[rts_joystick]
FF=1 (normally =0)

I found the Forcefeedback effects folder (FF) in the Steam installation 'Parts - Core' directory, I think this is where you can keep certain effects and delete or move any you do not want.

If there is more to know or I have made a mistake someone will correct my post - I only use the motors to centre.

Bokonon
Dec-28-2013, 07:44
Yea, the conf file has ff=1 already so its not that, and brief testing with il2 seems to indicate that ffb is functional. Also if the centering force works then it's not a faulty stick right?
Also if you only use the motors to centre what is the advantage over a sprung stick?

ATAG_EvangelusE
Dec-28-2013, 13:22
I set mine back to default to test the FF effects in CloD. I noticed FF effects such as stick shake when firing guns, entering a Stall, etc and reduced centering forces under certain conditions. Try unplugging the USB connection and then re-connecting in game.

As for the motors v Spring centering question - I prefer the motors but that's just my preference regards the difference in 'feel' compared to my X52 (which got a bit 'sloppy' and 'sticky' over time). I also find the FF2 yoke more comfortable to hold for long periods.

Hopefully there will be more input in answer to your questions regards using the MSSWFF in CloD .

For the time being, I will use the 'regedit' method to get a consistent centering force that works 100% of the time in CloD.

Bokonon
Dec-28-2013, 13:46
Thanks for the advice, will test when I get home. I must admit the stick does have a nice feel to it with just the centering force enabled.

Bearcat
Jan-08-2014, 23:23
The MSFFB2 is IMO the finest joystick ever made.. I still have my original one from 2001 .. and the spare I got in 2003.. Lewis it looks like you have a lifetimes worth because these things are built like tanks.. Nice mods on the Saiteks BTW.. the FFB does things no spring can ever do and these are the best FFB sticks that I know of. I don't even use the gunshake.. I just like the solid variable stick forces.. but I hit this thread because I wanted to know if there is a fix for the FFB issues in CoD or is it just me that has the stick forces go dead in mid flight. That is a real drag for me because the only stick I have is the MSFFB .. and my modified X-52 throttle and when the stick forces just drop out in mid flight it makes control more problematic.

Hmm I just noticed some posts I hadn't see before in this thread so I will check that out..

Hoots
Jan-09-2014, 02:11
The MSFFB2 is IMO the finest joystick ever made.. I still have my original one from 2001 .. and the spare I got in 2003.. Lewis it looks like you have a lifetimes worth because these things are built like tanks.. Nice mods on the Saiteks BTW.. the FFB does things no spring can ever do and these are the best FFB sticks that I know of. I don't even use the gunshake.. I just like the solid variable stick forces.. but I hit this thread because I wanted to know if there is a fix for the FFB issues in CoD or is it just me that has the stick forces go dead in mid flight. That is a real drag for me because the only stick I have is the MSFFB .. and my modified X-52 throttle and when the stick forces just drop out in mid flight it makes control more problematic.

Hmm I just noticed some posts I hadn't see before in this thread so I will check that out..

Hey bear, I think this relates to using some munitions. If you very briefly fire your guns on the ground it stops this happening.

ATAG_EvangelusE
Jan-09-2014, 08:33
Bear, I have consistent centering in clod using the regedit method described in the thread linked below. (No other effects though) http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7374&highlight=force+feedback

1lokos
Jan-09-2014, 09:05
From 1C/il-2 forum

http://www.mediafire.com/?0v99r1lbhhmeblh

Before edit, backup the original "spring.ffe" file.

Replacement switches:

The switches used (in MSFF2) are Omron 150g actuation tactile jobs. They are available from Digi-Key.

The ones for the hat are Digi-Key part number SW408-ND (Omron # B3F3122) and are $0.36 each (4 required).

The switches for the stick buttons other than the trigger are Digi-Key part number SW401-ND (Omron # B3F1002) and are $0.26 each (3 required).

The trigger switch is Digi-Key part number SW426-ND (Omron B3M6009) and are $0.71 each (1 required).

Sokol1

ATAG_EvangelusE
Jan-09-2014, 16:41
Thanks for that link Sokol1 but does this program modify the in game FF files? I can't find any info on how to use it or exactly what it can do.

brucevonlodi
Jan-09-2014, 19:06
I have a digi key account and have replaced the switches in the MSFFII joystick, a little bit of effort getting the stick reassembled. The main trigger switch seems to go bad most often.

