PDA

View Full Version : Finished Redux Campaign Operation Sea Lion

I_B_Spectre
Nov-30-2013, 23:42
I finally made it through this most excellent campaign, having finished the RAF half of it earlier. My hat is off to the design team for this impressive offering. There were times I didn't think I would be able to complete a mission due to my barely adequate PC. I think the processor is capable, but my Win7 32-bit OS limited to 4GB of RAM is likely the limiting factor. If the skies weren't too congested, I got very decent frame rates, but when the sky was black with aircraft I was getting single digit FPS. This is in no way a complaint about the mission design. I only decided to give CloD a whirl this past August because of issue not the least of which were the stiff hardware demands. I think it will likely go better for me to install the 64-bit version and up the RAM to 8GB. No doubt an upgrade to more capable hardware would be a huge improvement, but that'll have to wait. I used to play IL-2 online daily, but in recent years I've been playing offline and my realism settings don't take full advantage of CloD's offerings. Still, I do it more for the sheer enjoyment with settings that please me. It's nice to have the option of delving deeper into the minute' if desired. So, thanks again to the team for giving us a campaign far and away better than that which came with the vanilla game. I hated to see it come to an end...that's how you know it was good!

trademe900
Dec-01-2013, 05:44
ram will not help with lots of ai planes on screen. That is cpu.

I have a very slow AMD X2 260 processor, good EVGA overclocked 560ti and I get good fps on max settings with 4gb ram, on ATAG with 90 players fighting. When I make a quick mission with a hundred ai planes, it will slow down very badly.

I_B_Spectre
Dec-01-2013, 08:40
I have no idea of the airplane count on the more congested Sea Lion missions, but I would be surprised if it was as much as 90. Maybe bolox or one of the other mission designers could give some insight. My CPU is a 2.3GHz quad core. I added the text lines into the config file that freed up more of my 4GB of RAM and it made a noticeable improvement back when I was working my way through the RAF campaign. It seems to me the Luftwaffe campaign incorporated more aircraft, but I have no hard numbers on which to base that impression. I may have to try overclocking to see if I can make some gains there, but I've always valued stability and longevity over speed numbers that are often more academic than practical.

heinkill
Dec-01-2013, 09:32
Hi, glad you enjoyed it.

The max aircraft in bigger missions is 40-60 but sometimes there are tank battles going on underneath you, these also chew up resources.

You can actually play Sealion Redux as single missions

http://airwarfare.com/sow/index.php/downloads/viewdownload/7-single-player-missions/487-bob-gamehub-mission-megapack

Which were made for players with less memory because you can adjust number of aircraft to suit.

So you can replay those missions tuned as you like.

H

I_B_Spectre
Dec-01-2013, 11:17
Wow, heinkill, that's fabulous! I'll download the light version and give it a go all over again. I know it's a problem trying to design something that will work on more dated, limited machines without "dumbing it down" for newer machines. Having designed two versions is outstanding...kind of like offering maps geared to both online and offline.

One question: I just downloaded/unzipped the megapack and see that the Readme says to copy all files into the CoD Single Missions folder. Should these be placed in the il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover folder or the il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover - MOD folder?

bolox
Dec-02-2013, 11:54
One question: I just downloaded/unzipped the megapack and see that the Readme says to copy all files into the CoD Single Missions folder. Should these be placed in the il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover folder or the il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover - MOD folder?

In the "....-MOD" folder for them to appear in your modded game. This was a change added with TF 3.00 after Heinkill had written the readme

Cybermat47
Dec-02-2013, 22:01
The Redux campaigns are excellent! Managed to shoot down a Spitfire (SH o C) over the channel in flames. Looked fantastic. And the amount of detail put into them is marvellous! The only problem I have is that I can't see any humans, but that's hardly Heinkill's fault. Every time I cycle through the camera angles, there's a different story. It's amazing.

I'm making videos of the Redux campaigns. The first RAF one is 74% uploaded with the Luftwaffe one coming after it. You can check my YouTube channel if you like: http://www.youtube.com/user/Cybermat47

bolox
Dec-03-2013, 00:01
The only problem I have is that I can't see any humans
Do you have a line in conf.ini like this?

SpawnHumans=1
(Should be in the [core] section)

This line is needed to see human crew to vehicles etc

Cybermat47
Dec-03-2013, 00:49
Do you have a line in conf.ini like this?

SpawnHumans=1
(Should be in the [core] section)

This line is needed to see human crew to vehicles etc

I do have that line, in both installs I have of the game.

It's a shame that I can't see humans, but I just don't see a way around it :(

Oh well.

Pancake
Jan-16-2014, 00:08
I bought this game after hearing about the 4.0 TF patch I think it looks fantastic but the gameplay just not there AI in 1946 where genius's compered to these guys, what really makes me angry is the german AI think there flying spit fires so they constantly get down on the deck and scrape with the british, so what happing Is i massacre 3 planes only to realise where the hell did my flight go there was 20 air craft 5 minutes ago, OH there dead.

AI in 1946 lot of the time you where pretty bloody scared off if you stick a ACE in a BF 109 hes pretty bloody cleaver hes going to energy fight you. AI was so god I never felt I need to play online.

heinkill
Jan-16-2014, 01:22
:(
I bought this game after hearing about the 4.0 TF patch I think it looks fantastic but the gameplay just not there AI in 1946 where genius's compered to these guys, what really makes me angry is the german AI think there flying spit fires so they constantly get down on the deck and scrape with the british, so what happing Is i massacre 3 planes only to realise where the hell did my flight go there was 20 air craft 5 minutes ago, OH there dead.

AI in 1946 lot of the time you where pretty bloody scared off if you stick a ACE in a BF 109 hes pretty bloody cleaver hes going to energy fight you. AI was so god I never felt I need to play online.

An upcoming hotfix should help with that.

Pancake
Jan-16-2014, 03:19
iv gone back to the 301 patch and im definitely noticing more survive ability for 109 AI- It seemed when they where put under pressure in 4.0 they would decide it was a good time to play lawn darts and the rest where brutishly hunted down by AI hurricanes. once i had a whole flight decide they where not planes but a certain species of sea bird known as gannets who had spotted a shoal of fish and decided to go diving in after them im not sure if they caught those fish they decided not to resurface. bigest problem is the lawn darts issue in 4.0 it some times a bit hard to find out what really happened but i was noticing a lot of lawn darting after the 109 took a few hits, which makes things a bit difficult and inconclusive because it all could be battle damage but there was simply too many instances of crashing.

i do hope they release the new patch soon id be interested if they can code the AI similar to 1946 and give them a lot more maneuvers, 1946 to this day i think had the best AI out of all the flight sims ever they where like fighting real pilots. i still can't believe that the dev's that made that game made Cliffs of dover. worst they just gave up on it, and now are profiteering from TF hard work, i really do think they should employ these people.