Batmanz
Mar-18-2014, 21:36
I have just found a FFB2 red trigger stick .My problem is it has a very sticky rubber grip ,any suggestions what to use to clean it ??

ATAG_Lewis
Mar-18-2014, 22:11
Rgrt Batmanz...That is the red version with red trigger and top buttons...I have one too and the grip is sticky....I didn't like the sticky on that one either...The grip is the same as the standard cheap non-forcefeedback type except that it is non-sticky......I removed the grip and replaced it with the plastic grip....

What ever spirit you use test it on the bottom and make sure that you use it by dampening a cloth and not soaking it...DO NOT get any in the workings....

If you still are unhappy and you are good with DIY then I may have a spare grip in my attic.....if you are in the UK I could send it you....

PS..Sorry for ignoring this thread fellas....I didn't realise so many folks had been asking questions.....But to answer them....The only thing I did with my stick was remove all the files from the 'FF' folder apart from the 'Spring' file....That just gives you return to centre.....I didn't do any setup at all...It was just Plug and play..no problem...as long as its plugged in before the game boots it should work

and

Welcome to the community and forums Batmanz....~S~

Checkout the 'Beginners Guide'...for info and tips...It should save you a heap of time in getting up to scratch.....and its a really fun learning curve anyway..

Beginners Guide Link Here (http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5058&p=52711)

Also try youtube for startup procedures on all the aircraft...

Any questions then you've come to the right place....

Good to have you with us buddy...and remember its all about the Fun!!!

...lew...

ATAG_EvangelusE
Mar-18-2014, 22:12
Mine was the same. Looking at it I got the impression that the original surface coating had worn away. Try a mild soapy detergent applied with a cloth but don't use any solvent based cleaners as I found it made it worse. I prefer the plain plastic used on the grey trigger model and the non FF sidewinder 2.

I keep the red trigger FF stick as a spare and, as Lewis has done, will probably change the handle for the plastic one on my non FF Sidewinder 2 - simple to do on these sticks. Worth getting a non FF model just for spares (Switches, potentiometers, etc) and they are usually very cheap on Ebay.

1lokos
Mar-18-2014, 22:24
.My problem is it has a very sticky rubber grip ,any suggestions what to use to clean it ??

This happen with sticks with rubber coat (example some Saitek).

You can remove this rubber with WD 40 - spray (put the base/cable on a plastic bag), await some time and use a cloth to rub. Recently I did it with Saitek Cyborg.

Other option is disassemble the grip and paint with Plast Dip. (http://www.plastidip.com/)
Sample (on mouse): http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/forum/showthread.php?8138-Stealth-Mouse-A-4-hour-mod-using-Plasti-Dip

Sokol1

ATAG_Lewis
Mar-18-2014, 23:00
Good idea.....Probably best to remove the grip and then you can get stuck into it without getting any electrical parts wet...

someone suggested this for MSFFBS2

''OK now thanks... a rub with rubbing alcohol then a dusting with talcum powder worked .''...I would take it apart for this suggestion

and a rubberised mouse..

''Just put some rubbing alchol on an old cloth rag and use that rub it off. The alchol seems to disolve the coating and it comes off easily.

I've had to do that with all of my aging microsoft mice. They continue to work fine and I prefer the plactic surface much better than the original rubber one.''

So thats what I'd do...take it apart.....then use alcohol on it...wash it off with some washing up liquid.....dry it THOROUGHLY...put it back together

PS...nail polish remover is alcohiol...so you can use nail polish remover if you know someone that knows a girl.....my mate does!

Batmanz
Mar-19-2014, 23:31
Thank for the welcome.Ive been owtta the game for quite a while.Im in New Zealand ,not a huge sim community here but I have picked up 3 MS flight sticks in the last 2 weeks .1 SW Precision Pro , 1 SW FFB Pro and 1 FFB2 red. Are any of the other red bits supposed to light up or just the small base light ?? Anyway I'm enjoying the FFb ,lotsa fun.I'm getting killed lots !!

Still not set up correctly yet so thanks for the links.

I'm going to try a bit of rubbing alc , did use window glass cleaner ,not good ,then washed with soapy water and rubbed some rice bran oil (the good stuff) and it did take the sticky away and left everything very shinny but dont think thats quite the answer.Further report to follow.

happy flyin

1lokos
Mar-19-2014, 23:42
Yes, after remove the "stick" the grip is shining. :)

1 SW FFB Pro

If your SW FF PRO is gameport, get a Leonardo PRO Micro (Arduino) and build this simple adapter for USB.

PRO Micro: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050430.m570.l1313&_nkw=Pro+Micro+5V%2F16MHz+ATMega+32U4&_sacat=0&_from=R40
https://code.google.com/p/adapt-ffb-joy/wiki/HowToBuild

Sokol1

jont122
Mar-20-2014, 15:58
Hello

My MS Forcefeedback stick has stopped working since ive updated to V4.3? the top hat button works and I can look round, but all the flight controls do not work? When I first installed V4.3 late yesterday the joystick worked. But I installed the Malta Map, and know the joystick does not?

Any help would be appreciated

Regards

Its Okay I've managed to reset the joystick and its working fine......................................

1lokos
Mar-20-2014, 17:42
:joystick:

:cussing:

http://www.gavca.com/phpBB3/images/smilies/icon_rtfm.gif

:flying2:

:clap:

:D

Batmanz
Mar-22-2014, 21:48
I have just found a FFB2 red trigger stick .My problem is it has a very sticky rubber grip ,any suggestions what to use to clean it ??

solved !

Steelo Soap pad pot scrub.Took about 15min.Use fresh soapy pad.When the soap effect runs out the pad is no where as effective.

Leaves a nice matt finish. :thumbsup:

Now if I can just get it back together.

Not for people of nervous disposition if this is your only MSFFB2 :-)

MonThackma
Apr-14-2014, 13:37
Very interesting stuff. Looks like I may be sparring with some of you on Ebay soon!

Anyone here have any experience converting a Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback Pro to USB for use in CoD?

I have one in storage. Forgot about it until I happened upon this thread. I REALLY miss using this controller. It was put to good use in Combat Flight Simulator.

ATAG_Lewis
Apr-14-2014, 18:07
@MonThackma....I'd just get the Sidewinder 2...or better still the feedback version.....If you know how to play Ebay then you can get one cheap...They are out there...Just need to bide your time and use your head...

MonThackma
Apr-14-2014, 18:34
@MonThackma....I'd just get the Sidewinder 2...or better still the feedback version.....If you know how to play Ebay then you can get one cheap...They are out there...Just need to bide your time and use your head...

I am very happy with my CH Combatstick/Throttle/Pedals, so I'm not necessarily chomping at the bit for another piece of hardware. BUT, if I can get my hands on the feedback version for a decent price, I'm all over it.

How does the FF2 hold up over time? Worth it to buy used? Are new ones very rare? I've seen some used ones for cheap. However I hate buying used electronics, especially something complex like a force feedback controller, where repairs/mods are outside my comfort zone.

I will take your advice and keep my eye on Ebay.

ATAG_Lewis
Apr-14-2014, 19:11
@MonThackma..

Rgrt Evan...I flew with the non-FFB version for a few years and really liked the soft spring on them.....You don't have to fight the stick...only the opponent and the last thing you want is a to be fighting the stick too....

As for the other thread you are talking about..Is that the 'Which Stick' thread...?.....I was planning on that thread actually ONLY being a thread for getting a concensus so it could maybe attached to the 'beginners Guide' or simply stickied...but it is starting to become a discussion which I pointed out not to be in the beginning...as always folks can't help themselves..lol....so I may see Snap about having posts removed to get the thread back to what it was meant for..

...lew....

Dang...I bought so many when I first got one just incase it broke....now I have all these and none of them are broke!!!...sigh!

I had so many I even donated 2 for the electrics I put into the 2 saitek x36 throttles you see here as the electrics are so good....

You may also think thats a bit over the top....Well in my defence...what you are looking at here is under £100 ($160 US) worth of gear (least thats what it cost me on Ebay)...How much do you spend on a joystick and Throttle?

There are tricks to getting deals on Ebay...

1) Try searching a common spelling mistake....if you find one you will have no competition buyers....
2) Vague searches....like 'Joystick'...You will get many items but in those items you will get items items from folks who have no idea the worth of what they are selling nor on how to advertise it to get the most views....
3) Items that are sold at normal working hours or in the middle of the night...Most Ebayers do their buying at weekends or after work between 6 and 10pm....Anything that is sold at this time will get maximum buyers interest...So look for ones that have end time in early mornings or work times and not weekend...
4) Use a Snipe Website (like Goofbay)....Snipes allow you to put your bid onto an item with only a few seconds to go without your PC needing to even be turned on....If you find an item you are intersted in then don't bid on it, only watch it....If you bid on it before the sale time you give any bidder that time to contemplate upping a bid..and don't forget during that time they only have to think its a good idea once to increase the sale price...A snipe simply stops them having the time to think about it...

I'm givin' you Pearls here fellas...PEARLS I TELL YA!!!

http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr232/FS_Lewis/DSC05966_zps8d3b2cc9.jpg

Use these tricks above.....They do work with Ebay....and it will save you money....If you are not in a hurry to get one you are in an ideal situation to get one cheap...

I have 6 - 7 MSS2FFB and about the same again in the standard non-feedback version...ALL of them I bought 'USED' from Ebay...Not one of them have any failure electronics in any of them....I even donated a couple of the non-feedback electronics for my 2 Hybrid Saitek x36 throttles...My theory with these sticks on ebay is that they are very good joystick..bullet proof if you will...and they are good...so good that if you were a fanatical flight simmer like us there's no way you would part with it....I think most on ebay are hardly used and bought initially by kids who found quickly that flight sims weren't for them...so most of the sticks on ebay are hardly used.....maybe...just my theory

By the way...They stopped making these sticks many years ago....so you only will get used ones on Ebay..

Having said all that i didn't know you had the CH Joystick and pedals...so I would only really suggest you get a sidewinder2 as a back up or for the fun of it...I think you probably have a good setup already...

MonThackma
Apr-14-2014, 19:24
Having said all that i didn't know you had the CH Joystick and pedals...so I would only really suggest you get a sidewinder2 as a back up or for the fun of it...I think you probably have a good setup already...

Yeah my setup is solid. Can't complain at all. But ever since I shelved the feedback joystick many years ago, something has been "missing" from my experience. It hasn't bothered me for the past couple of years because I've spent 90% of my simming time learning to fly "by the book" in FSX, much of that time in A2A Accusim warbirds. Now that I am migrating back to combat, I am feeling the need for feedback again.

Thanks very much for the tips and inspiration.

buster_dee
Apr-15-2014, 21:57
They DO break, but you have to be really, really mad at them lol. I sheared off a gameport in the very early days. I knew the stick could not possibly be to blame, so I got another (which I still have). I found the gameports to have better flight feel, but they are poorer "aimers" than the USB. They hunted more when centered, where you are usually on someone's six, salivating for the kill. The USB feels a little more wooden, but it behaves better when centered. I really wish I could make the gameport work again, but adapters only seem to pass the position, not the feedback.

I never heard of the "red" one. Now I want to find one of those. These sticks are proof that Microsoft is not all-knowing. How they could bail on such a fine product is beyond me. Then again, I don't know the facts about their decision.

I tape the hole, but it goes spastic if I fire up a game, and the stick happens to be sitting off to the side, flopped over. Leaving the whole unplugged has it's own hazards. More than once, my brother wanted to take my head off after I jumped into a tank in ARMA 3 and forgot to get hold of the stick 1st. He has been a road kill more than once.

PowerShot
Aug-15-2014, 13:25
So I finally purchased Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 for 16 dollars. To bad the mailing inside our own border costed 24 dollars just to send the joystick. That's Norway mail expenses. Anyway, it was cheep 40 dollar for some good game time I hope will last forever.

So I just wonder about the install process that confuse me. Some talk about drivers, and others say you don't need it, just plug it in the computer. I have windows 8.1. Should I just plug it in the usb on the computer and then just run the game? Nothing more?

If there is a driver I need to install, I would be pleased to get a direction where find that driver, since I just purchased the joystick, and it came without any drivers.

ATAG_Lewis
Aug-16-2014, 13:10
I have the disc...and I have downloaded the drivers....just to see...but the MSSWFFB2 has worked on all my PCs and laptops from XP, Vista and 7...(not tried it on 8)...I would say you do not need any drivers for it....Plug it in and see if its recognised....

Also after months and months of playing CLOD my MSSWFFB2 suddenly didn't work...It basically had set itself to 'Joystick0' in my game as oppose to 'Joystick1'...I had no idea why....It just did it.....Anyway the solution was to re map all my keys...but I did it the easy way by going into my files and finding the 'confUser' file and changing all the joystick0 to joystick1.....and it worked....Weird phenomenon...but easily resolved when you know where to do it...

PowerShot
Aug-16-2014, 18:31
I have the disc...and I have downloaded the drivers....just to see...but the MSSWFFB2 has worked on all my PCs and laptops from XP, Vista and 7...(not tried it on 8)...I would say you do not need any drivers for it....Plug it in and see if its recognised....

Also after months and months of playing CLOD my MSSWFFB2 suddenly didn't work...It basically had set itself to 'Joystick0' in my game as oppose to 'Joystick1'...I had no idea why....It just did it.....Anyway the solution was to re map all my keys...but I did it the easy way by going into my files and finding the 'confUser' file and changing all the joystick0 to joystick1.....and it worked....Weird phenomenon...but easily resolved when you know where to do it...

I tried and it recognises on Windows 8.1 64 bit, green light on joystick, but the force feedback is not very strong at all in game, nearly all gone. It's also look like I can manipulate the joystick to let go of force feedback completely when just jiggle very small movement at centre for some second and smooth push forward, it's like it's just all loose, before it stiff it self up again. But the force feedback is all over very weak, disappointed weak.

My windows 8 is all new, completely reinstalled. Maybe I should try it on windows 7 edition. I hear that it would work on windows 7, but do it work on 64 bit windows 7? If that's the case and it does not work on windows 8, it's time to downgrade to 7, but that's not the best wishes.

Why do they not support force feedback no more? Whats the point with a stick that can't feel the environment?

RAF74_Raptor
Aug-18-2014, 00:18
Best stick ever made period.

hnbdgr
Aug-18-2014, 05:32
I tried and it recognises on Windows 8.1 64 bit, green light on joystick, but the force feedback is not very strong at all in game, nearly all gone. It's also look like I can manipulate the joystick to let go of force feedback completely when just jiggle very small movement at centre for some second and smooth push forward, it's like it's just all loose, before it stiff it self up again. But the force feedback is all over very weak, disappointed weak.

My windows 8 is all new, completely reinstalled. Maybe I should try it on windows 7 edition. I hear that it would work on windows 7, but do it work on 64 bit windows 7? If that's the case and it does not work on windows 8, it's time to downgrade to 7, but that's not the best wishes.

Why do they not support force feedback no more? Whats the point with a stick that can't feel the environment?

Hi Dude,

I can't help with the lack of FF, mine behaves fine on win7. However, you can edit FF through a 3rd party utility i think it's called force edit, see if you can google it.

The other bit is explained here, i had the same issue:

see post 8

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11465&highlight=microsoft+feedback

ben801ben801
Feb-07-2015, 13:29
[QUOTE=ATAG_Lewis;76832]You do't need drivers for it...and it will work fine with windows 8...try it in different usb ports....plug it in and reboot....You should be good to go...If you haven't had one of these before you are in for a treat...Good purchase[/QUOT

I'v installed all availble patchs up to 4.312.

After patch4.0 installed, I can still feel strong force when I fire canon, but I can not feel pitch and roll movments force on my FFB2 anymore( can feel very weak motor friction, no more recenter force) .
Before 4.0 installed, I still can feel every roll and pitch movment force as usual( before mod installed, my FFB2 work perfectly in original steam COD). But after4.0 , no more feeling.

I test it today, I follow a thread use Fedit? Since I did feel FF of gun and canon, I didn't test them, I only try spring twice.
and wierd thing happen, now, in COD, I can only feel recenter, while I can not feel gun, canon and air anymore.
how should I use Fedit to enable or disable specific FF?

appreciate!!

ben801ben801
Feb-12-2015, 09:07
Now I can feel FFB in COD
but
sometime I have all FF such as gun, cannon, air and recenter.
sometime I have only gun and cannon, without spring such as recenter and air.
sometime I have only spring, without gun and cannon

I didn't change anything. what make the difference?

I can understand how to use Fedit edit FF, but how to LINK or DELINK specific FF?

Barone
May-03-2016, 08:19
Does anyone know if there is a way to have a spring effect that don't lose force as the speed go down?

ATAG_Lewis
May-03-2016, 14:32
There is a small program called 'RegEdit'....You can tweak settings in that for your Sidewinder 2 FFB....Not sure about that setting though because I think that is predetermined by the game...

ATAG_Ribbs
May-13-2016, 05:39
This is the exact setup I use ...I think you will really enjoy it..works well ~S~

Cheers